PDA

View Full Version : Removing Foldmarks on Posters

liegeprime
24th April 2011, 07:00 AM
Removing folds off posters does anybody have any tips on how to do this? Ive been eye balling some TF posters (DW era) and well soem of the ones I want and only ones available I might add are folded... these have been dwindling in supplies and with the price cheap I dont wanna miss out but I know Ill have to deal with the fold marks coz they will send the item folded instead of rolled - stated in the ebay literature of the item... any help would be appreciated.

Mechbiter
25th April 2011, 10:29 AM
In my experience, if they have been folded at all there is typically permanent damage and there is little you can do about that.

However, if they have not been excessively folded, you can make them look almost new by placing them completely flat and putting weight on the folds. Even after weeks of this however they will still not hold up to close inspection. I have a Empire Strike Back poster which I have been storing flat with weight for 15 years and even though it looks good, you can still tell it was once folded.

gamblor916
25th April 2011, 10:35 AM
What about using a cool iron? Cool as in able to touch it without burning yourself.

blackie
25th April 2011, 11:04 AM
What about using a cool iron? Cool as in able to touch it without burning yourself.

I was going to say do something like this but put a sheet over it first

LordCyrusOmega
25th April 2011, 12:05 PM
Would this also work for Instructions and product catalogues? Some of mine are bent and would like to flatten them out again.

kup
25th April 2011, 12:05 PM

I suggest to try it on a pamphlet or some other paper of similar material before using it on a poster you value. You don't want to experiment with something you can't replace.

Doubledealer
25th April 2011, 01:50 PM
Warm iron + tea towel (preferably a clean one :p)

jaydisc
25th April 2011, 02:50 PM
I had such a poster and took it to a pro framer asking the same question. He said my only option was to glue it down to the mounting board behind it. Which is fine if it's permanent, not so good if it's not.

griffin
25th April 2011, 10:53 PM
Has anyone laminated something that was folded (like the old Gen1 Catalogues), with or without flattening/ironing them first? How did the thick laminate go at hiding the folds (the ones that don't show a white line from heavy/creased folding)?

5FDP
25th April 2011, 11:19 PM
I've laminated folded posters before. It does look a little better; however from certain angles the folds can still be seen. Having tried to get rid of the folds using the above mentioned techniques is not 100% successful and as Kup said, be extremely careful if you value the poster at all.

For small items such as G1 instructions I would suggest using a dry flower press. This takes some time though.

liegeprime
28th April 2011, 09:29 AM
Warm Iron and teal towel gotcha. Ive requested the seller to send it in a tube even though its already been folded so at least there's no addditional fold damage to it on transit. Hopefully relaxes some of the folds a b it as well.

Thanks heaps guys. il prolly try it on, indeed using some other poster, before I do it on my folded poster ( when it arrives). It's such a shame coz it's hard to find a non folded version of it in the net, and the ones that aren't come from Canada- (and higher priced as well - and we all know how canada post is like:rolleyes::rolleyes: so Im not about to put up with all that.

Shame if this was printed on cloth instead like those JAp block prints it would have been easier sorting out creases hehehehe