PDA

View Full Version : MP-02 Ultra magnus

Tropisetron
1st May 2008, 10:37 AM
Hi guys,

Not sure if this thread has been created but I'm just looking around for a MP 02 ultra magnus.... not intending to buy now as the price a pop cost at least 200 nowadays.

Just some questions, when it was sold in target few years ago, how much was it? Will it be the same for MP 01 coming out in a few months time?

How does the figure fare?

Thanx guys!

TheDirtyDigger
1st May 2008, 10:49 AM
Long before I even knew what toy scalping was and I'd never even heard of an Ozformer I found a dozen of them in an outer suburban Target @ $89 each.

I grabbed two and put one on ebay. $180 sale!:eek: I was a bit gobsmacked. I went back and got them all and proceeded to sell them. Never getting less that $180 and on two occasions I got $270 each for him.

Now I have 1 left.
Needless to say I love him heaps. The whiteness with green highlights and red eyes really works for me. My favourite Masterpiece for more reasons than one.

Great figure. Get it if you can.

FWIW I think it came out at $125 but by the time I got them all @$89 they had been out for about a year and it was just chance I lucked upon so many.

Paulbot
1st May 2008, 10:57 AM
They were not $89 when they first came out, only after they shelfwarmed for quite sometime. I recall it as being about $110 but think that too might have been a discount price.

I would guess that when Target get their next Masterpiece in it will be probably priced at the same price as Ultimate Bumblebee.

Tropisetron
1st May 2008, 11:07 AM
Hmm... when the MP-01 comes out, i don't think it will be a shelf-warmer any longer with all these transformers hypes!

Even with full price, i think the figure will all be gone. What do you guys think?

kup
1st May 2008, 11:19 AM
I may get Target MP-1 to keep MIB. My one has begun to flake considerably in the legs and a bit on the chest.

Paulbot
1st May 2008, 11:28 AM
The other releases of Hasbro's Masterpiece Prime have all sold very well so this one should too.

The only catch is the box. I think that in the case of Ultra Magnus, not being able to see the toy itself hurt it's sales because it looked more like a model kit (and an unpainted one at that). And it didn't help that the box was covered in a foreign language that couldn't sell the toy. "What's this $100+ foreign knockoff of Optimus Prime in the wrong colours?".

However I think Prime would still sell better than Ultra Magnus, because he will be easily recognised as Optimus Prime.

i_amtrunks
1st May 2008, 11:55 AM
I think he first came out at $149 because I had to force myself to wait for an upcoming sale.

Sale price was $120 or something.

2 years later I bought him for $80 from the Penrith store, where 3 of the other 4 figures had been trashed by some bratty kids. Legs ripped off, box shredded, missing arms, cracked chest pieces. Pure Carnage.

Easily my favourite high end figure.

kup
1st May 2008, 12:07 PM
The other releases of Hasbro's Masterpiece Prime have all sold very well so this one should too.

The only catch is the box. I think that in the case of Ultra Magnus, not being able to see the toy itself hurt it's sales because it looked more like a model kit (and an unpainted one at that). And it didn't help that the box was covered in a foreign language that couldn't sell the toy. "What's this $100+ foreign knockoff of Optimus Prime in the wrong colours?".

However I think Prime would still sell better than Ultra Magnus, because he will be easily recognised as Optimus Prime.

I think you are right. When I first saw the toy in Target I wasn't even aware of the Masterpiece line as I wasn't keeping up with toy news. Although from my childhood I knew about the original 'G1 white Prime' Ultra Magnus but it didn't dawn on me when I saw the box and the first thing I thought was "Why do white Prime??". I knew it was legit because I was familiar with Takara and that they did their own releases but aside from that, I knew zero about the toy or the MP line.

Well, I bought him anyway as it was the last one, the box seemed kinda light for its size but I could tell that there was stuff inside (a lot of rattleling) but because I wasn't at all familiar with the Masterpiece line, I didn't think much of that. I bought it, took it home and then opened it....and Bang! The toy in the box wasn't Ultra Magnus but some half assembled purple model kit of some insect like alien spaceship that I could not recognize! The parts were mostly loose and what was assembled looked wrong. By now I had read 'Ultra Magnus' on the box and remembered the G1 'white Prime and this thing looked nothing like it.

I soon realized that some jerk had stuffed the box filled with junk and then returned it to Target for a refund who they simply placed back on the shelf without checking. immediately I went online and researched the Masterpiece line and became educated in exactly what the line and the toy was.

The very next day, I went to my local Target (different Target from purchase) and told them of the situation. They were kind enough to make me exchange it and thankfully they had a proper MP Magnus in stock! I felt so relieved but also a bit peed off that there wasn't a Trailer!

BTW: It cost me like $99.95

Borgeman
1st May 2008, 06:07 PM
me and my bro thought it was a special edition prime from the return of OP episode, where he coated himself with that metal, hence the white :)

George

STL
1st May 2008, 09:30 PM
me and my bro thought it was a special edition prime from the return of OP episode, where he coated himself with that metal, hence the white :)

George

+ 1

iceburn
1st May 2008, 10:53 PM
all of these sounds so interesting
no idea, no comments and don't have an MP01 at current
didn't realise there was such Masterpieces then.... :P