16th July 2011, 03:51 AM
It's finally ready.

I'm proud to present, Heroic's Toy Shop Guide Maps for:

Hong Kong
Hokkaido
Osaka
Singapore; and
Tokyo

It has taken awhile to put it together, but I think its worthwhile if it can even help 1 collector along with finding what he/she needs.

These Maps are Transformers focused and in particular, skewed towards G1 Transformers.

Heroic's Toy Shop Guide Maps (http://heroicdecepticon.blogspot.com/2011/07/heroics-toy-shop-locator-guide-for-hong.html)

kup
16th July 2011, 10:56 AM
It's finally ready.

I'm proud to present, Heroic's Toy Shop Guide Maps for:

Hong Kong
Hokkaido
Osaka
Singapore; and
Tokyo

It has taken awhile to put it together, but I think its worthwhile if it can even help 1 collector along with finding what he/she needs.

These Maps are Transformers focused and in particular, skewed towards G1 Transformers.

Heroic's Toy Shop Guide Maps (http://heroicdecepticon.blogspot.com/2011/07/heroics-toy-shop-locator-guide-for-hong.html)

That is very impressive! I am sure that this will be of monumental help for many travelling fans.

Thank you

liegeprime
16th July 2011, 03:29 PM
Wooohooo!!! Thanks HD, One day Ill be able to visit these places and thanks to you Ill have reference already on hand :D:D:D:D! I just need to save up now and get some leave credits.

Skullcruncher
16th July 2011, 08:16 PM
Nice work HD :cool:

Paulbot
16th July 2011, 08:31 PM
I can say that the Hong Kong map was very useful on my trip. :)

Lordy
17th July 2011, 02:39 PM
Thanks for that, I have some friends going to HK later this year, and will get them to check out those places for items.

Ode to a Grasshopper
17th July 2011, 08:47 PM
Cheers HD, I'll be living in Osaka for at least the next year so this little baby's gonna be seeing a lot of use.
I'll send you locations for more decent TF shops if I find them.:)

kristofferrer
23rd July 2011, 06:46 AM
Cheers HD, I'll be living in Osaka for at least the next year so this little baby's gonna be seeing a lot of use.
I'll send you locations for more decent TF shops if I find them.:)

Osaka was my favourite city!

CHILENO20
26th August 2012, 08:12 PM
Hi all

Does anyone know if the Herogangu store in Osaka, Japan has an english contact? I remember going to that store on my trip last year & being blown away by what they had. Would really appreciate any contacts, information and pointers. Thanks all.

Ode to a Grasshopper
26th August 2012, 09:11 PM
Nope. Den Den Town Mandarake has an English speaker on staff, but every time I've been there Hero Gangu has been all Japanese-only speakers.

CHILENO20
26th August 2012, 10:25 PM
Nope. Den Den Town Mandarake has an English speaker on staff, but every time I've been there Hero Gangu has been all Japanese-only speakers.

Is Mandrake the one futher up? The one on the corner opposite the model kit store? Thanks for the info as well.

kurdt_the_goat
26th August 2012, 10:51 PM
Mandarake is about 15 mins walk away from the main street in DenDenTown.. more like Shinsaibashi area. Jungle is another G1 stockist that's one street down from Herogangu.

GoktimusPrime
27th August 2012, 12:20 AM
There's 2 Mandarakes (pronounced "Mahn-dah-rah-keh") in Osaka -- Umeda Mandarake and Mandarake Grand Kaos, both within walking distance of each other. I'm not aware of any staff in Den Den Town that speaks English... but if you're able to go there with someone who can speak Japanese (or if you feel like learning Japanese ;)), Hero Gangu is the one place in Den Den Town where you can haggle (which is uncommon in Japan -- I tried haggling at Mandarake & Jungle... no luck :p). I haggled with the manager at Hero Gangu and he gave us 17% off all our purchases on that day (so the United Frenzy/Rumble I found there for about $51 was sold for $42... still freaking expensive for a pair of Scouts, but I haven't been able to find them for any cheaper).

More details about my TF exploits in Osaka here (http://otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=12608). :)

Ode to a Grasshopper
27th August 2012, 01:16 AM
I'm not aware of any staff in Den Den Town that speaks English...Bugger, my mistake - kurdt and Goki are quite right and Mandarake GC is in Shinsaibashi. I got the names mixed up - shouldn't have stayed up so late playing Just Cause 2 last night I guess...:o
Anyway, apparently Jungle has an Italian guy on staff who speaks both English and Japanese. He's not in every day though.

Between Goki's adventures and the ever-so-handy Heroic Decepticon's Osaka TF shop guide (http://heroicdecepticon.blogspot.jp/2011/06/heroics-osaka-transformers-toy-shopping.html) you should be set info-wise.
And of course there's me, who lives here, but between my having a full-time teaching job, my contract forbidding me from work on the side, and my Japanese being pretty basic there's only so much I can do.

CHILENO20
27th August 2012, 01:24 AM
Thanks everyone, your info has been great! Wish I could go back! Oh well, I can dream. Do any of these other places have websites in english? Doubtful but you never know. I only checked the main street of Den Den town when I was over there.

theshape
16th November 2012, 11:37 AM
Hey guys thinking of going to Tokyo in January. Any tips at cheap/nice hotels to stay close to the cool shops? Any tips on saving money (cheap meals etc)?

Any other cool places to visit (ive checked out Heroic's blog)?

Cheers guys!

liegeprime
26th November 2012, 09:58 AM
Well, your basically covered once you've read thru heroic d's blog on getting around akihabara. Keep in mind though he covers mostl6 g1 stuff since he's not that much interested in new stuff, so, I say follow the ones he suggested but still have wander on each shop that way you don't miss anything and keep abreast of the conversion rate daily so you know if the item is cheap or not and haggle hehehe:D - something I'm not good at all.

SuspectimusPrime
26th November 2012, 05:58 PM
I found most of the food in Japan quite cheap whilst very high in quality :) We weren't thinking of saving money, but meals averaged at $20pp or less. After returning from Japan we had dinner at Nobu Melbourne, and sadly just could not get the same quality.

Shirokaze
26th November 2012, 08:24 PM
HD's blog covers all the Mandarake stores which is awesome.

While you're in Akiba, be sure to check out Yodobashi Camera for current toy releases, as well as temporary Radio Kaiken 1 and Toys Golden Age on Chuo dori. Chuo Dori is Akiba's main street, but be sure to explore the streets parallel to it too. If you're also an anime or game fan, you'll probably need to spend a day (or more) in Akiba alone, so be careful with your scheduling!

For accommodation, I stayed in a hostel called Khaosan Tokyo Ninja in Asakusabashi. If you're going with one other person, it's great, because you can get private rooms for 2 at a cost of 3000yen per person, per night. The bathroom facilities are shared, but only with the few rooms on your floor. They're cleaned multiple times per day, and are absolutely spotless all the time. Never had to wait for a toilet or shower either!

Meals can be done really cheaply if you don't feel the need to splash out. Convenience store sushi and onigiri is better than most sit down sushi joints in Australia, and the bento they sell are delicious too! Ramen can be had at some places for as little as 300yen, and udon/curry places do sets for 500-600yen!!

Hope that helps some :)

GoktimusPrime
26th November 2012, 09:06 PM
While you're in Akiba, be sure to check out Yodobashi Camera for current toy releases,
Yodobashi Camera is also currently selling their exclusive Transformers Prime Thundercracker toy, if you're interested in getting that, theshape. :) Maybe if you know any Transformer collectors in Tokyo you can meet up with them. :cool:

Meals can be done really cheaply if you don't feel the need to splash out. Convenience store sushi and onigiri is better than most sit down sushi joints in Australia, and the bento they sell are delicious too!
I love Konbini Sushi and Onigiri... but they are loaded with preservatives and aren't as nice/healthy as proper sit-down restaurant sushi. Nothing beats proper home-cooked Japanese food though. *major.droolage*

theshape
27th November 2012, 11:25 PM
Thanks for the reply guys. I only collect vintage so that's what I'll be on the hunt for. I'll check out all the places. I've booked the Washington hotel in akihabara , was about $100 per night - not too bad. Would love to try to check out some flea market/ fairs to find vintage stuff.

Should be a fun holiday anyways.

GoktimusPrime
27th November 2012, 11:57 PM
In that case you won't find any of that stuff in regular stores - you'll have to stick to specialty stores. Old toys are damn expensive though. :( Mandarake is pricey, but I like how they're very open/transparent with the nature of the toys that they sell - like if the toy is a fake or if it's been opened before or if it's missing any anything that you can't see etc. I really admire the honest aspect of their policy that allows consumers to make fully informed choices. I don't really collect vintage, so my knowledge of such stores is very limited -- but if you ever get the chance to go to Osaka there are lots of collectable stores in Den Den Town there, including Hero Gangu which is like one of the rare places in Japan where you can actually haggle. At the fan meet I attended there we managed to haggle 17% off our total purchases (since we were collectively all buying a lot of stuff in a single hit).

Will you be meeting up with any other collectors in Tokyo? froggy124 lives in Chiba and works at Akihabara... maybe shoot him a PM? (just a suggestion) :) Either way, I hope you have a good time!

Tetsuwan Convoy
28th November 2012, 12:07 AM
Meals can be done really cheaply if you don't feel the need to splash out. Convenience store sushi and onigiri is better than most sit down sushi joints in Australia, and the bento they sell are delicious too! Ramen can be had at some places for as little as 300yen, and udon/curry places do sets for 500-600yen!!

Food is so good in Japan. I have NEVER come across any sushi in Australia that can compare. I find that incredibly depressing. Onigiri is the greatest! Umeboshi FTW.

1orion2many
1st May 2013, 06:19 PM
Most probably heading to Hong Kong in June so hopefully I'll find these places, Do they sell Microman?:)

heroic_decepticon
30th May 2013, 01:17 PM
Most probably heading to Hong Kong in June so hopefully I'll find these places, Do they sell Microman?:)

Microman is few and far between over here.... :(

swoop
28th December 2013, 12:50 PM
Hi hd did you notice the opening hours for Mandarake when you were there?

GoktimusPrime
28th December 2013, 12:58 PM
http://mandarake.co.jp/information/customary/sitemap/
Most of them open from 12:00 to 20:00.

Don't forget, if you're in Osaka, you can haggle with the manager at Hero Gangu! :D (if you can speak Japanese or have a Japanese speaker w/ you)

heroic_decepticon
28th December 2013, 01:11 PM

Gok is right on the money.

For the Sapporo Store, its 10.30 to 20.00, weird I know. But the Tokyo ones are all 12.00 to 20.00.

Don't forget, if you're in Osaka, you can haggle with the manager at Hero Gangu! :D (if you can speak Japanese or have a Japanese speaker w/ you)

I've been haggling in English for the past years. And been getting freebies from him too. He now automatically gives me discounts as well... heh.

GoktimusPrime
28th December 2013, 01:22 PM
I've been haggling in English for the past years. And been getting freebies from him too. He now automatically gives me discounts as well... heh.
Hah... there ya go. I never tried speaking to the staff in English. :p I'm by no means a regular customer so I had to do the haggling. Still... I managed to score 17% of my purchases. I'm a crap haggler btw. :p

heroic_decepticon
28th December 2013, 01:53 PM
Hah... there ya go. I never tried speaking to the staff in English. :p I'm by no means a regular customer so I had to do the haggling. Still... I managed to score 17% of my purchases. I'm a crap haggler btw. :p

you should see my wife. Goes for the throat right-away. And then the shock on their faces. And she always ends up making it sound funny and they both end up laughing and she'll get her discount.... and this is for toys.

theshape
28th December 2013, 02:02 PM
I always thought it was considered rude to ask for discount in Japan so I was too scared too try it :o

heroic_decepticon
28th December 2013, 03:00 PM
I always thought it was considered rude to ask for discount in Japan so I was too scared too try it :o

I think you are right. But we clearly look like foreigners and we clearly look like we are out to have a good time, so we ask anyway. And we always end up laughing about it with the shop-keeper, so all in all, everyone's having fun.

Ode to a Grasshopper
28th December 2013, 03:11 PM
I always thought it was considered rude to ask for discount in Japan so I was too scared too try it :oOsaka's a little different. You can't do it in chain stores, but for your independent stores they often enjoy it (as long as you're not a jerk about it).

Anyways @HD, I live in Osaka these days, so if you make it down here before the 6th or so and fancy a meet-up send us a PM.:)

swoop
28th December 2013, 04:06 PM

Gok is right on the money.

For the Sapporo Store, its 10.30 to 20.00, weird I know. But the Tokyo ones are all 12.00 to 20.00.

Thanks guys I can't wait to tell my missus that she's in for 8 hours there, I'm sure she will be over the moon

heroic_decepticon
31st December 2013, 01:13 AM
Osaka's a little different. You can't do it in chain stores, but for your independent stores they often enjoy it (as long as you're not a jerk about it).

Anyways @HD, I live in Osaka these days, so if you make it down here before the 6th or so and fancy a meet-up send us a PM.:)

hiya, have replied to your PM. Will definitely contact you if I am there (or when I am there next, heh).

GoktimusPrime
31st December 2013, 01:37 AM
It is considered rude and insulting, because it implies that you think that the seller's prices are unreasonable. But Hero Gangu is a special exception. ;) But definitely don't try it anywhere else unless you've been told beforehand that it's okay.

I think you are right. But we clearly look like foreigners and we clearly look like we are out to have a good time, so we ask anyway. And we always end up laughing about it with the shop-keeper, so all in all, everyone's having fun.
Aaah... because I speak to staff in Japanese, I get the complete opposite reaction if I try it anywhere else - which was only once. It was in a store that I went to straight after Hero Gangu... I wasn't sure if it was just that store or maybe Osaka culture (as it was my 1st time in Osaka). Nope... it was just that store! The attendant at the other store indeed took offence to my question... so erm... yeah, don't do it. :o

liegeprime
9th January 2014, 02:28 PM
This thread needs to be stickied hehehehe....very useful but quite a chore to find :p... and I still haven't gone to Japan, sigh..... ah well, one of these days... one of these days....

griffin
9th January 2014, 07:37 PM
This thread needs to be stickied hehehehe....very useful but quite a chore to find :p... and I still haven't gone to Japan, sigh..... ah well, one of these days... one of these days....

I'm trying to build a page of fan resources here (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=11586) (which already includes HD's map posting), and am looking to add the two frequent questions - why does all Hasbro packaging have the Australia address on it, and how to post photos here.
It's on my list of things to do at the moment, which I'm slowly working through (currently updating the price list and check list topics).

heroic_decepticon
9th January 2014, 07:57 PM
I still need to update my maps and look to do so very soon.

Am also considering adding a Malaysia section.

Eruntalon
11th August 2016, 03:23 AM
Hi everyone! (long time no post) I'm off to Japan over October 18-November 21st and will be backpacking around Honshu via train with a rail pass. I did a search for my specific questions and I could not immediately find what I was after so I apologise in advance for digging this thread up.

My questions after reading a few threads here are:

1. As I will be backpacking (barely have 50 litres in a pack) I will need to consider using Japan Post or another postal service to ship large items back as I just wont have the ability to store them, as I will never be in one place for longer than 3 days at a time. Is Japan Post logistically usable by a foreigner to ship items to Australia and is it feasable? I also understand that when writing an address to send overseas whilst in Japan you need to write everything in reverse (i.e. first country, then street, then name of recipient last, correct?)

2. (non-tf related) I am visiting the Ghibli Museum in Mitaka and I will be taking a train on the Ueno line to get their via Shinjuku. I don't intend on using my rail pass to get there but rather my Suica card which can be used in metropolitan Tokyo. My question is can I use a Suica card on the Ueno line all the way to Mitaka/ is this still within the usable zone for a Suica card?

GoktimusPrime
11th August 2016, 09:57 AM
I've never had any issues using Japan Post, they're far more convenient and efficient than Australia Post. As for writing addresses, I recommend writing the word for "Australia" in Japanese on the very top, then the rest of the address can be written in English because Japan Post will ignore that. Basically when you ship things overseas the only part of the address that matters from where you post it is the destination country. The post office needs to know which country to send it to, but once it hits Australia then delivery is taken over by Australia Post.

Here's an example of how I write an Australian address on something sent from Japan:
オーストラリア
Maynard MacGuffin
42 Wallaby Way
Sydney NSW 2000

And similarly whenever I send things to Japan from here, I write the address like this:
JAPAN
〒125-8503 東京都
葛飾区青戸4丁目19番16号
幸日佐志様
Australia Post workers will (most likely) only be able to understand "Japan," but that's all they need to know. Even if I Romanised this address it would make no difference because all they need to know is that it's going to Japan. Once it hits Japan then Japan Post takes over, and it's much easier for them to read Japanese address written in Japanese (less chance of delay or misdelivery).

So I recommend practising writing オーストラリア so that you can write it on top of your Australian address. I wouldn't recommend making/using sticker labels as filling out things like customs declaration forms must be written in pen (because it also has to go through the carbon copies).

Eruntalon
12th August 2016, 05:41 AM
I've never had any issues using Japan Post, they're far more convenient and efficient than Australia Post. As for writing addresses, I recommend writing the word for "Australia" in Japanese on the very top, then the rest of the address can be written in English because Japan Post will ignore that. Basically when you ship things overseas the only part of the address that matters from where you post it is the destination country. The post office needs to know which country to send it to, but once it hits Australia then delivery is taken over by Australia Post.

Here's an example of how I write an Australian address on something sent from Japan:
オーストラリア
Maynard MacGuffin
42 Wallaby Way
Sydney NSW 2000

And similarly whenever I send things to Japan from here, I write the address like this:
JAPAN
〒125-8503 東京都
葛飾区青戸4丁目19番16号
幸日佐志様
Australia Post workers will (most likely) only be able to understand "Japan," but that's all they need to know. Even if I Romanised this address it would make no difference because all they need to know is that it's going to Japan. Once it hits Japan then Japan Post takes over, and it's much easier for them to read Japanese address written in Japanese (less chance of delay or misdelivery).

So I recommend practising writing オーストラリア so that you can write it on top of your Australian address. I wouldn't recommend making/using sticker labels as filling out things like customs declaration forms must be written in pen (because it also has to go through the carbon copies).

I'm glad I asked as this makes a lot more sense than writing an address in reverse, thank you.

kup
9th October 2016, 02:15 AM
I am having s hard time finding modern/current official transformers or any transformers whatsoever in tokyo. Went to akihabara but not much luck. All seems to be card games, anime and retro games. I am within walking distance so i can return if i have missed stores but i went into a lot and no TFs.

In Ginza i went to a large toy store but the tf section was very poor and overpriced similar as you find at target nowadays but no toys i was after like new headmasters.

tinyJazz
9th October 2016, 04:12 AM
I am having s hard time finding modern/current official transformers or any transformers whatsoever in tokyo. Went to akihabara but not much luck. All seems to be card games, anime and retro games. I am within walking distance so i can return if i have missed stores but i went into a lot and no TFs.

In Ginza i went to a large toy store but the tf section was very poor and overpriced similar as you find at target nowadays but no toys i was after like new headmasters.

Tets might know?

I'm assuming TRU and Yodobashi Camera would be the place to go for new stuff. They both have headmasters figures on their websites so it might be worth checking instore if you haven't tried them already.

Shirokaze
9th October 2016, 10:20 AM

As TinyJazz mentioned, Yodobashi Camera Akihabara would be the place to go for new stuff. The range is usually good and the prices are competitive. Sometimes the Akiba Mandarake will have well priced MIB current stuff. Go to the 8th floor where the Transformers are, the more current items are usually not in the display cabinets, but on shelves second aisle from the back wall.

Also do try the Radio Kaikan building. It's the brand new looking building adjacent GAMERS near to the JR Station entrance. Inside there's a collection of different stores, so of which carry new Masterpieces/Unite Warriors/Legends stuff.

Toys R Us at Ikebukuro in Sunshine City will have a good selection at TRU prices.

BIC Camera in Ikebukuro also has a decent toy section.

The BIC Camera and Yodobashi Camera department stores are all over the place, but the contents will vary. Some have Toy/Game levels, some don't.

GoktimusPrime
9th October 2016, 06:05 PM
Transformers are selling like hotcakes in Japan and it can be really hard to find new stuff, even in major stores. I went to Yodobashi Camera Akihabara and a lot of the Legends stuff was already sold out. They had them on display in a perspex case, and I saw a displayed Legends Blurr and wanted to buy one, but there were none on pegs. :( They did have Hardhead, Skullcruncher, Broadcast and a few others - pretty much the same as the Wave 1 TR stuff we have here. The TakaraTOMY heads are nicer but I couldn't justify purchasing the same moulds again when I have the Hasbro versions. They also had some MPs (Ironhide, Ratchet, Delta Magnus, Laserwave - not Hot Rodimus though), but again, nothing that piqued my interested. I checked out Aeon Mall TRU in Kyoto which where I got my Legends Weirdwolf from and I did see the smaller sized figures like Wheelie, Rewind etc. TRU and Takashimaya had TAV stuff.

I honestly got more toys from dealing with local fans from last Sunday's Osaka Meet than from actual stores. :rolleyes: Otherwise I'd recommend checking out specialist collectible stores like Mandarake, Animate etc., but even then it's pot luck. Although remember to bring your passport to these specialty stores as you can get tax-free discount prices if you do. :) I know that Mandarake and Hero Gangu will waive tax off the price of toys for overseas passport holders, not sure about others but it's worth a try. :o Oh, and some department stores are also tax-free for overseas passport holders. :cool:

I've never seen Transformers sell so well in Japan before. On the plus side it's a good sign that the franchise is doing very well, but the down side is that it makes toys harder to find. Many local fans are now just resorting to online shopping like Amazon JP rather than risking the frustration of brick and mortar store hunting.

kup
10th October 2016, 03:13 AM
Thanks for your help guys. At the shopping areas near the gundam cafe where the giant gundam is, i bought a few TFs at TrU at a general goods store. It wasn't the headmasters i was after but ok i guess since there appear to be slim pickings although pricey ones. Got Legends Blurr, Blackarachnia, slipstream and nightbird.

Eruntalon
17th October 2016, 01:56 PM
Going to Japan tomorrow night, leaving via Melbourne to Sydney then Haneda!

Jetfire in the sky
17th October 2016, 03:12 PM

Enjoy! It's an amazing country.

GoktimusPrime
17th October 2016, 11:49 PM
If you (or anyone else) are going to be meeting up with any TF fans in Japan, feel free to post pics/stories on the Japan Meetup 2016 thread (http://otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=23195). :)

Eruntalon
6th November 2016, 08:30 PM
I'm 3 weeks into my 5 week trip and I have Done Tokyo and Osaka.

I have been primarily looking at G1 toys and any printed materials and I can basically reiterate what everyone else has said;

For Tokyo - if you want tonnage just go to Nakano Broadway and the Mandarake/other stores there. There is either too little quantity, or what is available is of lesser quality in any other location including Akihabara.

For Osaka - Mandarake Grand Chaos is a good place for G1 (Mandarake Umeda is just for Manga, although there are a few Transformers Generations books there), as is Hero Gangu in Den Den Town. I did not go to Jungle as I was just too mentally overwhelmed and I have since left the city.

Pictures available on request.

GoktimusPrime
6th November 2016, 09:01 PM
Remember that you can haggle prices with the manager at Hero Gangu, although if you don't speak Japanese you will need to bring along someone who can (as staff do not speak English). You can get a better discount over the tax exemption that most places offer if you spend over 5000JPY and produce a non-Japanese passport.

Eruntalon: Have you been able to meet up with any fans in Japan? If so, feel free to post news/pics about it on the Japan Meetup 2016 thread (http://otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=23195) (and anyone else who may have done likewise is welcome to share on that thread too ;)). I always love socialising with other fans, and sometimes socialising with fans overseas can offer fresh insight which I otherwise may not come across with local meetups here (although I still enjoy those too :D). :) I did meet up with some anime fans in Tokyo but didn't post it on the thread since they weren't Transformers fans (I'm just keeping that thread about TF meets). :o

Eruntalon
6th November 2016, 09:07 PM
...Have you been able to meet up with any fans in Japan? If so, feel free to post news/pics about it on the Japan Meetup 2016 thread (http://otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=23195) ...

No I am sorry, I have been travelling around by myself and my itinerary is already too jam packed. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Megatran
6th November 2016, 09:14 PM
Pictures available on request.
Enjoy your trip. Pics would be much appreciated if it's not too much hassle.

Eruntalon
7th November 2016, 01:22 AM
Enjoy your trip. Pics would be much appreciated if it's not too much hassle.

Just a quick upload, descriptions are in image name:

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/eruntalon/library/Japan%20Transformers?sort=3&page=1

Bladestorm
13th November 2016, 09:00 PM
I'm 3 weeks into my 5 week trip and I have Done Tokyo and Osaka.

I have been primarily looking at G1 toys and any printed materials and I can basically reiterate what everyone else has said;

For Tokyo - if you want tonnage just go to Nakano Broadway and the Mandarake/other stores there. There is either too little quantity, or what is available is of lesser quality in any other location including Akihabara.

How much time would you recommend setting aside to go through Nakano Broadway? I'll be in Tokyo later this week but need to work out my Transformers hunting timeframe(and I know Manadrake Akihabara already but never got over to Nakano last visit).
Also anyone remember/know which Toys'r'Us there is the largest? Is it Ikebukuro?

Eruntalon
13th November 2016, 11:28 PM
How much time would you recommend setting aside to go through Nakano Broadway?...

Nakano Broadway consists of multiple shops on multiple floors all packed together. I was not able to visit all of them the day I went (I intend to go back in a few days before I leave the country) so I recommend at least 2 hours to properly look at the shops, I only gave myself about 1 hour after visiting The Ghibli Museum (same train line).

Bladestorm
14th November 2016, 12:02 AM
Nakano Broadway consists of multiple shops on multiple floors all packed together. I was not able to visit all of them the day I went (I intend to go back in a few days before I leave the country) so I recommend at least 2 hours to properly look at the shops, I only gave myself about 1 hour after visiting The Ghibli Museum (same train line).

Thanks for that. I'm going to assume it is something similar to In's Point or Sino Centre here in HK. Hopefully hubs won't mind too much being dragged around there for a couple of hours. ;)

Bidoofdude
7th January 2017, 10:20 PM
Hoping to go TF shopping at some point in the next month, hopefully at Akihabara. I've got my eye on the Specialist Autobots set, which there are quite a few of on the Mandarake website. Should I expect them to likely have the item in store at the complex? Do they have many items like United or Henkei in store, consistent with their site?

Any help is appreciated. I've had a look at the maps, so any further recommendations for those kind of figures would be cool.

Jetfire in the sky
8th January 2017, 11:16 AM
Hoping to go TF shopping at some point in the next month, hopefully at Akihabara. I've got my eye on the Specialist Autobots set, which there are quite a few of on the Mandarake website. Should I expect them to likely have the item in store at the complex? Do they have many items like United or Henkei in store, consistent with their site?

Any help is appreciated. I've had a look at the maps, so any further recommendations for those kind of figures would be cool.

I found the website to be a lot different to their stores, but it could still be good to use as a guide as to what might be on the shelves. I assume that what is on the website is not on the shelf, because it would be hard to keep up with inventory that way considering the size and quantity of their stores. Perhaps if you went in with your phone and showed them what you were after on their website page they could help you out.

Bidoofdude
8th January 2017, 12:48 PM
I found the website to be a lot different to their stores, but it could still be good to use as a guide as to what might be on the shelves. I assume that what is on the website is not on the shelf, because it would be hard to keep up with inventory that way considering the size and quantity of their stores. Perhaps if you went in with your phone and showed them what you were after on their website page they could help you out.

That's what I was thinking. Hopefully it's all good.

Ode to a Grasshopper
8th January 2017, 06:14 PM
For Osaka - Mandarake Grand Chaos is a good place for G1 (Mandarake Umeda is just for Manga, although there are a few Transformers Generations books there), as is Hero Gangu in Den Den Town. I did not go to Jungle as I was just too mentally overwhelmed and I have since left the city.Former resident of Osaka here...Mandarake Umeda does have a collectibles (including TFs) section, you just have to go up a floor from the manga section.
It's not quite as good as the one in Shinsaibashi, but it is there.:)

griffin
8th January 2017, 11:47 PM

Just be sure that you go to the top floor at Madarake (http://www.toycollectors.com.au/blog/hkjp7.html), as the Transformers toys are up there, and they would probably be best to know what you are after.
Just don't get too distracted with the two (yes, two) "adult" anime floors on the way up there. :p

The floor guide...
1 - Buying (bring in your own items to sell)
2 - Dolls
3 - Anime/Manga (comics)
4 - Mens erotica (hard core)
5 - Womens erotica (soft core)
6 - CD, DVD, computer games
7 - Toys (Cards, cars, Model kits)
8 - Toys (robots, action figures)

http://www.toycollectors.com.au/blog/b398.jpg

Red 1 is Madarake, while Red 2 is Toys Golden Age, and Red 3 is Liberty. At least, they were there in 2013.
The blue locations were various stores that may or may not have had some Transformers toys as well.
http://www.toycollectors.com.au/blog/b368.jpg

Bladestorm
9th January 2017, 05:38 PM

I was there (Akihabara store) in late november and didn't see any of the Specialist sets there but their products change so quickly you never know what goodies you'll find. They did have quite a bit of henkei stuff though.
On the top floor there are a couple of areas of Transformers so don't just look at the glorious goodness behind the glass cases... check out the WHOLE floor to find bit and pieces. Last time I was there they even had loose figures in plastic bags hanging on a display near the cashier too. Just don't pull out your phone or camera to take photos (or don't get caught) as they get REALLY stroppy and follow you around to stop you.

There is also a store on the street where you exit the train station heading in the direction of Manadrake on one of the corners of the first main road you come to that also has Transformers. Again - find the lift and jump on up to their (I think) top floor but look at the guide for the "robot" floor. The prices are inflated (compared to what I pay in HK) but they did have a good selection of boxed sets and recent MP's. Their ground floor is glass cabinets with figures from every anime/manga/mecha you can think of ... and again... no photos allowed but really nice to walk through.

Bidoofdude
12th January 2017, 08:15 PM
Planned out a little so far. At the moment I'm looking at going to the Mandarake Complex, Liberty #8 and JUNGLE for my Henkei/United needs. I have noted the help of a foreign passport seen earlier and that most stores are open from 12:00 to 8:00. Is there much else I am missing in terms of key info?

GoktimusPrime
12th January 2017, 08:26 PM
Mandarake staff tend to be rather quirky (probably because they recruit like minded collectors to work there, which is really good because the staff are passionate) so feel free to further practise your Japanese language skills by interacting with them on a more sociable level. :D Last time I was at a Mandarake I unleashed my powers of dead-pan sarcasm on the staff (two girls). A local Japanese TF fan was next to me as I was making my purchase.

Me> <produces AU passport to get tax exemption>
Staff 1> <takes my passport and fills out appropriate documents>
Staff 2> "Oh, you're not Japanese."
Me> "No, I'm Australian."
Staff 2> "But you speak Japanese very well."
Me> "Thanks, but his is better."
Staff 2> <looks over to Japanese TFan>
JTFan> "I'm Japanese."
Staff 2> <looks back at me>
Me> "No, seriously. He's very fluent."
Staff 2> <looks over to Japanese TFan>
JTFan> "Because I'm Japanese."
Staff 2> "He's Japanese."
Me> "And his Japanese is better than mine."
JTFan> "That's because I'm a native speaker."
Me> "I'm not wrong though."
:p

Bladestorm
13th January 2017, 05:18 PM
Planned out a little so far. At the moment I'm looking at going to the Mandarake Complex, Liberty #8 and JUNGLE for my Henkei/United needs. I have noted the help of a foreign passport seen earlier and that most stores are open from 12:00 to 8:00. Is there much else I am missing in terms of key info?

Foreign passport is useful (but it is only purchases over a certain amount you can do the tax exemption on). Just remember if you do use the tax exemption they seal your items and you can't open them until after you leave the country. If they random check at the airport and the items are open you have to pay the exemption back. I've never been checked personally, not even the receipts when they took them away, but always handy to be aware.

Bidoofdude
13th January 2017, 06:14 PM
Foreign passport is useful (but it is only purchases over a certain amount you can do the tax exemption on). Just remember if you do use the tax exemption they seal your items and you can't open them until after you leave the country. If they random check at the airport and the items are open you have to pay the exemption back. I've never been checked personally, not even the receipts when they took them away, but always handy to be aware.

Damn, that may pose a problem, since I'm probably going to have to lose the packaging due to weight issues. Is the tax amount usually very much?

Zippo
13th January 2017, 07:10 PM
Thanks for digging this up; it will be useful for my upcoming trip

Is it still mostly up to date?

And as I will also be heading to Singapore, is CSC still a thing?
Even though it looks like I wont be in Singapore on a Sunday this time around.

Bidoofdude
14th January 2017, 07:53 PM
Made my way to Liberty, Jungle and Mandarake. A lot of Masterpieces and a nice looking boxed slag. Henkei Astrotrain at Jungle for $60 or so, and the world's largest supply of Henkei Grimlocks. Liberty didn't have much. Mandarake had a nice selection from a lot of lines. Only the lesser sought after Henkei stuff and a decent amount of G1 stuff.

Bladestorm
14th January 2017, 07:54 PM
Damn, that may pose a problem, since I'm probably going to have to lose the packaging due to weight issues. Is the tax amount usually very much?

It depends on the store. Some will do it at 2000 Yen, others (and I think Manadrake is one of them) you need to spend more like 5000-6000 Yen minimum. Some stores don't do it at all and say to do it at the airport but I never found anywhere a the airport (in terminal 3 or 2 at Narita) where you could do it manually as the booth for the tax free redemption just collects the receipts that have been taped to your passport by the stores you already got the redemption from.

Bladestorm
14th January 2017, 08:01 PM
Thanks for digging this up; it will be useful for my upcoming trip

Is it still mostly up to date?

And as I will also be heading to Singapore, is CSC still a thing?
Even though it looks like I wont be in Singapore on a Sunday this time around.

I haven't been to Singapore in a while but price check before you go so you know what you're paying because it tends to be touted as the most expensive place to buy collectible toys in Asia these days... Last time I was there my son wanted a helicopter Drift (TF4) and it was NZ$36 more expensive than what I eventually paid in Hong Kong in a regular store (ie non-discounted). Can recommend some great food places if you want Hainan Chicken or Laksa there though. :)

Ode to a Grasshopper
13th February 2017, 01:04 AM
So, for everyone heading to Japan and planning on doing some TF shopping...try and make some time to check out Nagoya Mandarake and Jungle.
I've been doing some travel through Japan and Nagoya seems to be a forgotten treasure chest TF-wise. Better than anything in Tokyo selection-wise (possibly excluding Nakano Broadway) and only beaten by Hero Gangu (which is pretty pricey) in Osaka, the best prices I've seen in Japan so far, and definitely the places to go for 3rd party stuff in Japan. The 3P stuff isn't as affordable, but the range is the best I've seen.
Plus both stores are located in/around Osu, which is a pretty interesting little shopping district in its own right. A little bit of everything, kind of like a much smaller version of Osaka's Den Den Town and Shinsaibashi rolled into one. Also great if you're hankering for some international/non-Japanese food - the restaurants seem to be more focused on 'foreign' fare than most places I've been to. Fried chicken/karahage seems to be the local specialty.

Nagoya has a reputation in Japan for being boring/having nothing to do. But if you're a TF/anime fan, it's worth spending at least an afternoon looking around. :)

valkyrie_76
13th February 2017, 07:11 AM
So, for everyone heading to Japan and planning on doing some TF shopping...try and make some time to check out Nagoya Mandarake and Jungle.
I've been doing some travel through Japan and Nagoya seems to be a forgotten treasure chest TF-wise. Better than anything in Tokyo selection-wise (possibly excluding Nakano Broadway) and only beaten by Hero Gangu (which is pretty pricey) in Osaka, the best prices I've seen in Japan so far, and definitely the places to go for 3rd party stuff in Japan. The 3P stuff isn't as affordable, but the range is the best I've seen.
Plus both stores are located in/around Osu, which is a pretty interesting little shopping district in its own right. A little bit of everything, kind of like a much smaller version of Osaka's Den Den Town and Shinsaibashi rolled into one. Also great if you're hankering for some international/non-Japanese food - the restaurants seem to be more focused on 'foreign' fare than most places I've been to. Fried chicken/karahage seems to be the local specialty.

Nagoya has a reputation in Japan for being boring/having nothing to do. But if you're a TF/anime fan, it's worth spending at least an afternoon looking around. :)

Like every place, its a hit and miss with that place. Been there a few times and as Heroic Decepticon knows, you can find a diamond and other times you keep finding coal.

I have noticed there has been more G1 stuff being sold on Mandarake lately but that maybe the New Years and people want money for the plastic crack addiction.

Ode to a Grasshopper
13th February 2017, 12:01 PM
^^ True. Plus it IS the tail-end of Chinese Golden Week, so the more well-known stores will have been picked over more than usual.
Still, it's worth making a stopover on the way between Tokyo-Kansai/vice versa, and it is still definitely the most affordable of the branches I've been to.

Apparently there's a shrine that houses the famous 'Kusanagi' katana here too, if you're interested in katana/samurai swords. I'd like to go and see it, but I have other plans for now.

valkyrie_76
16th February 2017, 08:55 PM
^^ True. Plus it IS the tail-end of Chinese Golden Week, so the more well-known stores will have been picked over more than usual.
Still, it's worth making a stopover on the way between Tokyo-Kansai/vice versa, and it is still definitely the most affordable of the branches I've been to.

Apparently there's a shrine that houses the famous 'Kusanagi' katana here too, if you're interested in katana/samurai swords. I'd like to go and see it, but I have other plans for now.

Im glad to see your getting around other places than being stuck in Osaka. Also one of the advantages of being a tourist is the JR Railpass. I have hammered that many times and covered a great deal of Japan just riding on the JR system.

Also going back on the Mandarake plastic crack dens, Sapporo is a good place to visit if you are around and that has some good stuff too. Kokura is decent and Fukuoka used to be great but a lot of foreign buyers have cleaned that place out but saying that, I have bought an item for HD really cheap.

Ode to a Grasshopper
16th February 2017, 10:33 PM
Im glad to see your getting around other places than being stuck in Osaka. Also one of the advantages of being a tourist is the JR Railpass. I have hammered that many times and covered a great deal of Japan just riding on the JR system.

Also going back on the Mandarake plastic crack dens, Sapporo is a good place to visit if you are around and that has some good stuff too. Kokura is decent and Fukuoka used to be great but a lot of foreign buyers have cleaned that place out but saying that, I have bought an item for HD really cheap.Yeah, the 'see-Japan' stuff is long-overdue but well worth it. The past 2 weeks have been Tokyo-Hakone-Nagoya-Kobe/Hyogo. Hakone is amazingly beautiful, plus it has pirate-themed cruises on Lake Ashi/Ashinoko.:cool:

And yeah - if you're coming here and can manage it, the JR Passes are well worth getting. Much like the Hakone Free Pass it pretty much pays for itself, and then some. I imagine it'd be even better getting the regional-based JR Passes, but my plans are a bit loose atm so I've had to go for the general versions.

I'm planning a trip to see Nagasaki and Hiroshima before too long, so Kokura and Fukuoka should be doable. Cheers bra - I wouldn't have stopped over in Nagoya if not for your advice.:)

GoktimusPrime
16th February 2017, 11:41 PM
Yeah, the 'see-Japan' stuff is long-overdue but well worth it. The past 2 weeks have been Tokyo-Hakone-Nagoya-Kobe/Hyogo. Hakone is amazingly beautiful, plus it has pirate-themed cruises on Lake Ashi/Ashinoko.:cool:
Can confirm. :)
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Japan/Japan%202016/20160927_101912_zpsb8jorxjc.jpg

I'm planning a trip to see Nagasaki and Hiroshima before too long, so Kokura and Fukuoka should be doable.
I've only been to Hiroshima out of those places, but there are some really nice little restaurants near Hiroshima station! :D
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Japan/Japan%202016/20160929_140804_zpszvy9wxhf.jpg

valkyrie_76
17th February 2017, 07:37 AM
Yeah, the 'see-Japan' stuff is long-overdue but well worth it. The past 2 weeks have been Tokyo-Hakone-Nagoya-Kobe/Hyogo. Hakone is amazingly beautiful, plus it has pirate-themed cruises on Lake Ashi/Ashinoko.:cool:

And yeah - if you're coming here and can manage it, the JR Passes are well worth getting. Much like the Hakone Free Pass it pretty much pays for itself, and then some. I imagine it'd be even better getting the regional-based JR Passes, but my plans are a bit loose atm so I've had to go for the general versions.

I'm planning a trip to see Nagasaki and Hiroshima before too long, so Kokura and Fukuoka should be doable. Cheers bra - I wouldn't have stopped over in Nagoya if not for your advice.:)

Hiroshima is easy to get too but Nagasaki can and will take time as its two or three trains you have to take to get there but it is worth it. It took me 1 and a half hours to get there from Kokura if I remember correctly.

With the specific JRrail region passes, I wouldnt worry about that as they are slightly more expensive with less time but saying that, they are great if you are in one area for a few days, then its great but a normal 1-3 week JR pass is the best option.

Ode to a Grasshopper
17th February 2017, 02:30 PM
I'm researching it a bit now...from the looks of things, the easiest way seems to be to base myself in Fukuoka for a few days, taking day-trips to Nagasaki and Kokura. Fukuoka is located between the two, and seems to have the best concentration of hobby-shops in Kyushu.
After that, head to Hiroshima for another few days, do the Peace Memorial, maybe check out Miyajima if time allows, then back to Osaka.
It works out pretty well inasmuch as Kokura was the original target for the Fat Man bomb, and the main point of the trip is to see the atomic-bomb sites.

Apparently there's an issue with the region-specific passes for Kyushu, so the general pass is definitely the way to go.

valkyrie_76
17th February 2017, 10:09 PM
I'm researching it a bit now...from the looks of things, the easiest way seems to be to base myself in Fukuoka for a few days, taking day-trips to Nagasaki and Kokura. Fukuoka is located between the two, and seems to have the best concentration of hobby-shops in Kyushu.
After that, head to Hiroshima for another few days, do the Peace Memorial, maybe check out Miyajima if time allows, then back to Osaka.
It works out pretty well inasmuch as Kokura was the original target for the Fat Man bomb, and the main point of the trip is to see the atomic-bomb sites.

Apparently there's an issue with the region-specific passes for Kyushu, so the general pass is definitely the way to go.

Nagasaki is a day trip but Kokura can be done in half a day as most of the hobby shops are in one building and that is only less than 5 mins away from the station. Fukuoka does not have too much there, you might be thinking of Kokura. Miyajima is a day trip and while in Hiroshima, also look at the Yamato museum (about 1000yen to enter) and also the navy museum across the road as that is free to enter. The 1/10 scale of Yamato is pretty impressive. Also near the Hiroshima Peace park, there is a Yamada along the main street and a couple of small hobby shops (Yellow Sub and something else).

Ode to a Grasshopper
6th March 2017, 12:56 AM
Am in Hong Kong now.

Hong Kong island proper is barely worth the time TF-wise. A few box sets at Toys R Us, and of course they're MUCH more up to date in current stock/MPs etc than Oz, but no real bargains to be had and there's nothing you couldn't get just as easily and cheaply online.

Hong Kong itself is pretty interesting though, especially after 5 years in Japan. Something of an assault on the senses, in every way.

Will check out Kowloon over the next few days, starting Tuesday with Bladestorm playing TF tour guide.:)

Coincidentally, UML hobby on HK island has apparently closed down as of ~3 months ago.

Bladestorm
6th March 2017, 01:57 PM
Am in Hong Kong now.

Coincidentally, UML hobby on HK island has apparently closed down as of ~3 months ago.

UML closed down quite a while ago, as has animate in Wan Chai... and their Mong Kok stores haven't had any TF's my last few visits.

HK stores have a habit of changing, moving and disappearing rather quickly due to rent hikes unfortunately.

Jetfire in the sky
7th March 2017, 09:35 AM
Am in Hong Kong now.

Hong Kong island proper is barely worth the time TF-wise. A few box sets at Toys R Us, and of course they're MUCH more up to date in current stock/MPs etc than Oz, but no real bargains to be had and there's nothing you couldn't get just as easily and cheaply online.

Hong Kong itself is pretty interesting though, especially after 5 years in Japan. Something of an assault on the senses, in every way.

Will check out Kowloon over the next few days, starting Tuesday with Bladestorm playing TF tour guide.:)

Toy Zone in Tai Koo is the boss, definitely worth the train ride and then trying to find it in a random warehouse building.
http://www.toyzone.com.hk/index.php?route=common/home

Also Action Robo, who have ridiculously little opening hours.
http://www.actionrobo.com/index/

philby
28th March 2017, 08:13 PM
i know it is a limited edition thing but do you think many stores would have the Evangelion MP-10 figure around? How much do you think it would be on average?

Ode to a Grasshopper
28th March 2017, 08:25 PM
Toy Zone in Tai Koo is the boss, definitely worth the train ride and then trying to find it in a random warehouse building.
http://www.toyzone.com.hk/index.php?route=common/home

Also Action Robo, who have ridiculously little opening hours.
http://www.actionrobo.com/index/Actually, yeah...after Bladestorm showed me around I happily retract my 'Hong Kong Island proper = meh' appraisal.

Toy Zone in Tai Koo was great, as was Action Robo (albeit very much 3rd Party-focused).

Bladestorm
28th March 2017, 10:00 PM
i know it is a limited edition thing but do you think many stores would have the Evangelion MP-10 figure around? How much do you think it would be on average?

Rare but available in some stores.
Ranges in price from HK$3000 up and I've seen it in a few places. Hobbybase had him for HK$2999 when I was there yesterday.

Raider
4th July 2019, 11:42 PM
So I'm lucky enough to be off to Tokyo for the World Cup in October. Just wondering if anyone has been recently, whether the suggested locations in this thread are still current and if there is anything else cool worth looking into. Thanks.