PDA

View Full Version : Money order

Tropisetron
3rd May 2008, 12:56 AM
Hi guys

I've won something on ebay and the seller doesn't accept paypal but money order! This seller's from USA. How do i get around that by not spending too much?

Any past experience aka lessons are much appreciated. THANX heaps!

STL
3rd May 2008, 01:12 AM
Hi guys

I've won something on ebay and the seller doesn't accept paypal but money order! This seller's from USA. How do i get around that by not spending too much?

Any past experience aka lessons are much appreciated. THANX heaps!

Best way is to go to a post office and ask for a Western Union money order. They have a maximum limit of $1,000 USD. The fee is approximately $8.65 IIRC. You'll also have to send it too. Normal mail might take two weeks so you might want to take the relatively cheaper International Express option ($11) which will take approx 5 working days, maybe faster.

It's a bit risky and longer and I've done it twice myself only b/c i couldn't get the items otherwise.

Another option is a Western Union Money Transfer but its $$25 roughly to wire money. They receive it instantly when they front up to a WU office in the US and its somewhat secure b/c the receiver must provide proof of ID.

G'luck with it.

Pulse
3rd May 2008, 01:47 AM
I've got a feeling that particular seller must have been burned badly through Paypal before. Oh well...

Like STL suggested, an International Money Order could work but will it arrive ok?

When I bought my Minty Fresh G1 Shockwave, I ended up doing a behind-the-scenes deal with the seller whereby the only means of payment he wanted was Western Union (maybe his Paypal account could have been traced through his Ebay Store - I don't know). Anyway, That was the first time I sent money through Western Union & the seller received the funds without a hitch :).

If the value of your TF/s is considerable, then I'd definitely recommend using Western Union. The processing fee of $25 may seem a little steep but if you can't use Paypal or Direct Account Deposit, I'd definitely say Western Union is the way to go.

kup
3rd May 2008, 11:04 AM
Western Union wire transfers are not allowed by Ebay. If you go through one Ebay does not cover you in any way.

However Western Union money orders are allowed and are a much cheaper option but a bith lengthy as you have to send the money order by mail.

Tropisetron
3rd May 2008, 02:06 PM
Thanx guys!

Anyway, what i bought was only worth 20 dollars. Shipping was 13. And if i went ahead with it with money order it'll cost another 15-20. So the seller and i had mutually decided to close the sale without further proceedings (i was the only bidder for that seemingly un-rare item anyway)

Thanx again!