PDA

View Full Version : Your ideal TF Series?

SkyWarp91
22nd April 2011, 05:46 AM
Thought this would be an interesting discussion to bring up...

If you were an Hasbro Executive and were tasked to design a new TV show/Movie Franchise/Video Game Series that would keep Transformers a running brand throughout future generations, what would you do? (you could only choose to contribute one series)

The TF franchise started on TV as a cartoon (G1), then evolved into CGI cartoons (BW, UT) and now is running on a trilogy of Live Action Movies, another CGI show (PRIME) and even video-games (WFC). What would you make next?

If I could produce a TF series, I'd do a live-action TV series called Transformers: Battlefield Earth. Tv shows are very expensive now (FOX's 'House' costs $5mil an ep. :eek:), depending on the show some shows consider each episode to be a mini-film (speaking financially lol). The downside of TV series is that because you have to fill in much more run-time you're prone to having more slower moments throughout the show, but I think it's all a matter of how I would handle my budget, if I spent my money wisely, I could get explosions in every single episode ala Burn Notice's later seasons.

Content-wise my show would be focused on Autobot missions on Earth like NEST in ROTF, where the Autobots would go on missions hunting down Deceptions on Earth and throughout the show the Transformers learn more about humanity and how similar it is to themselves; they learn vital life lessons like standing up for yourself, coping with loss, vengeance and how to deal with social injustices. The Decepticons won't be getting their asses kicked every episode though, throughout the series they'll learn important things too, like the power of fear, intimidation and corruption and use those things to crush the Autobots. There wouldn't be any human-protagonists, more human side-characters.

For filming most footage would be of extras running away while props fly at them or explode lol. No need to waste money on hiring a Shia Lebouf like character when that money can be spent on GGI robots kicking the crap out of each other!

Verno
22nd April 2011, 09:15 AM
A seres of Spotlight comics about some of the BW characters, so as to fill in the backstory both of them and whats been happening on Cybertron for the past 300-400 years.

I've already written a lot of it myself over the last few years. I'd love to publish it one day.

Sky Shadow
22nd April 2011, 10:10 AM
If I could produce a TF series, I'd do a live-action TV series called Transformers: Battlefield Earth

...in which the Autobots and Decepticons discover Scientology and can't afford to battle anymore because they've given all their energon to the church.

Hursticon
22nd April 2011, 11:00 AM
A seres of Spotlight comics about some of the BW characters, so as to fill in the backstory both of them and whats been happening on Cybertron for the past 300-400 years.

I've already written a lot of it myself over the last few years. I'd love to publish it one day.

This! :D

It's the 15th Anniversary of Beast Wars and the biggest mention it has received from Hasbro is Waspinator as a HOF Nominee. :mad:

I would like to see the evolution of Autobots/Decepticons to Maximals/Predacons explored, the events that finally lead to the Pax Cybertronia, details on the introduced technologies that were employed, who and what the Maximal governing body looked like... ;)

The list goes on and on but I think for all the Geewun love we never ceasingly receive, it would be nice to see some love and respect for the series that saved the franchise. :cool:

My own show?
A CG sequel series to the original Beast Wars Cartoon that picks up immediately where the series ended and completely writes out/negates Beast Machines. :D:cool:

liegeprime
22nd April 2011, 11:13 AM
Erm my idea would be a Transformers version Big Brother/Survivor reality show:D:D... I can see the backstabbing (ehem Starscream) and Two-faced ( Tarantulas) scheming how to win the gazillion energon prize. Imagine all the wacky and outrageous competition the selected players (from all series :D:D) will undergo just to win immunity or some other lame prize:D:D.......ahhhh yessss...Vector Sigma is watching!! With the wide array of characters from across the different series, I would imagine this would be like sooooo many seasons worth of a show. Plus it's a way to keep the characters, well known and obscure.

GoktimusPrime
23rd April 2011, 01:40 AM
The TF franchise started on TV as a cartoon (G1), then evolved into CGI cartoons (BW, UT) and now is running on a trilogy of Live Action Movies, another CGI show (PRIME) and even video-games (WFC). What would you make next?
Actually, the Transformers franchise started as a series of toys which Hasbro brought over from Japan. Then came a comic series, then the TV cartoon yada yada yada.

My ideal series? A CGI animated cartoon series - with the same budget and animation quality as Clone Wars - written by Simon Furman (or someone of similar quality) and based on the Classics/Universe (2.0)/Generations/Reveal The Shield toys. A comic series would be keen too.

SkyWarp91
23rd April 2011, 03:43 AM
Actually, the Transformers franchise started as a series of toys which Hasbro brought over from Japan. Then came a comic series, then the TV cartoon yada yada yada.

My ideal series? A CGI animated cartoon series - with the same budget and animation quality as Clone Wars - written by Simon Furman (or someone of similar quality) and based on the Classics/Universe (2.0)/Generations/Reveal The Shield toys. A comic series would be keen too.

I know TFs started as toys, the whole point of the thread was to design a TV show/Movie series lol :p

Verno
23rd April 2011, 09:12 AM
My own show?
A CG sequel series to the original Beast Wars Cartoon that picks up immediately where the series ended and completely writes out/negates Beast Machines. :D:cool:

A man after my own heart!

The way I see it, the BW Maximals go back through the Transwarp wormhole back to Cybertron, just as Unicron and his new minions are attacking.

Unicron is powered up from absorbing all the debris from The Hub that exploded in Allignment, and has re-animated a lot of the Cybertronian Empire 'bots to see out his will.

Meanwhile, The Vok who traveled to the All Spark with Tarantulas when he died, meet their maker in Primus, who is currently also battling Unicron on the higher level of existance.

Primus created the Vok/Swarm thing way back as a means of replacing he and Unicron when the time came that Transformers evolved past a certain point.

Transmetal technology perfected into TransTech.

Ultimately, Unicron kills Primus and the Sparks of all Transformers momentarily stall. The Vok can either let them flicker out or take up the mantle as the new Transformers God thing.

He takes up the post, and vanquishes Unicron with his unbelievable power.

On Cybertron, Unicron has his horns dug into Cybertron, so they are joined. The power from the passing of Primus and Unicron mixed with that of the Vok reformats Cybertron and all those who live there into new TransTech bodies.

And we end up where BM should have taken us but with a more kick-ass way of getting there.

Vector Prime
23rd April 2011, 09:16 AM

+1 on Gok's idea - anything that has G1 inspired roots.

And I'm going to get flamed for this (by Verno & Hursticon) but nothing involving BW or animal-formers whatsoever. <VP ducks for cover>

Verno
23rd April 2011, 10:32 AM
And I'm going to get flamed for this (by Verno & Hursticon) but nothing involving BW or animal-formers whatsoever. <VP ducks for cover>

The idea of BM was to bring the organic back to Cybertron. Thats the stupidest fracking idea ever.

What it should have been about it the continued evolution of Transformers with new technology, ie Bringing Transmetal technologies to Cybertron, so we end up at TransTech, where we'd go back to robotic forms, the beast could be disgarded. (Although animals forms are pretty common in G1 anyway)

The TransTech designs of Cheetor and Depth Charge were vehicles, not animals.

So I have no problem with not incorporating Beasts.

Hursticon
23rd April 2011, 12:28 PM
A man after my own heart!

The way I see it, the BW Maximals go back through the Transwarp wormhole back to Cybertron, just as Unicron and his new minions are attacking.

Unicron is powered up from absorbing all the debris from The Hub that exploded in Allignment, and has re-animated a lot of the Cybertronian Empire 'bots to see out his will.

Meanwhile, The Vok who traveled to the All Spark with Tarantulas when he died, meet their maker in Primus, who is currently also battling Unicron on the higher level of existance.

Primus created the Vok/Swarm thing way back as a means of replacing he and Unicron when the time came that Transformers evolved past a certain point.

Transmetal technology perfected into TransTech.

Ultimately, Unicron kills Primus and the Sparks of all Transformers momentarily stall. The Vok can either let them flicker out or take up the mantle as the new Transformers God thing.

He takes up the post, and vanquishes Unicron with his unbelievable power.

On Cybertron, Unicron has his horns dug into Cybertron, so they are joined. The power from the passing of Primus and Unicron mixed with that of the Vok reformats Cybertron and all those who live there into new TransTech bodies.

And we end up where BM should have taken us but with a more kick-ass way of getting there.

Ooh...
Man, you really have put some thought into this huh? - I like that approach as it tells both an interesting new story whilst referencing the past and setting the story on a path that it should've taken in the first place. :eek::cool:

+1 on Gok's idea - anything that has G1 inspired roots.

Have you seen what a 115 Kilo, 6ft 2 Munky can fling? :p:D

The idea of BM was to bring the organic back to Cybertron. Thats the stupidest fracking idea ever.

What it should have been about it the continued evolution of Transformers with new technology, ie Bringing Transmetal technologies to Cybertron, so we end up at TransTech, where we'd go back to robotic forms, the beast could be disgarded. (Although animals forms are pretty common in G1 anyway)

The TransTech designs of Cheetor and Depth Charge were vehicles, not animals.

So I have no problem with not incorporating Beasts.

I agree here, because it is entirely sensible that Transformers would progressively evolve towards greater Technological Perfection and not Fleshy Meat Syndrome. :cool:

I'd like to see a degree of Animalistic approach to Design and Psychology but I also agree that a progression back towards more vehicular forms makes greater sense as I imagine on a TransTech 'New Cybertron' that there wouldn't be a great deal of Fleshy organisms around. :p

If there was to be a lower order of life on 'New Cybetron' though, I'd imagine it would be more akin to that seen by Hot Rod and Kup seen in the G1 Movie - i.e. Animals that are quite clearly Robotic or Techno-Organic but certainly not purely Organic. ;):cool:

Verno
23rd April 2011, 12:44 PM
I've written to Simon Furman to see if he'd be interested in co-writting the comic with me, but he's yet to get back to me :rolleyes:

VERT
23rd April 2011, 01:13 PM
I would like a new Classics show starting from where Season four finished when Galvatron was out of controll in space in Scorponok. :D

Golden Phoenix
23rd April 2011, 01:39 PM
More Transformers Animated.

Sky Shadow
23rd April 2011, 01:41 PM
I would like a new series set in the G1/Beast universe, but using absolutely no big-name characters. It would be the story of Botanica and her crew before she returns to Cybertron in Beast Machines. And it would be called Plant Wars.

UltraMagnus
26th April 2011, 05:31 PM
+1 Gok's idea (but I do like old school brick G1 style)

liegeprime
26th April 2011, 05:53 PM
I still like my idea ... I mean with that kind of format... ANYTHING can happen heheheh... kinda like Drawn together was only it's TF robots across all series:D:D;) But then, I guess it's gonna be rated R :o:rolleyes: and not for kiddies which kinda defeats the purpose of appealing to the younger generations for TFs line/popularity to achieve immortality.

AussieJason
6th May 2011, 12:04 AM

I like this idea. Especially if written by Furman, I loved the UK G1 Marvel comics.

Fonecrusher
6th May 2011, 03:00 PM
I would make a cartoon... But an adult orientated one, and no I don't mean lots of fan service, tentacles and gory deaths. But you know have a serious story, none of this weekly villians/cheesy plans. Instead each episode would work to further the overarching storyline. This is a war, and I would show it in all it's bleak, desperate, violent and destructive nature. Characters would die and stay dead (unless their name started with Optimus:p). Visually I would like something close to Don Figueroa's IDW stuff.

Instead of typecasting one side as good and one as bad, I would further grey the lines between the two sides by basing the factions off their respective political idealogy: the Autobots believe freedom is the right of all, while the Decepticons believe only the strong have the right to rule. Several characters from both sides would find themselves identifying with the other or questioning their alleigances.

It would also delve a lot further into Cybertronian lore with a heavy focus on stuff like Primus/Unicron, The Fallen, Vector Prime, other Cybertronian factions etc. I would even think about bringing a third force into play to upset the balance of power and provide something new, perhaps simliar to the Ancient Cybertronians faction in the G2 comics. Maybe some sort of "Communist" type Transformers faction if that makes sense, would be a nice middle point between the Bots and Cons.

I know it all sounds pretty far fetched (Hasbro give the greenlight to a show not about kids, yeah right!) but hey a fella can dream can't he?

Hereticpoo
6th May 2011, 03:08 PM

That would be awesome sauce!

GoktimusPrime
6th May 2011, 11:17 PM
I would make a cartoon... But an adult orientated one, and no I don't mean lots of fan service, tentacles and gory deaths. But you know have a serious story, none of this weekly villians/cheesy plans. Instead each episode would work to further the overarching storyline. This is a war, and I would show it in all it's bleak, desperate, violent and destructive nature. Characters would die and stay dead (unless their name started with Optimus:p).

Instead of typecasting one side as good and one as bad, I would further grey the lines between the two sides by basing the factions off their respective political idealogy: the Autobots believe freedom is the right of all, while the Decepticons believe only the strong have the right to rule. Several characters from both sides would find themselves identifying with the other or questioning their alleigances.

It would also delve a lot further into Cybertronian lore with a heavy focus on stuff like Primus/Unicron, The Fallen, Vector Prime, other Cybertronian factions etc. I would even think about bringing a third force into play to upset the balance of power and provide something new, perhaps simliar to the Ancient Cybertronians faction in the G2 comics. Maybe some sort of "Communist" type Transformers faction if that makes sense, would be a nice middle point between the Bots and Cons.

I know it all sounds pretty far fetched (Hasbro give the greenlight to a show not about kids, yeah right!) but hey a fella can dream can't he?
You know you pretty much just described Beast Wars right there. :)

Hence why I believe Beast Wars was the best written story ever written for a Transformers TV series to date. Some Transformers stayed dead, but others came back - but that was mostly at Hasbro's behest because they needed to plug new toys. But considering the constraints Hasbro placed on them, I think DiTillio and Forward did an absolutely amazing job writing Beast Wars. The only TF story better than Beast Wars would be the Marvel G1 comics (IMHO).

Having a series based on current toys can be good and bad. The good part is that you would get greater support and funding from Hasbro since they would see it as an investment in marketing their toys. Also it's just a big thrill for fans to see their toys appear in a comic book or show (or movie). But the downside is that sometimes characters need to be removed or inserted at Hasbro's behest, even if the writer(s) may not believe it's in the best interest of the story. One classic example of this was when Powermaster Optimus Prime was killed -- only 5 issues later Prime was resurrected as Action Master Optimus Prime because Hasbro said so... I think Furman's reaction was something like "But I just killed him!" :p

Imagine a Transformers Classicsverse animated series with the same story writing and animation quality as G.I. Joe Resolute.

SkyWarp91
7th May 2011, 12:28 AM
For as long as I've been here on the forums I've heard heaps of praise for BW, but while growing up in the BW era I just never got into the show because of the CGI quality. I know it's shallow, but it was either watch that or play on the PS with games like Driver lol

Maybe I should buy BW...

LordCyrusOmega
7th May 2011, 09:05 AM
More Transformers Animated.

+1

I'd like to see a continuation of Animated rather then the quick ending there was. Or picking up where it finished. I'd also like to see a prologue to the series surrounding events of the break out of the great war and how the Decepticons were dirven off Cybertron.

Megatron could be rescued from where ever he ended up and rebuilt as Galvatron, Blackarachnia and Waspinator could return or their story in the past could be told; the possibilities are endless.
And Hasbro can market it.

GoktimusPrime
7th May 2011, 10:14 AM
For as long as I've been here on the forums I've heard heaps of praise for BW, but while growing up in the BW era I just never got into the show because of the CGI quality.
You mean the Emmy Award winning CGI. ;)
it may seem dated by todays standards but at the time it was pretty good. Arguably better than the animation in TF Prime when compared to current standards.

And a good story is more important anyway. Revenge of the Fallen has awesome visual effects yet a lot of people are critical of it's story. BW may have outdated visuals but people still love it for its superior story telling :)

Maybe I should buy BW...

I highly recommend it :)
Another great thing about BW is that it enhances G1 & G2 if you're a fan of those series. But you don't have to be.

Hursticon
7th May 2011, 07:33 PM
@Skywarp91: Buy them man, see the show that saved a franchise. ;)
I can't say much else as I'd just be repeating what Goki has already said about Beast Wars. :)