PDA

View Full Version : Meeting TF Fans you don't know

Sam
6th May 2008, 01:01 PM
I was wondering if anyone had any memorable experiences to share regarding encounters with TF fans they don't know?

Note: The experience can be good, bad, or neither - just whatever comes to mind. I clicked a radio button by accident and the thread title has a sad face icon that is misleading.

Back when Cybertron Optimus Prime had just come out, I went to a Sydney Toys 'R' Us store one day and looked through their TF stock.

I noticed another guy checking out the TFs as well. On one upper shelf, I saw that some Alternators were on sale, so I said to the guy "Hey, the prices for those alternators are not bad if you haven't got them and are interested."

He gave me one of those "You-don't-know-anything-noob" looks, and said "I only collect Binaltech."

I said "OK", but mentally I was like "Gee, no offence intended!" :0

Kyle
6th May 2008, 01:08 PM
What a rude snob... :o

Burn
6th May 2008, 01:41 PM
Last year's movie premiere in Sydney.

I still have no idea who half of those people were. :p

roller
6th May 2008, 01:47 PM
After the wharf 8 convention in 2006, i met some guy near the metro woolies, it may have been 1orion2many, anyway he had a tf shirt on, i had a tf shirt on and we said hi

whenver i see someone at uni wearing tf shirts i try and start talking tfs

While waiting in line for Nexus i spoke to another guy in tf clothing, turned out to be a huge fan, i need to ring him for some g1s he has for sale

Bartrim
6th May 2008, 01:49 PM
Last year's movie premiere in Sydney.

I still have no idea who half of those people were. :p

I remember thinking that I'll finally get to meet all you guys at the premiere. Unfortunately I didn't know what any of you looked like and I had no ones phone number so I just hung with fatbot(who was my date) and some other guy we met named Lukas who had a Decepticon tat on his left arm.

Tiby
6th May 2008, 02:36 PM
I've run into them in the shops but they tend to scurry away...

Of course, I have met a whole lot more through the Megatron Club, many of whom are not members here.

Pulse
6th May 2008, 03:17 PM
Of the ones I've met in the TF sections, They seem to have no people skills at all. :D

9 times out of 10 they act like they're deaf & the other time, they mumble something to themselves & give you a dirty look. :confused:

Paulbot
6th May 2008, 04:46 PM
I pointed out something about the Cybertron deluxe two packs to a guy looking at single deluxe at Toys R Us once.

Otherwise I don't really recall a situation where I've met someone close to my age at the TF shelves, but I'm shy and wouldn't likely start up a conversation with strangers, but if someone said hi or whatever I wouldn't be rude like Pulse describes.

STL
6th May 2008, 05:04 PM
Nah, I had this guy named Iceburn I met once at Target in the city. Bloody bugger frowned at me as if I just came outta Shrek's rear end and then nicked off w/ a Classics Skyfire I wanted. If I ever met him again, I'd give him a whack over the head. :p

Pulse
6th May 2008, 05:24 PM
I pointed out something about the Cybertron deluxe two packs to a guy looking at single deluxe at Toys R Us once.

Otherwise I don't really recall a situation where I've met someone close to my age at the TF shelves, but I'm shy and wouldn't likely start up a conversation with strangers, but if someone said hi or whatever I wouldn't be rude like Pulse describes.

But Mate, we live in totally different cities - so it would be like a "zillion to one chance" that we would ever bump into each other in the same TF aisle. :D

SofaMan
6th May 2008, 06:12 PM
I noticed another guy checking out the TFs as well. On one upper shelf, I saw that some Alternators were on sale, so I said to the guy "Hey, the prices for those alternators are not bad if you haven't got them and are interested."

He gave me one of those "You-don't-know-anything-noob" looks, and said "I only collect Binaltech."

Sounds like one of these:

http://www.lilformers.com/IMGScomic/LF0073.jpg

Soundwarp
6th May 2008, 06:43 PM
Well Griff and I are allways organising meetups in Brissie but the Queenslanders just can't be bothered!

dirge
6th May 2008, 06:48 PM
I met Maxiewolf on the train, she had a bag full of TFs...

fatbot approach me on the station, asking what was in the box I was carrying, which was marked Takara. The look on his face when I told him it contained three BT Mirages was priceless.

turtle boy
6th May 2008, 06:48 PM
only other fans that i have met are the melbourne guys, and maybe some random fans that have been fans of the newer stuff and when told about the older stuff just say thats not transformers.

autobreadticon
6th May 2008, 07:57 PM
I saw Paulbot once at Foundain Gate before the my first meblourne meet.

I saw IHEC once at Highpoint before the Melbourne meet

I was very surpirsed to learn that Jaydisc was Amercian (because of prior contact on phone) and that he lives 10 mins away from my ex-girlfriends friend's house.

MV75
6th May 2008, 09:11 PM
Well Griff and I are allways organising meetups in Brissie but the Queenslanders just can't be bothered!

Southside blows. Meet at Strathpine/northlakes/chermside and I might turn up to scare you. :D
________
Chrysler Iv-2220 History (http://www.dodge-wiki.com/wiki/Chrysler_IV-2220)

iceburn
6th May 2008, 11:22 PM
I saw Paulbot once at Foundain Gate before the my first meblourne meet.

I saw IHEC once at Highpoint before the Melbourne meet

I was very surpirsed to learn that Jaydisc was Amercian (because of prior contact on phone) and that he lives 10 mins away from my ex-girlfriends friend's house.

haha bread..u seems to be everywhere...

liegeprime
6th May 2008, 11:46 PM
MY meeting well with other TF fans is somewhat of a different twist. I know them but I didn't know they were into TFs. Well I was pleasantly surprised to find that there is another collector in my workplace, also a Filipino and a She at that. Apparently she collects only the figures she likes - Masterpiece prime, G1 Legends, TFM BB- Supreme size to name a few (she told me). It all started when I was just doodling some drawings of TFs (chibi style ) while I was bored at work and some co0 worker apparently noticed and it got passed on in the workplace that I am a TF fan, and then all these people that I just say hi , hello and that's it, everyday started approaching me and says they're fans too, or a collector once and now they just ask me trivias and anything about the vast TFs lore :D. Some of em had passed their stuff on to their nephews and kids, except for thecollector I mentioned above. BUT, ever since the movie came out a lot of em have been professing their love of TFs and always share their stories of passed years collecting before , etc. Some have been asking me as well where they can get a certain figure (usually/mostly G1s) . Ive given off info to all of em to join OTCA, but so far I don't think anyone has signed up, oh well. Oh and I work in a hospital BTW.

Tetsuwan Convoy
7th May 2008, 12:23 AM
I met an old fella (about mid 50's) in the toys shelves (the story isn't going like THAT ok so stay tuned) and we got chatting about TFs.

I mentioned that I was suprised at his age and therefore was unlikely to be into the characters and the cartoon. He said he appreciated the design aspects of them as figures and then proceeded to wow me with the most incedible collection in the world. Mainly because I was testing him with some of the rarer and not so well known in english speaking countries (Victory Saber, Star COnvoy etc etc.) TF names and he seemed to have them all apparently. Then a Japanese student showed up (he was doing a home stay with the guy), I did a brief intro and chat to him in Japanese, scaring him slightly, evidently he hadn't come across many Jap sepaking aussies. He was kind enough, but his face said that he thought the "toy" hobby was a little strange.

He then mentioned that he was going to sell them in the Sunday Times and I should keep an eye out for it.

Being the kind of no bulltwang kind of guy I am, I felt the need to mention that I thought the Sunday times (or as I call it Sunday Slimes) is a complete rag not worthy to wipe my bottom and I wouldn't waste $1.50 to buy it, so it would be better for him to list them on ebay or another paper.

Never heard anything about the sale, but I sure would have liked to have a look at his.....

collection....:p

Nice enough guy though.

Usually my experiences are helping people who don't know the child in question very well choose toys. I once helped a woman decide which Lord of the rings toys to buy a kid as there were no TFs around (which is usually my first choice );).
Often started by them asking me to get something off the top shelf.

A curse of being taller than people. Know where I am coming from ey tall-ys?

Borgeman
7th May 2008, 12:28 AM
A curse of being taller than people. Know where I am coming from ey tall-ys?

yep :) quite often in fact.....

Pulse
7th May 2008, 12:47 AM
BUT, ever since the movie came out a lot of em have been professing their love of TFs and always share their stories of passed years collecting before , etc. Some have been asking me as well where they can get a certain figure (usually/mostly G1s) . Ive given off info to all of em to join OTCA, but so far I don't think anyone has signed up, oh well. Oh and I work in a hospital BTW.

Sounds like they're all jumping on the bandwagon :D (Was there ever a TF/Gobot bandwagon in '84?)

lcz128
7th May 2008, 07:27 AM
I'd just finished a derivatives mid semester test, and I was with a bunch of people crowded around outside talking about it, when this guy asks me if I'm into TFs. That dude turned out to be STL, and it was after that when I started frequenting this board again :D (I originally joined in 05/06-ish)

Fungal Infection
7th May 2008, 08:51 AM
I was wondering if anyone had any memorable experiences to share regarding encounters with TF fans they don't know?

Note: The experience can be good, bad, or neither - just whatever comes to mind. I clicked a radio button by accident and the thread title has a sad face icon that is misleading.

Back when Cybertron Optimus Prime had just come out, I went to a Sydney Toys 'R' Us store one day and looked through their TF stock.

For some reason that story gives me deja vu.......

autobreadticon
7th May 2008, 10:51 PM
i always wondered if toy collectors are more friendly than comic collectors...

Geminii
10th May 2008, 03:40 AM
He then mentioned that he was going to sell them in the Sunday Times and I should keep an eye out for it.

"What? No, wait! Dude! - let me make a phone call to a couple of people I know...!"

We could have had our own little bidding war. :)

STL
16th May 2008, 11:51 PM
I met one a few days back at TRU Northland. He wasn't too communicative. I could tell he wasn't entirely comfortable with talking about his collecting. He kind of uhm and ahhed about referring to collection except for one part where he actualy was quite assertive in saying he had a sizeable collection (ie. he's proud of what he has). I didn't want to press him so we went our separate ways though I did signpost i was heading over to K-Mart and Myer.

Guess, some fans just aren't comfortable and I can perfectly respect that.

roller
17th May 2008, 12:12 AM
Guess, some fans just aren't comfortable t.

the weak must be purged

Borgeman
17th May 2008, 12:14 AM
I met one a few days back at TRU Northland. He wasn't too communicative. I could tell he wasn't entirely comfortable with talking about his collecting. He kind of uhm and ahhed about referring to collection except for one part where he actualy was quite assertive in saying he had a sizeable collection (ie. he's proud of what he has). I didn't want to press him so we went our separate ways though I did signpost i was heading over to K-Mart and Myer.

Guess, some fans just aren't comfortable and I can perfectly respect that.

you probably smelled funny :D that or he thought youd stalk and rob him

George

STL
17th May 2008, 12:22 AM
you probably smelled funny :D that or he thought youd stalk and rob him

The former I categorically reject. The latter I think could have been a distinct possibility. :p

k.wong23
17th May 2008, 10:43 PM
Some guy at TRU at Chadstone was looking at the tube deluxes of barricade $25. I kindly told him Target was selling for $19.95 on sale with lots left and he seemed frightened and slowly edged away...

oh well that's what I get for trying to help out fellow Transfans...

NEMESIS PRIME
22nd May 2008, 04:57 PM
I think i saw griffin once in springwood target ages ago i posted it in the old cybertron sightings thread... i was just walking past the Toy section and i saw a guy there with a tf hat or something looking at the TF's im pretty sure griffin confirmed it i dont remember was ages ago.....

roller
22nd May 2008, 06:39 PM
there was a guy at uni the other day, he fell up the stairs, i was about to ask him where he got the Soundwave shirt, but he was with a group of girls and lets just say he had an Sydney Oxford street type voice and look to him, yeah you know what i mean;)

Tetsuwan Convoy
23rd May 2008, 01:27 PM
there was a guy at uni the other day, he fell up the stairs, i was about to ask him where he got the Soundwave shirt, but he was with a group of girls and lets just say he had an Sydney Oxford street type voice and look to him, yeah you know what i mean;)

He fel UP stairs?:D

I would be jumping in there and asking the ladies to dump the unbalanced loser! SAAAAWISH!:p

And I don't know what you mean....

roller
23rd May 2008, 01:29 PM
yep he fell UP the stairs

it was very comical

tets Oxford street is...type into a search engine for full inuendo details

Paulbot
23rd May 2008, 03:48 PM
With all the girls around it would be hard to tell if he was single I suppose.

Away from the Parra Fair, I saw two guys walking around Sydney with TF t-shirts, one with his girlfriend, the other with his boyfriend.

Fungal Infection
23rd May 2008, 04:36 PM
With all the girls around it would be hard to tell if he was single I suppose.

Outside of the Parra Fair, I saw two guys walking around Sydney with TF t-shirts, one with his girlfriend, the other with his boyfriend.

Roller was in Sydney??!!! :p

roller
23rd May 2008, 07:46 PM
say whatttttttttttt?!!!!

STL
27th June 2008, 12:15 AM
I met two fans today en route to Jaydisc's abode at K-Mart Northcote. One was a seasoned fan who hangs around on They Are Among Us. His name was Michael. The guy has officially the biggest TF collection in Melbourne w/ all 3 Maximuses! :eek:

The other guy, Bobby, was new/returned courtesy of TFM. I invited him to join up here at this madhouse. Hopefully he'll find the boards and be joining in the next couple of days. He might even join us for next week's meet. I'm a bit annoyed b/c my primary purpose for stopping at K-Mart was to quickly buy Gobstoppers (have a really, really unhealthy obsession w/ them atm) so I left my phone in the car thinking I'd be out asap. Which meant i couldn't grab his number tho I did give him mine!

I ended up in there for about 30 mins w/ Bobby and then Michael rocked up and we chatted for another 30 mins. Both great blokes. Michael even let us use his discount card while Bobby helped me score some flybuy points w/ his hefty purchases. Nice chaps indeed. I was originally thinking the guy's just buying for his kid. Nah, not a colllector so I didn't even bother. (I'm normally a conversation starter otherwise). But then he actually approached me. A really lovely bloke.

GoktimusPrime
27th June 2008, 09:19 AM
Ever since the movie came out Transformers has kinda become "trendy" and I see lots of people walking around with TF clothing... but I dunno if they're actually Transfans - or I suppose what I would consider to be a fan (it's all highly subjective).

I was accosted at SupaNova by some freakdude called kuzzy (:D). And as I mentioned in my convention report also a young girl wearing a Decepticon jacket who said that she'd registered an account here.

A couple of weeks ago I met a guy browsing for Transformers at TRU and he asked about G1 reissues. I told him about OzFormers, not sure if he's joined up since. :p

Paulbot
27th June 2008, 09:34 AM
w/ all 3 Maximuses!

Maximi?

Hopefully he'll find the boards...

I had a thought about that after last week after I spoke very briefly to a guy in a comic store who was also buying TF comics -- but I haven't got around to pursuing the thought fully yet. In another comic shop the guys behind the counter were talking about TFTM and one was asking the other if he remembered what Unicron said before attacking Cybertron. That they couldn't remember made me think "hmm, not quite TF Fan" enough.

But then he actually approached me. A really lovely bloke.

Wish a really lovely bloke would approach me :)

Pulse
27th June 2008, 11:00 AM
The sense of humour on this board is down right disturbing at times... :confused::)

dirge
27th June 2008, 07:33 PM
Wish a really lovely bloke would approach me :)

I gave roller your number... :D

liegeprime
27th June 2008, 08:22 PM
I gave roller your number... :D

uh oh, time to buy a new sim card....

one was asking the other if he remembered what Unicron said before attacking Cybertron. That they couldn't remember made me think "hmm, not quite TF Fan" enough.

"For a time I considered sparing you wretched little planet now you shall witness it's dismemberment" :D:D hmmm not fanboy enough indeed Paulbot...whehehehe

Krayt
28th June 2008, 09:57 PM
One was a seasoned fan who hangs around on They Are Among Us. His name was Michael. The guy has officially the biggest TF collection in Melbourne w/ all 3 Maximuses! :eek:

I hang around here also.... and have had "the talk" from Mr Griffin about being absent sfor too long :p

But at least I scored myself A:BA the next day after Bobby stole mine

griffin
28th June 2008, 10:28 PM
I had a thought about that after last week after I spoke very briefly to a guy in a comic store who was also buying TF comics -- but I haven't got around to pursuing the thought fully yet. In another comic shop the guys behind the counter were talking about TFTM and one was asking the other if he remembered what Unicron said before attacking Cybertron. That they couldn't remember made me think "hmm, not quite TF Fan" enough.

This makes you the Ozformers bouncer then? Screening out anyone who aint fan enough... :)

dirge
28th June 2008, 10:52 PM
Welcome back, Krayt (:

Krayt
28th June 2008, 11:43 PM
Thanks....

Hmm... i seem to think i haven't been here since i met yourself and Gok at Sydney....

Pulse
28th June 2008, 11:53 PM

This makes you the Ozformers bouncer then? Screening out anyone who aint fan enough... :)

Don't cha know we only allow the truly "sick" TF fandom here? :D

TransFans like us who have no chance of ever going back to civilisation... :p

STL
29th June 2008, 12:40 AM
I hang around here also.... and have had "the talk" from Mr Griffin about being absent sfor too long :p

But at least I scored myself A:BA the next day after Bobby stole mine

HEY! :)

Told u so.

GoktimusPrime
29th June 2008, 11:53 AM
Kraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyytt!! *bounces around and waves frantically*

roller
29th June 2008, 08:40 PM
some people with tf shirts at Supanova Perth

didnt have time to interrogate them like i usually do