PDA

View Full Version : eBay sellers can no longer leave negative feedback for buyers!

jaydisc
13th May 2008, 07:04 PM
Was given a dialog box at eBay today when I went to leave negative feedback for toys_magician:

Important changes to Feedback
Buyers, you can no longer receive negative or neutral Feedback from sellers.

You should leave honest and accurate Feedback without the fear of receiving negative or neutral ratings.

There is karma! :D :D :D

Borgeman
13th May 2008, 07:11 PM
O.......O
._____
/........\
|........|
|........|
\_____/

safe to say im shocked :P

George

Pulse
13th May 2008, 07:19 PM
But how are people like wheeljackslab supposed to criticise buyers now? :D

Ah, It's all good :)

Rampage
13th May 2008, 07:21 PM
sweet

been waiting 2 1/2 months for a reissue Skywarp from a guy in Canada

the idiot sent it sea mail if it ever gets here it'll more than likely be smashed to bits anyhow

looks like somebodys getting a negative:)

jaydisc
13th May 2008, 07:27 PM
It's pretty cool too as when you choose a really low star rating, it gives you a four or five multiple choice explanation for it, e.g. if you give one star for shipping costs, it offers:

* Was shipping more than what was listed
* Was shipping more than it would have cost
* Something else
* Something else

I'm impressed! eBay's finally done SOMETHING right!

1orion2many
13th May 2008, 07:32 PM
:confused:Unfortunately I'm sure there will be some buyers who abuse the system and when that starts happening ebay will be looking to make some more changes.:(

Borgeman
13th May 2008, 07:32 PM
that low star thing has been there for a while...

one thing though, what happens if a buyer is legitimately in the right?

Gutsman Heavy
13th May 2008, 07:51 PM
beware dodgy sellers!

but what about dodgy buyers?

Vector Sigma 13
13th May 2008, 09:31 PM
I bought an old soundwave off toys_magician and had no real issues. Can i ask what he did? I must mention he sent me a sheet of everything he had for sale and the prices were VERY high.

jaydisc
13th May 2008, 09:39 PM
He described an item as a Takara release and showed pics of the Takara package and mentioned "the elusive allspark is included". When I got the item, it was the local release and I asked him to either accept a return or send the described item. He wouldn't budge. He said he wrote "Hasbro" in the description which should have made everything clear. I disputed and I lost.

EDIT: He also sells KOs advertised as legit. Much of his negative feedback is to that effect.

EDIT 2: You sure your Soundwave is real? ;)

iceburn
14th May 2008, 12:38 AM
i'm actually keen in getting the Animated Colour Galvatron from him but am thinking twice now as the picture does not represent what he sends out.
so it's still a BIG WARNING sign for anyone thinking of getting stuff from him in the future...

Robzy
14th May 2008, 12:53 AM
This is an interesting move from ebay...

iceburn
14th May 2008, 01:30 AM
erm i just tried it...got back fired...!!!!!!
seller apparently has rights to give negative feedbacks now...

jop
14th May 2008, 01:32 AM
Wow, i'm really impressed with this move. I've had so many annoying ebay buyers over the past and spent many hours deciding if i should give them negative feedback in fear i would receive it too. I think this is definately a positive move by eBay. Although bad buyers may now be lurking around more easily, there's no too much they can do to a seller which they couldn't do before, esp. when people just make a new account.

Fungal Infection
14th May 2008, 08:51 AM
So does this policy apply to just ebay Australia or ebay US? If Iceburn can cop neg feedback then obviously it is yet in full effect.

iceburn
14th May 2008, 10:07 AM
So does this policy apply to just ebay Australia or ebay US? If Iceburn can cop neg feedback then obviously it is yet in full effect.

Probably not..asking ebay about it now
Well, i'm the guinea pig/lab rat

i_amtrunks
14th May 2008, 10:24 AM

Ebay Au does seem to be the testing ground for all international ebay's...

dirge
14th May 2008, 10:56 AM
I noticed my feedback score jumped by about 20 overnight. Which means that as part of the changes, the total number of positives given now count.

I'm not sure I agree with this - sellers still need some indication of a buyer. It would be far too easy to set up ten auctions, buy them and viola, instant "10+" feedback.

Pulse
14th May 2008, 11:19 AM
I noticed my feedback score jumped by about 20 overnight. Which means that as part of the changes, the total number of positives given now count.

Now that you mention it, I hadn't logged into my account for a while & when I just did, I found a nice little suprise ;):D.

jaydisc
14th May 2008, 11:24 AM
I'm not sure I follow. If I look at your profile Dirge, your feedback score is 161, but it says you've received 199 feedbacks.

Burn
14th May 2008, 11:29 AM
An easier system would have been for the feedback to only become visible once both buyer and seller had left their feedback.

At present, there's a number of sellers who don't leave feedback until the buyer has because of the whole "if they leave me negative feedback i'll do the same to them!" attitude.

Take away their ability to see the feedback until they do their job, problem solved. All this does is mask the dodgy buyers.

griffin
14th May 2008, 01:15 PM
but what about dodgy buyers?

It's always been a lot easier for sellers to get buyers banned from ebay, for things like not paying, but at least now buyers have some power over the sellers (who had been dictating terms with feedback for a long time now). If sellers are prevented from leaving retaliatory feedback, you will indeed see a lot more legitimate negative feedback given to sellers who other people should avoid. Or at least, it will make sellers put more effort into their transactions, making them more reliable to us as buyers.
There will always be some dodgy buyers, but there are more dodgy sellers because there is more to gain from being a dodgy seller. And sellers probably still have some avenue available to them to report dodgy buyers.

STL
14th May 2008, 11:27 PM
It appears Dirge is correct. My feedback is now over 200. It must be counting all my transactions though I do know there's been more than that. Just not everyone has left feedback. The other noticeable change is now feedback percentage is calculated as of the last 12 months which is pretty good imo.

dirge
14th May 2008, 11:35 PM
Perhaps it's not the number of items but the number of transactions? I've bought several items from one seller with a single payment - 1 feedback. If I buy something else later - 1 feedback?

iceburn
14th May 2008, 11:47 PM
It appears Dirge is correct. My feedback is now over 200. It must be counting all my transactions though I do know there's been more than that. Just not everyone has left feedback. The other noticeable change is now feedback percentage is calculated as of the last 12 months which is pretty good imo.

+1, back to using my old high level account and yippeeee for good reasons.....:cool:

Vector Sigma 13
15th May 2008, 06:38 AM
My soundwave is real alright- 1980's real, lol has the wear to prove it. Lucky i didnt pay much for it. Thanks for the warning though. The last thing we need is people filling up the system with KO's.

jaydisc
15th May 2008, 07:54 AM
Perhaps it's not the number of items but the number of transactions? I've bought several items from one seller with a single payment - 1 feedback. If I buy something else later - 1 feedback?

Isn't that what it's always been?

STL, same question to you. Your rating is 204, but you have received 302 feedback? I'm not sure how you guys are assessing this...

STL
15th May 2008, 09:55 AM
Nope, I have no idea. I only see 204, 98.6% and 3 figures for the past twelve months. 4, 55 and 86 positive feedbacks. I can't find the 302 feedback anywhere. I have no idea how those monkeys are doing this.

jaydisc
15th May 2008, 10:02 AM
If you click the number by your username to list feedbacks, right above the actual list of feedbacks, you'll see:

302 Feedback received (viewing 1-25)

Monkeys indeed :)

EDIT: I'm pretty close to being done with eBay (but unfortunately not PayPal). I have very little intention of collecting older figures any more with the current status of the Encore line. eBay is SCREAMING for a competitor.

Borgeman
15th May 2008, 10:26 AM
[quote=jaydisc;22542]If you click the number by your username to list feedbacks, right above the actual list of feedbacks, you'll see:

302 Feedback received (viewing 1-25)[quote]

jays right, but you only get one feedback point per new member you deal with, hence the discrepency.

also if you click the feedback left for others tab, you can see how many feedbacks you have left, and you then will know how many feedback comments less you have received over given

George

griffin
15th May 2008, 02:16 PM
Well I managed to gain an extra 30 or 40, so there is something different with the calculation.

STL
15th May 2008, 04:14 PM
Monkeys indeed :)

I see it now. I've tried to browse through help but I really don't know how the hell they're doing this. Maybe we should feed 'em bananas.

EDIT: I'm pretty close to being done with eBay (but unfortunately not PayPal). I have very little intention of collecting older figures any more with the current status of the Encore line. eBay is SCREAMING for a competitor.

why's that? I thought these changes were pretty good. Or is it that bad transaction w/ Stockade?

jaydisc
15th May 2008, 04:29 PM
Well, I've applied a few rules due to recent events:

1. If an item is expected to ever be at Australian retail, WAIT and ONLY buy it there.

Between sales, scams and who knows what else, as long as you're patient, AU retail will most likely be the cheapest option. Hasbro Australia's complete lack of inventory management skills supports this. And, with the exception of recent return policy changes, having a receipt you can return an item with, has a lot of value.

This rule will stop me from using eBay for cheap deals like the $19 per figure we paid for the Walmart Exclusives or the $38 each I paid for 1st Strike and Evac. With patience, I could get those figures now or soon at $20 and $35 respectively. It just means I will get things later, but patience is another virtue I'm working on. ;)

2. With the recent announcement of Metroplex and the potential of Henkei Seekers, I'm holding off on all vintage purchases.

Now, admittedly, I'm not much of a vintage collector. I've already gotten most of the G1 TFs I specifically want, and much prefer the playability of the current generations of toys... all three: Movie, Animated and Classics. I love them all!

So, that being said, I just can't justify spending close to $400 just to give me Fort Max a head and that head a head too (boy that's a lot of head ;)) when Takara might deliver me a full minty version of Max with all his bits for under half that price.

On top of those two reasons, my recent PayPal dispute (aka eBay when you think about it) left a bad taste in my mouth and eBay's recent unwelcome policy changes (e.g. hiding bidders nicks, only accepting paypal or COD) show a severe arrogance and lack of care for their customers' opinions, and as a rude Yank, I have a real hard time with that, and I will respond in the only language they and I understand... my wallet. They're SCREAMING for some decent competition.

All that being said, I agree that these changes are good, but I've never been bitten by a bad buyer. I'll tell you what though, any future listings of mine will have minimum feedback requirements... I'm thinking at least 5 or possibly even 10 to make sure I stay that way.

autobreadticon
15th May 2008, 10:12 PM
ebay is great for the wife or parent to secretly seller their partners or childrens transformers :D

Kyle
16th May 2008, 11:03 AM
Now, admittedly, I'm not much of a vintage collector. I've already gotten most of the G1 TFs I specifically want, and much prefer the playability of the current generations of toys... all three: Movie, Animated and Classics. I love them all!

Similar here. I got back into TF with BW, and only started seriously "collecting" when Takara released Car Robots, G1 reissues, BT etc. Besides the G1 toys I still have with me from my childhood, many of the G1 TFs I want have been satisfied by various reissues and TF Collection. I like to open minty fresh toys. :p I still want Dinbots and Devastator... but I can only hope TakaraTomy would build new moulds from the old toys. :/
Vintage MIB toys are too expensive for me, and I'd rather save money for fresh new toys that keep coming.

So, that being said, I just can't justify spending close to $400 just to give me Fort Max a head and that head a head too (boy that's a lot of head ;)) when Takara might deliver me a full minty version of Max with all his bits for under half that price.

Fingers crossed... :p

ebay is great for the wife or parent to secretly seller their partners or childrens transformers :D

:(:o:p

jaydisc
22nd May 2008, 04:54 PM
New rules explained here:

http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/feedback/feedback-scores.html

Here's the bit regarding repeat feedback. Italic emphasis is mine and I believe explains the discrepancy we were seeing:

Members can affect each other's Feedback Score by only one point per week. Each member may affect your score by one point (positive or negative) per transaction. However, to make sure that repeat Feedback is calculated in the Feedback Score, each transaction the member is leaving Feedback for must end in a separate week. For Feedback, eBay defines a week as Monday to Sunday AEST

For example, a buyer wins an item on Tuesday, then receives it and gives the seller positive Feedback on Thursday. If the buyer wins another item that week with the same seller, the Feedback the buyer leaves will not count toward the seller's Feedback Score. But if the buyer wins another item the following Tuesday, the Feedback will count toward the seller's Feedback Score.

Repeat Feedback submitted before early February 2008 does not affect Feedback Scores. Repeat Feedback submitted once a week counts toward members' Feedback scores starting in February 2008.

Fungal Infection
22nd May 2008, 05:07 PM
I've noticed that I'm getting much better customer service since the introduction of these new rules. Even Wheeljack's lab, who have been complete arsemongers in the past were a breeze to deal with this time around (I had to bid on an auction of his because his was the cheapest with shipping). In the past, when I've used him, he's always been shitty about me not reading so-called rules or being stupid not to ask questions earlier (when I did both). But just this week after an auction I bid on finished, he was noticably more "restrained". One more for the good guys! :D

jaydisc
22nd May 2008, 05:11 PM
I concur. I think this is one of the few changes that is for the better good.

Robzy
22nd May 2008, 09:27 PM
Yeah - I've noticed a real "improvement" in the standard of Sellers' attitudes! :)

I've dealt with 3 or 4 in the past fortnight, and they've all been very helpful. They've actually replied to emails, posted quickly, and here's the BIGGIE... they've all left feedback first! :eek:

dirge
22nd May 2008, 09:30 PM
I'm still getting feedback second, but I don't really mind. I'm just glad that this forces selfish sellers to actually give a stuff about customer service.

iceburn
22nd May 2008, 11:53 PM
Yeah - I've noticed a real "improvement" in the standard of Sellers' attitudes! :)

I've dealt with 3 or 4 in the past fortnight, and they've all been very helpful. They've actually replied to emails, posted quickly, and here's the BIGGIE... they've all left feedback first! :eek:

in contrast, i havent. my sellers haven't replied me..but well, patient and waiting now

jaydisc
27th May 2008, 11:51 AM
I was chatting with a friend the other day about some eBay policies and we were taking about how before this rule came in, you'd have to try and wait until the 89th day to leave negative feedback so the other party wouldn't have time to retaliate, and he gave this concept a great name....

The Feedback Snipe :D

Soundwarp
27th May 2008, 12:16 PM
About Damm Time

iceburn
29th May 2008, 12:28 PM
ok guys...updates:

i won my battle with ebay...i've got my negative feedback removed...back to 100% :P

Borgeman
18th June 2008, 11:47 AM
As you may be aware, a number of changes were scheduled to come into effect on eBay.com.au on 17 June 2008.
Most of these changes have been delayed by almost one month and are now scheduled to commence on 15 July 2008 ...... The decision to delay these changes was made by eBay following the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission's (ACCC) draft notice issued on Thursday 12 June 2008.
eBay released a media statement on Friday 13 June regarding the ACCC's draft notice.

we still have a foot in the door

George

Burn
18th June 2008, 12:04 PM
Yeah I had to laugh at that.

E-Bay's just another victim of that mean overbearing ACCC. They never let businesses have a good go!

Suck it E-Bay. :D

dirge
18th June 2008, 09:00 PM
I wonder how many users really let their heartstrings be tugged by this.

This email was funnier than the one I received last week about how to take care of babies. Which was priceless!

Hmm... I should send that to Soundwarp!

STL
25th June 2008, 12:22 AM
The irony of this change is that as I was about to leave my first -ve feedback, I stopped myself. I went back and e-mailed the seller giving courtesy notice of my decision and why I'm doing so. Am I just being too nice? He's trying to talk me out of it now saying that the item was in near perfect condition.

The fact was that even if it was when it got to me packaged in an A3 letter inside an Express satchet, it had scuffs and dents all over it. And considering what I bought was a BT-08 Zoom Zoom, I think my anger's warranted. The toy isn't exactly the random toy that was available at retail. You had to be a collector of some sort to get it and you'd know its worth (which he did given the price he was offering it at)

jaydisc
25th June 2008, 01:04 AM
Was the toy scuffed or its packaging?

iceburn
25th June 2008, 01:07 AM
well i nearly did it to another seller as well but the answers she gave me was good enough that didn't warrant the negative feedback. i didnt give any in the end.
i checked a week back later and she had received 1 neutral and 1 negative.

hence, should i give her the actual feedback she deserve???

STL
25th June 2008, 01:13 AM
Was the toy scuffed or its packaging?

The box. The toy I haven't gotten around to inspecting yet. And probably won't be for a while since I have other priorities. *Looks at Superlink Bruticus.*

What was ur problem Ice? I say leave negative. Seems she screwed other people too and just wanting to play the oh I didn't no card.

jaydisc
25th June 2008, 01:18 AM
That's right. We discussed this.

I certainly like having nice packaging, but I think if the quality of packaging is not mentioned, the buyer should not make assumptions. Specifically, I interpret you as saying that anyone selling that item should be collector-aware and should have informed you about the box. You didn't ask and shouldn't assume. Had you asked about the box quality, the seller would have had the opportunity to say that it wasn't that flash. They never had that opportunity. I personally don't think they deserve negative (or neutral) feedback based on the un-discussed box.

STL
25th June 2008, 01:31 AM
That's right. We discussed this.

I certainly like having nice packaging, but I think if the quality of packaging is not mentioned, the buyer should not make assumptions. Specifically, I interpret you as saying that anyone selling that item should be collector-aware and should have informed you about the box. You didn't ask and shouldn't assume. Had you asked about the box quality, the seller would have had the opportunity to say that it wasn't that flash. They never had that opportunity. I personally don't think they deserve negative (or neutral) feedback based on the un-discussed box.

From the item description:

"Box in almost perfect condition, car still has ties attached to plastic caseing."

That's why I take issue with it. I agree w/ you. If I'd had no description I'd have assumed the risk (but generally I would've asked if it was vague). The box is in anything but near perfect condition with scratches on the plastic, dents and scuffs on the corner.

jaydisc
25th June 2008, 01:33 AM
My bad. I say give him a negative, i.e.:

Seller described packaging as "almost perfect condition" when it was scratched, dented and scuffed.

iceburn
25th June 2008, 07:27 AM
I recently bought an ultra magnus (not reissue) and some sparkbots/firecons

the ultra magnus has lots of chrome wear and the right smokestack was broken.
you can hardly see it in the pictures and seller has not made the effort to mention it in the description. moreover, the title says 105% complete. without me checking properly, i won the bid and later realised its only 95% complete. it's missing 1 missile and 1 cab connector.

with the sparkbots/firecons, there's lots of rusty screws. well, i agree the toy is old but she can afford to say those in her description first or take pics that best show what the toy condition is. there's also no spark left with the bots and i do agree with seller that it's an old toy too. it's my bad for not asking and trusting the seller.

moreover, she thought i was trying to scam her cos borge also suggested to combine postage for his Kup but she was too slow at it and ended up not doing it.... so what's the call???

jaydisc
25th June 2008, 08:50 AM
Have you approached her with your thoughts? What was her reaction? I think the seller's reaction to your problem is the biggest indicator on what kind of feedback you should leave.

I bought a Classics Starscream that was described as mint, as new, transformed once. When I got it, the right arm was so lose, it would just flap down to his side. I complained stating that it was not "mint". He said that was very surprised and offered me a refund. Because of that, I gave him positive feedback.

TheDirtyDigger
25th June 2008, 10:01 AM
I left my first negative feedback about two weeks ago.

The item never arrived although I'm sure the seller sent it as he has over 1700 positives and previously not one negative. I believe he may have sent it to the wrong address or it got lost in the mail but I discussed it with him first through a number of emails.
He was not willing to offer a refund which is his perogative.
I felt that paying money for nothing was a negative experience so I left negative feedback...which is my perogative.

I did feel somewhat guilty as I spoilt his previously perfect feedback but what else could I have done?

iceburn
25th June 2008, 10:01 AM
i gave her my thoughts and she accused me stating i'm trying to scam her...maybe i shld just give the negative or a neutral

[edit] i've replied her also after closing the dispute that we (borge and i) are legitimate TF collectors and have no reason to scam her for combining postage. no replies from her then...

it's so mind boggling when i see others giving her the negatives/netural remarks. i really felt like emailing her and saying to her that.."see, you deserve it. looks like you're the one scamming us buyers"

Pulse
25th June 2008, 10:40 AM
It's simple - She described one thing, & The condition was completely different (You can't blame the various Postal Organisations for that).

You've already told her about it so... If you're in a good mood, leave a neutral. If it's sh#tting you, leave a negative. :)

jaydisc
25th June 2008, 03:22 PM
http://lindalane.com/temporary/tf/quintesson.png

"Guilty"

dirge
25th June 2008, 03:32 PM
Negative, pure and simple. Deliberate misrepresentation means she set out to rip you off. There's no neutral about it, if it had a piece broken off, it was not "105% complete".

STL
25th June 2008, 11:33 PM
http://lindalane.com/temporary/tf/quintesson.png

"Guilty"
"Feed her to the Sharkticons."

STL
27th June 2008, 10:31 AM
I just left a negative. It was very unusual for me. There's this whole tick box section thingie too which makes it seem "oh are u sure u want to leave negative feedback? Are u really really sure?" :rolleyes:

I got a bit irked by the seller tbh. I tried to walkthru him why I was upset and he didn't quite listen. I mean, I felt bad about having to leave negative feedback so I wanted to give him a chance to explain himself. Then he started w/ a whole spiel how I'd made assumptions and the such. I then pointed to his pics where there was no damage to the box as well as his description. Then he goes on saying he doesn't have time for me b/c he's got a wife and kids and he'd done me a service sending it express which was beyond the call of duty of what he had listed in the auction yadda/yadda. :rolleyes:

I was pretty pissed. His regular postage cost was $15. He sent via a 3kg express satchet. They're $10. Hardly beyond the call of duty. And to package w/ 1 sheet of A4 envelope is hardly adequate.

But I still felt bad leaving negative feedback. :confused:

And it looks like I might have to do it again soon. The guy selling me my '08 Ricochet hasn't replied to my last 3 inquiries... :rolleyes:

Pulse
27th June 2008, 10:56 AM
There are cases where you don't get what you were told - Plain & Simple. & sadly, this was one of them.

I know you feel "bad" about leaving that type of feedback, but he deserved it.

Think about those words again "he deserved it" :l

'Nuff said :).

STL
27th June 2008, 12:52 PM
EBay sent this e-mail. It ain't gonna stick. This is a test case to eBay. What I'm surprised by is the new protection limit $20,000. However, unlike the previous link to Paypal conditions is gone from the eBay listings. I wonder if they've changed those conditions? I mean, they lift it up by what sounds like a nice amt but finding the conditions ain't that easy.

__________________________________________________ _______________________
Changes to eBay.com.au scheduled for 15 July are being postponed until the review process with the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) regarding its recent draft notice is complete. As previously announced, eBay.com.au is continuing to work with the ACCC to achieve an outcome that benefits buyers and sellers.

Changes that came into effect on 21 May 2008, requiring all sellers to offer PayPal, will remain. These changes mean that all buyers have the option of choosing PayPal, the safer payment method for shopping on eBay.com.au. Payment methods that are currently permitted will continue to be allowed on eBay.com.au until further notice.

Other recently introduced safety measures, such as PayPal Seller Protection and increased PayPal Buyer Protection (now up to $20,000) will also remain.

eBay regrets any ongoing uncertainty that this further delay may cause and will advise you of any future plans for implementation following the ACCC process.

As always, eBay appreciates the feedback received from the Community and will use this input to consider where we can make improvements that benefit both buyers and sellers.

eBay remains committed to improving safety and we will continue to look for ways to improve the shopping experience for buyers which will subsequently benefit both sellers and eBay.

Please note that some of our onsite communications may still refer to changes taking place on 15 July 2008. These communications are in the process of being updated.
Regards

The eBay Team

dirge
27th June 2008, 07:31 PM
EBay sent this e-mail:

(SNIP)
__________________________________________________ _______________________
(SNIP)

As always, eBay appreciates the feedback received from the Community and will use this input to consider where we can make improvements that benefit both buyers and sellers.

Yeah, okay. From what I understand of it, the community response to these strongarm tactics has been overwhelmingly negative. Or maybe there's a capital C for a reason, a proper noun for some obscure internal eBay commite :mad:

MV75
27th June 2008, 08:48 PM
Speaking of sachets, I've noticed this a lot lately, and when I got my kup the other day, it just really got to me.

That being, why doesn't anyone use boxes anymore? They put this nice stuff into freaking envelopes. Granted it was well packed within it, man, I couldn't imagine myself using anything but a box for these things. And it's not like it would put them out when you pay $8+ for postage and the sticker says it really cost them $4.

Anyone else annoyed by this trend of using envelopes and not boxes anymore?
________
Top Penny Stocks (http://pennystockpicks.net/)

STL
27th June 2008, 11:52 PM
Speaking of sachets, I've noticed this a lot lately, and when I got my kup the other day, it just really got to me.

That being, why doesn't anyone use boxes anymore? They put this nice stuff into freaking envelopes. Granted it was well packed within it, man, I couldn't imagine myself using anything but a box for these things. And it's not like it would put them out when you pay $8+ for postage and the sticker says it really cost them $4.

Anyone else annoyed by this trend of using envelopes and not boxes anymore?

I don't mind satchels as long as they're packed w/ lots of bubble inside.

But hey, my guy used a frickin' A4 envelope to wrap up a BT. That's a pretty tough act of stupidity to beat.

griffin
28th June 2008, 01:35 AM
Whenever I post several boxes of items at the post office, they try to remind me that an express post satchel is cheaper, especially if I had bought the boxes there as well. Both the express post and regular post satchels can work out cheaper between 0.5kg to 3kg, especially from QLD to WA/SA/NT. The problem is the size of the item - it may not leave enough room for adequate protective packing material, or the satchel isn't big enough to take 3kg worth of stuff anyway.
I have used them a lot myself, and try to protect the item(s) after one item I sent a few years back got a little crushed (fortunately the buyer only left neutral feedback for it) because I didn't think about padding it within the satchel.
As such, I only use them if it is for something I can protectively pad, or isn't going to be damaged in the satchel. But for others who are trying to make a decent profit from their ebay sales, it would be very tempting to take the cheaper (satchel) option and risk damaging the item in transit and claim it is the fault of the postal service.

Nova Prime
9th July 2008, 09:02 PM
Personally I'm glad that eBay has done this. In my personal experience Power Sellers often manipulate the bid by pretending to be a different bidder and raising the price of the item (even to the point of winning the item themselves and offering you a second chance). Once you get the item, they usually deliver poor customer service, taking two to three days just to reply to a single message, not posting the item out until the end of the working week (what's the point of paying extra for express postage when the seller takes a or two week just to post the item?), provide no packaging, etc. (this is all with immediate payment btw). Even if they do all this I would still leave them a positive feedback.

But when they misrepresent the item they're selling (e.g. this one time I purchased a Transformer Movie Deluxe Class Autobot Jazz, it took three weeks to be delivered, I paid for express postage btw, when it finally arrived I found a Fast-Action Battler Aubot Jazz). Let me clarify, the item was called "Transformers Movie Deluxe Class Action Autobot Jazz", the description repeated used the words "deluxe class", the words "fast-action battler" was not used once, and the pictures where of the Deluxe Class Autobot Jazz. When I talked with the seller, he said that the word "action" was used in the title, and I was in complete disbelief. Despite branding the words "deluxe class" throughout the item's description and depicting images of the Deluxe Class Autobot Jazz, he justified himself by saying that he used the word "action" once in the title. I was forced to give him a positive feedback despite all this in fear of getting a negative feedback from him.

STL
10th July 2008, 12:15 AM
Personally I'm glad that eBay has done this. In my personal experience Power Sellers often manipulate the bid by pretending to be a different bidder and raising the price of the item (even to the point of winning the item themselves and offering you a second chance). Once you get the item, they usually deliver poor customer service, taking two to three days just to reply to a single message, not posting the item out until the end of the working week (what's the point of paying extra for express postage when the seller takes a or two week just to post the item?), provide no packaging, etc. (this is all with immediate payment btw). Even if they do all this I would still leave them a positive feedback.

But when they misrepresent the item they're selling (e.g. this one time I purchased a Transformer Movie Deluxe Class Autobot Jazz, it took three weeks to be delivered, I paid for express postage btw, when it finally arrived I found a Fast-Action Battler Aubot Jazz). Let me clarify, the item was called "Transformers Movie Deluxe Class Action Autobot Jazz", the description repeated used the words "deluxe class", the words "fast-action battler" was not used once, and the pictures where of the Deluxe Class Autobot Jazz. When I talked with the seller, he said that the word "action" was used in the title, and I was in complete disbelief. Despite branding the words "deluxe class" throughout the item's description and depicting images of the Deluxe Class Autobot Jazz, he justified himself by saying that he used the word "action" once in the title. I was forced to give him a positive feedback despite all this in fear of getting a negative feedback from him.

That's a freakin' terrible story. I would slap the f---er out for u if I met him. What an absolute @r$e

Tropisetron
14th July 2008, 10:26 PM
We were talking so much about this ebay thingie as a buyer... i'm sure it'll work out well.

What if we're the seller? I recently had a buyer who bought but didn't pay for an item. Now i can't leave him a -ve feedback. I'm classifying him as a joybidder. Doesn't this system actually disadvantage the sellers?

iceburn
14th July 2008, 10:32 PM
We were talking so much about this ebay thingie as a buyer... i'm sure it'll work out well.

What if we're the seller? I recently had a buyer who bought but didn't pay for an item. Now i can't leave him a -ve feedback. I'm classifying him as a joybidder. Doesn't this system actually disadvantage the sellers?

can't you discredit him and ask ebay to give him 1 strike.
once he receives 3 strikes for such actions, he'll be "banned" from ebay
so you're not in the losing end either...but yes, the system kind of sucks but it's been benefiting me as a buyer now

dirge
14th July 2008, 10:47 PM
As I have previously stated in the discussion, I think eBay messed this one up. The problem was sellers holding buyers to ransom. Now the opposite is true.

Since the buyer's duty is essentially complete at the moment of payment, the better way to solve the issue of buyers being afraid of retaliatory feedback would be to activate buyers leaving feedback only once they have received feedback first. That way, the buyer - once their end of the transaction is completed - is credited with fulfilling their obligation, and the seller has to come through, since their obligation is to deliver the goods.

Yes, there will always be moron buyers who are impatient or who don't read the description properly, but if you check a seller's feedback, you can usually spot them.

iceburn
14th July 2008, 10:59 PM
Yes, there will always be moron buyers who are impatient or who don't read the description properly, but if you check a seller's feedback, you can usually spot them.

+1 moron to me

Pulse
14th July 2008, 11:52 PM
Why would someone Win an Auction/BIN an item if they honestly had no intention of ever paying for it?

Don't saps like that have better things to do with their time? :confused: