PDA

View Full Version : Should I start to collect Marvel Universe toys?

UltraMagnus
16th February 2011, 08:48 PM
I'm a huge fan of the marvel universe and have been for years. I started to collect Marvel Legends figures from Toybiz but since have not and sold all my pieces. I have seen the new hasbro figures and also bought the galactus figure but unsure if I should start to buy these.

Personally i thought the toybiz size toys were better (unless someone can point me to the hasbro versions)

Should I start to collect these or not?

GoktimusPrime
16th February 2011, 10:51 PM
I prefer the ToyBiz figures. I'm selling mine btw, if you're interested in buying any LMK and I'll PM you a list of what I'm offering. :)

Lord_Zed
16th February 2011, 11:53 PM
Most people seem to think Toy Biz are better, certainly more poseable. I like the Marvel ones because they are on the same scale as GI Joe, Star Wars and the rest of the 3 1/4" lines, so you can have cool crossovers.:)

That said I'm more of a Gi Joe fan, and as I also collect TF's I can't afford to get them many anyway.

Tallestblue
17th February 2011, 03:45 AM
I prefer the ToyBiz figures. I'm selling mine btw, if you're interested in buying any LMK and I'll PM you a list of what I'm offering. :)

Sorry to butt in , but ust to clarify Gok, are you selling your Toy Biz Marvel Legends or your Hasbro Marvel Universe figs? Either way I'm interested.
please send me a pm but give Ultra Magnus first dibs.

Meangreen
17th February 2011, 07:55 AM
Well, I'm a Marvel Universe fan so I'll air my thoughts.

I think the key here is to think real hard about what scale you feel most comfortable collecting. 6 inch figures like Legends are always going to have more "presence", both in overall size and in some cases with additional detail that just cannot be achieved at a smaller scale. But as others have said, they chew through space. Universe on the other hand are easier to store/display and the fit well with Hasbro's other small lines. Also, in my opinion the detail and articulation schemes on universe figures are rapidly approaching an excellent standard, take for example the recent and upcoming WW Hulk (http://www.kittyspryde.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/WWHulk__scaled_600.jpg) Namor (http://insidepulse.com/wp-content/gallery/toy-fair-2011-marvel-universe/namor.jpg) and Cyclops (http://insidepulse.com/wp-content/gallery/toy-fair-2011-marvel-universe/cyclops.jpg).

One thing to keep in mind too is that Hasbro is relaunching the Marvel Legends line in 2012. However, don't expect them to have the same level of lavish paint and accessories that the old Toybiz legends had. Times have changed.

gantz
17th February 2011, 09:11 AM
Pretty much everything Meangreen has said :)

The problem I had with Toybiz/Hasbro ML's were the complete lack of diversity. They seemed to have ran outta ideas by the time they were cancelled.

And myself and a few others really did not think the detail was that excellent on the Toybiz, seems they just through ghastly black shading to EVERYTHING!

So I do MU, and save my bigger figures for the Marvel Select line.

Something tells me the new ML for 2012 wont happen. And if they do, will they all be TRU/Walmart exclusives we will never see here? a la the new 2-packs.

gekisou
17th February 2011, 09:51 AM
I collected Toybiz ML and still am. They are really good and Toybiz did a fantastic job with them (although it took them a few sets to get the women bodies right).
Hasbro's ML was pretty shoddy quality though supposedly they improved near the end... from what I've heard.
I haven't bought any MU stuff cos its pretty expensive and I am collecting other stuff but from what I've heard, they are good so if you want a scaled down version of ML, I reckon, go for it.

gantz
17th February 2011, 10:21 AM
I think one of the better things about Hasbro MU's is the huge range.

As they are at a smaller scale, Hasbro are able to produce more waves for the year, and the diversity is truly amazing.

GoktimusPrime
17th February 2011, 03:03 PM
Sorry to butt in , but ust to clarify Gok, are you selling your Toy Biz Marvel Legends or your Hasbro Marvel Universe figs? Either way I'm interested.
please send me a pm but give Ultra Magnus first dibs.

ToyBiz. I'll compile a list later either tonight or this weekend. :)

stencilator
18th February 2011, 10:05 AM
Send me that list too please Gok. Always on the hunt for more MLs.

Back on topic... I haven't collected Marvel Universe for two reasons.

1/ I'm in too deep with Marvel Legends and can't bring myself to start all over again.

2/ I'm a sucker for articulation. Toybiz MLs had some awesome articulation... down to individual fingers on some figures. I love the detail and the unlimited poses achievable with these figures and the fact that they were half the size and a tenth of the price of say Hot Toys or Sideshow figures meant I could collect as many as I like... and happily cut them up for customs. The smaller figures don't seem to be able to hold a natural pose very well and there's just not enough room for the details.

There's no doubting that MU has an enormous range and so much potential still to come... I just hate that it killed ML and therefore any further expansion of my collection. If I hadn't collected ML I'd be all over MU because it's the most common size across most toy lines.

twincobra
18th February 2011, 01:52 PM
I have a whole collection of ML but would like to start on MU as well but it's so hard to keep up with MU! did the juggernaut wave even get a release in oz?

gantz
18th February 2011, 03:24 PM
Dude, go and read the Marvel Universe thread for releases (or lack there of)

Meangreen
18th February 2011, 04:27 PM
Send me that list too please Gok. Always on the hunt for more MLs.

Back on topic... I haven't collected Marvel Universe for two reasons.

1/ I'm in too deep with Marvel Legends and can't bring myself to start all over again.

2/ I'm a sucker for articulation. Toybiz MLs had some awesome articulation... down to individual fingers on some figures. I love the detail and the unlimited poses achievable with these figures and the fact that they were half the size and a tenth of the price of say Hot Toys or Sideshow figures meant I could collect as many as I like... and happily cut them up for customs. The smaller figures don't seem to be able to hold a natural pose very well and there's just not enough room for the details.

There's no doubting that MU has an enormous range and so much potential still to come... I just hate that it killed ML and therefore any further expansion of my collection. If I hadn't collected ML I'd be all over MU because it's the most common size across most toy lines.

Fair points Stencilator. If you crave extreme articulation to the digit level Marvel Universe probably wont cut it for you. I recently got a bunch of BAF parts and spent a good few minutes fiddling with Ahnnilus' hand, very cool.

I have to say though, MU can't be blamed for killing Legends. It was having trouble well before the smaller scale came along.

I just hope that when ML returns both lines are strongly supported by retailers and the public. Though that's probably just a pigs may fly situation.

Paul Agnew
19th February 2011, 09:22 PM
Most people seem to think Toy Biz are better, certainly more poseable. I like the Marvel ones because they are on the same scale as GI Joe, Star Wars and the rest of the 3 1/4" lines, so you can have cool crossovers.:)

That said I'm more of a Gi Joe fan, and as I also collect TF's I can't afford to get them many anyway.

Speaking of the Joes, have any Persuit of Cobra toys materialised down here yet? Hope we get at least one wave, as it would be better than nothing at all.

liegeprime
19th February 2011, 10:36 PM
If you do start you would prolly end up getting most online coz the situation here in OZ when it comes to wave release is so random and plus there's not much definite source for it. I myself only collected select MLs and when I saw they reduced the size to these little buggers, I immediately said NO... not enough detailing for the retail price they go for is kinda a rip off for me...

I do still try to collect some MLs I come into during toy fairs along with my new slowly growing collection - DCU the 6 inches ones not the same midget figs coz I prefer more articulated and detailed figures and you just cant get that with the smaller ones. Although Ive seen a Galactus for the small MU's, he's cool and well detailed but the littluns, ah pass.. up to yuo though have a look around first of the figures available and if you think you like it and can bear just getting the stuff more online then go for it.

Ryathalas
19th February 2011, 11:20 PM
Make Mine Marvel Legends Anyday(Toybiz),I was Absolutely disgusted when I found out they were going to this scale by Hasbro,A kick to the Goolies as I see it,I shelled out over $1000 for my Marvel Legends Collection and they went and did this,Not happy JAN,But on a good note I did pick up the Marvel legends Kazaar pack for $10 from Uncle Pete's

foor
25th February 2011, 04:47 PM
See, it's the opposite for me. I was never into Legends because I was strictly a 3 3/4 inch collector. When Marvel went to the same scale as GI Joes, it won me over. I still got the few random Legend figures when they came out, but MU is it for me.