PDA

View Full Version : What is your favourite episode/s of the G1 cartoon

Bartrim
24th May 2011, 11:48 AM
I know alot of us laugh at the animation errors and some of the terrible scripts/storylines in the G1 cartoon. We often laugh at episodes like "Carnage in C-Minor". But then I got to thinking the G1 cartoon is what got alot of us initially interested in Transformers so there must be some good episodes right? I have my own preferences. My question to all you G1 fans out there is what is your favourite G1 episode/s? and why?

1orion2many
24th May 2011, 12:08 PM
:)Call of the primatives because Grimlocks genius shows through:D

LordCyrusOmega
24th May 2011, 12:14 PM
:)Call of the primatives because Grimlocks genius shows through:D

+1

Also The Secret of Omega Supreme, Triple Takeover and Starscreams Brigade.

I like Omega Supreme so it was an interesting episode about his origins. I like the Triple Changers and I think the Episode about the Combaticons emergence (reemergence??) was the most interesting about combiner origins

GoktimusPrime
24th May 2011, 12:22 PM
As a kid I really liked The Ultimate Doom. And to me, the funniest moments were:

Grimlock: "Me Grimlock not care. Whole planet fall apart... make no difference to me, Grimlock."
Wheeljack: "With you on it?!"
Grimlock: <pause> "Hadn't thought of that..."

And this...
Shockwave: "You cannot escape!" <blasts hole in a wall>
Skyfire: "I can now!"

Now watching it I lawl at the Transformer's use of laser discs. ;) (which at the time was pretty damn funky) -- still no where near as funny as how Optimus Prime's entire core consciousness can fit onto a single floppy disk. :D

As an adult looking back, my favourite episode would have to be The God Gambit (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/The_God_Gambit) because of the awesome social commentary it makes about religion -- which we won't discuss on the forum, but you get the idea. :)

1AZRAEL1
24th May 2011, 12:43 PM

I like Omega Supreme so it was an interesting episode about his origins. I like the Triple Changers and I think the Episode about the Combaticons emergence (reemergence??) was the most interesting about combiner origins

I'll have to agree on taht one, one of my more fav episodes. I have to rewatch the whole series to actually pick my fav episode, it has been a long time since I have watched any episodes :o

Hursticon
24th May 2011, 02:43 PM
I'll have to agree on taht one, one of my more fav episodes. I have to rewatch the whole series to actually pick my fav episode, it has been a long time since I have watched any episodes :o

I know what you mean dude, I can remember certain scenes but not any one particular episode in it's entirety, and I've watched the entire US run in it's entirety 3 times since my Brother bought me the Collector Tin set. :p

optimus1
24th May 2011, 03:05 PM
My favourite episodes are:

Pre-Movie
Starscream's Brigade - Decepticon focused episode with Starscream's power struggle + Combiner fight :)
Key to Vector Sigma 1 and 2 - a trip to Cybertron, Alpha Trion, Vector Sigma, Stunticons and Aerialbots!

Post-Movie
Ghost in the Machine :D - Starscream as a Ghost and back again!

AussieJason
24th May 2011, 03:49 PM
Another vote for Starscream's Brigade - it was good to see Starscream finally make a push for the leadership

Make Tracks - Tracks was such a cool 80's character

More than Meets the Eye Pt 1 - the first episode will always be one of my faves.

Prime Target - Lord Chumley. Need I say more ?

Prowl
24th May 2011, 08:37 PM
I am rewatching it on DVD & I have not seen these episodes since the mid 80's but I love A Prime problem.

Megatron is so evil in it & since I have always cheered for the bad guys it sucked knowing he would not triumph in this episode.

GoktimusPrime
24th May 2011, 11:01 PM

I like Omega Supreme so it was an interesting episode about his origins.
Oh Primus... don't even get me started on the continuity nightmare that is The Secret of Omega Supreme... <shudder>

I found Starscream's Brigade to be a rather forgettable... but Triple Takeover was a fun episode. :)
Megatron: "You're either lying, or you're stupid!"
Starscream: "I'm stupid! I'm stupid!"

Megatron is so evil in it & since I have always cheered for the bad guys it sucked knowing he would not triumph in this episode.
If you like cheering for the bad guys, I recommend watching The Probe (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/The_Probe). :)
I remember the first time I saw that episode, by the end of it as the credits started rolling, my jaw had just dropped to the floor -- I was just sitting there stunned, reeling from the shock of seeing the bad guys win a decisive victory in a Transformers cartoon episode!! :eek:

----------------------------------------------------
Other mentionable G1 eps...

A Strange Friendship: Cancer and Minerva (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/A_Strange_Friendship:_Cancer_and_Minerva) - explores moral ambiguity in a Decepticon, and arguably better done than with Sixshot and his friendship with Daniel at the end of The Headmasters.

Autobots! Desperate Attack! (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Autobots%21_Desperate_Attack%21%21) & Malevolent and Inhuman! The True Form of Devil Z (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Malevolent_and_Inhuman%21_The_True_Form_of_Devil_Z ) - showcases Overlord's quality as a noble warrior (reminiscent of Scorponok, Bludgeon (sometimes), Carnivac and Dinobot).

Showdown! The Fortress Vs The Victory Unification (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Showdown%21_The_Fortress_vs_the_Victory_Unificatio n) - as Chris McFeeley put it, this is one of the most epic fight scenes in the G1 animation, arguably second only to Optimus Prime vs Megatron in Transformers The Movie.

liegeprime
24th May 2011, 11:18 PM
a) Heavy Metal War - battle royale of my fave subgroups - Constructicons and Dinobots :D:D
b) Starscream's Brigade
c) The Key to Vector Sigma

Bartrim
25th May 2011, 07:56 AM
I watched "The Ultimate Doom" last night and really enjoyed it. Megatron acts like a semi decent villian in it. His distraction at the start, allowing Sparkplug to be rescues so he can sabotage the autobots base and making Prime operate the 3rd spacebridge tower by telling him Cybertron will perish. All of it very well done. Of course my favourite quote from that set of episodes comes from Prowl...

"I've got the plan if you've got the cast iron manifolds for it":D Guess thats the autobot way of saying balls:p

My favourites are basically the same as everyone else.
Starscreams Brigade
Key to Vector Sigma
Ghost in the Machine
Triple Takeover

Others that I like that haven't been mentioned are
Revenge of Bruticus
City of Steel and
Trans Europe Express

LordCyrusOmega
25th May 2011, 10:10 AM
I can't think of the name of it but the one where the Decepticons win.
They do that massive set up of the Autobots and have them driven off Earth only to be found out in the end.
That was pretty ingenious

GoktimusPrime
25th May 2011, 01:19 PM
I can't think of the name of it but the one where the Decepticons win.
They do that massive set up of the Autobots and have them driven off Earth only to be found out in the end.
That was pretty ingenious

It was called Megatron's Master Plan. But in Part 2 the Autobots come back to Earth and win, so it was never a conclusively decisive victory for the Decepticons.

Better episodes for that would include "Terror! The Decepticons' Manhunt" (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Terror%21_The_Decepticons%27_Manhunt) where the Decepticons attack the Autobots' base, killing their human ally (and Shuta's father) Professor Go, and "Disaster! The Autobot Base Explodes (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Disaster%21_The_Autobot_Base_Explodes), which as the spoiler-loaded title says, the Autobots' base is destroyed. :p ;)

LordCyrusOmega
25th May 2011, 01:57 PM
True though I went to the western series. The Decepticons won a lot in the Japanese series. Blowing up Cybertron sure seems like a win

SkyWarp91
25th May 2011, 06:27 PM
'The Girl who loved Powerglide'

Because it's a story of forbidden love, LOL
This is my favourite because the plot is so out-there that makes you react with WTF!!? with nnnawwww.... ...just like how I view life!

Demonac
25th May 2011, 06:53 PM
I'm waiting for someone to nominate 'B.O.T.'.
Then we'll know who has substance abuse problems.

Prowl
25th May 2011, 08:00 PM
If you like cheering for the bad guys, I recommend watching The Probe (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/The_Probe). :)
I remember the first time I saw that episode, by the end of it as the credits started rolling, my jaw had just dropped to the floor -- I was just sitting there stunned, reeling from the shock of seeing the bad guys win a decisive victory in a Transformers cartoon episode!! :eek:

Sounds good. My type of happy ending :)

Magnus
25th May 2011, 08:09 PM
My favourite would have to be The Ultimate Weapon. Good animation and intriguing plot.

I also liked the Starscream's Brigade/The Revenge of Bruticus two-parter, and Call of the Primitives.

GoktimusPrime
25th May 2011, 10:45 PM
As a kid I quite liked "A Raider In King's Arthur's Court" -- the whole time-travel and medieval thing was cool. :) Plus I used to re-enact it using my Transformer toys and Lego Castle sets... heh. ;)

'The Girl who loved Powerglide'

Because it's a story of forbidden love, LOL
How about Tigatron and Airazar in the Japanese dub of Beast Wars (where Airazar, JP version of Airazor, is male). Flying Brokeback Mountain'd! :p ;)

This is my favourite because the plot is so out-there that makes you react with WTF!!? with nnnawwww.... ...just like how I view life!
Well, I like the romance between Astoria and Powerglide -- reminds me of the romance between Han Solo and Leia Organa... two beings constantly bickering and arguing at each other's throats like they hate each other, when deep down they love each other. :) There's also that message to kids that love can be something that runs deeper than physical appearance, and that it's possible for two sentient beings of different species to love each other. It's not that much different from say Andrew the robot and "Little Miss" in Isaac Asimov's 'The Bicentennial Man'.

Astoria's bad luck with machines was pretty hilarious too... especially when the Decepticons' torture device backfired and ended up frying Soundwave and Rumble. :D Oh, and Astoria's kinda hot... ;)

True though I went to the western series. The Decepticons won a lot in the Japanese series. Blowing up Cybertron sure seems like a win
A win for who? Cybertron was the Decepticons' homeworld too!! :eek:

...another reason why I don't like G1 cartoon Bat-Guano-Crazy Galvatron!
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/avatars/th_jaam_shoulders.gif

SkyWarp91
25th May 2011, 11:18 PM
Oh, and Astoria's kinda hot... ;)

:O LOLOLOLOLOLOL

I just thought it was funny.heartwarming at the end when Powerglide revealed the heart made of circuits, nawwww

GoktimusPrime
26th May 2011, 08:44 AM
Yeah, you know she's all that. ;)

I really hated seeing Powerglide's "heart" at the end when I was a kid -- probably because at that age I wasn't interested in girls yet and thought anything romantic was "ewww." I remember when I taped that ep, when I hit record to tape the next episode a week later, my VCR rewinded back a few seconds before recording (as they do) and it conveniently cut off "The Girl Who Loved Powerglide" just as Powerglide opened his chest -- so rewatching that episode over and over again, I never saw his heart until I got the ep on DVD as an adult. Heh. :)

Vector Prime
26th May 2011, 04:34 PM
Key To Vector Sigma

Seeing Cybertron's Golden Age was just.... golden. :p

5FDP
27th May 2011, 11:35 PM
My favourite episode by far would have to be Atlantis, Arise! (http://transformers.wikia.com/wiki/Atlantis,_Arise!) It has some of the best animation and action scenes :cool:

Oldschool78
28th May 2011, 07:47 AM
I always liked 'The Golden Lagoon'

Great to learn a bit more about Beachcomber.
Also when Omega comes out of the Lagoon is a good scene. :)

GoktimusPrime
12th June 2011, 11:55 AM
My favourite episode by far would have to be Atlantis, Arise! (http://transformers.wikia.com/wiki/Atlantis,_Arise!) It has some of the best animation and action scenes :cool:

It was also Buzzsaw's cartoon debut! :D About bloody time too! As a kid - prior to watching the G1 cartoon - Buzzsaw seemed cooler than Laserbeak cos he came with Soundwave whereas Laserbeak came with Frenzy.

Prowl
12th June 2011, 12:01 PM
Megatrons master plan (part I & II) is classic.

I loved how Prime, Ironhide & all the boys "turn" on the flesh creatures & Megatron saves the day.

Even though I knew they would save themselves from Megatrons plan I still laughed at the Autobots being sent to the sun.

rampagesss
12th June 2011, 09:52 PM
I always liked 'The Golden Lagoon'

Great to learn a bit more about Beachcomber.
Also when Omega comes out of the Lagoon is a good scene. :)

Im with you, The Golden Lagoon has always been my favorite :D
And Beachcomber one of my favorite characters just that he cared for the animals near the lagoon. And then rescued Perceptor and Seaspray. But always remember the end "we won" as he looks over all the destruction

http://tfwiki.net/w2/images2/8/8f/Laserrave.gif

Jay-Tron
15th June 2011, 02:19 PM
I see great minds think alike as Atlantis, Arise! would have to be my all time favourite pre-movie episode. It has mostly great animation (that bit where there's two primes at the Washington Monument always confused me when I was 4 or 5 years old, I'd think what the hell's going on?) and a cool plot. Along with Attack of the Autobots this was one of the only episodes I had taped of TV. Probably why I remember it so fondly.

From the pre-movie episodes I also really liked The Golden Lagoon and Desertion of the Dinobots part 1 and 2. Because it features the Dinobots and we get to see a bit more Cybertron and Shockwave. I seem to like any episode athat has Shockwave in it. I could never decide if I thought he was scary or cool.

I'll add favourite post-movie episode later...

GoktimusPrime
15th June 2011, 06:28 PM
IIRC Desertion of the Dinobots was the first time that the Witwicky's name was mentioned in the cartoon (when Carly calls Sparkplug "Mr. Witwicky")

Of course many G1 fans already knew that their surname was Witwicky because it's long been used in the comics, but it was the first time I'd ever heard it. And being a little kid, I had various attempts at pronouncing that name too - the first time I saw it I was saying "Wik-wik-kee" - but then when I later checked more carefully I noticed it was "Wit-wik-kee", but of course, the English language doesn't use accent markers that denote where intonation falls (even though English is a stress timed language). So I was intially placing the stress on the second syllable (/wit'wìki;/) - and it wasn't until I heard Carly pronounce the name in Desertion of the Dinobots where she places the stress on the first syllable (/wìt'wiki;/) that I started pronouncing it 'correctly'. :)

Lord_Zed
15th June 2011, 08:57 PM
I don't really dig the cartoon much anymore, so I don't have a favourite anymore. Trying to recall what I used to like.

The Golden lagoon was kinda cool, but everyone being gold just seemed like a cheap copout to save the cell painters painting all the TF's details, that bugged me even when I was a kid. The same with that damned Hate Plague when everyone turns red.

I think my favourite TF episode was the Ultimate Doom part one, if only because it had a really cool cliffhanger where Prime seemingly doomed earth (the best cliffhangers are those where it seems like the good guys are totally screwed like TNG's Best of Both Worlds part 1 and BSG's Pegasus) I hated waiting for the next ep back then, but a good edge of your seat cliffhanger is always memorable (even when they do a cheap fix next episode). Heavy Metal War also seems to resonate in my memory, however last time I watched it, it wasn't so special.

5FDP
16th June 2011, 10:42 AM
I don't really dig the cartoon much anymore, so I don't have a favourite anymore.

:eek:

Jay-Tron
16th June 2011, 11:04 AM
"don't really dig the cartoon much anymore" ZOMG Lord Zed what a thing to say lol, only joking. Make a list of peoples favourites on here and check those episodes out, should be a couple that bring that feeling back :).

As for my favourite post-movie episodes I'd have to say I really like Fight or flee (Cyclonus is cool in this one), Starscream's ghost, Call of the primitives was interesting and I liked the animation, the way the transformers are make to look shiny and metallic similar to in the movie. I always found The face of Nijika interesting as a kid as well. Last but not least The return of Optimus Prime part 1 and 2.

Skullcruncher
16th June 2011, 09:30 PM
As for my favourite post-movie episodes I'd have to say I really like Fight or flee (Cyclonus is cool in this one), Starscream's ghost, Call of the primitives was interesting and I liked the animation, the way the transformers are make to look shiny and metallic similar to in the movie. I always found The face of Nijika interesting as a kid as well. Last but not least The return of Optimus Prime part 1 and 2.

Yeah I like fight or flee as well - just re watched it, Cyclonus and Scourge have some funny dialouge, also sandstorm always liked him. Plus soundwave was there too talking like an insecticon! Even bonecrusher made an appearance :) well I think it was bonecrusher :D

GoktimusPrime
16th June 2011, 10:14 PM
Fight or Flee also gave us what is widely regarded by fans as the single funniest line in the entire cartoon:

"I've never seen anything this beautiful in the entire galaxy.... All right, give me the bomb." - Ultra Magnus

:D

Fonecrusher
17th June 2011, 08:13 PM
Megatron's Master Plan- The closest the Decepticons ever came to winning and nearly conquering the Earth... Until Thrust goes and blasts Telatraan-1 inadvertedly saving the Autobots and mankind! :D

City of Steel- This episode is hilarious it had it all: The Constructicons converting a bunch of taxis into defense drones, Devastator with the King Kong reference swatting Wheeljack's remote controlled helicopters, Soundwave and Megatron sitting at a console using Optimus Prime's severed arm as a defense weapon like they were playing Nintendo. Sideswipe making Starscream say "uncle" and Starscream actually complimenting Megatron for once: "It sickens me to say it, Reflector, but this one time I have to hand it to Megatron. The place is finally starting to feel like home."

A Prime problem- Lazerbeak pwning Prime! Need I say more? Also I think we got to see what Prime might of looked like had he ever actually gotten drunk... Megatron's Prime clone, calls Ironhide "Bumblebee", starts presing random buttons on Telatraan-1 and tells the Autobots Spike doesn't matter.

Prowl
17th June 2011, 09:42 PM
Megatron's Master Plan- The closest the Decepticons ever came to winning and nearly conquering the Earth... Until Thrust goes and blasts Telatraan-1 inadvertedly saving the Autobots and mankind! :D

City of Steel- This episode is hilarious it had it all: The Constructicons converting a bunch of taxis into defense drones, Devastator with the King Kong reference swatting Wheeljack's remote controlled helicopters, Soundwave and Megatron sitting at a console using Optimus Prime's severed arm as a defense weapon like they were playing Nintendo. Sideswipe making Starscream say "uncle" and Starscream actually complimenting Megatron for once: "It sickens me to say it, Reflector, but this one time I have to hand it to Megatron. The place is finally starting to feel like home."

A Prime problem- Lazerbeak pwning Prime! Need I say more? Also I think we got to see what Prime might of looked like had he ever actually gotten drunk... Megatron's Prime clone, calls Ironhide "Bumblebee", starts presing random buttons on Telatraan-1 and tells the Autobots Spike doesn't matter.

Those are my 2 of my favourite episodes so far as mentioned earlier. When clone OP is urging the Autobots into the chasm is hilarious.

I am rewatching it on DVD & I have not seen these episodes since the mid 80's but I love A Prime problem.

Megatrons master plan (part I & II) is classic.

I loved how Prime, Ironhide & all the boys "turn" on the flesh creatures & Megatron saves the day.

Even though I knew they would save themselves from Megatrons plan I still laughed at the Autobots being sent to the sun.

RageOnTheRoads
19th June 2011, 12:07 PM
And Beachcomber one of my favorite characters just that he cared for the animals near the lagoon. And then rescued Perceptor and Seaspray. But always remember the end "we won" as he looks over all the destruction

I still maintain that captain planet and Beachcomber were the reasons I became a hippie. :D

"I've never seen anything this beautiful in the entire galaxy.... All right, give me the bomb." - Ultra Magnus LOL

as for my favourite episodes...

key to vector sigma
masquerade
Starscream's brigade

for obvious reasons. :p

Sam
19th June 2011, 08:58 PM
My favourite episodes are:

War Dawn
The Dweller in the Depths
Dark Awakening
The Key to Vector Sigma