PDA

View Full Version : Overseas sightings: Japan

mknell
2nd May 2011, 04:56 PM
This thread is for posting sightings of licensed Transformers in Japan (as Gok started those for China & Taiwan on his trip I thought I'd do the same)

Currently I'm in Kyoto (Osaka tomorrow yay) the 2 main places I have picked things up have been in Bic Camera & Yodobashi Camera

Bic Camera
Sons of Cybertron Animated 2980 yen ($33.47 AUD)
Misc earlier waves of TF United for around 1680 yen ($18.87 AUD)

Yodobashi Camera
Sons of Cybertron 2980 yen ($33.47 AUD)
MP Rodimus 14200 yen ($159.48 AUD is this a good price for it?)
MP1-L Optimus final realease 8380 yen ($94.12 AUD)
Henki/Unnited Megatron 2620 yen ($29.43)
2010 Predeking 12600 yen ($141.51)
TF Animated delux (I got electrosonic Soundwave) 1930 yen ($21.68 AUD)

I also picked up a United Wheeljack at a random toy shop down towards south kyoto when visiting a Sake brewrey for 2173 yen ($24.40 AUD) they had other united there but mainly things like wreckgar jazz and tracks, and only had the 1 wheeljack

so hopefully this can be helpful to others. Also if anyone thinks theseare good value let me know esp with the MP FIGURES as Ihaven't really priced them before

Hursticon
2nd May 2011, 05:03 PM
This thread is for posting sightings of licensed Transformers in Japan (as Gok started those for China & Taiwan on his trip I thought I'd do the same)

Currently I'm in Kyoto (Osaka tomorrow yay) the 2 main places I have picked things up have been in Bic Camera & Yodobashi Camera

Bic Camera

Yodobashi Camera
MP4 Optimus final realease 8380 yen ($94.12 AUD)

I also picked up a United Wheeljack at a random toy shop down towards south kyoto when visiting a Sake brewrey for 2173 yen ($24.40 AUD) they had other united there but mainly things like wreckgar jazz and tracks, and only had the 1 wheeljack

so hopefully this can be helpful to others. Also if anyone thinks theseare good value let me know esp with the MP FIGURES as Ihaven't really priced them before

Hope you're having fun over there dude. :D

IMO:

MP-09 Rodimus Prime - Hell yeah dude, with postage this guy is close to $300 normally! :eek:
MP04 Optimus Prime - I paid $200 for mine at Target over here, so that is awesome! :cool:
2010 Predaking - Cost me just over $300 including postage from AmiAmi in Japan, so again pretty darn good. ;)

Hope that helps in some way mate. ;):)

jazzcomp
2nd May 2011, 05:24 PM
mknell, are you willing to buy a few for us as well? :)
Interested in these if you are:
Henki/Unnited Megatron 2620 yen ($29.43) (is this the nerf gun?)
Any pics?

Vector Prime
2nd May 2011, 05:41 PM
mknell, are you willing to buy a few for us as well? :)
Interested in these if you are:
Henki/Unnited Megatron 2620 yen ($29.43) (is this the nerf gun?)
Any pics?

The bloke's on holidays for Christ sake!

I know if I was on holidays, the last thing I would want to do is fart ass around and buy stuff for other people (especially if they haven't discussed it with me or given me payment prior) :rolleyes:

jazzcomp
2nd May 2011, 05:50 PM
Apologies, mknell if my post offended you. I won't post here again :)
I just thought it doesn't hurt to ask. But maybe it does.

Vector Prime
2nd May 2011, 05:58 PM
Apologies, mknell if my post offended you. I won't post here again :)
I just thought it doesn't hurt to ask. But maybe it does.

Of course it doesn't hurt to ask... if he's a friend and he knows you well enough, he may be willing to assist.

The problem is how you go about asking him... there's such a thing called Private Messaging - that way mknell can politely decline or accept if he so chooses to.

By posting publicly, it opens up a can of worms as he can either decline or accept - both of which pose issues:

1.Decline - he may be viewed as unhelpful.
2.Accept - he gets burdened with additional purchase requests.

Or maybe at the end of the day, it doesn't bother him either way... just my 0.02c

mknell
2nd May 2011, 06:58 PM
No Offence taken really, I just wanted some thoughts on some of the prices, but I was going to wait and see what I find in Osaka tomorrow (shopping day yay) but in any case this is the megatron

http://tfsource.com/public_img/reduced-image_1882_106.jpg

Mainly depends on the mrs pay going through as it was meant to last Friday, we have plenty of yen on us but don't want to fall short for food etc so unfortunately most likely nothing big, but maybe on the megatron if I find it elsewhere as it is nice and small and not in gun mode lol

gdmetro
2nd May 2011, 07:08 PM
@Mknell:
Those prices are very awesome- and they are because no postage needs to be paid. Most of those items have like 40% shaved off!!
Get what you want/strategize/prioritize what you want most. I reckon the big ticket items would be the best- save the most in shipping.

The bloke's on holidays for Christ sake!

I know if I was on holidays, the last thing I would want to do is fart ass around and buy stuff for other people (especially if they haven't discussed it with me or given me payment prior) :rolleyes:

+1

@Jazzcomp: I would only ask if he offered/suggested to purchase for people. IMO- don't ask... you come off as inconsiderate of others and only have your own interest mind. Case in point: A close friend went to HK and Japan around xmas/New Years time/Jan-I didn't even ask him to pick up toys/united stuff/targetmasters even though he offered to since he had luggage space- I didn't want to bother him since he's there for holiday/spend time with partner. Not to hunt down toys for me/lug them back.

Zippo
2nd May 2011, 07:09 PM
I believe the MP-4 is actually MP-1L - the last Convoy that was just released.

Which Son's of Cybertron and you should grab the United Jazz and Wreck Gar to scalp to Americans.. and me..

jaydisc
2nd May 2011, 08:19 PM
Great prices! And yeah, as Zippo asks, which Sons of Cybertron? Henkei or Animated?

kurdt_the_goat
2nd May 2011, 10:06 PM
Are you staying with relatives while you're over there? A lot of those items can be had for a lot cheaper on Amazon Japan provided you have a shipping address!

liegeprime
3rd May 2011, 01:13 AM
Hey mknell, post up some pics you've taken of the sights (not just toy shops okies)- mebbe on another thread or something. Enjoy!

valkyrie_76
3rd May 2011, 02:33 AM
Hey mknell, post up some pics you've taken of the sights (not just toy shops okies)- mebbe on another thread or something. Enjoy!

Yeah bugger the toys, we want the sights :D:D

I am still thinking about heading over in October and I wanted to get some ideas on where to go in Japan apart from being stuck in Tokyo. I might have to steal Tetsuwan if I go over :D:D

mknell
3rd May 2011, 09:02 AM
I believe the MP-4 is actually MP-1L - the last Convoy that was just released.

Which Son's of Cybertron and you should grab the United Jazz and Wreck Gar to scalp to Americans.. and me..

Animated Sons of CYbertron lol and yes I meant MP1 not MP4 just noticed lol

Skullcruncher
3rd May 2011, 09:45 AM

Bic Camera
Sons of Cybertron Animated 2980 yen ($33.47 AUD)

Yodobashi Camera
MP1-L Optimus final realease 8380 yen ($94.12 AUD)

This is good stuff mknell! Any good places to check out for toys or travel tips will be appreciated. I'm going over there in late june but I think im going to stuggle for much toy hunting time. :D

mknell
3rd May 2011, 09:57 AM
Well just quickly here are a few of my Photo Albums that I have posted on Facebook

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/fbx/?set=a.10150236524633939.364628.721178938
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/fbx/?set=a.10150236512463939.364624.721178938
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/fbx/?set=a.10150236512223939.364623.721178938
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/fbx/?set=a.10150232741973939.362532.721178938
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/fbx/?set=a.10150234693933939.364064.721178938

mknell
4th May 2011, 07:21 PM
Went to Universal studios today it was terrible so many people, I didn't realise today was a public holiday :(

But yesterday I got to go to Mandrake in Shinsaibashi :) OMG So awesome there here's what I grabbed

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/231166_10150240456433939_721178938_8572500_3180184 _n.jpg
WST Soundwave & WST Silverstreak
Trying to remember how much I paid think it was ¥1600 & ¥1000 (have to find my reciept)

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/231166_10150240456443939_721178938_8572502_502426_ n.jpg
Henki/Classics Grimlock (missing accessories apart from swod) & Can't remember beastwars figure names ¥420 JPY = $4.77 AUD

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/231166_10150240456438939_721178938_8572501_5987459 _n.jpg
Henki/Classics Jetfire (missing a clip) ¥630 JPY = $7.15 AUD

valkyrie_76
4th May 2011, 07:28 PM
Oh you tease :D:D

mknell
5th May 2011, 12:10 PM
Den Den town let down this morning, I keep forgetting the national holidays and most of the really awesome places are closed. I did get to go to the only open one Joshin Super Kidsland that place was awesome but quite TF bare as they are waiting for the new DSTM to come in. There was a MP Megatron for ¥8232 ($AUD $92.57) but I did not want to risk it

mknell
6th May 2011, 08:12 PM
Went to Akihabara today was lots of fun Picked up a MP Rodimus ¥14,200 & Animated deluxe Rodimus ¥1,930 at yodobashi camera, from Mandrake I got G1 hook misp ¥2625 and a choro Q Robo Rodimus ¥860 & from a lil toy shop on the main street a gold animated optimus legends figure ¥980

valkyrie_76
6th May 2011, 08:15 PM
Be needing a detailed report please :D:D

Skullcruncher
15th May 2011, 05:14 PM
Just confirming Manadrake and other shops accept visa? Or Cash only? Just making final checks - I dont want to rock up and find I have to leave something I really want! :D

uteiki
15th May 2011, 06:51 PM
yes Mandarake & most other shops accept credit card... prob visa or mastercard... amex is not too popular there...

liegeprime
15th May 2011, 10:21 PM
OH wow, WST for that much only!!!, Soundwave no less, one of my sought after WSTs!!. love those pictures you got posted at facebook, everything seems so .... quiet:D:D. Where are the photos of toy shops you raided? heheheh. Til when is the holidays? hope the shops open up soon so you can enjoy splurging on the Tfs:):)

jazzcomp
26th May 2011, 12:20 PM
For those planning to visit japan soon - cheap airfare

http://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/45585

mknell
26th May 2011, 01:29 PM
Just confirming Manadrake and other shops accept visa? Or Cash only? Just making final checks - I dont want to rock up and find I have to leave something I really want! :D

Yes indeed Visa for most shops but it's always handy to have it in cash

For those planning to visit japan soon - cheap airfare

http://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/45585

Wow at those prices you could make a weekend shopping trip lol

Skullcruncher
27th June 2011, 08:07 AM
Greetings from Japan my fellow otca members!

I was going to write this last night but had been awake for just over 38 and every time I blinked my eyelids were trying to stay closed. :D

Even thought it was hectic got to Bic Camera in Ginza.

Wow what an awesome place! First I walked around the tv areas of course doing the price conversions in my head to australia dollers. But then made my way to level B2 where the good stuff is - the transformers. Plenty of DoTM Japan excelusives here Vortex, Air Raid? and several others with the japanese exclusive sticker on them. All these were priced at 2180 yen. I got some photos and headed off. Also stumbled upon a toy place that was more expensive than bic camera but had double the selection - heaps of animated stuff I have never seen. I knew it had to have transformers because of the huge optimus prime billboard outside.:D

I was going to have a sleep at the hotel fist but may need to get to a mandarake was too much. We headed off to Nakano. Anther cool place like the bazar in chapel street but 100 times busier and 200 times larger.
Got totally lost but eventualy found the vintage areas thanks yo getting a map in english. Made 3 purchases 2 G1s but not really notable but pretty good and they were all on my wants list. There was one marquee pice that was pretty nice but I need to check what other stores first especailly as I got the goodbyes before I left australia..
Saw a Boxed Black Zarak in the window and a couple of Scorponoks with damaged boxes. My girlfriend did the price conversion on Zarak and decided we could get a small second hand car for that much. There were some other masterforce at ok prices but the autobot cars all had munted boxes and very expensive.
When I was asking to look at particular pieces the guy who was opening the cabniets wasnt taking much care, a smokescreen fell to the floor and other boxes were falling all over the place. Many boxes had there flaps bent with boxes sitting on top of them! G1 collectors would feel this pain! No specific tf shopping planned until wednesday now... a whole day to wait!

mknell
27th June 2011, 09:59 AM
Greetings from Japan my fellow otca members!

I was going to write this last night but had been awake for just over 38 and every time I blinked my eyelids were trying to stay closed. :D

Even thought it was hectic got to Bic Camera in Ginza.

Wow what an awesome place! First I walked around the tv areas of course doing the price conversions in my head to australia dollers. But then made my way to level B2 where the good stuff is - the transformers. Plenty of DoTM Japan excelusives here Vortex, Air Raid? and several others with the japanese exclusive sticker on them. All these were priced at 2180 yen. I got some photos and headed off. Also stumbled upon a toy place that was more expensive than bic camera but had double the selection - heaps of animated stuff I have never seen. I knew it had to have transformers because of the huge optimus prime billboard outside.:D

I was going to have a sleep at the hotel fist but may need to get to a mandarake was too much. We headed off to Nakano. Anther cool place like the bazar in chapel street but 100 times busier and 200 times larger.
Got totally lost but eventualy found the vintage areas thanks yo getting a map in english. Made 3 purchases 2 G1s but not really notable but pretty good and they were all on my wants list. There was one marquee pice that was pretty nice but I need to check what other stores first especailly as I got the goodbyes before I left australia..
Saw a Boxed Black Zarak in the window and a couple of Scorponoks with damaged boxes. My girlfriend did the price conversion on Zarak and decided we could get a small second hand car for that much. There were some other masterforce at ok prices but the autobot cars all had munted boxes and very expensive.
When I was asking to look at particular pieces the guy who was opening the cabniets wasnt taking much care, a smokescreen fell to the floor and other boxes were falling all over the place. Many boxes had there flaps bent with boxes sitting on top of them! G1 collectors would feel this pain! No specific tf shopping planned until wednesday now... a whole day to wait!

Bicu Bicu Bicu Bicu Camera!!!! So Love those stores! Have you headed to Akihabara yet? That place is oh so awesome. Sounds like you are having a great time, makes me want to go back!

GoktimusPrime
27th June 2011, 11:53 AM
Bicu Bicu Bicu Bicu Camera!!!!

Great, now I have that jingle in my head! :p

mknell
27th June 2011, 03:03 PM
Great, now I have that jingle in my head! :p

My Mrs hated it so much lol

Skullcruncher
29th June 2011, 07:45 AM
Bicu Bicu Bicu Bicu Camera!!!! So Love those stores! Have you headed to Akihabara yet? That place is oh so awesome. Sounds like you are having a great time, makes me want to go back!

heh yep we managed to go there on the Monday since the garderns and zoo we were to visit were closed. Transformer wise there wasnt as much as I expected but still a cool place. Of course went to mandarake went up to level six using the outside stairs then the last two in the elevator. Lots of good quality G1 but the price was insane. zero purchases.

Found a store in Ueno with the biggest selection so far - heaps of movie and rts, United? toys and many displays setup which are pretty cool!

Definitly can see myself coming back - maybe in april around the cherry blossom time!

Skullcruncher
4th July 2011, 09:45 PM
Saw a bathting ape optimus prime today in a store Kyoto he actually looks pretty cool. I asked if he was for sale but  the one they had was just a sample and not for sale until 23rd.

Ode to a Grasshopper
5th August 2011, 08:24 PM
Skip Akihabara and head to Den Den Town in Osaka, hey.;)

It's so much cooler (well, not the weather) and more fun.

Firestorm
20th August 2011, 04:50 PM
Skip Akihabara and head to Den Den Town in Osaka, hey.;)

It's so much cooler (well, not the weather) and more fun.

Here Here, couldnt agree more,

i went to Akiba twice during my 3 week trip (which i am now back from) and that was enough, it was pretty boring (no where near as good as it was last time)

made me wish i had the money to catch a shinkansen over to Osaka to go to Den Den

and yeah the weather was HOOOOOOTTTTT!!!!

saw DOTM Vortex, Skywarp, AirLaid, Arcee, Deluxe Prime with trailer, Bumblebee with mechtech holder thingy, Model kit Prime, Model kit Bumblebee, Encore Predaking at Yodobashi Yokohama

and saw a bathing ape convoy at a hobby store in Akiba

Ode to a Grasshopper
19th November 2011, 07:17 PM
TF Prime Voyagers (Prime and Bulkhead) at Hero Gangu in Den Den Town. About Y5700 so I left them alone - they'll hit standard retail eventually.

Firestorm
20th November 2011, 02:52 PM
TF Prime Voyagers (Prime and Bulkhead) at Hero Gangu in Den Den Town. About Y5700 so I left them alone - they'll hit standard retail eventually.

I miss Hero Gangu ... :(

Ode to a Grasshopper
20th November 2011, 05:15 PM
Yeah, they're pretty good on selection, but their prices are freaking horrible. Mandrake is much better value-wise, and Jungle has some good bargains sometimes.

Ode to a Grasshopper
20th November 2011, 07:05 PM
Saw a HA Soundwave for Y5070 (IIRC, about that anyway) at Joshin.
Looks pretty sweet, but the Odieverse already has a Soundwave.

Ode to a Grasshopper
3rd December 2011, 01:39 AM
Joshin Den Den Town has Encore Devastator out for Y8400. Kinda pricey.

GoktimusPrime
3rd December 2011, 09:03 AM
RRP is 10000JPY

Ode to a Grasshopper
17th December 2011, 05:34 PM
DotM Que and Deluxe Soundwave out in Toys R Us Namba.

GoktimusPrime
19th December 2011, 09:37 PM
oooh... could you grab them for me? I'll pick 'em up and pay you when we meet?

Ode to a Grasshopper
20th December 2011, 12:54 AM
I'll swing by next time I'm in Namba, should be this weekend. Human Alliance Soundwaves are out here too if you want.

Ode to a Grasshopper
26th December 2011, 02:42 PM
Prime figures out in Hero Gangu. I'm waiting for standard retail.

Also, Alternity Dai Atlas and Goldbug out in same, ~Y6000. Goldbug is metallic, and will be bought when he's not so pricey.

Ode to a Grasshopper
28th December 2011, 02:57 PM
TF Prime figures out in mainstream retail. Joshin Kids has 'em.
I'm waiting on sales.

valkyrie_76
28th December 2011, 06:46 PM
TF Prime fig:Dures out in mainstream retail. Joshin Kids has 'em.
I'm waiting on sales.

Ill have 2 Arcee's please :D

Ode to a Grasshopper
28th December 2011, 08:26 PM
Ill have 2 Arcee's please :DYou were coming here in Feb right? If you want I can pick up two Arcees for you, same as I did with the DotM deluxes for Goki.
They've also got 1st Ed Cliffjumpers (I'm gonna get one soonish), Starscream, Vehicons, Bumblebees, and the Voyager Primes and Bulkheads out. Lemme know if you want me to nab 'em.

valkyrie_76
28th December 2011, 11:17 PM
You were coming here in Feb right? If you want I can pick up two Arcees for you, same as I did with the DotM deluxes for Goki.
They've also got 1st Ed Cliffjumpers (I'm gonna get one soonish), Starscream, Vehicons, Bumblebees, and the Voyager Primes and Bulkheads out. Lemme know if you want me to nab 'em.

Bugger it.....Im greedy :D:D I take three :D:D

Yeah Ill be over in February for a week in Osaka. Ill PM you with the dates soon.

Ode to a Grasshopper
29th December 2011, 03:40 PM
Bugger it.....Im greedy :D:D I take three :D:D

Yeah Ill be over in February for a week in Osaka. Ill PM you with the dates soon.OK, so do me up a wishlist and I'll do my best.
I should be able to get you at least one Bulkhead, Prime, Megatron, Vehicon, Cliffjumper, Arcee, and Bumblebee. I'm planning on getting an Arcee, a Cliffjumper, and a Starscream myself.
I'll need what figures you want and how many of each.:)

Ode to a Grasshopper
18th February 2012, 10:06 PM
TFPRIDE Voyagers Powerisers Sorta-Big-But-Not-the-Biggest Megatron and Optimus out in Hero Gangu.

I'm waiting on Arcee, haven't decided whether to wait for the Takara version (probably have better colours, but I'm not keen on the minicon she comes with) or get the Hasbro version (want the BFG, paintjob will probably be worse).

valkyrie_76
19th February 2012, 02:21 AM
TFPRIDE Voyagers Powerisers Sorta-Big-But-Not-the-Biggest Megatron and Optimus out in Hero Gangu.

I'm waiting on Arcee, haven't decided whether to wait for the Takara version (probably have better colours, but I'm not keen on the minicon she comes with) or get the Hasbro version (want the BFG, paintjob will probably be worse).

You might find that the paint job will be the same as the previous Hasbro version. I noticed today at Toy'r'Us on Hong Kong Island, it was the same as the Takara version of the FE apart from the bloody great big hole on the roof for the gun.

Ode to a Grasshopper
20th February 2012, 08:20 PM
I'd assume that's 'cos they're Hasbro imports/stock. The ones at Hero Gangu were at any rate - English packaging all the way.

Forgot to mention, they also had the Prime Cyberverse Commander/Legion thingies. You know, Scouts and Legends, Snack-size and Tiny.

Ode to a Grasshopper
25th February 2012, 07:35 PM
Hasbro PRIDE Wheeljack, Cliffy, and Soundwave out in Hero Gangu.
Also, new United toys out, with BW Primal, Megatron, and sorta-Cybertron Unicron all at voyager price point.
I got Unicron, but stupidly forgot about the TRU bonus minicon, and so got him at Joshin. No free lurid green Nightstick for Odie!:(

Ode to a Grasshopper
1st April 2012, 06:36 PM
Mainstream release of Japanese Prime Wave 1 stuff out. Ratchet, Bumblebee, Prime, Megs (Deluxe mold), and Skywarp for the Deluxes and Voyagers, the same for the Cyberverse ones but with Screamer instead of Skywarp.
Nothing I'm after in Wave 1 so no pics. Boxes have no clear plastic apart from Voyager Optimus.

I suspect most of the Prime stuff I get will be Hasbro imports, I'm not a fan of the stickers or the extra minicon ports.

Ode to a Grasshopper
2nd April 2012, 06:53 PM
TFPRiDE Vehicon, Knock Out, Arcee and Hot Shot at Hero Gangu.
I got Vehicon and Knock Out, since I should be getting an Arcee from Valkyrie at some point.

Ode to a Grasshopper
3rd July 2012, 07:55 AM
The latest Arms Mircon toys are out - Vehicon, Voyager Breakdown, Knock Out, Voyager Starscream.

Ode to a Grasshopper
19th August 2012, 11:02 PM
Flying-car Vehicons, a few Arms Microns (bull/shuriken, chainsaw-thingy that came with Zombie Cliffjumper, three-barreled cannon/pseudo-Optimus, and the three who turn into a sword), shiny-Megatron-with-Ratbat, and Knock Out out in Joshin Osaka.

liegeprime
19th August 2012, 11:41 PM
Who wields those three that turns into a sword minicons? Autobots or Decepticons? As for that Shiny Megs - is it just paint or did they do some chrome on Megs?

Ode to a Grasshopper
19th August 2012, 11:55 PM
Who wields those three that turns into a sword minicons? Autobots or Decepticons? As for that Shiny Megs - is it just paint or did they do some chrome on Megs?It's apparently a Decepticons-only sword.
Shiny Megs has vac-metal shininess...but since it's only on the chest and shoulders it looks terrible in person.

liegeprime
20th August 2012, 01:26 AM
It's apparently a Decepticons-only sword.
Shiny Megs has vac-metal shininess...but since it's only on the chest and shoulders it looks terrible in person.

TY Odie. :)

Ode to a Grasshopper
16th September 2012, 11:28 AM
AM Swerve and Airachnid out in Joshin.
Overpriced Asia Generations deluxes in Hero Gangu, and equally overpriced import FoC Combaticons (standard Energon-esque retail colours).
Hero Gangu's loose TF section has gotten substantially smaller.:(

Ode to a Grasshopper
7th October 2012, 12:09 PM
TFPrime Unicron's out.

Ode to a Grasshopper
2nd December 2012, 12:14 PM
TFPrime Arms Micron Smokescreen, Silas Breakdown, and Dark Guard Optimus out now.
Japanese PCCs out for a few weeks now - forgot to post them earlier.
Dark Energon Deluxes out at Hero Gangu.

Ode to a Grasshopper
24th March 2013, 06:33 PM
MP Buzzsaw and Frenzy are out.

Shame the only place around that has any Soundwaves is Hero Gangu, and I'm not up for paying an extra $50-odd on top of his standard retail price.

Other than that, the new BH Voyagers are out at Hero Gangu, but again with the hefty markup. Ditto some of the new 3rd party stuff.

valkyrie_76
2nd April 2013, 07:20 PM
Spotted Prime Thundercracker for about 2200yen at Labi Hiroshima.

Bidoofdude
2nd April 2013, 07:28 PM
Ooh. Wish I was in Japan. That's pretty cheap. (coming from a TC fan, though;))

Sinnertwin
2nd April 2013, 09:34 PM
Would never have guessed, Bidoof ;)

valkyrie_76
2nd April 2013, 09:38 PM
Not much Transformer wise at the moment.

This is a picture of Yamada Labi Hiroshima:

http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i354/valkyrie1976/IMG-20130402-WA0002_zps3554d9d7.jpg

Apart from Thundercracker, the other stuff is the same. I honestly thought there was more variety in Hong Kong than certain areas of Japan. I have only been in Osaka for the past few days and now in Hiroshima. Taking the train ride to Fukuoka for a couple of Mandarake stores.

Bidoofdude
2nd April 2013, 09:56 PM
So jealous of those Thundercrackers!!!!!

(DARN ITTT!!!!!!:eek::mad::p)

valkyrie_76
7th April 2013, 10:48 AM
Some sneaky pics of Mandarake Fukuoka.

Crap quaility due to the cabinet being very close to the registers.

http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i354/valkyrie1976/IMG-20130403-WA0004_zps1715b4fc.jpg
http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i354/valkyrie1976/IMG-20130403-WA0005_zpsff65e0e2.jpg

swoop
7th April 2013, 10:51 AM
Provided that my travel agent gets her crap together and gets back to me sometime this year I should be in Japan in January next year. Have you seem any battle Gaia while you've been over there?

valkyrie_76
7th April 2013, 11:02 AM
I found Kokura a bit of a suprise packet. Instead of just finding Mandarake by itself (as most are), there are numerous anime and gaming related stores together in one multiple level building. There is Mandarake, Jungle and Robot+Robot just to name a few.

Ill post some pics with the map of the building and some pics of the cabinets in Mandarake and Jungle. To be honest, I really found this place to have more varied items compared to other stores in Osaka and Hiroshima.

Also in Nagoya at the moment and been finding this place alright too which when ready, I will give Heroic Decepticon locations and details of the shops I have found in other places than his guide shows.

valkyrie_76
7th April 2013, 11:09 AM
Provided that my travel agent gets her crap together and gets back to me sometime this year I should be in Japan in January next year. Have you seem any battle Gaia while you've been over there?

I dont use travel agents unless its a multiple city/country stopover thank goodness. And no I havent seen any Battle Gaia but if there is but you will he paying premium dollars for it. Found that most things are overpriced for the quality of items.

I did find a Dinoking giftset for around $400 and thought it was my lucky day but the guy told me that it could not combine as it had no feet, hands, waist, head or apprently weapons. Also havent hit Mandarake Nakano which is the main store for decent items. Thats where I got the bulk of TF stuff including MIB Artfire.

swoop
7th April 2013, 04:09 PM
I'm going to 5 countries over the christmas holidays so unfortunately I needed the travel agents help.

I have a list of stuff that I would like to pick up while I'm travelling and battle gaia is at the top of that list. Hopefully I'll have better luck seeing it than you have

theshape
7th April 2013, 04:26 PM
Nice pics! Any black shadows or blue Bacchus?

valkyrie_76
10th April 2013, 06:47 PM
Did a day trip to Mandarake Nakano hoping being the flagship Mandarake it would be stacked with G1 Takara goodness as it was last time I was there.

Boy was I disappointed. Dont get me wrong saying there is stuff all but the stuff there was either overpriced or the type I am looking for isnt there.

And previous questions......no Battle Gaia nor Blue Bacchus/Black Shadow (BS is one that I do want).

http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i354/valkyrie1976/IMG-20130410-WA0000_zpsacff0ff7.jpg

Bidoofdude
10th April 2013, 07:37 PM
Sorry to hear, but thanks for the good quality photo! I was looking for one!:D;)

theshape
10th April 2013, 08:10 PM
Yeah Nakano had a big selection when i was there in january, but not cheap. What are you after exactly?

Skript
10th April 2013, 09:48 PM
hate jetstar, was ready to plan a trip to finally see kansai, and the damn prices went back up when i had the money =(

Skullcruncher
10th April 2013, 09:50 PM
Thanks for the photos - im seeing many of the same G1's that nearly always populate the stores there. Was there anything unique that really popped? HK really seems to be the place for minty mint G1's.

Did you have any luck with the stores in Hiroshima? It took me three days to find the one store there that had anything interesting (Transformer wise). But it was better than Nagoya which was a barren wasteland for anything G1so I hope you had better luck than I did!

Sinnertwin
10th April 2013, 09:56 PM
Thanks for the photos - im seeing many of the same G1's that nearly always populate the stores there. Was there anything unique that really popped? HK really seems to be the place for minty mint G1's.

Did you have any luck with the stores in Hiroshima? It took me three days to find the one store there that had anything interesting (Transformer wise). But it was better than Nagoya which was a barren wasteland for anything G1so I hope you had better luck than I did!

How were the prices in HK compared to Japan? Greater ranges?

Ode to a Grasshopper
28th June 2013, 07:06 PM
BH Gaidora out in mass retail, along with two thirds of the samurai GO! combiner team. The remaining third (the jet guy) has apparently been recalled for an assembly error...though in all honesty the two that are out look like blocky pieces of crap on stilts so I'm not exactly fussed.

Hursticon
29th June 2013, 04:15 PM
BH Gaidora out in mass retail, along with two thirds of the samurai GO! combiner team. The remaining third (the jet guy) has apparently been recalled for an assembly error...though in all honesty the two that are out look like blocky pieces of crap on stilts so I'm not exactly fussed.

lol, I love that. :p

Ode to a Grasshopper
29th June 2013, 11:51 PM
Seriously, you should see them...they're like a stork had sex with an NES (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_Entertainment_System).

United Ratbat's also out btw.

spootage
14th October 2013, 01:06 AM
I've found about 4 Masterpiece Soundwaves in Akihabara for 16500 yen if anyone is around.

Bidoofdude
18th September 2015, 11:54 PM
I'll be in Akihabara sometime next week. Where are some good places for stuff like united and henkei stuff?

Firestorm
19th September 2015, 12:39 AM
I'll be in Akihabara sometime next week. Where are some good places for stuff like united and henkei stuff?

Akiba in general is great for transformers
I'm pretty sure another member on here made a fairly comprehensive map of shops to check out.
But the big ones worth checking would be Mandarake and Jungle.
But really just wandering around town (the Main road and also the back roads) you'll find all kinds of stores selling anything and everything. Have fun dude. Hope to be back there myself soon

griffin
19th September 2015, 12:41 AM
Heroic Decepticon's map & store listing here (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=11556).

My map and store listing here (http://www.toycollectors.com.au/blog/hkjp7.html).

Bidoofdude
19th September 2015, 10:25 AM
Heroic Decepticon's map & store listing here (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=11556).

My map and store listing here (http://www.toycollectors.com.au/blog/hkjp7.html).

Akiba in general is great for transformers
I'm pretty sure another member on here made a fairly comprehensive map of shops to check out.
But the big ones worth checking would be Mandarake and Jungle.
But really just wandering around town (the Main road and also the back roads) you'll find all kinds of stores selling anything and everything. Have fun dude. Hope to be back there myself soon

Thanks guys. I'll give it my best shot. I've had a great time in Toyohashi so far.

Bladestorm
11th January 2016, 09:53 PM
We'll be taking a family trip to Tokyo and Nagano (Karuizawa) in a couple of weeks.

I've looked at Griffin and Heroic Decepticon's maps and figured out the easiest place to get to from where we are staying in Shinbashi is Akihabara so I've definitely made note of the places there to go look. If anyone has recommendations closer to Shinbashi or Ginza please let me know.

If anyone knows of places in Nagano I'd love recommendations there too (although looks like the area we are staying is all boutique clothing shops - bleuch)

Questions I have are:
How do prices compare to Hong Kong?
Are there any particular Optimus Prime figures people recommend I should be keeping an eye out for in Tokyo that might be cheaper/easier to find than in Hong Kong?
Are the Mandrake stores kid friendly? My 8 year old wants to come Transformers hunting with me. :)
Will people know what I am looking for if I say Transformers? (alternatively can someone give me the phonetic way to say Transformers and Optimus Prime in Japanese?)

Does anyone know if I can order items (eg from Takara Tomy Mall) and have them delivered to my hotel with the hotel holding the package(s) for me until I arrive? (I know some places in HK allow this but not sure if the practice is common in Japan.)

GoktimusPrime
11th January 2016, 09:59 PM
Mandarake (say "Mun-dah-rah-keh") stores are child-friendly AFAIK, but then again, I only looked at Transformers. They may stock Ecchi/Hentai stuff, but I never saw it. But if you stick to the TF sections you should be right.

If you want to ask for Transformers, say "TORANSUFOOMAA" (say "tor-run-soo-for-mah"). A lot of fans/collectors abbreviate it as "Torafo" in casual conversation.

Never tried to have an item delivered to a Japanese hotel address. :o

griffin
11th January 2016, 10:29 PM
Are the Mandrake stores kid friendly? My 8 year old wants to come Transformers hunting with me. :)

At the Akihabara store the "naughty stuff" is kept to two of the floors (4 & 5 I think), so just make sure when you go up the stairs or elevator, keep an eye out for those floors, or just go straight up to the top two floors (7 & 8) for the collectable toys.

mknell
11th January 2016, 10:46 PM
At the Akihabara store the "naughty stuff" is kept to two of the floors (4 & 5 I think), so just make sure when you go up the stairs or elevator, keep an eye out for those floors, or just go straight up to the top two floors (7 & 8) for the collectable toys.

I loved that store so much

Sinnertwin
11th January 2016, 10:54 PM
You'll have 0 issues at Mandarake stores as they do have some international staff members that can speak English

If you want to pick someones brain, look for the chaps or chappettes with the blue aprons as they are considered experts/person in charge while brown is for employees and red aprons are for trainees

As Griffin also mentioned, avoid levels 4 & 5 at the Akihabara complex
Levels 1 for resale corner, 2 dolls girls toys, 3 manga, 6 blu ray/ cd, 7 vintage toys & 8 robots, transformers and other action figures respectively

Bladestorm
12th January 2016, 01:07 AM
Thanks for all the advice.
I'm only interested in Transformers (and same goes for my son) so it should all be good especially now I know to avoid the 4th and 5th floors. My time for Transformers hunting will be limited to part of one day (with at least one sprog in tow which will slow things down considerably (especially if HE finds Transformers he wants or amazing Transformers displays he can't resist ogling at - I always have to drag him out of Hobbybase here in HK he loves their display cabinets so much)) so I'd like to be as efficient and prepared as possible so we both enjoy the experience.

Also thanks for the phonetics Gok. I appreciate it. I would rather know the local words to use than assume everyone speaks English.

If anyone has any other gems of advice to share, please keep it coming.

GoktimusPrime
6th October 2016, 12:56 AM
Aeon Mall near Kyoto station
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/japan-sightingkyoto_zpswtpsji3t.jpg

GoktimusPrime
23rd April 2017, 01:40 PM
Tokyo sightings...

MP: Most G1 MPs are easy enough to find, including Ironhide, Ratchet, Inferno and Grapple. Delta Magnus and Road Rage continue to shelf warm in some stores, as is the reissue of MP10 - common as chips.

MP36 Megatron wasn't visibly common, only saw it shelved at one store in Ueno. Now I say "visibly" common because I bought mine from Yodobashi Camera where the toy wasn't displayed because it was too big but kept behind the counter. I asked the staff if they had it in stock, and sure enough there was a pile of them on a shelf behind the counter. So it's possible that MP36 may be in stock but simply not displayed.
Advice: if you are looking for MP36 ask the staff if they have it in stock - don't immediately assume that the toy isn't in stock just because you don't see it.

Here's something that'll make Verno a happy camper - BW MPs were sold out everywhere I checked. Saw Cheetor once at a Mandarake but didn't see Optimus Primal anywhere. BW MPs are selling like crazy!

TAV Warrior Class: Scorponok still appears to be a pegwarmer. Only found Ratchet and Bisk once at two different stores.

Legends: Wow! These toys must really be selling like hotcakes! I couldn't find any Deluxe Class figures. Soundwave and Ravage are shelfwarming and I found Broadcast in one or two stores. I spoke to at least one store staff member who confirmed that Legends has been a very strong seller for them.

Movie The Best: Shelfwarming everywhere.

TRU exclusive: Geoffrey Prime is one massive shelfwarmer! Overpriced too.

Zippo
17th July 2017, 07:19 PM
Is the information in this thread, generally up to date?

Its "crunch" time for me and my planning, I've left it a little bit late compared to where I should be.

While this is a TF forum, anyone happen to spot concentrations of diecast cars on their travels to the TF sightings?

valkyrie_76
30th July 2017, 09:55 PM
Is the information in this thread, generally up to date?

Its "crunch" time for me and my planning, I've left it a little bit late compared to where I should be.

While this is a TF forum, anyone happen to spot concentrations of diecast cars on their travels to the TF sightings?

Plenty of places with diecast cars and all sizes too. Nakano has various stores inside and the majority of major shops have certain brands of cars.

Dal157
27th August 2017, 07:59 PM
I've been living in Tokyo for the past year and half, so if anyone has any questions I'll try my best answer them as well

jazzcomp
26th November 2018, 02:09 PM
I've been living in Tokyo for the past year and half, so if anyone has any questions I'll try my best answer them as well
Hi! Do Japan shops accept paypass? Or do you have to sign for/or pin for credit card purchases?

Shirokaze
26th November 2018, 04:08 PM
Hi! Do Japan shops accept paypass? Or do you have to sign for/or pin for credit card purchases?

I've never seen anything but swipe+sign used for credit card transactions. :)

popculturepooka
26th November 2018, 11:17 PM

Paypass, and most forms of electronic payment, even EFTPOS, are non existent in Japan.
You pay with cash or credit card and you dang well like it.
Coming back to Australia after a few years and learning I can pay for things by swiping my phone (from Japan) was amazing.