PDA

View Full Version : Paypal Query

Skullcruncher
14th May 2011, 02:49 PM
Hi, I just bought something on ebay but the seller states they need to be paid via paypal outside ebay.

He says we both get protection as he has a premium account - Is this true? I'm pretty sure he just a scammer but want to confirm.

Thanks

blackie
14th May 2011, 02:58 PM
there should be no need to pay outside of ebay if you purchase via ebay

liegeprime
14th May 2011, 03:58 PM
That is weird, coz you can pay him thru paypal on ebay anyways, what's the big deal? if it's an ebay listing methinks he's trying to get away from some fees he has to pay but then that's not right, if you go thru with it thru ebay-paypal checkout you at least have to areas to claim there - it is an ebay official listed item and paid thru secure paypal system... if he asks you to pay outside next thing he might say is put in send money option as "gift" and I dont know if you can claim for youe item if he does a runner since it's a "gift" means there's no item involved so be wary.

Zippo
14th May 2011, 05:33 PM
I thinnk I read somewhere that ebay now calculates the final value sale fee via the Paypal payment (which includes postage). This may be the sellers way of avoiding the extra fee because of the high* cost of international postage

(Dont qoute me, I haven't looked up eBays rules for a long time)

jaydisc
14th May 2011, 07:44 PM
Nah. Final value fees are the item price not including shipping. I suspect one of two things:

1. He's tring to get out of final value fee and will likely ask you to agree to a cancelled listing.

2. He wants you to make a Paypal-feeless "Personal" payment which means you surrender purchase protection.

Either way, it sounds super-dodge.

Skullcruncher
14th May 2011, 10:17 PM
Thanks guys, yep super dodge so if he doesn't send me an invoice via paypal then no payment for him! :D