PDA

View Full Version : united Kup backing card has a cigar?

primatives
29th March 2011, 10:53 AM
I just got my United Kup yesterday and anyone notice on the back of the card the Kup they used had a cigar??? interesting!

gdmetro
29th March 2011, 11:34 AM
Yeah... bloody tease. Takara probably had designed with cigar- but after being hasbro neutered...

1AZRAEL1
29th March 2011, 11:39 AM
Post a picture, I'm interested to see this.

gdmetro
29th March 2011, 08:18 PM
Here:

http://i1025.photobucket.com/albums/y320/gdmetro/IMG_0110.jpg

:cool:

1AZRAEL1
30th March 2011, 08:11 AM
Damn. I suppose they didn't want kids to buy it and think smoking is cool :cool: :p

Hursticon
30th March 2011, 11:26 AM
Damn. I suppose they didn't want kids to buy it and think smoking is cool :cool: :p

Judging by the amount of 10 to 13 year olds that are getting around the Illawarra smoking - I don't think Hasbro have anything to worry about. :rolleyes::p

Still, this concept seems nonsensical to me but each to their own. ;):)

GoktimusPrime
31st March 2011, 05:56 PM
Yeah, I'd say this is the reason. :) Typical of the Japanese to even want to design a children's toy with a smoke in its mouth (Japan = smoker's paradise... though China's worse).

Judging by the amount of 10 to 13 year olds that are getting around the Illawarra smoking - I don't think Hasbro have anything to worry about. :rolleyes::p

Still, this concept seems nonsensical to me but each to their own. ;):)
If you were a Hasbro exec, would you approve a toy with a ciggie in its mouth and run the risk of angry parents suing you, or would you opt to lose the ciggie and run the risk of having nerds rage about it in the internet? :p ;)

Ode to a Grasshopper
31st March 2011, 08:59 PM
If you were a Hasbro exec, would you approve a toy with a ciggie in its mouth and run the risk of angry parents suing you, or would you opt to lose the ciggie and run the risk of having nerds rage about it in the internet? :p ;)They could give him a voice-chip with a hacking old-man cough and the line "Smoking is bad, kids!":D

Hursticon
1st April 2011, 11:11 AM
If you were a Hasbro exec, would you approve a toy with a ciggie in its mouth and run the risk of angry parents suing you, or would you opt to lose the ciggie and run the risk of having nerds rage about it in the internet? :p ;)

Oh yeah I agree Goki, mind you for alot of kids in many areas, including my own, I don't think kids playing with a 'smoking' toy would necessarily see it and want to start smoking - Because in all likelihood, they're already doing it. :o

Bartrim
1st April 2011, 01:49 PM
So their against smoking but violence is cool right?:p

GoktimusPrime
1st April 2011, 06:31 PM
Had this toy been designed exclusively for the Japanese market then it may have come with the cygar since Japanese aren't that fussed about exposing kids to tobacco images (this is a country where smoking is far more socially acceptable than in Australia - they still have tobacco advertising on TV -- and remember that there was at least one Japanese Transformer who came with grog (which transformed into half of his weapon in robot mode!)) :D

Earlier today I saw a toy based on a character from the anime One Piece -- it had a stogie in its mouth.

Takun
3rd April 2011, 06:53 PM
They could give him a voice-chip with a hacking old-man cough and the line "Smoking is bad, kids!":D

I don't know why but all I could really think about there was the early Family Guy gags. Smoking - subliminal messages!!

"Lassie's out in the field - peachers' are commin' in mighteh early this year."
"Smoke."

SharkyMcShark
3rd April 2011, 08:37 PM
I see we're just running with the assumption this is all Hasbro's fault

GoktimusPrime
3rd April 2011, 10:33 PM
I'd say the decision to include then remove the Cy-Gar would more probably have come from Hasbro. Consider the following...

1: Kup's Cy-Gar only exists in Anglophone continuity. It's relatively meaningless to most Japanese fans.

2: Anglophone cultures like the US and Australia have proportionately larger and more vocal anti-tobacco lobby groups and anti-tobacco culture in general. Smoking simply isn't as taboo in Japan as it is in Anglophone societies. Smokes are cheap as chips in Japan where they still have tobacco advertising on TV - and Japanese people smoke everywhere... even in non-smoking zones. Even in a hospital while I'm having an asthma attack. Thanks alot あのフザケンな超ムッカツクめ! :mad:
I've seen a One Piece toy that's smoking a stogie, and of course, the Japanese-exclusive Transformer Heinlad comes with alcohol -- one of his accessories is a gord of sake (it's even clearly labelled as such!) which transforms into the back half of his rifle in robot mode! Predacons must attack him on purpose to make him hose them with free grog. ;)

My theory is that Hasbro was going to include the Cy-Gar to appease adult fans, but then later decided that it wasn't worth appeasing a minority at the expense of potentially aggravating the majority (i.e. children's parents). So while I suspect that this was Hasbro's decision, I don't blame them for doing so. I'd probably make the same decision if I were in Archer's shoes.