PDA

View Full Version : Project Shockwave

UltraMagnus
2nd March 2011, 07:00 PM
Hi guys,

I have a project for anyone willing to be part of.

History:
Out of all the releases of toys in the past 10 years, the TFC collection for me has been the best so far. Classics/Henkei/United/Generations... has been excellent also, but the presentation of how the TFC was done was second to none. It wasnt just the bookstyle boxes

I decided a few months back to design the boxes to match the TFC collection but for classics et al. I felt that the different boxes, different set ups have made the series confused and not complete as G1 was. Also, it doesnt encourage new collectors to buy a line if it cancels within 1 year and then gets re-released as another name.

After speaking to other third party manufacturers (FP/TFF), I realise they do this for love and for very little money. I am doing this for love and for the need to do something that hasnt been done before.

I investigated further to find that a licence to use "Transformers" would cost about $500k USD/AUD to do this. Now from a collectors perspective this is alot of money and you need to sell THOUSANDS of items to at least break even (something that I believe hasnt been done before).

I realised that the dream wouldnt be complete unless I had some helpers (which i am prepared to pay for!)

What I need:
- Anyone who knows how to kitbash/design toys
- Artist who loves drawing
- Writers, to write a series of comics to be included in each box.
- Anyone familiar with the manufacturing process.
- Suggestions

Well even though this is a collectors item and I probably could pay someone in HK to do it, I would prefer passionate TF fans to be part of it. If this is financially successful then yes you will be paid for your services.

Projects that willl be getting done
- Reimage of Classics boxes for ALL classics released toys
- Integration of Classics and fanmade toys into one box (i.e. Ultra Magnus plus Fansproject trailer and add-on set)
Creation of new toys for:
- Shockwave
- Dinobots (Yes all the others besides grimlock!)

Im keen to hear your thoughts, is this something you would buy? If so how much? Or would you prefer to buy the box, toy and accessories (and licence it from Hasbro/Takara) and make it official?

I will probably still do this for myself anyway, but if i put all this effort, I want to share it with many fans also.

gdmetro
2nd March 2011, 07:25 PM
Not sure if this is one of the criteria you mentioned... but always drooled and wanted something like this in terms of boxes.

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-toy-discussion/195059-g1-style-box-classics-jetfire-tutorial-finally.html

They also have pretty talented kitbashers/customizers over at TFW- to the extent I think the member "Venksta" is involved with FansProject.

UltraMagnus
2nd March 2011, 07:37 PM
Metro - this is great, but wanting to go to another level. I gotta do some digging around here in HK, but in this city its very very easy to get things done :) (as long as you have money)

UltraMarginal
2nd March 2011, 10:07 PM
Hey Ultra M,
How goes? I think it's a great Idea, extremely huge project. personally, I don't keep boxes much, mainly out of need to conserve space. I know there are definitely collectors out there who do keep boxes though, I'm not sure in the numbers you are thinking of.

The idea of designing and developing Transformers is something I've been tooling around in my head for a long time. If done well, there would be a fairly big market I think. At this stage i would consider myself extremely novice at toy design, but if you're looking for something in the future, and I have the time I'd be interested in lending a hand.

Definitely an admirable undertaking though.
All the best.
UltraM;)

Gutsman Heavy
2nd March 2011, 11:06 PM
if you somehow got a licence to make official toys of Shockwave or Dinobots I'd pay up to $200 for something voyager sized.

Vector Prime
2nd March 2011, 11:32 PM
This is quite an ambitious project :eek:

I totally agree with your thoughts in relation to the TFC packaging.

Not being a G1 collector, but recently acquiring TFC Hound & Blitzwing (due to a desire to revisit childhood nostalgia), I have developed an appreciation for the packaging they have used in the TFC line.

It is quite an exquisite packaging design with excellent box art and has even made me want to collect the entire series (even though I have no interest in any of the other G1 figures).

If similar type boxes were to be produced for Classicverse toys, may I suggest that they be made big enough to house the original packaging?

This may be an issue seeing as most boxed items across the various 'Classics' series are differing in size (whereas carded ones are roughly the same), but it would be nice to be able to retain the original packaging.

Someone like myself that (partially) collects MISB/MOSC items cannot bear the thought of ripping open the original packaging (even if it was to put inside an 'improved' or uniform box design).

I don't support third party items (like add-on bits & pieces or complete figures), however if it was an outer packaging designed to slip onto an original box/carded item (for the sake of uniformity across the 'Classicverse' releases), then it would be something I would seriously consider.

On a side note, as the lines have become increasingly blurred between the different releases, what constitutes 'Classicverse' and who decides what is or isn't included in it?

UltraMagnus
3rd March 2011, 06:48 PM
On a side note, as the lines have become increasingly blurred between the different releases, what constitutes 'Classicverse' and who decides what is or isn't included in it?

Great question - i think it will go back to the basics of G1.

The following is the list so far:

Optimus prime, Megatron, Thundercracker, Starscream,. Sunstreaker, Skywarp, Bumbleebee, Jetfire, Skywarp, Smokescreen, Jazz, Ratchet, Ironhide, Cliffjumper, Hound, Tracks, Jazz, Mirage, Sideswipe, Wheeljack, Rodimus, Rodimus Prime (i.e include FP work), Red Alert, Cyclonus, Scourge, Kup, Perceptor, Dirge, Thrust, Ramjet, Silverstreak, Blurr, Drift, Grapple, Wreck-Gar, Astrotrain, Inferno, Galvatron, Octane, Warpath, Thunderwing
and Ultra Magnus. (42 so far)
Probably include the FP insecticons as well.

I think once you see the design of the box you may like it.

Awesome suggestion with the box within a box. Lets see what they come up with. Ultimately I would prefer that the design is enough to warrant a HK release of the toy that can then be pushed to collectors worldwide.

UltraMagnus
3rd March 2011, 09:07 PM
Who wants to get paid for doing something you would do anyway?

I am looking for talent artists to draw up to 20 different classics characters for the initial production run of this series.

If anyone can recommend an artist, then it would be much appreciated! :)

Tallestblue
3rd March 2011, 09:27 PM
Not an artist...but a writer?

blackie
4th March 2011, 11:58 AM
im a mech eng student.......
designing transformers sounds like fun :)

SkyWarp91
5th March 2011, 12:08 AM
I'd be willing to graphic design AND draw comics for a cheap cut cos I love TFs too.

liegeprime
5th March 2011, 09:37 AM
This project will be awesome!!:D:D Sigh, wish I can contribute something, but alas I'll just keep my eye on developments of this project.

@gdmetro: that link of the G1 style box for classics in TFW is awesome too.:D

UltraMagnus
5th March 2011, 12:23 PM
I will need a writer and an artist!

Yesterday I managed to get a toy designer to help project manage this. We are looking at how to get the graphic art done, then prepare packaging.

We dont have a comic yet, so guys if you want to help write and draw this it would be appreciated!

Send me a PM if you want and I will send you details!

gdmetro
5th March 2011, 12:26 PM
I will need a writer and an artist!

Yesterday I managed to get a toy designer to help project manage this. We are looking at how to get the graphic art done, then prepare packaging.

We dont have a comic yet, so guys if you want to help write and draw this it would be appreciated!

Send me a PM if you want and I will send you details!

I would love to be involved... just don't know what I can offer. I guess I can help with the story of the comic!! :D

UltraMagnus
9th March 2011, 11:33 PM
Good news, I am expecting in a month some product demos to show the forum for feedback.

I am looking for a transformers artist to assist - any comic/graphic artist out there?

UltraMagnus
15th March 2011, 03:45 PM
Excellent news today, we have a company and a lead designer (who has worked on Transformers with Hasbro) helping build this new product.

The product will be.....
wait for it....

Autobot City! Yes life size autobot city.

The idea is when you purchase each Classics/Packaging you will get a section of the autobot city. The city is based on the TF movie (1986).

It should house up to 20 toys.

Some of the features.
- Autobot sick bay (where Optimus dies),
- Canon launcher (autobots vs devastator)
- Communications tower (blaster vs cassettes)
- Autobot Shuttle Landing bay

Size - as tall as fortress maximus, about 1.5mtre long as base, up to 2 mtre with additional items . Its huge. We will be breaking it up into 100 different parts. Cost of production is undetermined but it will be the ultimate playset for collectors.

The playset will also connect with Metroplex at one part (still working out the details with that.
We are looking at another concept that Autobots make Autobot City and Decepticons make a city connecting with Trypticon.

More concept details to come, with prototype expected around May.

Will go on retail expected around August/Sept this year with 2 Classics toys released each month (for 2 years).

Some additions based on feedback:

1. Core Characters released in United/Henkei/Generations/Classics to be released in first wave.
2. Comic should be a continuous series of 50 issues (each box comes with a 24 page comic)
3. Include Fansproject items (including Ultra Magnus, Insecticons, Warbot) as well as Arcee (Valkyrie version).
4. Comic should be written by fans and drawn by fans.
5. 10% of profit to be donated back to TF community
6. 10% of profit to be donated to charity

will send more details out shortly.

Paulbot
15th March 2011, 11:02 PM
"Life size Autobot City"? I don't think that's what you mean to say!

So the intention is to sell boxes for existing toys that come with an unlicensed comic and part of a build your own Autobot City? You're not planning to make/supply KOs of the existing Classic toys? (but eventually or at some point brand new toys for the other Dinobots and Shockwave).

Big goal and best of luck. If you're setting up a 50 issue comic series have a good story idea/s that can keep it going.

ITZTRU
15th March 2011, 11:39 PM
This is quite an ambitious project :eek:

I totally agree with your thoughts in relation to the TFC packaging.

Not being a G1 collector, but recently acquiring TFC Hound & Blitzwing (due to a desire to revisit childhood nostalgia), I have developed an appreciation for the packaging they have used in the TFC line.

It is quite an exquisite packaging design with excellent box art and has even made me want to collect the entire series (even though I have no interest in any of the other G1 figures).

If similar type boxes were to be produced for Classicverse toys, may I suggest that they be made big enough to house the original packaging?

This may be an issue seeing as most boxed items across the various 'Classics' series are differing in size (whereas carded ones are roughly the same), but it would be nice to be able to retain the original packaging.

Someone like myself that (partially) collects MISB/MOSC items cannot bear the thought of ripping open the original packaging (even if it was to put inside an 'improved' or uniform box design).

I don't support third party items (like add-on bits & pieces or complete figures), however if it was an outer packaging designed to slip onto an original box/carded item (for the sake of uniformity across the 'Classicverse' releases), then it would be something I would seriously consider.

Well yeah...but then you'd wanna keep the Sealed Box MISB as well! :P

UltraMarginal
16th March 2011, 09:49 AM
Excellent news today, we have a company and a lead designer (who has worked on Transformers with Hasbro) helping build this new product.

The product will be.....
wait for it....

The idea is when you purchase each Classics/Packaging you will get a section of the autobot city. The city is based on the TF movie (1986).

Some of the features.

Size - as tall as fortress maximus, about 1.5mtre long as base, up to 2 mtre with additional items . Its huge. We will be breaking it up into 100 different parts. Cost of production is undetermined but it will be the ultimate playset for collectors.

The playset will also connect with Metroplex at one part (still working out the details with that.
We are looking at another concept that Autobots make Autobot City and Decepticons make a city connecting with Trypticon.

Will go on retail expected around August/Sept this year with 2 Classics toys released each month (for 2 years).

1. Core Characters released in United/Henkei/Generations/Classics to be released in first wave.
2. Comic should be a continuous series of 50 issues (each box comes with a 24 page comic)
3. Include Fansproject items (including Ultra Magnus, Insecticons, Warbot) as well as Arcee (Valkyrie version).

WOW, that's huger than huge, :eek::eek::eek:I'd love it but there's nowhere I could set that up. Are you going to have the option of purchashing without the boxes, while I dont' have space now, i eventually plan on having a house and that would be a pretty neat display method.

liegeprime
16th March 2011, 11:22 AM

The product will be.....
wait for it....

Some of the features.

WOW!!, Glad Ive streamlined my collection display, now Ive got more space, this Autocity would be awesome!!... erm another suggested parts would be for an "ark Extension playset" something to house prolly the ark and teletraan....cheers!! Id subscribe to this! oh yeah that's another thing can we ( those willing Subscribe to this so that we dont miss out? it will be pretty frustrating if it gets sold out on some and the build up would be incomplete then...

reillyd
19th March 2011, 08:21 PM

I'd love to visit wherever you decide to build your life size Autobot City,
and it would make an awesome theme park :eek:

What I wouldn't give to have had an life size SCALE Autobot City as a kid! What would I pay for it now? Probably a fair bit, as as good as Metroplex was, he was not the compelte Autobot City.

The idea is when you purchase each Classics/Packaging you will get a section of the autobot city.

When I first read your thread, I thought ambitious yes, but doable. Production of boxes, well its main cost is the art and design - print one, print a thousand, you can just keep printing them. But given that you want to produce actual toys as well...... this seems to me to be in direct competition with Hasbro. I'm not sure they would agree to license at all.

I think the reason Fansproject and other third party manufacturers can get away with what they do is that they're small, but if you're thinking 50 issues of a comic that's a BIG production there. Before you start hiring toys and designers, you'd want to get a license in writing before investing too much work.

It would be a shame for these very GREAT ideas to go to waste. If you wanted to make a toy that big, for example, you could go generic like the Autobot Ark playset, that didn't directly infringe Hasbro/Takara's intellectual property. There's a fine tradition of third party products (across many toy lines, think of the generic Lego type products you can still interface with actual lego) that are designed to be compatible with another toyline, but not in direct competition.

UltraMagnus
23rd March 2011, 02:20 PM
I'd love to visit wherever you decide to build your life size Autobot City,
and it would make an awesome theme park :eek:

It would be a shame for these very GREAT ideas to go to waste. If you wanted to make a toy that big, for example, you could go generic like the Autobot Ark playset, that didn't directly infringe Hasbro/Takara's intellectual property. There's a fine tradition of third party products (across many toy lines, think of the generic Lego type products you can still interface with actual lego) that are designed to be compatible with another toyline, but not in direct competition.

Yes the idea is great, and ultimately its just a few fans who want to see something special in the line.

One of the great things about the G1 line is that is didnt change too much.

If you look at the past 10 years - there was Armada, Energon, Classics, Generations etc with all different packaging.

When people come over who dont know much about the toys, they instantly go to the TFC boxes as they stand out and they usually say how great they look.

We have almost 50 Classicverse toys it wouldnt be so hard to do boxes.

Issue is the licencing and how many we can do before it becomes major trademark issues (i believe 2000 or less isnt an issue)

UltraMagnus
23rd March 2011, 02:55 PM
Subscribe to this so that we dont miss out? it will be pretty frustrating if it gets sold out on some and the build up would be incomplete then...

Yes excellent idea. To make it economically viable for us is to have people sign up to the entire project (50 boxes) or just the autobot city component.

This would make life very easy for us as we'd know the popularity of the project before proceeding. if it ecconomically didnt make sense we wouldnt release it at all.

The question is if the classic verse exceeds 50 (maybe 100) do we then do a decepticon headquarters?

primatives
23rd March 2011, 03:49 PM
Hey Ultra Magnus, what about boxes that come with plastic parts to make the Autobot City???? So everytime u come out with a new box you get a new set of parts to add to the city, that way u get to keep the boxes in tact and build up your own and a city that is not easily damaged like paper and can be kept for long term?? That way if people like your boxes they HAVE to buy additional boxes to build that Autobot city!!!

If u can sell something that is better quality than that autobot base that was release (can't remember name) I'd definately buy those boxes!!!

UltraMagnus
23rd March 2011, 04:08 PM
Hey Ultra Magnus, what about boxes that come with plastic parts to make the Autobot City???? So everytime u come out with a new box you get a new set of parts to add to the city, that way u get to keep the boxes in tact and build up your own and a city that is not easily damaged like paper and can be kept for long term?? That way if people like your boxes they HAVE to buy additional boxes to build that Autobot city!!!

If u can sell something that is better quality than that autobot base that was release (can't remember name) I'd definately buy those boxes!!!

Yes - we thought that as well!

I personally buy 2 of everything. Once for MISB and one to display.
Alot of other collectors are like this - buy 1 to set it up, 2 to keep.

If anything, this project will increase the sales of Hasbro toys rather than reduce them.

UltraMagnus
25th March 2011, 02:55 PM
I must be able to persuade people to join a project...

Its not 100% confirmed but Dan Khanna will be our artist for this project. He is reducing his fee for this project and we will commission him to draw up to 100 characters for the boxes.

This is great news, and one of the project key components (the beautiful boxes) will be done by a beautiful artist.

If you haven't seen his work before, check out the following links:

http://unrealbooks.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=100&products_id=583

Will update more details.

I am assembling the core team in April and will be asking for peoples help. We will try and crowd source this project through a variety of channels, and I will ask people to assist as best as they can.

reillyd
26th March 2011, 11:59 AM
His artwork is just stunning. Can you imagine what a Sunstreaker box would look like with him oing it (click the link above to see Sunstreaker in all his glory)

liegeprime
26th March 2011, 02:21 PM
Wow! I think he has artwork, little posters of G1 characters up for sale in Ebay as well, they look so nice.

UltraMagnus
28th March 2011, 02:25 AM
His artwork is just stunning. Can you imagine what a Sunstreaker box would look like with him oing it (click the link above to see Sunstreaker in all his glory)

Its fantastic having him on board. Plus I think it will add weight to this project!

UltraMagnus
28th March 2011, 02:31 AM
Guys,

After speaking to Dan Khanna about the drawings, I need to know which should be the first 10 toys release under the "transformers classics collection"

We have 10 drawings and prototype boxes to build. So can everyone please tell me the 10 we should begin with?

Should it be figures that have just been released or figures that have been out for some time?

Tentative 10 (this may/probably will change)

1. Optimus Prime
2. Megatron
3. Bumblebee
4. Starscream
5. Jazz
6. Hound
7. Sidesqwipe
8. Wheeljack
9. Thundercracker
10. Jetfire

Please give me your feedback and the best 10 to begin with so we can make sure the project is a success.

We were thinking of doing Ultra Magnus (including Fansproject trailer) but need to work logistics and licencing as item isnt Hasbro approved.

UltraMarginal
28th March 2011, 06:56 AM
I would only suggest that yo swap out an autobot or two for a decepticon, though I'm not sure, perhaps a seeker/conehead. other than that, rock on.

liegeprime
28th March 2011, 10:18 AM
Hmmm I think we should start out with the original Classics figures , so the list will be ...

1. Optimus Prime
2. Megatron
3. Hot Rod / Rodimus
4. Starscream
5. Bumblebee
6. Astrotrain - purple henkei version in the box art would be preferred
7. Jetfire
8. Ramjet
9. Mirage
10. Cliffjumper

then later we progress to Generations series according to which figures came out first..that sort of order.:)