PDA

View Full Version : "MISB" Shockwave scam auction

llamatron
10th February 2011, 08:40 PM
Just saw this little nugget of lies and shit pop up on eBay Australia:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Transformers-G1-SHOCKWAVE-MISB-1984-/220737500674?pt=AU_Action_Figures&hash=item3364faf602

A few problems:

1) Claims it is "MISB" yet clearly the barrel has been removed from the box
2) Thickness of gray border around front of box artwork and position of Skywarp on back of box artwork indicates that the box is a recent KO
3) Silver screw visible on Shockwave's leg / handle indicates that the toy is a KO too.
4) Statement that Shockwave's sell for "thousands and thousands" is highly illogical. And false.

BUYER BEWARE

It also looks like the same seller is trying to pass off a KO Prime for $400 too...

kup
10th February 2011, 08:43 PM
Very convenient that the barrel is removed since the key identifier of a KO Shockwave is the purple barrel.

1AZRAEL1
10th February 2011, 08:46 PM
Very convenient that the barrel is removed since the key identifier of a KO Shockwave is the purple barrel.

Another telltale sign is the silver screws in the leg. They should be black according to the box art. As Llama alluded to in his post.

llamatron
10th February 2011, 08:46 PM
Was there a version of the KO with the "original" gray barrel?

1AZRAEL1
10th February 2011, 08:49 PM

Yes I believe there was. Hence why we can't always rely on the barrel. So far the most noticeable thing I can see is the screws.

Hursticon
10th February 2011, 08:50 PM
Good on you Llama for pointing this out, as I almost made the mistake of paying for a KO Shockwave thinking it was legit before learning what to look out for with the KO Shockwaves last year. :o

Be wary people and look before you leap. ;)

5FDP
10th February 2011, 09:02 PM

Just confirming what 1AZRAEL1 has already said; there are two versions of the KO Shockwave - one with a purple barrel (cartoon version) and another with a grey barrel (G1 toy version).

Also, neither version comes taped from the factory. He has obviously applied the tape himself and you can tell just by looking at it that it's not 25 year old tape e.g. no yellowing.

Sky Shadow
10th February 2011, 09:06 PM
Yeah, VP and I noted this here: http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?p=220294#post220294

I've reported it, but doubt it will come to anything.

Hursticon
10th February 2011, 09:09 PM
The screws are the best give-away I find. ;)

As 1AZRAEL1 said:
Black = Legit
Silver = Knockoff

Sharky
11th February 2011, 06:10 AM
do you think he is aware it was a knock off.. or perhaps he was burned and trying to sell unknowingly???

1AZRAEL1
11th February 2011, 09:42 AM
IMO I think he knows. Hence why the barrel is removed and he still says it is MISB. But then again, maybe he thinks because it is seeled it should be sold as MISB. I dunno, but I think he is dodgy.

Hursticon
11th February 2011, 09:42 AM
do you think he is aware it was a knock off.. or perhaps he was burned and trying to sell unknowingly???

That's actually completely plausible, but his wording certainly walks a fine line though. ;)

llamatron
11th February 2011, 10:02 AM
To me it reads like he is completely aware of what he is doing...

Skullcruncher
11th February 2011, 10:32 AM
To me it reads like he is completely aware of what he is doing...

Same here....

C.J.
11th February 2011, 10:42 AM
Just saw this little nugget of lies and shit pop up on eBay Australia:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Transformers-G1-SHOCKWAVE-MISB-1984-/220737500674?pt=AU_Action_Figures&hash=item3364faf602

A few problems:

1) Claims it is "MISB" yet clearly the barrel has been removed from the box
2) Thickness of gray border around front of box artwork and position of Skywarp on back of box artwork indicates that the box is a recent KO
3) Silver screw visible on Shockwave's leg / handle indicates that the toy is a KO too.
4) Statement that Shockwave's sell for "thousands and thousands" is highly illogical. And false.

BUYER BEWARE

It also looks like the same seller is trying to pass off a KO Prime for $400 too...

Thanks for the alert........

Never knew there were KO's that were this close to the real thing. I'll probably would have purchased that and would never had known :(

How did you determine that the Prime is a KO as well?

C.J.

llamatron
11th February 2011, 11:22 AM
Thanks for the alert........

Never knew there were KO's that were this close to the real thing. I'll probably would have purchased that and would never had known :(

How did you determine that the Prime is a KO as well?

C.J.

http://www.highendtfs.com/?q=node/17 - this site has a good guide for identifying the different KOs.

For the Prime I didn't actually look at it, just made a guess.:o Generally speaking though if you see a "G1" toy that looks like it's brand new and just come from the factory then it's probably a KO...

Robzy
11th February 2011, 11:29 AM
I reported it too!

:mad:

Jaisun
11th February 2011, 11:34 AM
Also, neither version comes taped from the factory. He has obviously applied the tape himself and you can tell just by looking at it that it's not 25 year old tape e.g. no yellowing.

This was my first thought, plus the fact it has a spear in it (isn't flat) screams hand taped. I'm no pro on KO detection, but the condition of this box/tape etc (looks like it was printed yesterday) would make me run away based on that alone. It's so lols how confident this guy is about the price he's going to get on this, considering any half wit collector will likely research before putting any crazy bids on it.

Skullcruncher
11th February 2011, 01:04 PM
New Question & Answer posted on the auction :p

Hursticon
11th February 2011, 03:41 PM
New Question & Answer posted on the auction :p

Just by reading those 2 Q&As, I'd like to retract my previous statement - This guy is clearly aware as to what he's trying to sell... And it isn't honesty. ;)

llamatron
11th February 2011, 05:12 PM
Link isn't working anymore... perhaps the item got pulled? :D

Hursticon
11th February 2011, 05:16 PM
Hmm, seems like it. ;):D

Sky Shadow
11th February 2011, 05:25 PM
Nah, sadly it's still there - eBay was just having a conniption. The idiot has reduced the opening bid price for the knockoff Prime, though.

Hursticon
11th February 2011, 05:34 PM
Nah, sadly it's still there - eBay was just having a conniption. The idiot has reduced the opening bid price for the knockoff Prime, though.

Damn! :mad:
I like how he says that the KO Optimus has been in a Glass Cabinet most of his life - Wouldn't that make him like 5 or 6 at max? :p:D
(The molded over 'Year' section of the stamp is rather indicative :rolleyes:)

llamatron
11th February 2011, 06:43 PM
The bidding has passed $100 :O

This asshat must be stopped... no matter the cost.

Demonac
11th February 2011, 07:30 PM
Just do what I've done numerous times.
Win the item, then point out that it's counterfeit, and pull out from the sale.

5FDP
11th February 2011, 09:37 PM

I wouldn't worry about it too much. They're probably just shill bids to drive up the price. And seriously, if anyone does win this for a high price, they get what they deserve by not researching it first.

That might sound a bit harsh, but it's the same with anything you might purchase - do your homework.

kup
11th February 2011, 09:54 PM
I wouldn't worry about it too much. They're probably just shill bids to drive up the price. And seriously, if anyone does win this for a high price, they get what they deserve by not researching it first.

That might sound a bit harsh, but it's the same with anything you might purchase - do your homework.

At the Parra fair you have idiots paying ridiculous 300-400% mark ups on KOs. They could easily go online and buy the legit item for less than what they are paying there yet they still go ahead and buy the fair KO.

If you tell them they are buying a KO, they just look confused back at you or indifferent.

Vector Prime
12th February 2011, 10:56 AM
$227.50 and still over 1 day to go! :eek:

Lol@latest question:

Q: Hi, this looks remarkably new. Can you tell me more about the history of the item and whether you are the original owner?
A: hi there this came from my fathers collection, he has had these for quite sometime in a glass cabinet. I Hope this helps. Goodluck

SkyWarp91
12th February 2011, 12:58 PM
Notice how there are no photos that are close up to the toy and are far away and most are just of the box?

Photographic Bastardry at its vilest.

liegeprime
12th February 2011, 01:33 PM

... and so llamatron tyransforms but get cut down by a big axe in tidbits throwing his life so recklessly.....

seriously though this is a good spot llama..... some poor soul is gonna be mighty unhappy when they receive their fake Shockwave :(... gone are the days when you can spot who's bidding from the bidlogs so at least you can contact and warn the poor sods of their error. hopefully its all shill bids..

kup
12th February 2011, 01:35 PM
... and so llamatron tyransforms but get cut down by a big axe in tidbits throwing his life so recklessly.....

seriously though this is a good spot llama..... some poor soul is gonna be mighty unhappy when they receive their fake Shockwave :(... gone are the days when you can spot who's bidding from the bidlogs so at least you can contact and warn the poor sods of their error. hopefully its all shill bids..

I am skeptical that the recipient would even notice.

gamblor916
12th February 2011, 02:54 PM
I don't get it. Can't people see that the freaking barrel is missing?! There's a picture right below it!

gdmetro
12th February 2011, 03:43 PM
At the Parra fair you have idiots paying ridiculous 300-400% mark ups on KOs. They could easily go online and buy the legit item for less than what they are paying there yet they still go ahead and buy the fair KO.

If you tell them they are buying a KO, they just look confused back at you or indifferent.

You have to point out the Kos to me at the next fair!

From reading this thread,.. I never knew just how unaware and gullible most people are. But I can see the danger from these g1 kos being passed off as legit. Perhaps these are people are just casual collectors who don't know enough or arent prudent enough to research or join a forum, but see this and remember their childhood and want it...I would never even buy a fig for that much before doing a minimum amount of research.

That's why i joined this forum before I really started getting into collecting as I knew that no matter how much I try to research individually, can't beat the knowledge of a TF community with mounds of insight and experience.

Makes me sad seeing the auction and the price being bidden up...

kup
12th February 2011, 05:31 PM
You have to point out the Kos to me at the next fair!

There is a seller that 'specializes' in selling G1 accurate KOs and super marked up Masterpiece figures. I don't recall seeing him at the last fair but he is well known by fans here who attend the fair.

primatives
12th February 2011, 05:45 PM
this guy has pulled the listing this is what i asked

Question:

Hi hows it going? This item looks like a knock off (copy). The real one has black screws and I noticed yours has silver screws. I also noticed the barrel is definately not there so are u sure its mint in sealed box. IS this really the real one?? Thanks

Answer:

I thought it was real and there is a rattle in box which is gun barrel and it is misb. When I bought it I thought it was real but now after you said that I'm unsure lol so I am going to cancel the listing till I know more about the toy.

kup
12th February 2011, 06:17 PM
this guy has pulled the listing this is what i asked

Question:

Hi hows it going? This item looks like a knock off (copy). The real one has black screws and I noticed yours has silver screws. I also noticed the barrel is definately not there so are u sure its mint in sealed box. IS this really the real one?? Thanks

Answer:

I thought it was real and there is a rattle in box which is gun barrel and it is misb. When I bought it I thought it was real but now after you said that I'm unsure lol so I am going to cancel the listing till I know more about the toy.

Congratulations on getting him to take it down.

However isn't he contradicting himself? Didn't he say that it was from his dad's collection?

gdmetro
12th February 2011, 06:36 PM

However isn't he contradicting himself? Didn't he say that it was from his dad's collection?

Yeah. so it shows he was lying. Atleast stick with the story if you're gonna lie like that.

Sky Shadow
12th February 2011, 06:41 PM

His dad sold it to him. He's a scammer too. ;)

Actually, I'm not certain that the guy isn't still scamming. As far as we know, he could be selling it out of eBay to the high bidder.

rampagesss
12th February 2011, 07:34 PM
At least he ended it, probably going to sell it to the kid with the $100 his mum gave him

C.J.
12th February 2011, 09:02 PM

We lost a comrade today, but he did not die in vain.......
Mission accomplished, Autobots
Let's take llamatron back to base....

LOL :D:D

Glad the item has been pulled of ebay. I could have been the one buying it and never gonna know it's a KO. I'm glad i came across this forum :)

C.J.

liegeprime
12th February 2011, 10:32 PM
We lost a comrade today, but he did not die in vain.......
Mission accomplished, Autobots
Let's take llamatron back to base....

LOL :D:D

Glad the item has been pulled of ebay. I could have been the one buying it and never gonna know it's a KO. I'm glad i came across this forum :)

C.J.

And knowing is half the battle.... the other half, well llamatron paid the price to know it:p:p

Robzy
13th February 2011, 02:43 PM
What a fool - trying to act all casual and noble like he's doing the right thing by pulling the auction... Too bad he forgot his first story (that it was from his Dad's collection) and also that the fact that many of us (myself included) reported the item and ebay forced him to take it down!

Loser!! :rolleyes:

Hursticon
10th March 2011, 10:11 PM
In the words of Janine: "We've Got One! (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/TRANSFORMERS-G1-SHOCKWAVE-REISSUE-/290543256737?pt=AU_Action_Figures&hash=item43a5ba44a1)".

Good thing this one hasn't been bidded on yet. :cool:

Oilspill
10th March 2011, 11:33 PM
In the words of Janine: "We've Got One! (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/TRANSFORMERS-G1-SHOCKWAVE-REISSUE-/290543256737?pt=AU_Action_Figures&hash=item43a5ba44a1)".

Good thing this one hasn't been bidded on yet. :cool:

But that one isn't trying to hide the fact that is is a KO... it says "reissue" which is what is often used to describe KOs.

Hursticon
10th March 2011, 11:49 PM
But that one isn't trying to hide the fact that is is a KO... it says "reissue" which is what is often used to describe KOs.

I suppose it's subjective?
You see to me, the term 'Reissue' being used is purely because the term knock-off obviously suggests something negative and hence, whilst maybe not intentional, is still a form of concealment.

You are bidding on an as new and complete set Shockwave, open for curiosity but never really played with.
This line just suggests to me that the seller knows more than what he's letting on, IMO.

Oilspill
11th March 2011, 06:26 PM
I suppose it's subjective?
You see to me, the term 'Reissue' being used is purely because the term knock-off obviously suggests something negative and hence, whilst maybe not intentional, is still a form of concealment.

This line just suggests to me that the seller knows more than what he's letting on, IMO.

Oh, yeah I agree. But be aware of any auction that says "reissue", because it is often used to describe KOs. Sometimes they say "chinese reissue". I guess they technically are a reissue of sorts, since they're using the same moulds most of the time, but they're certainly not an official reissue.

With Shockwave it is easy to tell, since he's never had an official reissue.

Sky Shadow
11th March 2011, 06:50 PM
Oh, yeah I agree. But be aware of any auction that says "reissue", because it is often used to describe KOs. Sometimes they say "chinese reissue".

Calling them 'reissues' or 'Chinese reissues' is just a way of lying to get around eBay's listing policies. There are genuine Chinese reissues, but this isn't one. :mad:

GoktimusPrime
11th March 2011, 10:57 PM
I agree with Sky Shadow. There's a big difference between an official reproduction (reissue) and a counterfeit (KO).

And just because a Transformer is a Chinese version, doesn't necessarily mean it's fake as there are legit Chinese reissues of Transformers (reference (http://www.highendtfs.com/?q=node/15))