PDA

View Full Version : Touring Europe

Paulbot
15th February 2011, 01:31 PM
I'm looking to visit Europe this May. I want to go to the lands of my ancestors, so Ireland and England, and I'd like to check out Italy (thanks to 8 years of Italian study at school) and some of the other Mediterranean countries primarily.

I was looking at the Contiki website and their tours and thought they might be a good option to see a wide variety of things without having to figure it all out myself and arrange my own transport etc.

Anyone done a tour like that (in Europe or elsewhere) and would you recommend it?

The idea of spending a few weeks with a group of strangers sounds more like a chore than a holiday to me.

sanbot
18th February 2011, 09:16 AM
It really depends on what type of traveller you are.

I havn't personally gone with Contiki before. But from my friends that have done it they tell me its more about giant piss ups then about experiencing Europe. They mentioned that almost every night they'd be hitting up some pub or club and then the next day most people would be too hung over to really care about sight seeing. So if this sounds like you then Contiki is probably the way to go.

I personally would go with Intrepid or organize it yourself.

Paulbot
18th February 2011, 11:07 AM
I havn't personally gone with Contiki before. But from my friends that have done it they tell me its more about giant piss ups then about experiencing Europe. They mentioned that almost every night they'd be hitting up some pub or club and then the next day most people would be too hung over to really care about sight seeing. So if this sounds like you then Contiki is probably the way to go.

You're the second person to tell me the same thing. Since I don't drink and have no interest in a pub tour, it looks like I will go my own way but might look at one/two sightseeing day tours in various countries.

optimus1
18th February 2011, 12:33 PM
Personally I recommend going on a tour through Topdeck.

I went with my sister back in '09 going through Europe from London-France, Barcelona, Italy and finished at Athens.
We did it Euro-Camping style, since we were on a tight budget and didnt really want to spend extra on accommodation.

From what my experience, we shared similar itineraries with Contiki but with a more sober crowd.
I prefer to call Topdeck - 'like Contiki but less drunk and much cheaper'
I can say this because of my friends who have been with Contiki and we also shared the same campsites! They kept on going long into the night after most of us went back to our tents.

I have been with them twice, through Europe and Egypt.
Similar people on each trip, those who want to enjoy the journey and the sights without the drunks on a Contiki Tour.
I also rarely drink, but will enjoy a couple here or there.

Also, I recommend Busabout if you want a more independent style of travel.
I would probably go with them if I had more time.

Good luck with your planning :)

janda the red
18th February 2011, 01:26 PM
hey paul....

my wife and i went on our honeymoon in august last year, we had both never left australia before.

we spent 14 days in england, 4 days in holland, 7 days in germany, 8 days in italy and finally 15 days in egypt.

IMO....half the fun of it all was getting out and about and doing it ourselves.
yeah.....you'll get lost a couple of times....but thats how you find weird and interesting things you otherwise wouldn't of found!

we did do a 10day tour in egypt ( private tour...just us and our guide ) but it cost a couple of grand extra compared to doing a standard tour. if you can afford it.....i'd highly recommend doing a personal tour, all the benefits.....but your not reliant on what everybody else wants to do, and no hanging out with people who just wanna get pissed.

whatever you decide to do.... man, your gonna have a blast!!!

its funny....all my friends who've traveled say "you dont know how good we've got it here" and i've got to agree, but you dont realise until you've been away.
soooooo glad we did the trip....it was awesome fun, and we came home with a new appreciation for all we have.

the worlds your oyster mate...

janda :)