View Full Version : 360 Vs PS3 Vs Wii

Autocon
7th May 2008, 04:07 PM
which one is better???

xbox 360, PS3 or Wii

cant find poll button....

1orion2many
7th May 2008, 04:34 PM
:(I prefer the games on 360 but unfortunately I can't recommend it as my power brick went cactus 2 months out of warranty, it will cost $150.00 for a new one so my 360 sits in the corner gathering dust. The older 360's suffer RROD(red ring of death) once this happens it's only good for a boat anchor. I'm not a big fan of PS3 but unless Microsoft can prove they have got rid of all the problems with the 360 I'd go with PS3. Search around on the net and see what problems all 3 suffer, I like the Wii but I'm not to sure where it sits with a comparison on hardware, i believe it targets a younger audience as well. I added the poll for you;).

sifun
7th May 2008, 04:39 PM
Too many problems with Xbox 360... Luck of the draw seriously. I swear 1/3 of all xboxs sold are defective. HIGH failure rate because of poor hardware design.
Just google RROD and you'll see some of the nightmares people have had.

Leading the race in my opinion is Wii at the moment.. alot of great games, lots of fun games... Thats what is making the console, rather than next generation graphics.

Ps3 is however not doing so well.. It is however still early in its lifetime, and there are a few exclusives that I really want to play, rather metal gear solid 4.
will buy a ps3 when the price drops or comes standard with a dual shock 3. :)
Though if you are into home cinema, a PS3 is a worthy buy because of its very good Blue Ray capabilities.. It is also cheaper than most blue ray players on their own!

Hereticpoo
7th May 2008, 05:00 PM
Today I vote for Wii because of its 'right now' appeal (Good Fun, Good Price)

I agree with you guys that the 360 is a pile of puss. I'm on my 3rd (two warranty exchanges) 360 after the machine spirits got grumpy and went home. The Wii is awesome family fun as everyone can enjoy something on it. Wii Sports is my favourite. But, the ultimate machine for me is PS3. I don't have one because of the price. I reckon as soon as these babies come down to about $500.00 they'll storm out of the shops. Titles like Metal Gear Solid and Gran Turismo 5 will sell consoles and as previosly mentioned Blueray will make it worthwhile. :)

iceburn
7th May 2008, 05:09 PM
weee meee freeee?

Soundwarp
7th May 2008, 05:22 PM
PS3 for me!

Saintly
7th May 2008, 05:26 PM
wow... i'm not surprised at the results!

Wii is good value and fun.. just like the NDS...

PS3 is a technological marvel by far.

MV75
7th May 2008, 06:18 PM
Everyone can play on the wii. :)

The ps3 is ONLY good for being a bluray movie player.
________
Belvedere (http://www.dodge-wiki.com/wiki/Plymouth_Belvedere)

Kyle
7th May 2008, 06:33 PM
I have all 3. Wii gets most of my play time, followed by 360. PS3 does not have any game that I can't live without (yet).

Thanatos
7th May 2008, 06:40 PM
PS3 exclusives don't do it for me, and I don't own any bluray discs yet.

I like the Xbox 360, there's a lot of games I want to play on it (Gears of War, Halo 3, GTA IV) but am always afraid of the RROD. I haven't bought one yet as such.

I own a Wii, which is fun but doesn't really settle well with me like the older Nintendo consoles did. The motion sensor is fun but sometimes you just wanna sit down and play, not dance around like a madman.

So yeah, depends what you like. I recommend Xbox for some of the games, and Wii if you have heaps of friends to play with.

The_Damned
7th May 2008, 06:50 PM
there is no option for PC!!!

1orion2many
7th May 2008, 06:54 PM
:)360 is definitely aimed at the older gamer which is why I like it the most but can't recommend it due to the previously mentioned problems. If it was a stable console then it would have got my vote. One thing, if you do get RROD then they will replace the console even if it's out of warranty, unfortunately as I said before, I wsn't so lucky and ended up with a dead power brick instead:rolleyes: which seems to be a major problem which Microsoft are blaming on using power boards. I have checked up on some other message boards discussing this problem, people who work in the electrical trade have said it's a load of bollocks because the power difference between a wall outlet and a powerboard is so minimal it would not cause any problems, Microsoft are just using this as a scape goat because most people need to use powerboards to be able to have enough outlets for their electronic goods. Microsoft say 90% of power brick failures were plugged into powerboards, this is mainly due to 90% of the people using powerboards and not them actually being the problem. Have I put you off the 360 yet:D.

Pulse
7th May 2008, 07:33 PM
The only console with Gran Turismo is the PS3 - which makes it winner by default. :D

1orion2many
8th May 2008, 09:30 AM
The only console with Gran Turismo is the PS3 - which makes it winner by default. :D

:)Well it's a good thing i detest Car games as I find them boring as bats**t:p:D.

i_amtrunks
8th May 2008, 09:37 AM
Wii wins easily. I bought mine at launch and it has influenced another 5 purchases from my small group of friends alone. (many who thought the Wii was aimed only at children before they played it)

Completely fun and different, there are still some pretty good games for "serious gamers" but also a lot of games that are great for casual gamers to get into.

PS3 is okay, still no super dooper must own games yet, even DMC4 was 'meh'. It'll get more and more popular as the price drops (like the PS2).

You could not get me to ever buy an Xbox (not that I need to now), a mate had the original and the problems he had with it has turned me off them forever.

Pulse
8th May 2008, 11:46 AM
:)Well it's a good thing i detest Car games as I find them boring as bats**t:p:D.

Have you had a go at any version of Gran Turismo? Once you get past the early licence tests, GT is just impossible to stop playing - It is that bloody good! :D

You could not get me to ever buy an Xbox (not that I need to now), a mate had the original and the problems he had with it has turned me off them forever.

I've never had a problem with my Xbox (maybe your Mate got a dodgy one) & the only games I've got for it are Sega GT 2002, Rallisport Challenge & Showdown - Legends of Wrestling (all 3 kick-ass games).

When I play my games console, I become a hardcore gamer. If the Wii had a game similar to Gran Turismo or Sega GT 2002, then I would have a go at it.

This article speaks volumes about the Wii http://www.smh.com.au/news/technology/wiis-senior-moment/2007/12/05/1196530690541.html ;)

Fungal Infection
8th May 2008, 01:20 PM
I think one thing that's important to me as to which machine is the better choice is in its multiplayer/online capabilities. Me and my mates have gaming nights every 2nd weekend and we have access to all 3 machines. Of the group of 5, 4 of us have a PS3, one has an XBOX 360 and one has a Wii. We only play the XBOX 360 occassionally - one night we were playing Gears of War but after 30 minutes of gametime, the machine bricked on us (it has since been replaced under warranty). The Wii is a greaty party machine but we don't play it that often as we find the games too gimmicky and too kiddy. The PS3 gets the most playtime because of its online capabilities - we play Warhawk, Tekken, Mortal Kombat and Ridge Racer Online all the time and it never gets boring. Even when we don't have game nights we stay at home and challenge each other online from the comfort of our own homes. The XBOX has online capabilities too but none of us wanna risk buying one since that bricking incident. The Wii just doesn't offer a true multiplayer experience unless you are all together in the same room and it hardly has any games you can play online. So it comes down to this:

PS3 - decent games, best machine to play online
XBOX 360 - good games and online functions ruined by reliability issues
Wii - great party machine, almost non-existent online games to play

So for me, the choice is easy - PS3.

Tetsuwan Convoy
8th May 2008, 01:42 PM
The motion sensor is fun but sometimes you just wanna sit down and play, not dance around like a madman.

Yeh, thats my main complaint as well. Luckily though, they are beginning to pragramme the games with multiple control options (including the old Gamecube controllers) which is great. I just wish the Wii would get some mature good games that aren't Mario inspired. Still waiting for an ace RPG or something like that.

The Australian realease of the PS3 is a castrated piece of machinery and over-priced. There was so much cut out of the original release here it was a joke. On release, we were being charged $1000 for a lower grade machine whilst the yanks and Japs got (they were paying ~$700au) for a machine that could play PS1/2 games and had all the shebang. All we got was a PS3 with a smaller HD, no PS1/2 games and half the shebang. Apparently the overseas PS3 are losing the PS1/2 compatibility due to cost factors now (as it was done by hardware, not software). But I won't buy one on principle.

However PS3 games have no region protection, but Wii games do. Bluray? not right now, my TV is 15 years old and still going!

The_Damned
8th May 2008, 01:55 PM
pc Pc Pc Pc Pc Pc Pc

1orion2many
8th May 2008, 03:09 PM
pc Pc Pc Pc Pc Pc Pc

:)UPGRADE UPGRADE UPGRADE:p:D

MV75
8th May 2008, 03:57 PM
:)UPGRADE UPGRADE UPGRADE:p:D

Overpriced games, overpriced accessories, need 1080 32" screen, can't replace components, crashing, freezing up, weeks of turnaround for repairs, obsolete- replace the whole lot, stop playing I want to watch TV.

So yea, you wish you could do component upgrades. :p

Do I need to go on? :D
________
Cheap vaporizers (http://vaporizers.net/vaporizers)

Tiby
8th May 2008, 07:34 PM
Wii! No contest! The intuitive gameplay and physicality of it is true next gen. I don't care if I can't see 3D dust or snowflakes in every scene, it is about gameplay! Whenever I used to play on PC I always turned the graphics down a bit anyway to get rid of these distractions.

And I still don't get "X" being the accept button on the PS3... What the?

Kyle
8th May 2008, 10:23 PM
Bought Wii Fit this morning, and had a go just then. Loads of fun. :D

i_amtrunks
9th May 2008, 09:45 AM

It surprisingly is. My gf will be using it a lot more than me after she saw how easy it is to use.

Kyle
9th May 2008, 01:16 PM
It surprisingly is. My gf will be using it a lot more than me after she saw how easy it is to use.

Apparently my whole family is overweight... :eek:

i_amtrunks
9th May 2008, 01:55 PM
I think the fit board likes me, it put me a full 3 kg under what I normally am on the bathroom scales. I've got really bad knees, so my centre of gravity keeps shifting.

So far it's telling me that if I lose 3 kg, then I'll have a BMI of 22, instead of the 23.6 or whatever it is now.

Tetsuwan Convoy
9th May 2008, 09:50 PM
Wii! No contest! The intuitive gameplay and physicality of it is true next gen. I don't care if I can't see 3D dust or snowflakes in every scene, it is about gameplay! Whenever I used to play on PC I always turned the graphics down a bit anyway to get rid of these distractions.

Hear! Hear! If graphics were the answer to a good game, then nobody would have played games on the Atari 2600 (and many other original machines). I remember Double Dragon on 2600 and the main characters were made of 5 boxes. Each box was either a hand, foot or head. They were joined with a line.

When I was a lad, we were lucky to have three frames of animation for walking!

Graphics maketh not a game!

On the top of my to-get list!

Kyle
10th May 2008, 01:41 AM
I grew up with NES and SNES, so I like the games on Wii and DS. Wii has a good selection of must-have games now: Zelda Twilight Princess, Paper Mario, Metroid Prime 3, Mario Galaxy and Mario Kart. I like Wii Fit and Link's Target Practise. Also Smash Bros. Brawl should be good.

Tetsuwan Convoy
11th May 2008, 08:52 PM
I grew up with NES and SNES, so I like the games on Wii and DS. Wii has a good selection of must-have games now: Zelda Twilight Princess, Paper Mario, Metroid Prime 3, Mario Galaxy and Mario Kart. I like Wii Fit and Link's Target Practise. Also Smash Bros. Brawl should be good.

My biggest problem with the Wii, is all the games you mentioned there are all made by Nintendo. It seems there are no third party games that are worth mentioning.

They are all also sequels (except for Wii fit and Target practise, which is more of a spin off).

1orion2many
11th May 2008, 10:36 PM
:)I grew up with NES and SNES as well but preferred the Sega Mega drive. I still have the Sega dreamcast which was a much under rated system, if they had the money power of Sony i think sega would have gone ahead in the system wars but due to poor advertising, over pricing the system and the 2 systems before from sega being relative failures they doomed themselves. I still buy second hand games every now and then for the Dreamcast as it's still one of my favourite systems despite it's age.:cool:

Pulse
11th May 2008, 10:57 PM
I grew up with NES and SNES,

:)I grew up with NES and SNES as well but preferred the Sega Mega drive. I still have the Sega dreamcast which was a much under rated system, if they had the money power of Sony i think sega would have gone ahead in the system wars but due to poor advertising, over pricing the system and the 2 systems before from sega being relative failures they doomed themselves. I still buy second hand games every now and then for the Dreamcast as it's still one of my favourite systems despite it's age.:cool:

Getting all vintage are we? :D

My 1st "games console" was a Commodore 64 (which was used exclusively for "California Games") which was then followed by a NES, Mega Drive, Playstation & Xbox. Over the years, I also had access to an Atari, Sega Master System, Commodore 128, SNES & Game Cube so I guess I wasn't very brand specific at all :D.

The one consistent type of game I owned on most of my consoles were Rasslin' Games :o but other than that; I hired a lot of games, played them & returned them.

But the one older game I still play today is Street Fighter 2 that I found as a stand-alone plug-in-&-play version from Big W/Target a couple of years ago. It's just an awesome game that I never seem to get tired of! :p

1orion2many
11th May 2008, 11:19 PM
:DIf i was going to get nostalgiac on you i would start talking about the first space invader games that came out in the pinball parlours when I was 10 or 11 I think, back in 1977-78 which I would think would put a lot of you still in the swimming stage if you know what i mean;):p:D. I have a copy of Street Fighter turbo on my 3DO, yes another old banger of a console:o, that and Samurai Showdown where always mindless button slapping fun:cool:.

kup
11th May 2008, 11:56 PM
there is no option for PC!!!

Yeah. Well I guess that the PC is way above that bunch so it wouldn't be fair :)

Fungal Infection
12th May 2008, 12:56 AM
I don't suppose anyone here is interested in buying Dreamcast games and Sega Saturn system and games?

Kyle
12th May 2008, 01:02 AM
My biggest problem with the Wii, is all the games you mentioned there are all made by Nintendo. It seems there are no third party games that are worth mentioning.

They are all also sequels (except for Wii fit and Target practise, which is more of a spin off).

I'm happy to keep playing Nintendo only titles on my Wii, as long as they keep the big titles coming (but then again I have the other consoles as well... :p )

You still thinking of getting a R4 for your DS? I saw an advertisment on Curtin campus. Seems a local dealer is selling it. Will check his phone number tomorrow if you're still after it.

Kyle
12th May 2008, 01:03 AM
:DIf i was going to get nostalgiac on you i would start talking about the first space invader games that came out in the pinball parlours when I was 10 or 11 I think, back in 1977-78 which I would think would put a lot of you still in the swimming stage if you know what i mean;):p:D. I have a copy of Street Fighter turbo on my 3DO, yes another old banger of a console:o, that and Samurai Showdown where always mindless button slapping fun:cool:.

3DO was EXPENSIVE back in the days. :eek:

Borgeman
12th May 2008, 09:31 AM
http://nexgenwars.com/

the truth lies here

George

Pulse
12th May 2008, 10:51 AM
This talk of our games consoles over the years has got me thinking about the Arcade games I used to put way too many coins into :D.

I know I'm from a different generation from most of you but I just luved:

http://static4.filefront.com/images/lyjepqljak.jpg

http://www.bumper.com.au/partyhire/products/daytona.jpg

http://www.vgmuseum.com/reviews/genesis/punisher/Punisher4.gif

But my favourite by far was:

http://www.futuregamez.net/ps2games/capcomc/capcomc1.jpg

Final Fight was just so awesome!!!

STL
12th May 2008, 10:56 AM
I'm actually still playing final fight. I just did the other night. Still can't crack the fifth level after many years.

i_amtrunks
12th May 2008, 11:24 AM
This talk of our games consoles over the years has got me thinking about the Arcade games I used to put way too many coins in :D.

I know I'm from a different generation from most of you but I just luved:

http://static4.filefront.com/images/lyjepqljak.jpg

http://www.bumper.com.au/partyhire/products/daytona.jpg

I bought a crappy PS2 TMNT game purely to get the arcade Turtles in time game, and the NEs TMNT game was my first Wii retro game I downloaded.

And Daytona, oh how you ate my money back in high school. Still amazes me how good the game holds up (in terms of play, not graphics).

Gutsman Heavy
12th May 2008, 01:48 PM
I don't suppose anyone here is interested in buying Dreamcast games and Sega Saturn system and games?

very.

kup
12th May 2008, 01:52 PM
Every once in a while I play those Arcade games on an emulator on my PC. Despite their age they are still very entertaining and fun.

That's the beauty of the PC, if you are savvy enough you can run anything you want on it with better graphics! ;)

Pulse
12th May 2008, 02:51 PM
I'm actually still playing final fight. I just did the other night. Still can't crack the fifth level after many years.

Have you tried the myriad of cheats/hints websites? Or, You're not one of those gamers who takes shortcuts? ;)

STL
12th May 2008, 11:20 PM
Have you tried the myriad of cheats/hints websites? Or, You're not one of those gamers who takes shortcuts? ;)

I've never been much of a gamer. More of on-off when I'm board though I just started playing PC Marvel Ultimate Alliance last night and am pretty hooked... which could be bad... since exams are coming up and i'm many weeks behind uni thanks to job interviews.:eek:

Just FF cheats btw, thanks. :D

sifun
14th May 2008, 10:54 AM
how do you use the supers in final fight 3?

Tetsuwan Convoy
14th May 2008, 02:04 PM
Dreamcast is one of my faves as well. Although, I have a lot of classic games for my Sega Saturn, which was a decent machine that had some sweet games (Puzzle fighter, Panzer Dragoon Saga for eg)

Hell yes.

Final Fight was just so awesome!!!
I spent so much money on Final Fight over the years its ridiculous. I even went to the extent of buying it on Mega CD to run on an emulator in my PSP so its in my pocket (although large pockets)

how do you use the supers in final fight 3?

Yeh, how do you use the supers? Good game FF3, it adds to the gameplay a lot.

roller
14th May 2008, 02:06 PM
"some underworld spy or the wife of a close friend, wife of a close friend and your so....."

Pulse
14th May 2008, 03:17 PM
Has anyone ever looked into buying an arcade machine?

You sometimes hear of people owning pinball machines but I wonder how much they'd cost? (probably a goddamn fortune :rolleyes:)

kup
14th May 2008, 03:27 PM
Last I heard (don't even remember where I heard it) It was around $5000 for a regular (joystick and buttons) arcade machine. Nothing fancy like Daytona racer.

You can always buy those big Arcade like Joysticks, download an Arcade emulator and play it on the PC but that takes away the experience.

Pulse
14th May 2008, 03:39 PM
Last I heard (don't even remember where I heard it) It was around $5000 for a regular (joystick and buttons) arcade machine. Nothing fancy like Daytona racer.

Geezus! :eek: & I heard somewhere that they always need to get serviced... :rolleyes:

You can always buy those big Arcade like Joysticks, download an Arcade emulator and play it on the PC but that takes away the experience.

Yeah, I know what you mean. You can't kick & shake it when you can't get past a certain level ;)

Fungal Infection
14th May 2008, 08:32 PM
Actually its possible to get an arcade cabinet for only $500 but you'll need to provide your own monitor, arcade stick and PC to do it. Its basically an emulator fitted to a cabinet. For those who live in the area, The Comic Shop in Liverpool has one up and running and when I first saw it, I was actually fooled into thinking it was a genuine arcade cabinet when in fact it was what I had just described. So its not that expensive to own your own arcade machine. There is actually a site which supplies these cabinets but I can't be buggered searching for the link. :p

roller
14th May 2008, 11:00 PM
"Space the final frontier..."

kup
14th May 2008, 11:07 PM
Actually its possible to get an arcade cabinet for only $500 but you'll need to provide your own monitor, arcade stick and PC to do it. Its basically an emulator fitted to a cabinet. For those who live in the area, The Comic Shop in Liverpool has one up and running and when I first saw it, I was actually fooled into thinking it was a genuine arcade cabinet when in fact it was what I had just described. So its not that expensive to own your own arcade machine. There is actually a site which supplies these cabinets but I can't be buggered searching for the link. :p

That would be cool but I guess that it looses the in the nostalgic charm department when using something that is not the real article (even though many emulations improve on the graphics and sound with modern hardware).

Kyle
15th May 2008, 07:08 AM
Can you still put coins into these? :)

Fungal Infection
16th May 2008, 07:42 AM
Yes, but you need to purchase a coin box which plugs into your USB port - kinda impractical but if you wanna relive the retro experience, then hey, more power to you!

To Punish & Enslave
16th May 2008, 11:38 PM
Games on 360 are cool like halo 3 and gears of war. Online game play is awesome. But sadly I can’t recommend due to the failure rate. Mines been in twice for repair and they won’t tell me what it is they actually repaired/replaced. The Xbox 360 warranty support line has people that have accents that I’ve never encountered before. I’ve been told by several sources that they maybe Indians that have been trained to sound like Americans (not that I’m racist or have a problem with that). Any way I had to buy an aftermarket intercooler for the beasty and its sound like I have a turbo in my (Well Ventilated) TV cabinet when it’s on. Touch wood been ok for a few months so far. The original xbox was reliable not the 360.:cool:

kup
19th May 2008, 08:08 PM
Games on 360 are cool like halo 3 and gears of war. Online game play is awesome. But sadly I can’t recommend due to the failure rate. Mines been in twice for repair and they won’t tell me what it is they actually repaired/replaced. The Xbox 360 warranty support line has people that have accents that I’ve never encountered before. I’ve been told by several sources that they maybe Indians that have been trained to sound like Americans (not that I’m racist or have a problem with that). Any way I had to buy an aftermarket intercooler for the beasty and its sound like I have a turbo in my (Well Ventilated) TV cabinet when it’s on. Touch wood been ok for a few months so far. The original xbox was reliable not the 360.:cool:

The 360 is basically a watered down Gaming PC. You open one up and you can see pretty much a customized version of the same hardware architecture that you would see on a PC down to the individual chipset manufacturers.

As a result of it being closely based on PC architecture it suffers from exactly the same faults and that is overheating. Modern gaming PCs need insane amounts of cooling to function properly and this reaches the point that some of the super high end gaming PCs need to use water cooling so that they can minimize excessive fan noise.

The 360 is a PC locked up in a tiny plastic box and of course it is prone to overheating due to lack of proper ventilation and cooling.

kurdt_the_goat
19th May 2008, 11:30 PM
In WA, over the course of 360's lifespan, i've seen more in-store displays with the RROD than i have working units! And that's all i have to say :)

1orion2many
27th May 2008, 11:17 AM
In WA, over the course of 360's lifespan, i've seen more in-store displays with the RROD than i have working units! And that's all i have to say :)

I don't doubt this, it already has problems over heating and then they get put into another small secure box which has reduced airflow again, the double cook method:D.

sifun
27th May 2008, 12:05 PM
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of Patriots

June 12. Drool.
I will buy a ps3 just for this game

Kyle
27th May 2008, 12:21 PM
I have missed out preordering for the special edition... :o

1orion2many
27th May 2008, 08:41 PM
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of Patriots

June 12. Drool.
I will buy a ps3 just for this game

:)I will do it the cheap way and steal my sons:D.

1orion2many
27th May 2008, 09:07 PM
:(I finally just took the dive and bought another power brick for my 360 off ebay. $90.00 + $14.00 for express post. 1-3 days to wait for it to show up. I'm hoping this one will not fry as it has an earth on it where as the old one didn't:(.

1orion2many
27th May 2008, 09:08 PM
I have missed out preordering for the special edition... :o

:)I'm willing to bet my son has it on order:D.

Gutsman Heavy
27th May 2008, 10:23 PM
I vote for 360, even if I'm on my 6th console (maybe 7th, I've lost count) and it just scratched the shit out of my GTAIV disk.
Games man, games. 360 have them in spades, my ps3 has only been used for a blu-ray player, I've played 3 games on it.
360 has it all, except reliability, but has a 3 warrenty for that, and takes about 14 days to get back after sent off.

1orion2many
27th May 2008, 10:38 PM
:oI actually voted for the 360 as well despite my bad experience, Games choice is what persuaded me in the end as well;).

Paulbot
27th January 2009, 11:44 AM
Hmm, ok this thread has sat still for a while. I wonder if people have changed their minds?

EBGames have a $250 deal (http://www.ebgames.com.au/Xbox/product.cfm?ID=8781) on for a few more days for the XBOX 360 Arcade edition.

I was tempted mainly because I want to play the new Tomb Raider, Resident Evil, and Street Fighter (both IV and the Arcade Remix one) games. (Three of my all-time favourite game franchises.)

I have been a loyal Playstation guy but the lack of backwards compatiability on the PS3 has put me off (when my PS2 plays all my PSX and PS2 games happily) as has the price.

This seems insanely cheap for a next gen console.

I did some comparisions and it just seems to be the hard drive that's missing between this and the other versions of the 360 (and some online reviews recommend just picking up a hard drive cheaply from ebay).

The XBox price is much more attractive, and I could potentially trade in some games to lower the price a little more.

Or should I just save the money and put it towards my holiday instead? That would be the wiser thing to do!

llamatron
27th January 2009, 11:57 AM
Hard drive will set you back $50 - $100 depending on where you get it from.

Don't trade in games to get money off as they give literally a couple of bucks per game. Just sell them on eBay instead.

Paulbot
27th January 2009, 09:43 PM
I never hear good things about trading games at EB.

But what about the deal? Is it good? Would people these days recommend a 360 or say avoid it!

Golden Phoenix
27th January 2009, 10:11 PM
I never hear good things about trading games at EB.QUOTE]
It's rare to hear anything good about EB, except maybe from EB

[QUOTE=Paulbot;78551]But what about the deal? Is it good? Would people these days recommend a 360 or say avoid it!
Its a good deal for an Xbox.
The only thing I would worry about is the failure rate for the console. They are known for the Red Rings of Death

Stompy
27th January 2009, 10:26 PM
I personally think this console war was particularly interesting. The Wii won by making sure everyone of both genders and almost any age can play.

The 360 won me completely over by their move to listen and please their particular core audience and just continually build and continually listen to the demands of their userbase. Not to mention that nearly every developer is favouring this console and there's a heck of a lot more interesting exclusives on the 360 than the PS3.

The PS3 in my eyes is a sad state of affairs. Sony had the chance to have made a console that could dominate the market but failed to do so with a ridiculous pricepoint and forcing their propriety media player onto the market. Especially when they got rid of the backwards compatible model and resting on their laurels that thinking the Playstation brand will carry it to victory. The big games that was meant to sell the console failed to do so and the future is very fussy and perhaps grim for the machine. With plenty of previously labeled exclusives becoming available for the 360, the shift from developers jumping onto developing their games for the 360 as well proved a much more financially viable and would penetrate a greater share of the market.

That's just my own 3 cents though.

I'd say to investigate the games available for the consoles Paul and see what is available and most cost effective. I highly reccomend the 360 for the sheer cheap price and a tonne of games already available. I can give you some reccomendations if you need it. Just list the type of games you like ;)

TheDirtyDigger
27th January 2009, 10:33 PM
I could be wrong but I thought the Arcade edition had no online capability.

I have the PS3 and Wii.
Wii is good for family and friend group fun while the PS3 I mainly use for myself as a means to inflict virtual violence online against random strangers.

I can see the logic in Stompy's pro-Xbox argument about games availability but I also am a PS fan from way back.
And I love the Blueray player for movies.

Stompy
27th January 2009, 11:30 PM
The bluray player really pushed up the price of the console and while the media can store a LOT more data the drive reading technology is still really slow, hence why most games on the PS3 have mandatory installs to optimize the game to run at all. I'm not really against the PS3 at all. I'm just waiting for more reasons to grab the console. Maybe when it drops its price to sub $500 and a few of its upcoming games turn out to be great (Heavy Rain & Team ICO's new game). Singstar is already a great reason to get a PS3 (*blush*) but I need more to justify the purchase.

The Arcade console can still go online as long as you have a memory unit plugged in (comes bundled) which you also need for saving data anyway. Might be better off investing in the Pro version with the 20GB hard-drive

Borgeman
28th January 2009, 12:04 AM
Might be better off investing in the Pro version with the 20GB hard-drive

60gb these days ;)

as i worker at EB, all i can say is dont buy 360 pros, the failure rate is embarrassing, elites are much more reliable, and there is a deal for $500 now (6 months ago it was $750 w/o games). the arcades go ok, but as said previously you will need a hard drive - the memory stick wont cut it.

id still stick with the ps3, simply because the machine wont let you down - my store has never had a fault ps3 return since ive been there. 360s overheat to the shit, and everything will cost extra (online play, wireless connection adapter etc).

George

llamatron
28th January 2009, 12:21 AM
The 360's online service is pretty good (despite having to pay for it) but I'd still go with the PS3 over all. Not that expensive when you consider it has built in wireless, ample storage, better controllers, free online play and a bluray player.

Just don't become that guy that buys a Wii and after a month of use the novelty wears off and it gets packed away never to be touched again. :p

That happened to everyone I know who got one.

Kyle
28th January 2009, 12:29 AM
Paul I think buying an Xbox 360 now is a very good decision. Look up "Jasper". :)

turtle boy
28th January 2009, 12:54 AM
In all honesty, 360 are the way to go, (i have 3) simply because, there are more exclusives readily available, cheaper, and have many more options as to what kind of gamer you are..

IE the arcade, great for kids, comes with the arcade disk, no HDD, but arcade games, when could you go into intensity and save your game, then come back the next day and continue on for the save point. Never. 2 corded controls. AV cables. and that's about it. Last price I saw, $350.

Then there's the generic one, some say the arcade is the generic console.. but it's not. But 20GB hdd and a few games. 2 corded controls and AV/Component cables.. Release price $575.

The PRO now out with a 60GB hdd. Comes with I think mine was 1 cordless control, DVD remote, AV/Component cables, Ethernet cable and a headset. oh and 3 months Free Gold subscription. Release price $600 now down to about $450

And the mother of them all the Elite. HDMI or component, 120GB HDD, 4 Games, 1 cordless control, headset, a month of gold. ANNNND the console and control is black:p lol.. Release price $750 now down to about $650 to $590

The only thing PS3's have going for them in my mind, is how fast it takes to connect them to a wireless network (3 mins it took my mate to connect his to my network) the fact that playing online is completely free, unlike the 360. But the downloads for the PS are one to many, you have to download some virtual world thing and all this crap before you can even play..

The 360, though expensive for a 1 year subscription ($100). you only have to update games, and with a good connection takes a whole 2 1/2 mins. takes me about that, unless its a bigger update, like add ons. for a game.

you need to have a ps3 connected to the net to open up the WMA/V player. Unlike 360 where everything is just there and ready to go, from the moment you say let there be games...

External hdds, they are as easy to connect to a usb port as it is to transform G1 bumbles.. But I have never come across so much stuff a$$ing around to get one to work on a ps3.. download this.. reformat that, rename this, make these files. name them that... BAH! I sad good day to you sir..
The 360.. is sooooo damn easy. plug in, select files.. "And awaaay we go"

I don't know the prices on a ps3 stuff so i cant comment on that.

But the backwards compatible issue, 360 is there and ready to go, you can ever download OG xbox games if you can seem to find it in a store. just download from the market place or a torrent and install on your HDD. PS3 you cant do squat, unless you have the ye old my hdd will blow up in this paper weight version of the console, or you have to get some software, and it takes for ever to get downloads on a ps3(everything does). I don't know why, but I want my 35 mins of my life back. Eh I'd just waste them anyway..

So 360's win in my eyes..

Don't get me started on the Wii. Tell me I'm 75 years old..
*walks off slams door*

King Atlas
28th January 2009, 01:32 AM
Ive had a 360 elite since the time it was released and I havn't had a single problem. My cousin owns the standard version and he is yet to encounter any problems either, though he did purchase his earlier last year. Avoid buying second hand at all cost in my opinion.

Also (not sure if ps3 has this option) during the last update, the 360 gained a huge upgrade, allowing games to be installed in the harddrive, allowing faster gameplay and significantly lowering load times, giving your disc a longer life span and getting rid of that horrible noise everytime your disc is running in the tray.

It has the greatest titles and also ,yeah, the exclusive are awesome :D
(msn messenger being exclusive to 360 may be a plus for all those addicts :p)

Gutsman Heavy
28th January 2009, 03:07 AM
id still stick with the ps3, simply because the machine wont let you down

PS3 isn't indestructible. Mine wouldn't accept disks, just made a clunking noise as the disk was half hanging out the feeder :(

dead blu-ray lasers are quite common.

Borgeman
28th January 2009, 03:44 AM
nah i didnt mean that it is - just that compared to the 360, it is much more reliable :)

George

Tommy K
28th January 2009, 09:10 AM
i have a wii, and ssbb but i want a ps3 with the resistance games

1orion2many
28th January 2009, 09:10 AM
:)Listen to the wisdom of an old fart:o, I have the basic 360 and it has been running fine for 2 years now. I can't sasy the same for the power brick that came with it as mine died after a year. I bought a new brick off ebay and have had no probs since. My original brick didn't have an earth but the new one does which I think makes a difference, correct me if I'm wrong anyone which I'm sure someone will:p:D. It has the largest library of adult orientated games I believe where as the Wii(even though I like it) is aimed at a younger audience and I'm not to sure where the PS3 is going:confused:. The only reason I get PS3 is if your after a cheap Blu-Ray otherwise 360. I hope everyones opinion has made that as clear as mud lol. Get the elite version if you can afford it and want it, I got my 360 with a phone deal so that was the only reason it was the basic version and not the elite:o. While I remeber you can get an add on fan to help keep the 360 cool if you want for about $15-$20.;)

JuzMel
28th January 2009, 10:47 AM
Paul, I think it really depends on the type of games you like to play.

Wii - My point of view, more for kids / teenagers or a family thing where everyone gets together play or when you have a party and friends over and want some entertainment for more than 2 people.

PS3/xbox - More for gamers with the RPG, first-shooter, sports games, better graphics and more adult game play.

I have played on a friend's PS3 before and it looks awesome on the HD-TV. But when connected to a normal CVT, the graphics really suck big time. So if you don't own a HD-TV, don't contemplate buying a PS3 at all, cause there's really no point.

I got the xbox 360 arcade from a JB HiFi offer - $259 Bundle with Gears of War II and Sega Superstar Tennis a month ago (shared with the BF). :p And though it only comes with 256MB Memory card, we don't see any problems with it. We played through and saved 9-10 games and there's still abundance in memory. Unless you're a hard-core gamer who's playing almost 24/7 and want to download lots of games from xbox live website, you don't really need extra memory or hard-disk.

As for reliability, the newer models have probably improved. We sometimes play and leave it on for hours while we watch TV and then get back to it, no problems so far. But yeah only down-point is that you have to buy a wireless network card. But it doesn't bother us as we don't need to go online to connect to xbox online anyway.

The BF was pretty happy saying that for just over $250, it's a pretty good console with good graphics and sound. I love the games too. Most games that are released for PS3 are also released for Xbox and Wii anyway.

And yeah, don't ever trade in games to EB Games, they give shit prices. Sell on ebay. Some games are also cheaper to buy on ebay - New and Sealed, but yet cheaper than their pre-own.

Hereticpoo
28th January 2009, 12:13 PM
I own a PS3, the only good thing about it is the blueray player. Don't buy one unless you really need to, or not untill the price dips below $500

I have had every generation of the playstation and for me PS3 was an easy choice. But the resentment builds slowly....

Games: I still have not seen a game that performs better graphically on PS3 over the X360. Developers and Publishers just don't want to push the machine too show its real potential because if you develop a X360 game, they can just port it for PS3. $110 for a new 'popular' game....

GTA IV: A reason to buy the machine, is the biggest let down ever. If you've played GTA San Andreas you will want to smash this game to bits.
GTA IV has story missions and a 'friends' side missions. Thats it. The friend missions are so annoying you'll probably play right through the Story missions without bothering with the Friends.

GTA IV doesn't have; Fixed wing Aircraft of any kind, no Apache's, Harrier's, P-51 Mustangs, Cessna's, 747's, Cargo Choppers, Cargo Planes. There's no Nascar like race's, Monster Trucks, Tanks, Fire Dept Missions, Ambulance Missions, Gang Turf Wars, Real Estate, Character Level up / Customistation, Car Customisation, CASINO or Flame Throwers.

GTA IV next to San Andreas = 5/10...at best.

Oh and too rub salt in X360 gets the exclusive expansion, "The Lost and Damned"

Star Wars Battlefront So much fun, nowhere in sight.

Ace Combat: You'll never see it on PS3, X360 has it now.

Gran Turismo 5: The biggest marketing mistake sony has ever made. This should have been ready at the PS3's launch. Sure by now it'd be outdated but then we'd get an A Spec version. This game is a console seller, something sony are struggling to do. We wont see it till 2010, around the time we'll start seeing GEN IV console. Consider the boat sailed.

PS3 Home network What a waste of money and Time! Develop the dam games sony! That why I bought a PLAYstation! :mad:

So there's my rant, the PS3 isn't good value. If I could I'd go back and get a 360 and a blueray player, I still would have saved money. :)

Paulbot
28th January 2009, 12:28 PM
PS3 is too expensive for me at the moment, and I think I'm ready to make the switch since the PS3 game range seems really limited.

It's good to know that JB did a similar price deal, thanks Mel, as it means I don't have to rush the decision. (I'd need to buy it today or tomorrow to get EB's deal)

I've not been playing console games much lately which makes the decision harder to make. I have much more time to play handheld which is why I got my DS. But the Xbox 360 console seemed cheap and it would allow me to play Tomb Raider which I am dying to play (and the PS2 version is taking for ever and wont be as pretty) and Street Fighter IV which I'd love to play.

I might wait and see if JB offer their deal again as two games instead of one for $10 more is a good bargain.

llamatron
28th January 2009, 12:41 PM
Most games are released for the 360 and the PS3, it just depends which exclusives you like better. For me I'll take Uncharted, Metal Gear Solid 4 and God of War 3 over Halo any day...

Gutsman Heavy
28th January 2009, 12:45 PM
GTA IV: A reason to buy the machine, is the biggest let down ever. If you've played GTA San Andreas you will want to smash this game to bits.
GTA IV has story missions and a 'friends' side missions. Thats it. The friend missions are so annoying you'll probably play right through the Story missions without bothering with the Friends.

GTA IV doesn't have; Fixed wing Aircraft of any kind, no Apache's, Harrier's, P-51 Mustangs, Cessna's, 747's, Cargo Choppers, Cargo Planes. There's no Nascar like race's, Monster Trucks, Tanks, Fire Dept Missions, Ambulance Missions, Gang Turf Wars, Real Estate, Character Level up / Customistation, Car Customisation, CASINO or Flame Throwers.

GTA IV next to San Andreas = 5/10...at best.

Oh and too rub salt in X360 gets the exclusive expansion, "The Lost and Damned"

/agree 100%
get Saints row 2, its actually fun! REMEMBER FUN ROCKSTAR!?

oh and the PS3 GTAIV runs in 630P native resolution, technically NOT HIGH-DEF!

yes I am kinda jaded for spending money on a PS3 (even if it was $450 brand new :()

sifun
28th January 2009, 01:22 PM
ps3 in my opinion is pretty good.
Cheap and Powerful Blu-ray player
Free online multiplayer
Games haven't reached the PS3's full potential yet

A number of exclusives I really like:
Metal Gear solid 4
Uncharted1 and upcoming 2
God of war 3
Killzone 2
Gran Turismo 5.
Final Fantasy 13 (well most of it)
Motorstorm series

I love the fact that I can use it to stream all my media wirelessly with ease from my computer too. It was really easy to set up too.
Runs relatively cool and quiet- failure rate isn't too high.

JuzMel
28th January 2009, 03:16 PM
I might wait and see if JB offer their deal again as two games instead of one for $10 more is a good bargain.

Yeah the deal now at EB Games isn't very good. Just 2-3 weeks ago, they had that same deal including Guitar Hero game and the Guitar for $299! The guitar itself is already $199 RRP, so that bundle was a good buy. (you can even sell the guitar if that kind of game doesn't interest you.)

Big W had that same package that EB Games has now, but was only $229. Those were all pre New Year's eve / New Year's deals though. But I'm sure they will have other deals for the coming Valentine's Day maybe? :)

Paulbot
30th January 2009, 04:14 PM
Yeah the deal now at EB Games isn't very good. Just 2-3 weeks ago, they had that same deal including Guitar Hero game and the Guitar for $299! The guitar itself is already $199 RRP, so that bundle was a good buy. (you can even sell the guitar if that kind of game doesn't interest you.)

Big W had that same package that EB Games has now, but was only $229. Those were all pre New Year's eve / New Year's deals though. But I'm sure they will have other deals for the coming Valentine's Day maybe? :)

I'm going to see if I can get a better deal than the one EB Games had (finished yesterday) as those ones that sound much better. Or I might follow 1orion2many's lead and see if I can find a deal on a new mobile that could include one as a freebie.

I will probably wait a bit longer before buying anything (as I have some PS2 games I should clock first) but I have a big birthday coming up and a new console could be the perfect present (except I'm leaving the country a few days later). Still I will probably hold off until mid-year. Once I finally have my new home I'll have regular XBOX nights. :D

Tetsuwan Convoy
6th February 2009, 08:32 PM
Just don't become that guy that buys a Wii and after a month of use the novelty wears off and it gets packed away never to be touched again. :p

That happened to everyone I know who got one.
I still play the hell out of my Wii.

Sure, I had to twilight hack it and import Tatsunok Vs Capcom from Japan, but its still good!

Nintendo need to pull their finger out and release some real games for it instead of the same old tripe that keeps on being dumped on us.

I too am suffereing the PS3 vs Xbox dilemna now. I have informed the wife of my need for Street Fighter 4 and that I will be having it:D.

The PS3 doesn't have backwards compaability with ps2 games anymore does it? I know the austalian one never did, but from a quick search of other regions (Japan), it seems the concept has been dropped.

Oh are the xbox games region locked? PS3 Ones aren't, but I think Blue-ray movies are.

llamatron
6th February 2009, 08:36 PM

Sure, I had to twilight hack it and import Tatsunok Vs Capcom from Japan, but its still good!

Nintendo need to pull their finger out and release some real games for it instead of the same old tripe that keeps on being dumped on us.

I too am suffereing the PS3 vs Xbox dilemna now. I have informed the wife of my need for Street Fighter 4 and that I will be having it:D.

The PS3 doesn't have backwards compaability with ps2 games anymore does it? I know the austalian one never did, but from a quick search of other regions (Japan), it seems the concept has been dropped.

Oh are the xbox games region locked? PS3 Ones aren't, but I think Blue-ray movies are.

The 60 GB PS3 model is the best backwards compatible one, one of the 80 GB versions has a form of backwards compatibility but it's not as good (and no longer in production). PS3 games are region free and maybe half of Blu-ray discs are region free, although there are only 3 Blu-Ray regions.

jacksplatt11
6th February 2009, 08:48 PM
I will be getting a PS3, when I can afford one :p Too many issues with Xbox 360 due to poor testing, no-one I know has been completely happy with it, whereas I've yet to meet anyway unhappy with the PS3. Backwards compatibility with PS2 games is no issue because my PS2 is still working perfectly. Those big ones are beasts, all the slim ones die too easily, mine has outlasted 2 of my sisters slims haha

Wii does nothing for me, if I wanna play sports games doing the actions, I'll just go play those sports in real life. I would be the kind of person who gets sick of the novelty, plus I can always just go to my cousins round the corner and play theirs. The only games I would buy are Mario Kart and Super Smash Bros

Gutsman Heavy
6th February 2009, 09:23 PM

No current PS3s have PS2 BC, unless its a 2nd hand one, and in the case of the AUS release, only limited BC. Blu-Ray is region locked, warner bro's and Universal films aren't the others vary from a disk to disk basis.

360 games are locked on a game by game basis.

Tetsuwan Convoy
6th February 2009, 09:32 PM
Backwards compatibility with PS2 games is no issue because my PS2 is still working perfectly.

Wii does nothing for me, if I wanna play sports games doing the actions, I'll just go play those sports in real life. I would be the kind of person who gets sick of the novelty, plus I can always just go to my cousins round the corner and play theirs. The only games I would buy are Mario Kart and Super Smash Bros

The only reason I am interested in the backwards compatability is I hate having 80 billion consoles hanging around for only 1 or 2 games! I still have my Mega CD stashed in the cupboard for Sonic CD times......

One thing I dislike about the Wii are the motion controls, its ok of you have the option of changing controller, but if you can't it sucks.

I really wanna play the new Tomb Raider game, but haven't coz to play it, you have to shake the controllers about in certian bits. WHY? Just let me use the damn classic controller and sit my lazy ass on the couch dammit!!!!:mad: As a result, I too have been waiting for the (n)on-coming PS2 version.

No current PS3s have PS2 BC, unless its a 2nd hand one, and in the case of the AUS release, only limited BC. Blu-Ray is region locked, warner bro's and Universal films aren't the others vary from a disk to disk basis.

Hmmmm, ok thanks. I wonder if any homebrew developers have done some ps2 emulating on it? (off to google)

Golden Phoenix
6th February 2009, 09:49 PM
Hmmmm, ok thanks. I wonder if any homebrew developers have done some ps2 emulating on it? (off to google)

That was how the Australian release did it originally, but it didn't a lot of games, so they scrapped it

Paulbot
6th February 2009, 11:43 PM
I have informed the wife of my need for Street Fighter 4 and that I will be having it:D.

I really wanna play the new Tomb Raider game...

The exact same two games that have me looking to upgrade my console too :D

Kyle
7th February 2009, 10:24 AM

360 games are locked on a game by game basis.

My PS3 is the early 60 GB model with PS2 BC. :D

Remember reading somewhere that a guy's early model broke down and Sony didn't repair it. They sent him a later model PS3 with a PS2 slim instead. The latest PS2 slim model isn't too bad with the power adaptor now built into the actual console, all in one piece.

Kyle
7th February 2009, 10:36 AM
The 60 GB PS3 model is the best backwards compatible one, one of the 80 GB versions has a form of backwards compatibility but it's not as good (and no longer in production). PS3 games are region free and maybe half of Blu-ray discs are region free, although there are only 3 Blu-Ray regions.

I think only North American and Japan NTSC 20/60 GB machines have hardware BC (PS2 chip and graphics still on board). All European and Australian PAL 60 GB models were released months after and the PS2 chip was removed (graphics chip still there though) so BC was done through software emulation. BC aside, the 60 GB models (NTSC and PAL) were the best ever because of built-in wifi, card reader and all 4 USB ports which the other models lack.

North America and Japan then got their 80GB models and these also have the PS2 chip removed and again BC was done by software. Later the whole world got the 40 GB models and all of these have even the PS2 graphic chip removed and without BC whatsoever. The 80 GB models in Australia right now are basically like the 40 GB models and without BC.

Omega Supreme
7th February 2009, 10:53 AM
I have a 360 and a Wii. The 360 has great games and the excellent feature of being able to play avi's, although I have a few dvd players that already do that so its not really that much of a perk for me. I had to buy a plug in fan to keep the xbox from running so hot, the console is literally too hot to touch after about 40 mins of play, the fan keeps it, well warm to be honest, but at least not burning hot.

When I first starting playing the Wii I thought it was stupid and had no good games, but after a couple more attempts & trying out different games, I have to say im hooked, this is IMO by far the best console to date. While the graphics arent as high def as the 360 or PS3, I find the multiplayer games more than make up for any other area's it may be lacking in. For me video games are more a social thing rather than something I want to sit and do by myself. Granted the Wii can be abit frustrating at times in respect to controls not working as they should, it still gets my vote as #1 console.

The PS3 I feel is a big let down, as I saw mentioned earlier in this thread, its only good as a Blu Ray player and IMO Blu Ray/High Def movies are just another way to add higher costs to the consumer. The PS2 was a legendary console with many great games and by far the best console of its era but I believe Nintendo has come out on top if you take into consideration what most gamers look for in a console, major one being price. Also I think the lack of a Dvd player in the Wii shows Nintendo are more dedicated to gaming.

llamatron
7th February 2009, 09:17 PM
I think only North American and Japan NTSC 20/60 GB machines have hardware BC (PS2 chip and graphics still on board). All European and Australian PAL 60 GB models were released months after and the PS2 chip was removed (graphics chip still there though) so BC was done through software emulation. BC aside, the 60 GB models (NTSC and PAL) were the best ever because of built-in wifi, card reader and all 4 USB ports which the other models lack.

North America and Japan then got their 80GB models and these also have the PS2 chip removed and again BC was done by software. Later the whole world got the 40 GB models and all of these have even the PS2 graphic chip removed and without BC whatsoever. The 80 GB models in Australia right now are basically like the 40 GB models and without BC.

Hmm interesting. I have a 60 GB UK version. I've had pretty in depth use of the Wii, 360 and PS3 and I'd have to say that the PS3 is king for me. Although I must admit that the 360's online service is pretty good, just a shame that it's a paid subscription and the consoles don't have an inbuilt wireless adapter.

Stompy
7th February 2009, 09:41 PM
Hmm since people are jumping the next gen consoles for Street Fighter 4, any Xbox Live users can hit me up (Live ID: Chibi Rok) and we can have some online matches. Hopefully it won't be as laggy as Soul Calibur 4 online.

Tetsuwan Convoy
7th February 2009, 10:43 PM
The exact same two games that have me looking to upgrade my console too :D

To quote blaster "No way, two can play" er hang on wrong quote, "Great Minds think along the same lines"

Its a dilemna isn't it? I neliev SF4 will have online play!!:D

Autocon
8th February 2009, 01:16 AM
i have tomb raider underwolrd for PC it lags something shocking

GTA iv for pc wont even play:mad:

theres just too many things wrong with consoles to make that leap yet

Tetsuwan Convoy
8th February 2009, 02:24 PM
i have tomb raider underwolrd for PC it lags something shocking

GTA iv for pc wont even play:mad:

theres just too many things wrong with consoles to make that leap yet

And obviously the PC world is giving you your fix;)

Thats the reason I skip PCs for gaming. So much time and money spent messing around trying to make sure they have all the correct specs. Then a month later, its out of date. At least consoles have solid hardware from which to work.

i_amtrunks
9th February 2009, 11:31 AM
After seeing and reading about Batman: Arkham Asylum, as well as the impending SFIV game, I am feelign the need for a PS3 more than ever.

The fact that i can also borrow Burnout, Prince of Persia, MGSIV and GTAIV from mates straight from the get go is also rather enticing...

Fungal Infection
9th February 2009, 02:23 PM
Dont forget that DC Universe Online is a PC and PS3 exclusive too (its developed by Sony so no chance of it appearing on XBox).

Paulbot
20th February 2009, 04:28 PM
I have put my XBox purchasing on hold for now. When I saw the PS2 version of Tomb Raider Underworld finally on the shelf I couldn't resist (and really $50 to play it is a much cheaper option than $450+ outlay to play it on an XBox). The graphics aren't as hot but I have a small TV anyway and the game plays the same. I still have a couple of other PS2 games I've barely started playing (Final Fantasy XII, Lego Batman) so buying a new console is something that really can wait.

Gutsman Heavy
20th February 2009, 05:17 PM
consoles only get cheaper, so no harm in waiting.

Tetsuwan Convoy
20th February 2009, 08:19 PM
I have put my XBox purchasing on hold for now. When I saw the PS2 version of Tomb Raider Underworld finally on the shelf I couldn't resist (and really $50 to play it is a much cheaper option than $450+ outlay to play it on an XBox). The graphics aren't as hot but I have a small TV anyway and the game plays the same. I still have a couple of other PS2 games I've barely started playing (Final Fantasy XII, Lego Batman) so buying a new console is something that really can wait.

Its out?!?! AT LAST!!!!

Paulbot
19th August 2009, 04:56 PM
Playstation 3 price cut (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?p=124399#post124399) makes it possibly an attractive purchase again.

Just when I was so sure I'd be buying an Xbox!! :o

MV75
23rd August 2009, 03:12 PM
I'd still buy an xbox. Actually, no I wouldn't, I'd buy an ati 4890 video card to go into my amd 955 system..... then buy some more games for my new nintendo DS instead. :)

You can buy standalone bluray players now cheaper and they don't consume a jigawatt of power to run.

Deonasis
23rd August 2009, 03:34 PM
I have a 360 and a Wii. I went with the 360 because of the great titles, demos and online play. I have had a RROD and I'm sure I'll have another one but it wasn't too much of a pain. The Wii mostly comes out when friends come over who aren't familiar with the 360.

fatbot
23rd August 2009, 04:07 PM
I've got a 360, i've had the ps3. Trust me, go the 360, better games, easier to get any DLC your after and it's a hell of a lot quieter then the ps3.

Doubledealer
24th August 2009, 12:07 PM
I have all 3 consoles and get the most use out of the PS3. Not only can it play BD's, it's also a wireless media centre out of the box. It also helps that it has most of the games I'm looking forward to: TRICO, Uncharted 2, God of War 3, Heavy Rain. They're all great choices though, you can't really go wrong with any of the 3 systems. :)

Paulbot
24th August 2009, 12:48 PM
I had been tempted back towards the PS3 due to the price drop, but looking around the stores on the weekend the range and price of the games is convincing me back towards the Xbox 360.

None of the stores I visited (EB, Big W, Kmart) seems to have many PS3 game titles. In the Xbox 360 aisle there seems to be 2-3 times as many (at least).

The PS3 games also don't seem to drop in price. The cheapest PS3 game I saw was something like $60, whereas there were plenty of Xbox 360 games for under $50 (older titles but also new things like DC vs Mortal Kombat).

Kyle
24th August 2009, 01:21 PM
Do you already have a HD LCD TV, or planning to get one soon? (720p at least.) If not, I would go for the 360, as you won't get any of the benefit from watching Blu-ray.

llamatron
24th August 2009, 01:35 PM
Big advantage of the PS3 is that all the games are region free so you can order them from overseas for much cheaper. 360's are region locked so it turns out that really PS3 games are less expensive.

Paulbot
24th August 2009, 01:59 PM
Big advantage of the PS3 is that all the games are region free so you can order them from overseas for much cheaper. 360's are region locked so it turns out that really PS3 games are less expensive.

I am never going to be able to decide :( :rolleyes:

Kyle
24th August 2009, 02:10 PM
Buy both... :o:p:D

Gutsman Heavy
24th August 2009, 03:07 PM
Want a games console? Get 360 (better range of games (that are usually better than PS3 counterpart, eg Fallout 3), prices drop quicker, much better games on DL service, better online play (monthly fee sadly))

Want a media center that also plays games? get PS3 (Blu-ray, decent media centre that seems to support more video file than xbox (in my experience), wireless out of box (not a pro for me, I hate wireless, but most seem to go giddy over it))

I'd wait a bit and see how MS respond to the PS3 price cuts.

kurdt_the_goat
24th August 2009, 05:01 PM
I had been tempted back towards the PS3 due to the price drop, but looking around the stores on the weekend the range and price of the games is convincing me back towards the Xbox 360.

None of the stores I visited (EB, Big W, Kmart) seems to have many PS3 game titles. In the Xbox 360 aisle there seems to be 2-3 times as many (at least).

The PS3 games also don't seem to drop in price. The cheapest PS3 game I saw was something like $60, whereas there were plenty of Xbox 360 games for under $50 (older titles but also new things like DC vs Mortal Kombat).

You shouldn't be so concerned about the range of games in general, instead you should have a clear idea of which games you specifically want to play. It's the exclusive titles that define a console... probably the reason this decision has become more difficult in recent years, is the trend of almost everything being multiplatform to cover development costs!

Your comment earlier about the PS2 version of Tomb Raider makes me think marginal differences between PS3/360 versions of games won't make a difference to you - nor will features like blu ray on a small tv! So, make a list of the exclusive titles, then exclusive features you actually want, and finally factor in price, to compare them more directly.

Golden Phoenix
24th August 2009, 09:59 PM

Wait until X-mas. There will be a whole bunch of deals and what not

Autocon
25th August 2009, 12:48 AM
I am never going to be able to decide :( :rolleyes:

poll vote
PS3 12
360 12

no it doesnt help lol:p

Wii 25!

sifun
26th August 2009, 07:58 AM
ps3!

mightyant
27th August 2009, 12:13 AM
360 all the way! Sure the red ring thing upset a lot of people (me included ha!) but hey, it covers all bases, and microsoft games studios pumps out alot more quality than just halo. The fact that live content is quota free for iinet helps too, especially with video on demand coming!

Autocon
27th August 2009, 02:25 PM
360 all the way! Sure the red ring thing upset a lot of people (me included ha!) but hey, it covers all bases, and microsoft games studios pumps out alot more quality than just halo. The fact that live content is quota free for iinet helps too, especially with video on demand coming!

you need to vote:p

Paulbot
27th August 2009, 02:50 PM
Autocon, you started this poll way back when (and its useful for me too :) ). Have you ever decided/purchased one of the options or still undecided like me?

mightyant
28th August 2009, 09:54 AM
you need to vote:p
Apparently I'm not allowed ha ha :(

Paulbot
28th August 2009, 02:24 PM
Is there a good resource/website that can tell me what games you can download for the PS3 and which you can download for the XBox (without actually having the devices :o)

You shouldn't be so concerned about the range of games in general, instead you should have a clear idea of which games you specifically want to play. It's the exclusive titles that define a console... probably the reason this decision has become more difficult in recent years, is the trend of almost everything being multiplatform to cover development costs!

Your comment earlier about the PS2 version of Tomb Raider makes me think marginal differences between PS3/360 versions of games won't make a difference to you - nor will features like blu ray on a small tv! So, make a list of the exclusive titles, then exclusive features you actually want, and finally factor in price, to compare them more directly.

I have a small TV, but exclusive titles like Metal Gear Solid and Uncharted are pushing me back towards the PS3. :confused:

Gutsman Heavy
28th August 2009, 04:19 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xbox_Live_Arcade_games

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_downloadable_PlayStation_games

Autocon
30th August 2009, 02:43 PM
Apparently I'm not allowed ha ha :(

really? what would you vote for?

i havent decided yet.. :p

fatbot
30th August 2009, 05:53 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xbox_Live_Arcade_games

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_downloadable_PlayStation_games

the page for the ps3 DLC only show europe usa and japan, what about Australia? At least with the 360, you know it's worldwide, plus it tells you how much it costs.

Kyle
30th August 2009, 06:55 PM
the page for the ps3 DLC only show europe usa and japan, what about Australia? At least with the 360, you know it's worldwide, plus it tells you how much it costs.

When a new game is made available for download on the 360, they do it worldwide at the same time.

After MANY months of waiting, Super Street Fighter 2 HD Remix is still not available for download on Australian PS3 yet...

Fungal Infection
30th August 2009, 07:00 PM
When a new game is made available for download on the 360, they do it worldwide at the same time.

After MANY months of waiting, Super Street Fighter 2 HD Remix is still not available for download on Australian PS3 yet...

Are you sure about that? I have a download of it on my PS3 from 2 months ago that says otherwise. And yes, its from the AU store.

Fungal Infection
30th August 2009, 07:01 PM

When a game or DLC is released for Europe, its the same for Australia. We fall into the same territory as Europe (PAL).

Kyle
30th August 2009, 08:17 PM
Are you sure about that? I have a download of it on my PS3 from 2 months ago that says otherwise. And yes, its from the AU store.

I turned on my PS3 about 2 weeks ago. Was happy that they had Marvel vs Capcom 2. When I clicked on one of the windows on the front page of the Network Store it took me to a SSFIIHDRemix info page which listed the release date of the game as TBA or TBC, so I didn't bother clicking my way into the S section to see if it was there yet. Well I'm happy if the game is indeed finally available from the AU store, because there *WAS* months of waiting with it not initially available at the AU store. I remember checking the AU store every week for months. In the end I just gave up and did not bother. I can play the games on 360 anyway.

llamatron
31st August 2009, 12:39 PM
If there are problems with worldwide release dates on the PS3 Store just setup a new PSN ID under a different user and select a foreign country for them. PROBLEM SOLVED!

Gutsman Heavy
31st August 2009, 03:28 PM
If there are problems with worldwide release dates on the PS3 Store just setup a new PSN ID under a different user and select a foreign country for them. PROBLEM SOLVED!

wont work if you need to pay via Visa, MasterCard supposedly works. Or buy US PSN points via ebay seller.

Tetsuwan Convoy
9th September 2009, 02:49 PM
Wheeee finally bought my own PS3! The Downloadable stuff for Batman Arkham Asylum sold it for me. Dick smith had a good deal where you got Batman and the PS3 for $500!!..MINE!:D

Doubledealer
9th September 2009, 04:17 PM
Wheeee finally bought my own PS3! The Downloadable stuff for Batman Arkham Asylum sold it for me. Dick smith had a good deal where you got Batman and the PS3 for $500!!..MINE!:D

$500 inc. Batman? That is a bloody bargain! A couple of things I didn't notice straight away that might be of help to you:

1. The PS3 gyro thingy can be using to control batman mid-flight as well as to control the batarang n shake off certain enemies (reading the manual actually helps sometimes >_<). You can obviously do these things with the normal controls but it's a bitta fun.

2. Quite a few movies can be seen in the video section on the PS3 menu (not in the actual game - I don't think so anyways :p).

Only crap thing about the PS3 version of Arkham Asylum is it only runs in 720p. Can someone confirm if this is the case with the 360 version as well or can it run in 1080p?

Other PS3 exclusives I can't recommend enough are:

1. Uncharted
2. Little Big Planet
3. Killzone 2
4. Resistance (awesome co-op too, the sequel omits this feature and suffers for it - well, it actually does have a co-op mode but it's not the main campaign :/)
5. Flower (DLC)

llamatron
9th September 2009, 06:13 PM

I also picked up this awesome deal and sold my old 60 GB PS3 to cover it...

Totally awesome deal. Still playing through Fallout 3 so I haven't tried Batman yet but I loved the demo.

Kyle
9th September 2009, 09:53 PM
Wow Tets you can finally play SFIV!!! :D

I would also recommend Ninja Gaiden Sigma.

llama, how different does the new slim console feel in person, compared to your old 60 GB?

llamatron
9th September 2009, 10:30 PM

llama, how different does the new slim console feel in person, compared to your old 60 GB?

I guess the main difference is that the power and eject buttons are now click buttons instead of those pressure/conducting ones they had on the 60 gb. The unit looks a lot nicer and is a lot smaller.

Autocon
9th September 2009, 10:48 PM
ive decided to buy which ever one wins

14 a piece still no victory in sight:p

Tetsuwan Convoy
10th September 2009, 02:55 AM

Havent played Ninja Gaiden since the cool NES version!:D I took SFIV online on my mates and got my a$$ handed to me... I had been playing the Saturn version of various SF Zero's and i keep playing IV with same control as Zeros. In case anyone is wondering, there is a bit of diference in button timeing for the moves. Taking me a while to get the hang of it..

ive decided to buy which ever one wins

14 a piece still no victory in sight:p

Dang! I was gonna chuck another vote in for the PS3, but I already voted for da wii a long time ago...

$500 inc. Batman? That is a bloody bargain!
Only crap thing about the PS3 version of Arkham Asylum is it only runs in 720p. Can someone confirm if this is the case with the 360 version as well or can it run in 1080p?

Other PS3 exclusives I can't recommend enough are:

1. Uncharted
2. Little Big Planet
3. Killzone 2
4. Resistance (awesome co-op too, the sequel omits this feature and suffers for it - well, it actually does have a co-op mode but it's not the main campaign :/)
5. Flower (DLC)

I thought it was a good bargain too. Thanks for the Bat tips!

I have a question though, using TF ROTF as an example, the box says on the back that it plays at 720p, 1080i and 1080p. My telly handles all 3 fine, and the PS3 menu screen is running in 1080p, but when I whip up TF, it flicks back to 720. Anyone know whats up with that? The only way I have found to make the game play in 1080p is to tell the ps3 that my telly ONLY accepts 1080p.

I also have ghostbusters and that automatically runs in 1080p..... Its fun too.

I wanna check out that Flower game. Looks interesting. I also Dled a demo of Bionic Commando, which was the old NES gam with nicer graphics. Fun! Migh have to get that too! AAARrrgh its wii shop all over again..

Doubledealer
10th September 2009, 11:43 AM
I thought it was a good bargain too. Thanks for the Bat tips!

I have a question though, using TF ROTF as an example, the box says on the back that it plays at 720p, 1080i and 1080p. My telly handles all 3 fine, and the PS3 menu screen is running in 1080p, but when I whip up TF, it flicks back to 720. Anyone know whats up with that? The only way I have found to make the game play in 1080p is to tell the ps3 that my telly ONLY accepts 1080p.

I also have ghostbusters and that automatically runs in 1080p..... Its fun too.

I wanna check out that Flower game. Looks interesting. I also Dled a demo of Bionic Commando, which was the old NES gam with nicer graphics. Fun! Migh have to get that too! AAARrrgh its wii shop all over again..

Hmm, maybe it doesn't think bad games deserve to run in 1080p? :p Just kidding, that is a bit strange though, almost as if the box is telling porkies. I know I had to change a system setting to get the PS3 to unscale DVD's to 1080p but I'm not sure if this setting had anything to do with the games.

I have Bionic Commando, it controls very nicely on the PS3 and as you say is great fun (especially co-op). Keep an eye out for a DLC game called 'Trine' also, it's meant to be a modern take on Blizzards Lost Vikings game whereby you use 3 characters with different attributes to overcome adversaries/obstacles. Should be amazatron. :D

Fungal Infection
10th September 2009, 03:24 PM

Hit me up for a SF4 session!! So far no one on this forum has replied to any of my calls for challenges for both MVC2 and SF4!! :(

I also recommend NGS but a word of warning - it can get frustratingly hard!!

Kyle
10th September 2009, 03:37 PM
I'm looking forward to NGS2 for all the wrong reasons. :p

Doubledealer
10th September 2009, 04:34 PM

Atrocious camera angles? :p

Fungal Infection
10th September 2009, 08:37 PM

I assume this is what you're looking forward to:

Linky (http://playstation.joystiq.com/2009/09/09/ninja-gaiden-sigma-2-has-the-breast-use-of-sixaxis-ever/)

Tetsuwan Convoy
11th September 2009, 08:04 AM
I assume this is what you're looking forward to:

Linky (http://playstation.joystiq.com/2009/09/09/ninja-gaiden-sigma-2-has-the-breast-use-of-sixaxis-ever/)

Hmmm just gt interested in this game.....:D

Nt, I will "play" with kyle's methinks:o:rolleyes:

Nice to see someone using that option in an amusing method though, especially if its real....:D

Tetsuwan Convoy
18th September 2009, 04:08 AM

This is a great ad! Eeer, boob warning?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czFwddhsb-4

Paulbot
21st October 2009, 05:52 PM
A question to the PS3 owners: is Uncharted 2 the console's killer app (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killer_application)?

I keep seeing fantastic reviews for it, and from what I've seen and read I really want to play it (and Uncharted). Most other games I want to play are cross-console so don't help.

I also want to play MGS4 but the reviews are less glowing for that game.

llamatron
21st October 2009, 06:05 PM
Uncharted 2 is absolutely the killer app. Nothing else out there comes anywhere near close to what it achieves.

foor
23rd October 2009, 12:18 AM
I concur, Uncharted 2 is a MUST get for anyone with a PS3. It's highly recommended to play Uncharted 1 though, it only enhances the experience. Unless you solely want MP.

i_amtrunks
23rd October 2009, 08:57 AM
what about Ratchet and Clank? :p

RagingBull
23rd October 2009, 10:25 AM
iv had ps1 and ps2, but when i decided to step into the current gen, i looked at who had the better exclusives and xbox360 won out for me. pure and simple.
im a gears fan mostly because of it. its my fav game ever.

although i do wish uncharted was on xbox360, or better still, there were no such thing as exclusives, if that were the case i probably end up with a ps3 for the blue ray.

Doubledealer
23rd October 2009, 04:07 PM
Uncharted 2 is absolutely the killer app. Nothing else out there comes anywhere near close to what it achieves.

+10 billion. Best game I've played since Silent Hill 2. If you haven't played Uncharted 2 you haven't lived! :p

Tetsuwan Convoy
23rd October 2009, 08:31 PM
or better still, there were no such thing as exclusives, .
Reminds me of the days of the Commodore 64 (and to a lesser extent the early days of Megadrive). Games would come on on all formats catering to their various power levels....

+10 billion. Best game I've played since Silent Hill 2. If you haven't played Uncharted 2 you haven't lived! :p
Thats quite a call yer calling there my boy. I must admit that the stuff have heard makes me wanty wanty!

Sleeve
24th October 2009, 04:28 PM
I've been looking at trying it myself, but is it really necessary to play Uncharted 1 first to know the full story?

I've always liked knowing the full story (of books, movies, games) but having been out of serious PS gaming for a few years I've missed a lot of titles that are now on their fourth or higher installment, like Tekken, Devil May Cry and Metal Gear Solid (MGS 2 was such contrived crap I never bothered with 3).

llamatron
25th October 2009, 02:30 AM
You don't need to play Uncharted 1 to understand the sequel, the only advantage is having a better understanding of the characters but nothing important plotwise. Still it's worth playing through the first as it's a great game that can be found for cheap ($30 or less 2nd hand or $50 new).

Paulbot
29th October 2009, 04:07 PM
Does the size of the PS3 hard drive matter? Is it used much? Is it worth an extra $100 for the larger hard drive.

Gutsman Heavy
29th October 2009, 04:19 PM
Alot of PS3 games now use mandatory partial installs. I've only a 20gig and I worry about running out of space now :(

llamatron
29th October 2009, 06:08 PM
Does the size of the PS3 hard drive matter? Is it used much? Is it worth an extra $100 for the larger hard drive.

I've got a 120 GB and I can't see myself ever needing more space.

Note that on the older models (i.e. before the slim) it is apparently very easy to crack it open and put in a bigger HD - they're just standard drives. I don't know if this is still possible with the Slim though.

The_Damned
30th October 2009, 04:35 PM
sold my 360 and bought a ps3 slim 120g

Paulbot
30th October 2009, 04:54 PM
sold my 360 and bought a ps3 slim 120g

What made you make the switch?

kurdt_the_goat
30th October 2009, 06:03 PM
Paulbot.. have you still not decided? Why not just get one now and then another later on... I usually end up with all the machines by the end of the generation.
I got a 360 instead of a PS3 for Street Fighter 4 earlier this year - based soley on price. Nothing to say i can't get a PS3 later on, and it'll be even cheaper when i decide to. It's not a bad way of doing it, since you can still find the popular games years later and unlike TFs, they're usually cheaper!

Paulbot
30th October 2009, 09:28 PM
I'm only going to get one and yeah I still can't decide. I was thinking Xbox but the price drop on the PS3 and the exclusives it has have changed my mind. I think it will be an Xmas present to myself when there should be good deals.

kurdt_the_goat
30th October 2009, 11:10 PM
What about the Bravia TV = free PS3 deal at the moment? I'm hoping they repeat that one this time next year when i move into my house!

Paulbot
30th October 2009, 11:23 PM
What about the Bravia TV = free PS3 deal at the moment? I'm hoping they repeat that one this time next year when i move into my house!

I'd consider that if I was moving into my house, but not just yet.

Golden Phoenix
31st October 2009, 12:19 PM
I'd consider that if I was moving into my house, but not just yet.

I'll look after the TV for you if you'd like

Sleeve
31st October 2009, 02:10 PM

I've had a 120Gb since it came out and until the other day I hadn't put a single photo, song or video on it. Since my roommate shagged my laptop however I've been using the PS3 to watch all my tv show video files. Fantastic. Only if you're doing something similar will you fill the hard drive, and even then I delete stuff off it I've watched and swap for other files.

The only reason I'll ever fill it is when Sony finally release PlayTV in Australia so I can use my PS3 as a personal video recorder, but again I'll most likely delete files after I've watched them.

Doubledealer
31st October 2009, 02:46 PM

I'm sure they will at some point, I got my PS3-phat free with the purchase of an X-Series Bravia back in the day.

The_Damned
31st October 2009, 07:58 PM
What made you make the switch?

well there are a couple of things that have been annoying me about the xbox, dont get me wrong for playing games there is no difference. BUT i will list the things that made me sell my xbox and purchase a ps3.

*The xbox doesnt play BRRip H264 AAC files(MP4)
*you cant copy media to the hard drive
*doesnt have a web Browser
*couldnt get the xbox to stream media from my pc

after using the playstation for a couple of days i find i like the interface better.

Autocon
1st November 2009, 02:34 AM
probably going to buy PS3 for bluray so i can watch TF bluray:o

now wait for sale prices for xmas:D

Tetsuwan Convoy
1st November 2009, 08:12 PM
I've got a 120 GB and I can't see myself ever needing more space.

Note that on the older models (i.e. before the slim) it is apparently very easy to crack it open and put in a bigger HD - they're just standard drives. I don't know if this is still possible with the Slim though.
You can still change drives. Its in an easier to get to place for this reason too. Instructions tell you how to do it as well.

120gig should be enough IMO. I had a mates 40 gig one and it was annoying having ot delete installs to fit more stff on all the time...

Paulbot.. have you still not decided? Why not just get one now and then another later on... I usually end up with all the machines by the end of the generation.
I got a 360 instead of a PS3 for Street Fighter 4 earlier this year - based soley on price. Nothing to say i can't get a PS3 later on, and it'll be even cheaper when i decide to. It's not a bad way of doing it, since you can still find the popular games years later and unlike TFs, they're usually cheaper!
Super Street fighter IV (http://www.fightersgeneration.com/main.htm)coming soon as well. Not an add-on, have to buy the whole game again, although at a cheaper price... Apparenlty has a special something for those who have original and Super.

Sleeve
2nd November 2009, 11:56 AM
probably going to buy PS3 for bluray so i can watch TF bluray:o

now wait for sale prices for xmas:D

Transformers will be the first Blu-Ray I buy, I've just been holding off because it's $40 and I'm expecting the price to drop when RotF comes out this week.

Paulbot
2nd November 2009, 01:24 PM
So many bits of advice to take in, thanks all.

I'd be waiting for Super Street Fighter IV instead of purchasing SFIV (and that's one advantage of waiting).

griffin
2nd November 2009, 02:00 PM
This is a link (http://promotion.sony.com.au/BraviaPS3ConsumerPromotion/?referer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com.au%2Fsearch%3 Fhl%3Den)to the bravia/ps3 offer.
It started October 22nd, and there are about 15,000 left to claim (from 25,000).
The promo requires you to do a few important things to qualify, but if eligible, you also get a 3 year warranty on the (expensive) TV.

And an interesting promo clip for it:
http://mashable.com/2009/10/21/sony-bravia-ps3-crash-video/

G1Optimal
5th November 2009, 08:11 PM

The only reason I'll ever fill it is when Sony finally release PlayTV in Australia so I can use my PS3 as a personal video recorder, but again I'll most likely delete files after I've watched them.

in case you didn't know...:o
Play TV is apparently coming out on the 26th of this month for $169.95

http://au.playstation.com/ps3/news/articles/detail/item242941/PlayTV%E2%84%A2-to-launch-in-Australia/

JuzMel
6th November 2009, 01:55 PM
Let's just say after we sold our xbox 360 and got a PS3, we're not looking back ever since... love the easier to navigate interface and also the blu-ray!

Haven't got round much to uploading photos or music but am sure looking forward to Play TV.

Btw does anyone know of any good co-op games for the PS3?

1orion2many
6th November 2009, 04:04 PM
:confused:I have no interest in anything the damned mention and even less interest in Blu-Ray with the over priced discs. I can handle the crappy DVD I have and the 360 has the games I'm interested at this point in time. Just like the old Beta tapes I thought HD-DVD was better than Blu-Ray because quality wise it was the equivalent I believe but the discs could be made cheaper, why they didn't use this to their advantage I'll never know:confused:. I don't have any favs when it comes to consoles as my personal favorite was wiped out a while ago(I miss SEGA:() and Nintendo has severly dropped off as a contender(can't stand their control system:rolleyes:). I guess I'll eventually be forced to buy Blu-Ray by industry not releasing on normal DVD, when this happens it'll be a stand alone player and not the PS3(sorry Sony just irks me for some unknown reason:o).

Gutsman Heavy
6th November 2009, 04:31 PM
I wouldn't worry much, DVDs death is a looooong way off.

Doubledealer
6th November 2009, 04:56 PM
Let's just say after we sold our xbox 360 and got a PS3, we're not looking back ever since... love the easier to navigate interface and also the blu-ray!

Haven't got round much to uploading photos or music but am sure looking forward to Play TV.

Btw does anyone know of any good co-op games for the PS3?

Good co-op? My vote goes to Resistance 1 (it's one of the few games I can get my g/f to play other than the Uncharted games!). Excellent split-screen fun. :)

Oh and Little Big Planet is brilliant for co-op also!

Autocon
7th November 2009, 03:36 AM
:confused:I have no interest in anything the damned mention and even less interest in Blu-Ray with the over priced discs. I can handle the crappy DVD I have and the 360 has the games I'm interested at this point in time. Just like the old Beta tapes I thought HD-DVD was better than Blu-Ray because quality wise it was the equivalent I believe but the discs could be made cheaper, why they didn't use this to their advantage I'll never know:confused:. I don't have any favs when it comes to consoles as my personal favorite was wiped out a while ago(I miss SEGA:() and Nintendo has severly dropped off as a contender(can't stand their control system:rolleyes:). I guess I'll eventually be forced to buy Blu-Ray by industry not releasing on normal DVD, when this happens it'll be a stand alone player and not the PS3(sorry Sony just irks me for some unknown reason:o).

just wait a few years and get a blu ray recorder when they become cheaper

Sleeve
9th November 2009, 01:26 PM
in case you didn't know...:o
Play TV is apparently coming out on the 26th of this month for $169.95

http://au.playstation.com/ps3/news/articles/detail/item242941/PlayTV%E2%84%A2-to-launch-in-Australia/

About time. A lot cheaper than the initial $250 they were thinking of charging too.

The Sony rep was in here at work only a week ago and she didn't have a clue when it was coming. Then again she didn't know the 250Gb was coming out until the day after we'd already received them into stock. :p

Cheers for that!

Paulbot
9th November 2009, 01:47 PM
Play TV...

Ok I think that's the final nail in the coffin for Xbox for me. Hopefully there'll be a good PS3/PlayTV bundle in the post XMas sales.

Autocon
9th November 2009, 10:12 PM
whats the biggest hard drive you can buy for PS3?

G1Optimal
10th November 2009, 12:16 AM
from what i have read internal wise a 2.5 inch 500Gb HDD... :)

also, have read it is highly recommended that the read speed is 5400rpm "not 7200rpm" for some reason.:confused:

Autocon
10th November 2009, 01:32 AM
from what i have read internal wise a 2.5 inch 500Gb HDD... :)

also, have read it is highly recommended that the read speed is 5400rpm "not 7200rpm" for some reason.:confused:

how do you know what speed it is?:confused:

G1Optimal
10th November 2009, 12:29 PM
how do you know what speed it is?:confused:

I think it should be on the Hard Drive somewhere ...:confused:

Though personally when i buy a Hard drive i make sure to mention the Brand/Connection Type/Speed/Size.;)

anyway these may help from the Playstation Australia & New Zealand Forums (http://community.eu.playstation.com/playstationeu/?category.id=cANZ) Technical Support, Help & Advice section

hdd replacement (http://community.eu.playstation.com/playstationeu/board/message?board.id=bANZ_announcements_help&thread.id=8755)
Can I run 2.5" HDD 7200rpm on PS3 Fat/Slim? (http://community.eu.playstation.com/playstationeu/board/message?board.id=bANZ_PS3_GettingOnline&thread.id=3717)
Replacement HDD Maximum Capacity? (http://community.eu.playstation.com/playstationeu/board/message?board.id=bANZ_PS3_GettingOnline&thread.id=2781)
"there maybe more"

note: Use you PSN login Details if you want log into these forums

sifun
13th November 2009, 05:34 PM
I have a 7200rpm, and it runs fine. I don't know where you got this recommended thing for 5200rpm

G1Optimal
14th November 2009, 08:23 PM
I have a 7200rpm, and it runs fine. I don't know where you got this recommended thing for 5200rpm

From one of the topics in that Aus/NZ Offficial Playstation Forums i linked to in my previous post.

According to one of the posts there (can't find it again:o) it suggests...
Yes, you can put a 7200rpm Hdd in there "but also according to this thread/post" Sony dose not recommend it due to the possibility of causing heat issues due to the faster rotation speeds.

although i don't know much about this stuff:), i thought "i" would mention this just in case it is true.;)

1orion2many
28th June 2011, 08:43 PM
Well my new Xbox360 has gone cactus, They are sending a replacement after looking at it(guess it's another inbuilt fault). A friend of my wife has had her sons crap itself as well, these are both the new slim black ones, mine stopped being able to read discs even though it fired up alright. Good to see they have improved their quality as at least they keep running lol:D

bowspearer
29th June 2011, 08:48 AM
Just found this thread.

For me it's not just about what I'd recommend people to get but what I'd recommend them to avoid.

To give you an idea of my console history, I started out with a Sega Master System 1, which was soon after complemented by an Amstrad 6128 (best of the pre-DOS computers hands down!). A while later,, I picked up a Sega Megadrive, which was followed by an N64 (something which seemed unthinkable in terms of brand loyalty at the time), a Gamecube, then a Wii, which was complemented by a PS3 for the space of about 6 weeks, before after an uphill battle, I was able to return it.

I haven't played a 360, but the controller of the X-Box (specifically the black and white buttons- I played a store demo involving Spider Man, where those 2 buttons were crucial when I was deciding between it and a Gamecube at the time) turned me off playing it and by then I was entrenched in the Gamecube and Wii. That said the Kinect has me seriously considering a 360.

For me, recommending the Wii is a no-brainer. Sure the graphics aren't that great, but in terms of gameplay, it's still brilliant. Add to that the VC and different control option, as well as games like Monster Hunter Tri to complement the likes of Metroid and Zelda and you wind up with a console that pretty much does it all but HD graphics and blu-ray playback.

Sadly I would have to recommend people AVOID the PS3.

In about early February last year, my girlfriend and I decided to upgrade her TV setup and bought a 104cm LED TV and high spec'd surround sound system to go with it. Suddenly I was thinking High-Def consoles, and considering that the vast bulk of Gundam games were on PS3 (a whopping 3 games heh) we put one down on layby at EB planning on picking it up in a week.

In that time, we learned that the Phat could still do Linux, and so after EB wouldn't come to the party, we cancelled the Layby and got a 80Gig Phat from GAME on March 4th last year after Sony had assured me 2 days prior over the phone, that a Phat would run Linux- meaning that our media PC issue was also solved. And for a time it was great, with the graphics looking amazing on the TV and Gundam Dynasty Wars being constantly played.

Then April 1st ticked over. With it being the Easter long weekend, I'd been offline for about 4 days, not giving the PS3 a second thought. It was the 6th when I was looking at IGN I think and there was a story about the firmware upgrade. Sony were giving me the finger and GAME were refusing to let me return the machine because technically there was nothing wrong with it. It wasn't until I was in another GAME store and mentioned it to the manager who was leaving his job anyway, that I was actually able to return it.

The whole experience showed me that when there's a problem, Sony will stick customers the finger unless they have no way of getting out of it, and will steal from their customers if it suits them.

That was my only experience owning a Sony console, and I will never buy another Sony gaming console ever again.

As a side note, I would also warn people to steer clear of getting anything whatsoever from GAME as they proved themselves to have very similar ethics n terms of their dealings with me in this situation- especially if you're dealing with their Queanbeyan store.

Doubledealer
29th June 2011, 01:31 PM
They're all great for their own reasons, but here are my preferences:

Numero Uno - Xbox 360

1. Overall game selection
2. Favourite controller
3. Excellent graphical user interface which is positively leagues ahead of the terrible PS3 Interface(palm)
4. Achievements
5. Terrific sense of community/easy to see what friends are doing/playing/how they're progressing

Numero Duo - PS3

1. Demon's Souls
2. Uncharted series
3. Blu-Ray
4. Awesome media streamer, better than the Xbox 360 in this regard esp. with music
5. Sometimes offers uncompressed audio eg Uncharted 2

Numero Trio (?) - Wii

Waggle is good? :p

LordCyrusOmega
29th June 2011, 07:24 PM
For me it's PS3 all the way. The only problems I've encounterred with it is:
It sometimes crashes, usually while playing Fallout 3.
No television reception when it's turned on
The fuse box to my apartment complex caught fire the first time I turned it on.

Other then that no problems.
I've played the Xbox and it just isn't for me, not sure why and the Wii just isn't my thing either though there are quite a few games I would like for it.

PS3 also plays Blu-ray so I don't have to get one

Tetsuwan Convoy
29th June 2011, 08:09 PM
The fuse box to my apartment complex caught fire the first time I turned it on.

LOL WHAT?? I'd be more concerned about the apartments wiring. Ha ha ha! funny though!

Numero Trio (?) - Wii

Waggle is good? :p
Some are interesting, but I just wish that they would allow the option of playing the game non-waggle.

For me, the wii is the worst of the selection. It's been spammed with rubbish games and the only good ones are ones made by Nintendo. Too many frikkin ciontrollers to use. That was my immediate dislike of the WiiU.

PS3 is number one for games that I like and controller shape.

Haven't really played much of the xbox, so can't comment.

Hursticon
29th June 2011, 08:23 PM
This argument is easily solved: The best is PC as it's superior in every way and it is the system that is used to design and build consoles. ;):cool:

Check and Mate. :p:D

bowspearer
29th June 2011, 09:30 PM
For me, the wii is the worst of the selection. It's been spammed with rubbish games and the only good ones are ones made by Nintendo.

3 words: Monster Hunter Tri ;)

Tetsuwan Convoy
29th June 2011, 10:47 PM
3 words: Monster Hunter Tri ;)

With no net speak, unless you get a wii speak? (Yet ANOTHER add-on). Pass.

Plus Monster Hunter doesn't really do it for me. I'll stick with my Ps3 using my wii for those times of Tatsunoko Vs Capcom.;) And Mario. Oh and Emulation as well. It has a great C64 Emulator on it:p

Mr Ed
30th June 2011, 06:43 PM
I've got all 3 platforms.

Prefer Xbox 360. Xbox has a decent controlling, not like the PS3's kiddie controller.

When Kinect came out, I bought myself a new Xbox Slim and so far so its been good.

I've had 2 Xbox's suffer RROD but that hasnt deterred me.

Hursticon
1st July 2011, 11:22 AM
Prefer Xbox 360. Xbox has a decent controlling, not like the PS3's kiddie controller.

Just out of curiosity, what makes Sony's controller 'Kiddie' to you dude? :confused:

My own preferences lie with devices that work the 1st time and who's design/production isn't rushed for increased market share, but also those who's sales are purely reliant on a single franchise. ;)

Gutsman Heavy
1st July 2011, 03:24 PM
My own preferences lie with devices that work the 1st time and who's design/production isn't rushed for increased market share, but also those who's sales are purely reliant on a single franchise. ;)

...Nintendo?

Hursticon
1st July 2011, 03:36 PM
...Nintendo?

That's one of them. :D

1orion2many
13th July 2011, 02:50 PM
This argument is easily solved: The best is PC as it's superior in every way and it is the system that is used to design and build consoles. ;):cool:

Check and Mate. :p:D

And what's the price of a good computer compared to a console, Not to mention issues you can have when loading the game on as it doesn't always work which can be a real pain when all you want to do is get going on it. What's the library comparison of console games compared to pc's, so far it looks like consoles are ahead. I might add most of my game time is spent on 1 game only on my PC, Yes the life draining WOW:o

Fonecrusher
14th July 2011, 11:38 AM
PS3 for me, has the most games I like, online is free, built in Blu-Ray and a nice simple to use interface.

Games like Halo and Gears of War really don't do anything for me, and frankly I cannot stand Microsoft as a company.

tron07
15th July 2011, 08:55 AM
bought a chipped wii like 3 years plus ago cause games are like free...then 2 years ago got my free PS3 from Sony, bought a TV and free PS3. Havent really touch the Wii since then. Wii is fun if you have kids or friends dropping by for some party games, easy to pick up and funny to play.

loophole
15th July 2011, 08:52 PM
i would love a PS3 with XBOX controllers they are so much better

Gutsman Heavy
15th July 2011, 09:10 PM
i would love a PS3 with XBOX controllers they are so much better

dude, just get an xbox :P

Doubledealer
16th July 2011, 02:10 AM
On a slightly related note, I just recently replaced my mobo, cpu and ram and have entered the wonderful world of sandy bridge in preparation for the new Deus Ex. Next purchase, an EVGA GTX 570 graphics card. Oh the latter half of this year is gonna be real gooood. :D

Dkaris
16th July 2011, 05:46 AM
The problem with consoles is you cant upgrade the hardware as easily as a PC (no im not talking about hard drive capacity.)

Take the up coming EA title Battlefield 3 for example, On pc it supports up to 64 player, consoles are limited to 32 player. I dunno about you guys but i cant think of anything more fun than playing huge maps against as many people as possible. Also Battlefield 3 on console is limited to 30 FPS..... most current games run at 60. on pc its normally much higher. If this games FPS is being cut to 30 on console, then what can we expect from future releases?

I think its fair to say that companies like Sony and Microsoft need to start thinking about how they can adapt hardware upgrades for their next gen consoles if they really want to compete with PC rigs.

loophole
16th July 2011, 08:03 AM
dude, just get an xbox :P

no!! besides my brother has an xbox anyway :D

kaiden
16th July 2011, 10:43 AM
no!! besides my brother has an xbox anyway :D

you know... you can get an adapter to use a 360 controller on ps3 and vice versa.

http://www.xcm.cc/xcm_cross_battle_adapter.htm

everyone who likes casual gaming or has kids should have a wii by now with the price drop to $199rrp and a few places had it on sale for $149 during the mid year sale.

Doubledealer
16th July 2011, 11:26 AM
The problem with consoles is you cant upgrade the hardware as easily as a PC (no im not talking about hard drive capacity.)

Take the up coming EA title Battlefield 3 for example, On pc it supports up to 64 player, consoles are limited to 32 player. I dunno about you guys but i cant think of anything more fun than playing huge maps against as many people as possible. Also Battlefield 3 on console is limited to 30 FPS..... most current games run at 60. on pc its normally much higher. If this games FPS is being cut to 30 on console, then what can we expect from future releases?

I think its fair to say that companies like Sony and Microsoft need to start thinking about how they can adapt hardware upgrades for their next gen consoles if they really want to compete with PC rigs.

Not sure what MS are doing but I know the Sony PS4 is in development right now. :D

tron07
18th July 2011, 03:17 PM

I get sick playing FPS (first person shooter) games so it doesnt bother me... :p

Deonasis
18th July 2011, 10:09 PM

My story is I was a PC gamer but got tired of upgrading hardware, drivers, tweaking the game options, etc.. Now I am a mindless console-er using everything but the same internet connection as my opponents.

kurdt_the_goat
18th July 2011, 10:38 PM

Why now? The situation has been as you describe since forever. Consoles exist because they have games you can't get on PC as well as games you can.

Gutsman Heavy
18th July 2011, 10:53 PM
The pc games market is chump change compared to consoles these days.

SkyWarp91
18th July 2011, 11:11 PM
PC is the best!!! trolol

I don't care about console games nowadays, I only play Counter-Strike: Source oh yeah oh yeah!!!!

Fonecrusher
19th July 2011, 12:42 AM
I've actually been getting back into a lot of PC gaming lately, mostly thanks to the Witcher, Dawn of War and Starcraft 2. Pity Diablo 3 is still a way off!

yoshi594
19th July 2011, 01:32 AM
I'd recommend the PS3. But i'm biased towards the playstation as i own a ps1, ps2, and ps3.

The PS3 has a great range of exclusive titles:

3rd person shooters (uncharted series, Metal Gear Solid 4)
FPS (Killzone and Resistance series)
Interactive story/drama? (Heavy Rain)
Racing (GT5, Modnation Racers, Wipeout HD Fury)
Sandbox open world game GTA/RDR like games (Infamous series, Yakuza series)
Platformer (Ratchet and Clank series)
Customizable platformer? (Little big planet series)
RPG (Disgaea series, White Knight Chronciles Series, Demon Souls)

There's probably even more that could have been added to the list.
Also Sony has injected 20 million or so dollars into exclusive Playstation network titles. So there's more I could add to that list.

On another note, some xbox exclusives make their way to the PC (Gears of war, halo series, Fable series, and more).

Wii and PSMove are pretty much the same...cept PSMove lacks mario, zelda, and metroid prime!

Kinect...meh that's all i can say to that :)

So getting a combo of PS3 + PC will ensure that you don't miss out on great exclusives...even if they take a long time to make it to PC.

jena
11th September 2011, 09:15 AM
I put a 160gb PS3 on layby for $289 yesterday. I was going to just buy it but I decided to layby it so I could think about it. I had a PSone, a PS2 so I thought it was about time I got a PS3. I have a Wii which I enjoy but I miss the games that don't ever make it to Wii, like LA Noire.

Will I love the PS3 as much as I love my Wii?

Gutsman Heavy
11th September 2011, 11:54 AM
probably more if you enjoy "traditional games"

jena
11th September 2011, 02:37 PM
I want all the good racing games that either suck or don't exist on Wii.

Mr Ed
11th September 2011, 03:01 PM
I own all 3 platforms and the Xbox is my favourite.

I got Kinect and it makes it more fun.

Wii is OK but the graphics are very poor.

Paulbot
11th September 2011, 03:29 PM
As the price keeps dropping I tempted to get a Wii just to play Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 and Donkey Kong Country Returns. But I've been very happy with my decision to get a PS3 over an Xbox.

Gutsman Heavy
11th September 2011, 09:31 PM
When it comes to 360/PS3, go with what ever one has the most exclusives you want, or get both!

Autocon
12th September 2011, 08:58 PM
Though about laybying a wii or ps3 but then the new ones will come out lol

Gutsman Heavy
12th September 2011, 10:10 PM
Yeah Wii U next year. PS4 is probably a while off.

Paulbot
25th September 2011, 12:54 PM
What's the Wii like for region coding? Can you import games easily for it?

Just saw an unconfirmed but cheap sale price on the console which has tempted to buy one, but I'm trying to track down the games I want (Mario Galaxy 1 & 2, New Mario Bros, DK Returns) cheaply too.

Tetsuwan Convoy
25th September 2011, 01:44 PM
What's the Wii like for region coding? Can you import games easily for it?

Just saw an unconfirmed but cheap sale price on the console which has tempted to buy one, but I'm trying to track down the games I want (Mario Galaxy 1 & 2, New Mario Bros, DK Returns) cheaply too.

Its region coded, PAl etc. But Can be hacked relatively easy and through the use of an 'app' type application will allow different region games.

Paulbot
26th September 2011, 11:24 PM
So there's region coding plus PAL formats? Or is it that as long as it's PAL it would play?

The $150 (for console with Mario Kart) sale price (Dick Smith) is confirmed and I'm looking to be talked out of it. :o I doubt it could get any cheaper.

kurdt_the_goat
26th September 2011, 11:33 PM
If you buy an AU machine it'll play AU or EU games which are in the PAL format. US and JP games are in NTSC and won't play.

As Tetsuwan said, there are means of hacking the system to play all regions though.
However, i'd do some research first on (gbatemp forums (http://gbatemp.net/i-idx)), since newer models might be less hackable than older systems. It's tough to keep up since the 'scene' moves so quick!