PDA

View Full Version : How To Fix Stress Marks

Oilspill
31st March 2011, 12:25 AM
One Easy Step to Stress Reduction

A while back during some conversation about whitening toys with H2O2, someone mentioned that stress marks could be fixed really easily. All it takes is a little while under a hair dryer. I've performed a few tests to get a better understanding of the pros & cons of this. Anyone who has had success or failure using the hair dryer trick, feel free to post here.

Test #1 - Roller Force

I tried this out a couple of weeks ago on a G1 Micromaster Roller Force who had a decent sized stress mark on the front of his car mode. Put the hair dryer on the highest setting and pointed it as best as I could at the general area of the stress mark (which, given that a Micromaster is way smaller than the mouth of a hair dryer, was pretty much the entire figure).

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_ow2WKW4STsA/TZMrVRd5HHI/AAAAAAAAArk/_1l6JfuS79I/Stress-marks.jpg

Badda-bing badda-boom! It couldn't have worked better. The photos are way out of focus with my crappy iPhone camera, but I can no longer see where the stress mark was to the naked eye. Success!

I haven't tried this with any other figures yet, and you'd want to be careful not to melt some types of plastic I would assume, and who knows how it will affect stickers, but it seems like a very useful trick :cool:

UPDATE:

Test #2 - Devastator:
A couple of stress marks inside Devastator's forearm. These were more than just stress marks, as the plastic is bent and weakened at this area.
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_ow2WKW4STsA/TZik9hrhdxI/AAAAAAAAAsQ/GK3aOhecWyY/Stress-marks-2---Devastator.jpg
The stress mark was hugely reduced, although it is still visible in person. This plastic seemed to take a lot longer and it was a good few minutes under the heat. I was also able to bend the plastic back into shape a bit better when it was hot, seems more solid now.

BUT: when I went to attach the arm back onto Devy some time later, the hole was now too small for the peg (actually it kinda fit on, but it took mighty effort and was too tight to rotate). So I had to scrape out a little plastic from inside the hole. I probably could have just reheated it then reattached it, but it was late and I didn't want to wake up my GF with the noise of the hairdryer :o. Over all this was no big deal and still a success.

Test #3 - Classics Hot Rod (2006).
You can see this guy has a massive stress mark, and another smaller one. It's been like this since I got him. The two pins don't seem to have been aligned right, so theres actually some cracked plastic (not visible in the pic) and he doesn't align perfectly in alt mode.
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_ow2WKW4STsA/TZik-EB_V0I/AAAAAAAAAsU/AsDwMlUXPj0/s576/Stress-marks-3---Hot-Rod.jpg
This took quite a bit of time (4 -5 mins bu not constant) and was tricky to get at. You can see afterwards the stress marks are 95% gone (they are still slightly visible). However, I think his plastic is not quite as robust as G1 plastic, as there is some very minor melting visible near to where the stress mark was (some of the edges are a little more rounded off than they should be and the area is a little glossier). Not really an issue at all, as you don't notice it unless you're practically looking at him with a magnifying glass. Also, like Devastator, I think some parts have slightly expanded/shifted as it is now quite tricky to slide out his right shoulder from the hood. But it still works so overall this is still an improvement.

Test #4 - Powerglide
This guy had not one, not two, but three stress marks. The one on his right wing also looked much worse than it does in the photo.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_ow2WKW4STsA/TZik9q-wy8I/AAAAAAAAAsM/3Iv2QpyrJPk/Stress-marks-4---Powerglide.jpg
Beautiful result! The one on the wing went very quickly (30 seconds or so) and is no longer visible at all The one on the tail I had under heat for maybe 4 minutes or so, and it still never entirely went away, it is much improved though. The one on the right engine thing took maybe a minute and went away entirely.
I took this as an opportunity to find out what the heat would do to the rub symbols. I attempted to shield the symbol with my finger as much as I could, but that one stress mark is about 1mm away from it, so for that it was definitely getting blasted with heat. As you can see in the centre pic, the rub symbol still works fine, but the edge near the stress mark (left side of the centre pic) is now darker than the rest. A better result than I was expecting.

Overall: Works great, but try not to expose any joints to too much heat. The plastic in modern figures may not be as durable as G1 figures. Use at your own risk.

liegeprime
31st March 2011, 02:03 AM
How long did you expose the figure man? I have a Powerglide that has a stress mark on its rear fin and I think I might try this.

Oilspill
31st March 2011, 03:13 AM
I just kept the heat on and it slowly faded away. I'd say it was no more than 45 seconds. Actually you just reminded me that my G1 Powerglide has stress marks as well. Think I'll have a shot at him too.

1AZRAEL1
31st March 2011, 07:40 AM
That is brilliant!!! I am going to have to try it on the Micros that I have with stress marks. And Classics Hotrod I will try it on as well.

kup
31st March 2011, 08:38 AM
This is fantastic. No one that I know of has tried this before. Another revolutionary discovery!

Doubledealer
31st March 2011, 01:16 PM
Excellent work, Oilspill! Definitely going to be trying this. :)

UltraMarginal
31st March 2011, 01:28 PM
great idea, I'd be interested to know if you have noticed any change in the material properties of the plastic? does it seem harder or softer, is it more bendy or stiffer?

I ask because heating and cooling materials can effect these things, and if the plastic has heated enough to release internal stress like that it may have effected the part in other ways.

If there are no significant side effects, this would be great news for collectors everywhere!!:cool:

SkyWarp91
1st April 2011, 12:55 AM
Can anyone try this technique on junker pieces and see what happens if you do it too long?

Robzy
1st April 2011, 02:27 AM
Can anyone try this technique on junker pieces and see what happens if you do it too long?
You mean like a variation of 'Will it Blend?'? :p

SkyWarp91
1st April 2011, 03:02 AM
You mean like a variation of 'Will it Blend?'? :p

Exactly lol.

Oilspill
1st April 2011, 05:41 AM
Didn't notice any change in the (tiny bit of) plastic.

In the next day or two I'll try it with my G1 Powerglide and try and take some better shots.

The stress mark is rather close to a rub sign though, so I will see how that goes.

1orion2many
1st April 2011, 01:50 PM
Your rub sign will be a permanent sign:D

Oilspill
4th April 2011, 03:36 AM
In the name of science, I've tested this out on three more figures. Check the 1st post for details :)

blackoptimus
4th April 2011, 04:08 PM
RIP G1 Blurr, it's turned into melted cheese. :(

kup
4th April 2011, 04:46 PM
RIP G1 Blurr, it's turned into melted cheese. :(

What did you do?

SkyWarp91
4th April 2011, 05:49 PM
Sounds like blackoptimus had the hair dryer on for too long/close/hot?

blackoptimus
4th April 2011, 07:09 PM
lol I got soo excited cause I was looking at the stress mark then it went away in front of my eyes, then I stopped it but the plastic curved, so I did it again the other way then looked at it and the thing is warped as! lol panels etc. was warped.

Oilspill
5th April 2011, 02:24 AM
Oh no that sucks, maybe your hair dryer is stronger than mine or something? Did the plastic curve after the dryer was off? That sounds weird! :(

UltraMarginal
5th April 2011, 12:02 PM
lol I got soo excited cause I was looking at the stress mark then it went away in front of my eyes, then I stopped it but the plastic curved, so I did it again the other way then looked at it and the thing is warped as! lol panels etc. was warped.

I don't want to rub salt in the wounds but would you mind posting some pics so we can see the damage, would be an effective warning for those looking at doing this to rare figures, or those with thin panels.

Lordy
5th April 2011, 07:14 PM
Thanks for the tip, I have a Classics Hot Rod who has stress marks on him, will be nice to tidy him up.

Oilspill
5th April 2011, 07:44 PM
Thanks for the tip, I have a Classics Hot Rod who has stress marks on him, will be nice to tidy him up.

Be super careful, as I said his plastic seems more susceptible to melting and if it's near any joints try and keep them moving as you do it to ensure they don't warp/expand. I've heard the newer BIS Hot Rod has cheaper feeling plastic too, so that might be even worse.

Also as a general note, I think most hair dryers come with an attachment to narrow the airflow, like the bit in the bottom of this pic:
http://www.divavillage.com/images/Oct05/fhi_nano_blow_dryer_508.jpg

I've been using the attachment to help focus the flow.

kup
6th April 2011, 10:48 AM
I think that the reason why the stress mark disapears is because you are actually melting a thin surface layer of the plastic which covers up the opened gaps formed when the plastic was stressed (stretched).

Despite Backoptimus' mishap, this method still seems very sound for fixing stress marks. Naturally a careful hand, common sense and measured application is needed when executing it so be very careful.

UltraMarginal
7th April 2011, 01:37 PM
I would also suggest cutting a shape out of a piece of paper or card to hold near the stress mark to further focus the stream of hot air. won't be perfect but it may help, especially in locations near thinner panels that may warp easier.

liegeprime
24th April 2011, 07:06 AM
Hmmm never mind then, I think I wont try it with powerglide... I can live with the stress mark but not with a melted figure.. the position the mark is iin is quite hard to get so I'd rather leave it than be sorry....

SharkyMcShark
27th May 2011, 06:05 PM
Fixed the living hell out of a stress marked shoulder flap on my DOTM Skyhammer using this technique.

Kyle
28th May 2011, 08:13 AM
This is brilliant!

Jetfire in the sky
30th May 2011, 08:53 PM
Science wins again :)
Great thread, way to go

Geminii
11th June 2011, 09:03 PM
Hmmm never mind then, I think I wont try it with powerglide... I can live with the stress mark but not with a melted figure.. the position the mark is iin is quite hard to get so I'd rather leave it than be sorry....

Curl and tape a piece of paper into a cone, cut off just the barest end of the tip, and hold it right up to (but not touching) the area you want to heat. Bring the dryer closer to the open end of the cone to crank up the heat, and back it off a bit to take things slowly.

k.wong23
12th June 2011, 11:52 AM
I tried this on my G1 Devastator waist connector piece as one of the tabs where scrapper connects got a stress mark. I did this with my hairdryer and a cone of thick paper for several minutes and it didn't work for me :( My hands were almost burning from holding the paper !! lol so be warned :p

Used a pair of scissors in the end to hold the paper.

TF76
3rd August 2011, 01:53 PM
Just tried this on my Hotrod's elbows from the 2 pack (with Cyclonus) and it worked great.

I have a few more to try now

Chevron Action Flash
19th January 2015, 11:54 AM
Hi. I'm new here. Glad to be a part of the site. I just tried this method on my Combiner Wars Powerglide which had a factory stress mark on the wing joint. Rather than a hair dryer, I used boiling water as it was more precise. I just boiled the kettle and ran a stream of water from the spout. Holding the stress mark under the stream seemed to make a huge difference. While the stress mark is not perfect it is 80% improved.

Raider
21st January 2015, 01:53 PM
Huge necro bump but boy am I glad you did that! I had no idea about this trick. What a handy little way to get rid of stress marks. Going to try this at home tonight.

lancalot
21st January 2015, 07:42 PM
Hi. I'm new here. Glad to be a part of the site. I just tried this method on my Combiner Wars Powerglide which had a factory stress mark on the wing joint. Rather than a hair dryer, I used boiling water as it was more precise. I just boiled the kettle and ran a stream of water from the spout. Holding the stress mark under the stream seemed to make a huge difference. While the stress mark is not perfect it is 80% improved.

thanks the awesome to know..... :cool:

TF76
21st January 2015, 09:24 PM
Maybe a seniors moment or maybe I haven't posted for a long long time time.

I was reading this thread and was thinking out loud "This is awesome I must try this"

Then on page 2 I read a post by me saying I'd sucesfull used it a while back lol :p

BigTransformerTrev
21st January 2015, 10:47 PM
Well my wife is going to give borth to our second child in a weeks time so I know she would be very interested to hear of any tips that...

...oh wait - the thread says stress marks - sorry, my mistake :o

TF76
22nd January 2015, 01:08 AM
At least you realized now befor you got the hair dryer onto her. ;)