PDA

View Full Version : Internet Dilemma!

blackoptimus
20th June 2011, 06:34 PM
Hey guys, I've been having problems with my internet lately and is very frustrating when trying to surf the net or game on the PS3. During 12:00 A.M - 5:00 P.M I've been getting 5.6 mbps. But during the hours outside of that it can range from 1 mbps to 0.22 mbps. I'm not capped at all. I have 500gb's of download and I'm with TPG. I've tried an isolation test and I usually use an adsl 2+ filter and I use wireless. I've also tried plugging in the phone line from my router directly into the wall socket and no luck. Any ideas or suggestions would help thanks guys.

Dkaris
20th June 2011, 07:54 PM
I dont really have much helpful info as i dont know a lot about adsl connections. I was going to suggest checking you dont have any errors with your ports, but if your speed is ok between mid night and 5pm then i doubt ports would be the problem. Have you posted a thread or a reply over on the whirlpool forums? Those guys are usually pretty cluey on how to deal with these issues.

*edit

Just talked to a good friend of mine and hes suggested it could be a throttling issue. Throttling is a bit different to being capped. Its not unusual for an isp to "throttle" your speed during on peak hours to keep bandwidth usage low. then unthrottle it for offpeak. Thats the best suggestion we came up with. It might be worth you while calling TPG and asking them if any other customers in your area have been receiving slow speeds during on peak.

**edit The only other thing we thought of (because we've done it ourselves) is try changing the ports you use and see if it makes a difference to your speeds.

blackoptimus
20th June 2011, 08:29 PM
Thanks dude, I'll definitely give this a try.

I dont really have much helpful info as i dont know a lot about adsl connections. I was going to suggest checking you dont have any errors with your ports, but if your speed is ok between mid night and 5pm then i doubt ports would be the problem. Have you posted a thread or a reply over on the whirlpool forums? Those guys are usually pretty cluey on how to deal with these issues.

*edit

Just talked to a good friend of mine and hes suggested it could be a throttling issue. Throttling is a bit different to being capped. Its not unusual for an isp to "throttle" your speed during on peak hours to keep bandwidth usage low. then unthrottle it for offpeak. Thats the best suggestion we came up with. It might be worth you while calling TPG and asking them if any other customers in your area have been receiving slow speeds during on peak.

**edit The only other thing we thought of (because we've done it ourselves) is try changing the ports you use and see if it makes a difference to your speeds.

tron07
21st June 2011, 11:54 AM
ADSL line with tpg is like 6:1 contention to 24:1 contention, meaning that the link is shared by at least 6 people and could go up to as many as 24 people. If no one is using then you can have the line all to yourself, going up to 5.6mbps. During peak hours while other people is also using, then the speed will drop cause its being used by others.

If you want a high speed to yourself all the time, get a business grade ADSL with 1:1 contention but you going to pay a whole lot more.

Try asking the TPG reps at whirlpool.
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum/90

Hursticon
21st June 2011, 12:04 PM
Welcome to Internet in Australia and Peak/Off Peak periods. :(
I myself am with TPG also, love 'em, but whilst I should be receiving 20Mbps - My best has been 7Mbps and the common average is 3-4Mbps. :rolleyes:

I know the many, many factors that contribute to those speeds and unfortunately, until we can get off of these archaic copper networks we'll essentially have to lump it. :o

My suggestion, as like Dkaris and Tron07, would be to contact TPG either directly by phone or via the Whirlpool forums. ;)

Skullcruncher
21st June 2011, 01:43 PM
Back in my day I remember sitting and waiting for a 3MB download to take 50 minutes or so...:rolleyes:

Accel
21st June 2011, 01:49 PM
Back in my day I remember sitting and waiting for a 3MB download to take 50 minutes or so...:rolleyes:

the good old days of leaving a computer on for 24 hours to get a 60mb download

Hursticon
21st June 2011, 01:57 PM

the good old days of leaving a computer on for 24 hours to get a 60mb download

Or a 120Mb Quake 1 total conversion. :p

Accel
21st June 2011, 02:32 PM
all I remember about Quake 1 multiplayer on a 56k was the lag symbol of the cable being pulled out in the corner CONSTANTLY lol

Hursticon
21st June 2011, 02:39 PM
all I remember about Quake 1 multiplayer on a 56k was the lag symbol of the cable being pulled out in the corner CONSTANTLY lol

Oh I hear that! :p
It sucked a lot, especially when playing my favourite Custom DM Map that consisted of an old church with a graveyard that had a whole subterranean catacomb system - It was a beautiful map for it's day. :cool:

tron07
22nd June 2011, 10:22 AM

And spliting a MP3 into a few 1.4mb disks to share among friends... :D

Hursticon
22nd June 2011, 05:44 PM
And spliting a MP3 into a few 1.4mb disks to share among friends... :D

Oh crap I remember doing that with Wrestling Entrance Themes and Wallpapers! :eek::p