PDA

View Full Version : MP sealed or unsealed? What's your opinion?

theheretic
1st June 2011, 01:06 PM
What's everyone's opinion on keeping your Hasbro or Takara MasterPieces MISB or opened and (carefully) played with/transformed?

I've only got a few MP's but I'm unsure what to do. I've opened my Hasbro Skywarp and was very impressed with him. Fantastic engineering in my opinion and is just amazing even though it takes me 15minutes to transform him. And I picked him to open because I can easily get another MISB from my local store and he was my first MP. However I have Hasbro Grimlock and Starscream still sealed and also 20th anniversary Prime MP sealed (The 2004 one) MISB. I really want to get them all out and pose the s%#^ out of them BUT I'm a bit of a MISB/MOSC kinda guy....

What's everyone else's thoughts/opinions?

Hursticon
1st June 2011, 01:15 PM
Of the 5 that I own, 5 are open and 4 are posed and on display. :D
If you're a MISB kinda guy though, I'd say keep them that way or if you can afford to do so - Buy a second of each. :o

theheretic
1st June 2011, 01:22 PM
Of the 5 that I own, 5 are open and 4 are posed and on display. :D
If you're a MISB kinda guy though, I'd say keep them that way or if you can afford to do so - Buy a second of each. :o

Unfortunately I can't afford to :-( But I am thinking I'll keep my 20th anni prime and get a cheaper DVD anni prime and open him along with the rest of my MP's

Hursticon
1st June 2011, 01:30 PM
Unfortunately I can't afford to :-( But I am thinking I'll keep my 20th anni prime and get a cheaper DVD anni prime and open him along with the rest of my MP's

Then that sounds like a plan dude :cool:, just count yourself lucky that you're not having to ask yourself this question with an MP-04 in mind. :p

Sharky
1st June 2011, 01:34 PM
i have a few in various conditions

MP prime is open
MP Megatron is sealed and locked away in a secret location
MP Prime with trailer is MISB
Hasbro Skywarp is MISB
MP Starscream MISB
Hasbro Starscream is open
MP Grimlock open
MP Rodimus MISB

i guess it all depends on what you like in the end. you shouldnt really let anyone dictate or suggest how you should collect items for your enjoyment

in most cases i beleive that my MP's should be opened and displayed nicely behind glass...and when i have the room and the resources to do it i will be opening the sealed ones...

LordCyrusOmega
1st June 2011, 01:51 PM
Of the 7 MP's I own 6 are on display and all are played with on occasion.
Let them free unless the law stipulates otherwise

AussieJason
1st June 2011, 02:00 PM
My MP's are opened except MP Megatron, I decided to keep this one MISB.

I don't have MP Rodimus yet, but would most likely open it as well.

SkyWarp91
1st June 2011, 02:20 PM
I'm a MIB collector, so all my toys are played with as well but I do still keep the boxes!

5FDP
1st June 2011, 02:25 PM
Most people here would guess that my automatic response would be to keep them sealed (being a primarily MISB collector), but in the case of MP toys I have made somewhat of an exception.

The only ones I have MISB are 20th anniversary Prime and Skywarp. Grimlock I opened mainly because he looks better in bot mode and it was a space decision as well; MP Megs and Ultra Magnus I opened because Takara neglected to add a window to their boxes :rolleyes:

In summary and to hopefully give you some guidance, my decision to open some of my MP toys was based on display value and / or whether or not I had the space. Just make sure you're comfortable with the decision you make because once you break that seal, there's no going back :)

theheretic
1st June 2011, 02:46 PM
Thanks guys. Very helpful. Decision is to wait until I have a nice glass display case and then crack those boys open, with the exception of 20th prime which I will try to get a cheap mp prime from somewhere to have on display. I just feel like all that great toy is wasted being stuck in a box. I'm looking forward to Hasbro Rodimus too. I'm only getting te Hasbro stuff... as I don't read or speak Japanese. LOL. That and they tend to be a bit more pricey

1orion2many
1st June 2011, 03:15 PM
My MP's sitting at about 50/50 opened to sealed, all will be opened and displayed but at the moment I'm re-organising my mess so I can finish painting the walls in my TF room so I can hang some pictures and finish setting up my higildy pigildy display cases/bookcases:o:D

Shirokaze
1st June 2011, 03:30 PM
Like my entire collection, the MPs are open. Not displaying Starscream at the moment though.

theheretic
1st June 2011, 03:54 PM
Like my entire collection, the MPs are open. Not displaying Starscream at the moment though.

Was he naughty and is now being disciplined?

GoktimusPrime
1st June 2011, 04:06 PM
Open them for sure. What's the point of spending all your money on these highly articulated detailed toys if you're not going to play around with them? If you want something just to look at but not to play with, then collect statues and busts. They'd probably look better too cos they don't have seams etc. and they can have perfectly cartoon-like sculpts since they are confined by the restraints of having to move and transform.

And if you have any Japanese MPs, open them for sure... since there's no windows on the boxes I really don't see the point of keeping them sealed (otherwise all you have is a weighted box!) :)

I just feel like all that great toy is wasted being stuck in a box.
I think that answers your question :)

I'm looking forward to Hasbro Rodimus too. I'm only getting te Hasbro stuff... as I don't read or speak Japanese. LOL. That and they tend to be a bit more pricey
Yeah, fair enough. TOMY's RRPs for MP Thundercracker, Grimlock and Rodimus Convoy were all pretty steep IMO. However the initial RRP for MP Grimlock here was also pricey too. Gah. So they're pricey everywhere - just get whichever version is easier for you... and for me, it's Hasbro too. :)

IMO the only Japanese version I'd absolutely recommend is Convoy, cos he has the full lengthed smoke stacks, whereas Hasbro's Optimus Prime's are shortened. Although Australia did receive Japanese MP Convoy w/ trailer as a Target exclusive (:D), and we got MP Ultra Magnus similarly too (and for just $80!). The Hasbro version of Starscream is better than Takara's, although there is a Japanese "USA Edition" which is arguably nicer, but the differences are minor and not worth the cost.

Unfortunately ownership of MP Megatron is still illegal in Victoria. :( :mad: There have been efforts made to legalise it, but yeah... still a work in progress. :(

lawl :D

liegeprime
1st June 2011, 04:23 PM
A;; my MPs are free and open. Some here has kept Megs of course locked up (keeps him more eeeeviiiiil:eek::D:D:p). Seriously though, it all depends on your taste. As youve said, keeping these great toys sealed seems rather moot. BUt yeah if you could get glass cases that'll make displaying them even nicer and plus you can change the poses every now and then unlike statues which are stuck in one pose for the rest of eternity ( until they break:eek:). MPs IMO are greatly detailed and articulated BUT NOT the best to PLAY with ( looks in the direction of Megsy and Greenscream. Only some do actually seem ok to play with - MP grimlock comes to mind. Some are just meh( MP Rodimus P). But if your keen on just displaying them and every now and then have a fiddle then by all means open, and have the box displayed at the background too ( if it'll fit)

Prowl
1st June 2011, 09:32 PM
I am of the unwavering opinion that toys should be set free from their paper & plastic prison cell.

Do it no hesitation no regrets just do it.

GoktimusPrime
1st June 2011, 11:42 PM
I am of the unwavering opinion that toys should be set free from their paper & plastic prison cell.

Do it no hesitation no regrets just do it.
+∞ :)
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/avatars/gif_g1-cliffjumperdance.gifhttp://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/avatars/jaam_yum.gifhttp://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/avatars/gif_g1-bumblebeedance.gifhttp://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/avatars/gif_movie-bumblebeedance.gif

I must confess that there's a certain satisfaction in reading this on International Children's Day too. :D

k.wong23
1st June 2011, 11:49 PM
OMG OPEN THEM ALL NOW

Sky Shadow
2nd June 2011, 08:55 AM
Open Grimlock; he's amazing. Do what you want with Hasbro Starscream - it's a good-looking toy, but you already have the mould open in Skywarp. And throw Optimus in the bin.

theheretic
2nd June 2011, 12:02 PM
Open Grimlock; he's amazing. Do what you want with Hasbro Starscream - it's a good-looking toy, but you already have the mould open in Skywarp. And throw Optimus in the bin.

:-O In the bin?

Shirokaze
2nd June 2011, 12:15 PM

As a first run MP Screamer, he was born a different colour than what is socially acceptable so now I'm excluding him from playing with the other chilren :p

LordCyrusOmega
2nd June 2011, 12:17 PM
Takara has techspecs, booklet and card so I try to buy them. I'll get hasbro and Takara Rodimus, Hasbro can be Hot Rod and Takara can be Rodimus.
Open them, set them free. How would you like to be locked up all the time?

Doubledealer
2nd June 2011, 02:46 PM
Don't see the point in owning the Takara MP's if they're kept MISB as you can't actually see the product. That's a lot of money to spend just to look at a cardboard box!

On the other hand the Hasbro MP packaging is complete and utter @$$ so I ripped em outta that quicker than a Hannibal Lecter disembowelment.

GoktimusPrime
2nd June 2011, 03:37 PM
Takara has techspecs, booklet and card so I try to buy them.
Yeah, but for this is a non-issue for theheretic since...

I'm only getting te Hasbro stuff... as I don't read or speak Japanese.
I can't blame him for not wanting to pay extra to import toys for bonus material printed in a language he can't read. :) I speak Japanese fluently, and I didn't bother importing MP Grimlock and Rodimus Convoy! :p I went with Hasbro Grimmie, and I'll do the same with Roddie. ;)

Open them, set them free. How would you like to be locked up all the time?
+1 :D

"Freedom is the right of all articulated action figures."

SharkyMcShark
2nd June 2011, 03:58 PM
I own one Takara MP which is open and played with regularly (Movie Starscream)

My Hasbro MPs were opened and played with before being set for display.

I bought a $100 + intricate figure, not a boxy paperweight.

theheretic
2nd June 2011, 09:03 PM
Grimlock broke free of his plastic bindings and has been rampaging all over the house.

He is amazing! I was impressed with skywarp but... well let me tell you what Grimlock said.

"Me Grimlock king! Me Grimlock make decepticon look like cheap toy with bashed brain"

So their you have it, straight from the horses...erm... dinobots mouth. Now I've gotta break out screamer so I can put Grimlock in a cool pose where he's destroying the two seekers. But thats another night

blackie
2nd June 2011, 09:11 PM
only mp i have sealed in hotrod, thats because i dont want him and wana sell it :P

theheretic
2nd June 2011, 09:35 PM
only mp i have sealed in hotrod, thats because i dont want him and wana sell it :P

Is it hot rod or rodimus (with trailer)? And how much?

GoktimusPrime
2nd June 2011, 10:22 PM
MP Rodimus can transform from Hot Rod to Rodimus Prime. The limbs elongate to make the robot taller, and the face can change to look older as Rodimus Prime. The robot itself transforms into Hot Rod's car mode which can plug into the trailer with a faux front to make him Rodimus Prime's truck mode.

So without the trailer, Hasbro's MP Rodimus can transform between Hot Rod and Rodimus Prime forms in robot mode, but only transforms to Hot Rod's vehicle mode.

SkyWarp91
2nd June 2011, 10:35 PM
MP Rodimus can transform from Hot Rod to Rodimus Prime. The limbs elongate to make the robot taller, and the face can change to look older as Rodimus Prime. The robot itself transforms into Hot Rod's car mode which can plug into the trailer with a faux front to make him Rodimus Prime's truck mode.

So without the trailer, Hasbro's MP Rodimus can transform between Hot Rod and Rodimus Prime forms in robot mode, but only transforms to Hot Rod's vehicle mode.

Basically Blackie has Hot Rodimus MP as the Hasbro Hot Rod has yet to be released