PDA

View Full Version : Botcon 2008 IDW Panel

STL
26th April 2008, 09:08 AM
Botcon IDW Panel Coverage
Lots of good stuff here - some new artwork too, check out the frontpage too for that in a little while.

- All Hail Megatron and Revelations will have different story threads and won't intersect too much.
- All Hail Megatron will establish a new status quo for the TF comic universe, no magic reset button will be pushed at the end to make things go back to how it was.
- Coming up - no more Masters (Target, Power, etc), but look forward to Combiners and Pretenders of a sort (they may mean the holo-humans). No plans for Predaking or Piranacon / God Neptune, though.
- The original 13 mini has slipped back to 2009.
- In All Hail Megatron, there will be no Autobots on Earth at all.
- Denton Tipton apologised for the errors up to this point, he is working to make them a thing of the past.
- No more TPBs of the club comics.
- No more Evolutions minis are planned.
- There has been talk of doing more Beast Wars stuff, but there are no plans to visit any of the other series, like RiD.
- Starsabre may show up in the first 13 miniseries - IDW are currently negotiating to see what they can and cannot use.
- The Titan UK comics from now on will all carry on the continuity laid out in the Twilight's Last Gleaming story.
- Simon Furman's next IDW project will be Maximum Dinobots, and will feature a lot of battles, Scorponok, the Machination, Sunstreaker, etc. Coming in October.
- A second hardcover collection of IDW issues is planned.
- The Dead Universe cast are all undead, zombie Transformers, and consist of Galvatron, Jhiaxus, Nemesis Prime, Cyclonus, and two others who will be revealed in Spotlight Cyclonus.
- Some more of the legends and history will be told, but mainly they want to move forwards with the stories. Nothing like War Within covering the past is planned.
- The Animated comic is going to be in continuity with the show, issue #1 will retell the pilot episode, with scenes that were dropped and from the perspectives of different characters, giving a different view on the story. It is set during season 1, and Oil Slick will show up in issue #3.
- The Animated comic will include some 5 page backup stories, for example in issue 2.
- The Fallen can be used by IDW, and may show up in the 13 mini.
- Reign of Starscream #1 will retell the Movie from Starscream's perspective, show you what he thinks of Megatron, etc.
- Wheelie in his spotlight will not be the show Wheelie, but they will explain why he rhymes after a fashion.
- Best of UK will continue with Time Wars, and the stories leading up to it.

__________________________________________________ ________________

It seems apparent now that Furman's original story is indeed taking a back seat. What makes me all the more curious is Furman's Sunstreaker/Maximum Dinobots story later this year. Won't that tie in with AHM? I mean, for AHM to be in continuity as they maintain, Sunstreaker and co. would've been alive and struggling for that entire year.

I'm not sure if they can coordinate such consistency. The 13 storyline is probably what interests me most.

Not so sure about the Animated comic. I don't mind watching it for free but the comic would have to be very good for me to collect it. Otherwise, I'm sticking to TPBs. Only G1 will ever convince me to buy single issues.

i_amtrunks
26th April 2008, 09:22 AM
I think that AHM will not show any Autobots, the focus will be on the Decepticons, their plans, machinations and goals. More of a vehicle to show how evil they are, and what makes them tick. In the background, Revelations and the MD (Maximum Dinobots) series will be more of the true follow ons to Devastation, and show the Autobot resistance fighting Scorpy.

Then after AHM I think we will see the 2-3 stories merge back to the one main storyline.

So we will have:
Revelations: Focusing on the Dead Universe
AHM: Focusing on the Decepticons taking over Earth
MD: Focusing on Grimlock Hotrod and Sunstreaker taking on Scorpy

Kinda neat idea, 3 different perspectives of events that will be taking place around the same time.

Gutsman Heavy
26th April 2008, 11:32 AM
- No more TPBs of the club comics.

lame.

Paulbot
26th April 2008, 04:18 PM
lame.

Agree. I was looking forward to one of them collecting the stories about the Classic toys. :(

bassbot
27th April 2008, 04:45 PM
well... those club comics weren't the greatest eva.....

depending of course on the storyline, the Maximum Dinobots storyline could well end with the bots OFF earth, leaving it open for AHM.

I do think the point above about simply not seeing the Autobots on earth in the series, but Shane McCarthy has mentioned we will see Prime and that, but that they wont be on earth.

griffin
29th April 2008, 08:41 AM
BotCon 08 Panels - IDW.

(Thought I'd put this in the existing topic, so as not to double up. Some of this may have been covered in STLs posting, as I don't have time to check what has or hasn't been mentioned already)

IDW team - Marcello Materi, Jim Sorenson, Denton Tipton, Simon Furman, Alex Milne, Chris Mowry, Marty Isenberg.

They want to steer clear of gender issues (like Arcee) in future, as it has now been dealt with, and has already had conflicts (Megatron Origin comic - artist added them in without knowing about the Arcee story contradicting their usage).

Spotlight Wheelie for June, art by Klaus Scherwinski, and written by Furman and Klaus. Reflector will finally appear in the Wheelie Spotlight.

'Revelations' will be a quartet of Spotlights:
- Cyclonus, art EJ Su, writer S Furman, Jun.
- Hardhead, art Nick Roche, writer S Furman, Jul.
- Doubledealer, art Dan Khanna, writer S Furman, Aug.
- Sideswipe, details not mentioned.

Spotlight Doubledealer will follow on from elements of the Hot Rod Spotlight.
Spotlight Hardhead will follow on from elements of the Nightbeat Spotlight.

The 'Original 13' Characters, could possibly be used in 2009.
'All Hail Megatron' Comic will have no Autobots on Earth - 12 issues, art Guido Guidi, writer Shane McCarthy.
No more Evolutions comics planned.
No Beast Wars or Robots in Disguise comics planned either.
UK (movie) comic will eventually all be reprinted by IDW. 'Twilight's Last Gleaming' is an alternate reality set after the Movie, in which the Decepticons won.
Furman is working on a Dinobot project, to follow on from the Grimlock Spotlight being set for release in October.
Characters Galvatron, Cyclonus, Jhiaxus, Nemesis Prime are all Undead Transformers, but see the Cyclonus Spotlight for more on it.

Transformers Animated Comic - to be 5 issues starting from August. Original stories, but within continuity of Season 1 of the cartoon. First issue will actually be a retelling of the openning 'Movie' from a Decepticon perspective. To be written by Marty Isenberg, who is writing all of the Animated episodes, so shouldn't have any continuity issues. Art by some South American who is new to IDW.

Question about Circuit Breaker in the Generations reprint comic. IDW and Marvel couldn't come to an agreement on here usage, so all panels with her in it have to be removed, and narration has to be put in it's place. The Titan reprints from a few years ago didn't have the same problem because they were a European publication.

They also showed a short slide show covering the All Hail Megatron comic, with covers for the first two issues, interior art and promo pics.