PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else have difficulty applying stickers to G1 TFs?

Adzma
3rd May 2008, 07:40 PM
Currently my track record sits at one ruined Sky Lynx, one deformed Megatron and one Starscream who's eyes won't stick. The only two that I haven't had a single issue with are Soundwave and Jazz. It's really infurating and every single time it happens I go through the same process:

"Why do I waste my money on something so pathetic?"
"Why bother getting another G1 Transformer since they only cause me grief?"
"Why don't Takara realise that applying stickers isn't fun in the first place?"
"Why does this only happen to me?"
Often with a bit of cursing thrown here and there.

So now I wonder if anyone else out there has suffered from this dilemma, or am I really the only one who has these problems. Honestly I don't know why I continue to collect G1 Transformers, I mean, I wasn't even born when the show was on. Hopefully in time for my next post I'll have cooled down; but for the time being I am not happy. :mad:

gamblor916
3rd May 2008, 08:08 PM
Yeah stickers can be a pain but this is what I do.
Use tweezers to place it and get a toothpick to stick it down.
When it's in place exactly use the side of the toothpick to rub it down.

Pulse
3rd May 2008, 08:23 PM
I just don't bother applying them at all :D

I tried applying them on my Reissue Astrotrain, the end result shall not be spoken of (he also got scratched :o) so I bought me a 2nd Reissue Astrotrain for $23 & left him stickerless :).

Therefore, all my Reissue G1s have their stickers unapplied. :D

roller
3rd May 2008, 09:41 PM
take your time or get someone with better hand eye coordination to do it for you

my Machine Wars Optimus has a few wonky stickers on the trailer

luckily my g1 jets came with eye stickers properly attached

liegeprime
3rd May 2008, 10:05 PM
as gamblor said, use tweezers, they're available cheap($1-2) at any chinese shops, get a straight and a curved one, try applying stickers one side firstthen position it slowly as you go, then when you have it mostly correctly in place, thats the time you pat it down completely. Or you could do as roller suggested. :D

Actually for old farts like me, there is a certain joy and feeling of accomplishment in applying the stickers. Not to mention nostalgia kicks in making the whole experience of sticker application on TFs an enjoyable moment. Don't get me wrong , Ive had bad moments in sticking these as well but you don't have to get new toys , just get reprolabels and correct the application.

Paulbot
3rd May 2008, 10:11 PM
I've tried tweezers but with very little success. I generally try my best but share Adzma's frustration. The joy of getting the reissue Predaking set was lessened by the 45 minutes I spent applying the stickers! :)

Adzma
4th May 2008, 08:01 AM
Well thankfully my father is very experienced when it comes to working with small parts and so he offered to help correct the problem. Now Starscream's eyes are in place and Sky Lynx is having his stickers replaced. All is well so I can continue collecting even more G1s. :)

SofaMan
4th May 2008, 10:48 AM
Actually, I always really look forward to putting the stickers on to G1 toys. Mine aren't always perfect, but are rarely appalling. It's one of the reasons I've been enjoying the reissues so much.

Putting stickers on yourself, even if done badly, makes the toy your own since you've actually invested time rather than just money, and also differentiates it since no-one else's looks quite the same. :)

Gutsman Heavy
4th May 2008, 10:53 AM
stickers=evil

my reissues are naked, plus most can avoid stickers imo (not sky lynx for example) goes Optimus really need crud on his forearms?

Kyle
4th May 2008, 11:17 AM
I also prefer my reissues naked... *giggle*

kup
4th May 2008, 11:34 AM
I never had any issues with applying stickers. I have tried it on all the figures mentioned (except Machine wars) and done it with no problem. I am also a very regular costumer of Reprolabels.

However something to keep in mind is that official Hastak stickers are of very poor quality and not forgiving to mistakes as they wrinkle and tear easy. I refuse to use them and everytime I get a new figure (Vintage or reissue) I leave the stickers in the box and order reprolabels which are of an infinite higher quality, tolerant to mistakes (you can remove them and reapply with hardly any damage as long as they are not fully set). They also look better and glossy too and have lasting logevity as they are not printed in that awful foil paper that Hastak likes to use which fades away over time.

dirge
4th May 2008, 04:08 PM
I don't mind them. I keep an artknife handy while doing it, so I can easily lift a sticker off (gently!) if it ends up being out of alignment.

I just put the stickers on my Fire Guts God Ginrai. Who much have about 40 stickers...

gamblor916
4th May 2008, 05:29 PM
My seeker have new eyes. The ones they come with are just strange.
Just cut them from gold foil stickers. Found here (http://www.mediamixhobby.com.sg/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=4941)

http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/3500/p5030207rr3.jpg

Kyle
4th May 2008, 08:04 PM
Looks neat!

Tetsuwan Convoy
4th May 2008, 08:14 PM
Currently my track record sits at one ruined Sky Lynx, one deformed Megatron and one Starscream who's eyes won't stick.
I had a close call with sky lynx too. I found the goldy stickers on the side too long and were tricky to get right, but after a bit of tolerance they came good. As for Starscream, I think his eyes are designed to be barstards!!:D

Actually for old farts like me, there is a certain joy and feeling of accomplishment in applying the stickers. Not to mention nostalgia kicks in making the whole experience of sticker application on TFs an enjoyable moment. Don't get me wrong , Ive had bad moments in sticking these as well but you don't have to get new toys , just get reprolabels and correct the application.
Ditto. I love the time spent on the frustration I always like to look at the figure after the stickers have been applied and go "Yeh!":o

STL
4th May 2008, 10:17 PM
I hate it myself. I haven;t bother opening my Encore Ironhide and Ratchet for that reason. I';m perfectly happy w/ my loose ones to save me the hassle.

STL
16th May 2008, 12:14 PM
I just placed stickers on my MP Skywarp. There weren't many but it sure was a pain. It took me about 30 minutes to get them all aligned and everything. I love the end result though I must admit I was pretty frustrated by the process. I still have to apply stickers to my TFC Ricochet/Stepper which I'm not looking forward to.

I think that's one of the things about buying G1 loose figures I like - you get the stickers as is. :)