PDA

View Full Version : MP Rodimus repair tips

kup
14th February 2011, 07:38 PM
As we all painfully know, MP Rodimus was released with a lot of painful flaws but thankfully there is a way to remedy a couple of them.

1 - Repairing the hands

Background: It appears that most of us have received figures with mis-assembled hands, specifically the fingers.

Note: Not everyone has miss-assembled fingers, I know of at least one figure which had a correct assembly out of the box but this seems to be the exception. Basically if your figure is able to close his hands without having the gun pop out then it's ok.

Unfortunately the above is not the case for most people so out of the box, chances are your Rodimus is only able to hold his guns as such:

http://kupscigar.com/fixes/mprodimus/mprodrepair1.JPG

This is caused by the fingers having been assembled the other way around. To correct this, do as follows:

- Slide the hand off it's socket as shown in the picture.

http://kupscigar.com/fixes/mprodimus/mprodrepair2.JPG

- Once you slide the hand out, be sure to pop off the thumb to keep it out of the way to prevent damaging it during the procedure.

http://kupscigar.com/fixes/mprodimus/mprodrepair3.JPG

- On the pin pointed bellow, identify softer looking end as this will be the point in which the pin will be pushed out.

http://kupscigar.com/fixes/mprodimus/mprodrepair4.JPG

- Using a nail or other solid metal tip, push the pin from the 'softer' end until it pops out from the other side then pull it out completely as shown.

http://kupscigar.com/fixes/mprodimus/mprodrepair5.JPG

- Once the pin pops out you should be able to remove the figingers and turn them around. Re-insert the pin and you are done.

Your MP Rodimus Convoy should now be able to close his fingers without popping out the gun - It isn't perfect as it's a very sloppy design to begin with an the gun not very secure since part of the socket is a movable joint but it is a big improvement from before as you can see:

http://kupscigar.com/fixes/mprodimus/mprodrepair9.JPG

2 - Repairing a damaged leg plate

Background: When you first transform your MP Rodimus, you will notice that the swivel joint of one of the leg plates will inevitably become very loose after a few movements. This is because the pin securing it is actually a screw and since the plate requires a lot of movement during the transformation, it eventually 'unscrews' itself out of the joint while damaging it's plastic socket by warping it. The plate eventually becomes very loose and drops off as shown bellow.

http://kupscigar.com/fixes/mprodimus/mprodrepair6.JPG

To repair this, follow these steps:

- Coat a little bit if super glue or nail polish around the screw hole in order to narrow it. Remember that you are not covering the whole, just reinforcing it so you only need to coat the inner walls of the socket hole.

http://kupscigar.com/fixes/mprodimus/mprodrepair7.JPG

- Allow the glue/polish to dry fully and then in a turning 'screwing in' motion, place it back into the swivel joint and then push the plate with reasonable force until the screw is securely in place as shown.

http://kupscigar.com/fixes/mprodimus/mprodrepair8.JPG

Note: Remember that the flaw of this piece is fundamental so the piece will eventually pop off again in the future. When it happens simply repeat the steps above.

For a permanent solution to the more fundamental design flaws, the best we can hope for is a 3rd party 'Repair kit' that replaces several joints and pegs. I doubt Hasbro would redesign the figure for their release.

kurdt_the_goat
14th February 2011, 11:07 PM
Heh, that's why i was confused in the other thread, your hands definitely were misassembled, but mine weren't. Glad you could fix it, and glad i don't have to cause i don't fancy myself on that one!

I think part of the problem with that leg panel is that it's not meant to be rotated the full 360, even though it can? Because, for transformation, you only need turn it maybe 45 degrees for clearance (as you clip the thighs to the shins) and then rotate the panel back and clip it in.

They really should have designed it with a wedge/stopper to prevent uneccessary movement.

kup
14th February 2011, 11:32 PM
I think part of the problem with that leg panel is that it's not meant to be rotated the full 360, even though it can? Because, for transformation, you only need turn it maybe 45 degrees for clearance (as you clip the thighs to the shins) and then rotate the panel back and clip it in.

They really should have designed it with a wedge/stopper to prevent uneccessary movement.

But you can't rotate it 360 degrees. There is a tab in the joint 'arm' that stops you from doing so. However you still need to rotate it at least 80 degrees when adjusting it during transformation and that's enough to 'unscrew' it off since the screw is very tiny.

kurdt_the_goat
14th February 2011, 11:42 PM
Ok woops, me bad memory! Well i'm definitely not going to try rotating it 360 now! :)

What i find weird about all these oversights is, we see deluxe toys using much sturdier methods all the time. None of the transformation movements used on Rodimus needed a degree in rocket science.

It's actually a simple transformation.. not much more complicated than Universe Sunstreaker for instance, made difficult by the reliance on every part being perfectly in place.

kup
14th February 2011, 11:51 PM
Ok woops, me bad memory! Well i'm definitely not going to try rotating it 360 now! :)

What i find weird about all these oversights is, we see deluxe toys using much sturdier methods all the time. None of the transformation movements used on Rodimus needed a degree in rocket science.

It's actually a simple transformation.. not much more complicated than Universe Sunstreaker for instance, made difficult by the reliance on every part being perfectly in place.

I think that this figure has been made artificially complex. Several of the joints could have sufficed as ball joints like the ankles as it has been done succesfully with previous MPs.

It almost feels as if there was someone behind the designer with a whip going 'MAKE IT MORE COMPLEX! *whip* MORE COMPLEX!!!'

Like it has been said, the core of the design is pretty decent, it's the unsuitable joints and a half assed 'Peg and hold' system that brings the figure down.

VERT
15th February 2011, 12:49 PM
I got my Rodimus today and found it so easy to transform. Got it right first go with my 3yr old climbing all over me at the same time :(

Good not to hard transform and no broken parts :D

I just did the repair job for the hands Kup. Works real well :D

KillinSpoon
15th February 2011, 02:41 PM
I had my leg armour pop off within 30 minutes of having it.
Scared the crap out of me, before I realised it was a screw.

Also, my hands were correct straight out of the box, so I guess that's one thing mine has going for it haha!

KillinSpoon
15th February 2011, 02:45 PM
I think that this figure has been made artificially complex. Several of the joints could have sufficed as ball joints like the ankles as it has been done succesfully with previous MPs.

It almost feels as if there was someone behind the designer with a whip going 'MAKE IT MORE COMPLEX! *whip* MORE COMPLEX!!!'

Like it has been said, the core of the design is pretty decent, it's the unsuitable joints and a half assed 'Peg and hold' system that brings the figure down.

This is so true. His feet/legs suck while transforming, there is way too many clicky joints that HAVE to be on the right click...(and are very stiff)
It would have been way easier if Takara had just put a ball joint...
Also the armour having to be pegged in after every time I move the toy is just plain annoying...

kup
15th February 2011, 06:28 PM
I just did the repair job for the hands Kup. Works real well :D

Good to hear! I can see how the hands thing can be a huge turn off for the figure so I am glad that this can be remedied.

Tallestblue
15th February 2011, 07:06 PM
Geez....I don't think I want Roddy now...

doublespy
15th February 2011, 11:31 PM
thx for the tips. i'm not quit sure about whether the hands on mine are misassembled or not. he can sort of hold the gun with fist half closed but if the fingers are pushed a little more inwards the handle would pop off.

so, should the "R" or "L" marks on the finger parts be facing palm side or the back hand side?:eek:

kurdt_the_goat
15th February 2011, 11:54 PM
You can tell using the middle finger (longest) .. if it's misassembled, it'll be in the wrong spot!

kup
16th February 2011, 12:43 AM
You can tell using the middle finger (longest) .. if it's misassembled, it'll be in the wrong spot!

Yeah that's right. Also keep in mind that the figure may also be misassembled from L to R.

1AZRAEL1
11th August 2011, 01:26 PM
I gotta remember to do this on my figure when I get home. I think my hands are the wrong way around.

Hursticon
11th August 2011, 06:20 PM
I gotta remember to do this on my figure when I get home. I think my hands are the wrong way around.

...And I'll have to check mine too this Sunday. ;)

Once again Kup, your work is nothing short of impeccable and your guides are clear and concise - Cheers mate. :cool:

kup
11th August 2011, 06:30 PM
...And I'll have to check mine too this Sunday. ;)

Once again Kup, your work is nothing short of impeccable and your guides are clear and concise - Cheers mate. :cool:

Thanks! :) However I wish I never had to write it. To me this is the most disappointing MP mold due to all it's 'beta' flaws that could have easily been addressed with just a bit of care.

Hursticon
11th August 2011, 07:27 PM
Thanks! :) However I wish I never had to write it. To me this is the most disappointing MP mold due to all it's 'beta' flaws that could have easily been addressed with just a bit of care.

I totally agree with you man, I don't mind handling figures with 'kid gloves' but this is taking that far and beyond. :o