PDA

View Full Version : Ironman movie (semi review)

kurdt_the_goat
29th April 2008, 01:23 AM
Well, i wasn't going to do this, cause i assume most of you will go and see it regardless! But i figure, you guys usually get everything before i do, so here's something i get (to see) before you!

Lucky me got free tix to a premiere of Ironman tonight. Had to leave work early (they always have these premieres at 6.30 which is a pain in the ass time for me to make!), but it was worth it!

Anyway, i have no prior attachment to Ironman, other than his appearance in Marvel vs Capcom 2! So unlike Transformers, i may have missed unfaithful adaptations and probably wasn't as critical - but overall i really enjoyed this movie.

I dont want to spoil much so i'm just gonna comment on a few things, and try and compare to TF and some other superhero movies.

Ironman suit design - bloody awesome! I think this is a great example of how you don't have to change up the design of these characters too much, in an effort to make them believable. In fact i think he's more believable because of that - and his simple design and elegant colouring gives him a strong image that i felt was lacking in the Transformers update to the big screen. I don't know how recent this is, but i happened across this page while looking for pics of the new Universe toys - http://www.hasbro.com/transformers/universe/ - and i must say i was more moved by this piece of 3d than anything in the real TF movie. Nostalgia speaking of course, but there's something to be said for the cleaner face designs and those moments where you can take in the character designs and distinctive features. I felt TF in comparison was too fast in the action scenes, but hey i guess that's Bay for ya! Another comparison would be with Magneto from the X-Men movies - i hate hate hate that cruddy tin can he wears, compared to the awesome design of his helmet in the cartoons/comics. They joked about lycra spandex, but it wouldn't have hurt if the X-men uniforms had a bit more colour like the characters were known for!

Since Ironman focuses on the character of Ironman, it seems he's lot more developed than the characters in Transformers. He's obviously given way more screentime than all of the Transformers combined; i'm hoping this is something that changes for TF2, although i appreciate the 'human' aspect is part of the new movies success. Robert Downey Jr plays the character a bit cocky, which at first i felt was just his own personality coming through! But as the movie went on, he didn't get on my nerves like i thought he would, and actually offers some quality comic relief (no "my bad" lameness!). He's always strong minded which is a good character trait in my opinion - i got sick of the Spiderman movies cause of the emotional aspects Peter Parker comes up against ... and spends the whole movie trying to figure out!

It'll be hard for an Ironman 2 movie to top this one i think, as like most superhero movies, the first deals with the creation aspect of the character, which is what i find the most interesting. This really made me see how in Transformers, they kind of just show up with their story, there's a brief Cybertron moment and they go about their business. I'm hoping for all out war on Cybertron in TF2 - but like i said before, it's a shame where wasn't more of a focus on the Transformers themselves, and where they came from and how they were created. Considering the Transformers are the stars i think they'd be better served with more screentime than the humans. I should point out i haven't read the TF prequel comics so please excuse my comments if they're making you go "wtf"!

The special effects are top notch and there's some great set pieces and poses (i'm sure you've all seen part of the "walk away" in the trailer - it's awesome in full!)

Anyway, i'll close with that and hopefully you guys can add your thoughts when you get around to seeing it. In the meantime, someone point me in the direction of an awesome Ironman figure for my perusal!

Pulse
29th April 2008, 11:42 AM
From the day I first saw the full trailer, I've been dying to see this! It just looks so freakin' cool. :)

I've never been a fan of comics but as soon as they turn one of those Comic Superheroes into a live action movie, I just have to see it! (Unless it's something like "Daredevil")

Bring it ON!!! :D

TheDirtyDigger
29th April 2008, 12:10 PM
Daredevil rocks. One of the best Marvel movies.:cool:

Not reading your review coz I don't want the purity spoilt. :)

iceburn
29th April 2008, 12:15 PM
spoiler tags to be inserted plz?
thanks for the update kurdt...i cant wait to see it!!

kurdt_the_goat
29th April 2008, 12:20 PM
I don't think there's any spoilers :)

Kyle
29th April 2008, 01:41 PM
Can't wait to see it~ :p

Robzy
29th April 2008, 02:14 PM
Sounds great! Looking forward to seeing it! :)

sifun
1st May 2008, 12:00 PM
Its on tonight!! YESSSSSS!
seeing it after work with the misses.

The_Damned
1st May 2008, 02:10 PM
went to watch it today and i wasn't disappointed.best marvel movie i have seen

gamblor916
1st May 2008, 06:06 PM
I gotta see this flick, looks really good.

TheDirtyDigger
1st May 2008, 10:14 PM
Just got back. Pretty cool. Not as high as my expectations but still awesome.

Like Tf I would have enjoyed seeing less humans and more Iron.

sifun
2nd May 2008, 12:03 AM
It was freaking awesome, watch it.
Loved it!! Just how what i was expecting.

Wished there were more battling though, was left a bit dry.

Pulse
2nd May 2008, 01:19 AM
I saw it today on the spur of the moment & I've only got 2 words to describe it...

Friggin' Awesome!!!

SPOILERS AHEAD

The beginning seemed a little weird in how they started with Stark being captured & then they showed the preceeding 36 hours, & then back to Tony being captured again (I guess they had to grab the audience's attention first)

I lurved how the seeds were planted for War Machine & the last line of the movie, but like Spidey 3 with Venom, the name "Iron Monger" was spoken of only in the context of what Stark Industries had become - & not referring to Obadiah Stane's creation in it's own right.

Ooh, I can't wait for Iron Man 2 :D

Tetsuwan Convoy
3rd May 2008, 03:47 PM
I was a bit annoyed at how long the creation of Iron man took and at how short the final battle was. It spent more time on Tony rather than iron man. It alsmost felt a bit like a pilot episode in a way as a LOT of the movie was designed to lead onto better things in a sequel.

I am getting a bit tired of seeing all these movies made as part of something bigger. It makes some of them feel half done.

That said, I did enjoy it quite a bit!:D The bits where Iron man was flying about was cool and Tony Stark was amusing enough to avoid boredom setting in. Stay until the very end of the credits as there is a bit extra there too. (but not if its the last show of the night);)

Overall, worth the money I spent.:D The missus enjoyed it too, which I didn't expect so I see that as a bonus mark to it.

Kyle
3rd May 2008, 06:30 PM
Loved it. :D

lhec
3rd May 2008, 06:57 PM
great movie...even got the toy thanks to lcz128...:)

Paulbot
3rd May 2008, 10:51 PM
Stay until the very end of the credits as there is a bit extra there too. (but not if its the last show of the night);)

I wish I known that before I saw it. I read up why and oh man I wish I had stayed!

Kyle
3rd May 2008, 11:14 PM
I wish I known that before I saw it. I read up why and oh man I wish I had stayed!

I'm going to go watch it a second time... :p

STL
4th May 2008, 11:41 PM
I liked it. I think it's one of the best Marvel movies out there. I still think it falls behind Batman in terms of being a superhero movie but damn, it was very well done. All the characters were very well fleshed out. The trade off I felt was that you didn't get anywhere enough epic action scenes. That fight at the end had some seriously mundane phases.

iceburn
5th May 2008, 12:02 AM
cant wait to see the next Ironman 2 and have War Machine.... (if i'm correct)

Robzy
7th May 2008, 02:15 AM
I just saw it... it was FREAKING AWESOME!!! :eek::D

I absolutely LOVED it!! The script was tight, the direction and acting was great, and the effects were superb!

I can't wait for Iron Man 2 :D

TheDirtyDigger
7th May 2008, 06:06 AM
I'm going back again just to get that scene at the end of the credits.

Pulse
7th May 2008, 11:22 AM
I'm going back again just to get that scene at the end of the credits.

I've heard plenty of people saying

"Did you stay until the end of the credits? How cool was that? Blah Blah Blah... "

I never stay until the end of the credits of a movie :(. I'm sure this thread isn't spoiling it for anyone so... Can someone please let saps like me know what happened in "that" scene? It's killing me! :D

(You can type it in white font if you want to :))

iceburn
7th May 2008, 11:38 AM
is there really a scene at the end of the credits!!!
why didn't anyone tell me this..now i've to go watch it all over again :(

Kyle
7th May 2008, 11:40 AM
Spoiler:

Tony Stark goes home and finds a man waiting for him. The man turns around and it's Samuel L. Jackson with an eye-patch, says he's Nick Fury and asks if Stark thinks he's the only superhero in the world. "Have you heard of the Avengers Initiative?"

STL
7th May 2008, 11:43 AM
It really isn't that big. Wait for the DVD release. It's the equivalent of missing say Starscream flying off into the distance in TFM

iceburn
7th May 2008, 11:44 AM
hahaha i was just joking about watching it again.
DVD is a must. Thanks Kyle

Pulse
7th May 2008, 11:46 AM
Thanks Kyle :).

I've heard that you also see Tony Stark for a brief moment in the new "Incredible Hulk" movie.

Wonder where they're going with this? :rolleyes:

Kyle
7th May 2008, 12:08 PM
hahaha i was just joking about watching it again.
DVD is a must. Thanks Kyle

I did go back a seond time, but not just for that. The whole movie was awesome.

Thanks Kyle :).

I've heard that you also see Tony Stark for a brief moment in the new "Incredible Hulk" movie.

Wonder where they're going with this? :rolleyes:

Fingers crossed the upcoming Thor and Captain America movies will be good.

JuzMel
7th May 2008, 01:42 PM
Guess no one answer about the direction of the ironman figure for perusal. Ben ben showed me the Ironman repulsor figure yesterday, $50 for it and its about the size and height of leader TF figures or maybe the Ultimate Bumblebee size, can't really tell, it just looks big.

STL
7th May 2008, 02:14 PM
Guess no one answer about the direction of the ironman figure for perusal. Ben ben showed me the Ironman repulsor figure yesterday, $50 for it and its about the size and height of leader TF figures or maybe the Ultimate Bumblebee size, can't really tell, it just looks big.

It's the size of a leader but not as bulky, Mel. I've seen it and can't say I'm too thrilled by it. I think it lacks articulation though it looks nice. I'd probably grab it if I had money but right now I'm pretty broke. THen again there's always misappropriation. :rolleyes:

Borgeman
7th May 2008, 03:58 PM
watched it last night - will be going again :D

George

gamblor916
16th May 2008, 07:25 PM
Is this awesome or what
http://www.hlj.com/product/KBYMK-03

TheDirtyDigger
16th May 2008, 07:42 PM
I've got the figure. (not the HLJ one). It does look very cool irl. For the time being it is staying MISB.

Pulse
16th May 2008, 08:54 PM
Is this the same one?

http://www.collectoybles.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=3986&osCsid=9190524afd7de84a4aaa5c23f6283aff

gamblor916
16th May 2008, 09:03 PM
Yep it's the same, I'm looking around for the cheapest pre-order. I have a feeling this one's going to sell out quick.

STL
17th May 2008, 12:21 AM
oh man, i so want that. Must. Resist. Damn you, Gamblor!