PDA

View Full Version : Sonicron (Not-Soundwave) Images

1AZRAEL1
30th March 2011, 07:43 AM
Images at Seibertron (http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/more-images-of-bts04-sonicron/21170/)

I love soundwave, but even I have instant dislike of this.

Shirokaze
30th March 2011, 09:56 AM
I can't actually decide which part of him I hate the most.

The massive chest?

The undersized head and shoulder cannon?

The proportions just don't seem to be right :confused:

Hursticon
30th March 2011, 11:52 AM
I see what they're going for, but unfortunately it's not quite up to par with my expectations. :o
As it's an unofficial, 3rd Party item, I am well aware that it could never be exact and that by the very nature of it's design certain limitations will have to be imposed - Not to mention this is a prototype. ;)

I don't know?...
As Soundwave is my favourite G1 character I find myself in the mindset of a HasTakTom purist and thus consider the notion of a 3rd party Soundwave partly offensive but I know that would make me undeniably hypocritical as I have bought many a 3rd party rendition of a proprietary character before... :confused:

I guess I'll have to wait and see where this ends up going. :cool:

kup
30th March 2011, 03:47 PM
I find this pretty meh. The concept is sound but the way it was executed is not. The body proportions are really bad even for Soundwave and the sculpt is a little ugly.

Lord_Zed
30th March 2011, 06:48 PM
Nice idea and I want a classicsverse style Soundwave too, but this is definitely not it.

Now that Hasbro has done Rumble/Frenzy tanks I wish someone (preferably Hasbro) would give us a new vehicular Soundwave. I know a lot of people use the music label one, or Hasbro's re released classic G1 one, but they are too G1 style for me and just don't fit in.

Anyway everyones already pointed out the flaws of this toy, you can't fault them for trying but I wish they would have picked a character who doesn't already have a bunch of toys in his likeness.

UltraMagnus
30th March 2011, 08:53 PM
This figure has so much promise, but since I have bought the Music Label one, I am trying to justify why on earth you would buy this?

I think the music label would be better if it could fit the Ravage cassette (from Hound) in it, but seriously, its still great.

LordCyrusOmega
30th March 2011, 08:57 PM
As much as i love Soundwave (who doesn't?) this is a miss for me. As previously stated the proportions are all wrong. This is only a prototype though so for now I'll sit back and play the waiting game.

Tallestblue
30th March 2011, 09:28 PM
ohhh. I had such high hopes for this guy.

kristofferrer
4th April 2011, 03:41 PM
he looks like he's wearing ugly Stilettos.
2 points for trying but I think ill pass

gdmetro
22nd April 2011, 11:25 PM
Pre-order for this guy is up at RK for $50... not bad pricing..

http://www.robotkingdom.com/services/eshop/main.php?action=details&CatType=&II=TFAOP08&lang=us

Tallestblue
23rd April 2011, 02:50 PM
Seen pics of the alternate G1 head for this guy on TFW2005.
Seriously thinking about him now.

Hursticon
23rd April 2011, 06:43 PM
Seen pics of the alternate G1 head for this guy on TFW2005.
Seriously thinking about him now.

I do much prefer the alternate G1-esque head too, but I'd like it if the Eye-Visor was slightly more narrow and I'm still concerned with the figure's entire Pelvic area as I can see some possibly bad issues arising from there. :o

liegeprime
24th April 2011, 07:18 AM
Pre-order for this guy is up at RK for $50... not bad pricing..

http://www.robotkingdom.com/services/eshop/main.php?action=details&CatType=&II=TFAOP08&lang=us

and then RK messes up your order....;):p

Hmmm i kinda liked it, but the waist joints are a worry for me, also it looks like its on heels - Dragwave?? Ah well mebbe it's look good when it's colored...maybe..

bowspearer
12th July 2011, 10:53 PM
Maybe I'm a lone voice here, but I love this- seriously proves that Soundwave can still work as a tape player and look amazing. Hasbro, take note of where 3rd party projects succeed where you fail.

kup
12th July 2011, 11:29 PM
I find the concept rather cool but I can't say I am too fond of the execution, specially the robot mode.

Sky Shadow
12th July 2011, 11:34 PM
Although it's unnecessary, this is the first third-party toy that's ever truly impressed me - I love the altmode and the 1984-Megatronesque legs.

bowspearer
13th July 2011, 12:59 AM
I find the concept rather cool but I can't say I am too fond of the execution, specially the robot mode.

Which really comes down to design vs engineering. Hasbro is always going to have better engineering than some third party, but you'd never see them designing something like this because of what some marketing "genius" has told them will work or not work as a concept.

It's ironic because, sure a micro cassette recorder might be considered lame by them, but if they took a look at something like that in stores, they'd still think it was really cool and still lap it up.

It's the reason why the brand has started to get more and more stale over the years in terms of original concepts and the homages more hit and miss, while the 3rd party stuff rarely misses a beat.

kup
13th July 2011, 09:14 AM
Which really comes down to design vs engineering. Hasbro is always going to have better engineering than some third party, but you'd never see them designing something like this because of what some marketing "genius" has told them will work or not work as a concept.

It's ironic because, sure a micro cassette recorder might be considered lame by them, but if they took a look at something like that in stores, they'd still think it was really cool and still lap it up.

It's the reason why the brand has started to get more and more stale over the years in terms of original concepts and the homages more hit and miss, while the 3rd party stuff rarely misses a beat.

I agree with most of of what you said but although some 3rd party items lack engineering complexity, some of the more popular ones actually exceed Hasbro's.

bowspearer
13th July 2011, 07:10 PM
My point was more that Hasbro can afford to employ a team of engineers each on 60k a year where the third party companies are too small to be able to do that, which can even be seen on retail costings.

Take a look at the cost of most of the 3rd party items. The early Casualty toys if they were released by Hasbro would have cost no more than $20RRP here yet they cost $50 each + import costs.

That's the flip-side of the third party stuff: brilliant design but killer economy of scale.

kup
13th July 2011, 07:24 PM
Pricing was not in my mind when I said my first comment. If I had liked that Soundwave, I probably would have gotten him at whatever price they are selling it for.

bowspearer
13th July 2011, 07:36 PM
Pricing was not in my mind when I said my first comment. If I had liked that Soundwave, I probably would have gotten him at whatever price they are selling it for.

I realise that- I was more making a general comment about the irony of it- how lazy Hasbro have become with their resources and economy of scale, compared to what 3rd party companies manage to do with next to nothing.

Ultra Mackness
30th July 2011, 05:55 PM
Has anyone else taken the plunge on this? It was my first third party figure and I wanted to try at least one third party fig before dropping any cash on pp05. I've found it to be pretty cool, except the pelvis region is very loose and it takes a few transformations to get all of the parts to move properly and align properly. The Box is also very cool, very similar to the special edition classics that were out a few years ago, but its held closed with magnets, not the velcro tabs - love Hasbro to have picked up on that!

Tallestblue
15th August 2011, 05:31 PM
I'm tempted after seeing som pics of theis guy transformed correctly with that extra waist piece makes him look less boxy.

reillyd
16th August 2011, 06:17 PM
I'm tempted after seeing som pics of theis guy transformed correctly with that extra waist piece makes him look less boxy.

I just broke down and ordered one to keep United Rumble and Frenzy company.