PDA

View Full Version : How do I know BM isn't liked?

Verno
25th July 2011, 06:38 PM
Now, Beast Machines has had its fair share of bashers over the years...

And rightfully so :p

But how do I know BM isn't popular and is in no way comparable to Beast Wars?

Because there is/was no 10th Anniversary Beast Machines line.

:rolleyes:

Quickstrike
25th July 2011, 08:01 PM
Ok.

Edit: To add content. Damn fine show, that Beast Machines.

Gutsman Heavy
25th July 2011, 09:06 PM
Yeah, it was a good show. Not as good as beast wars, but better than rid, unicron trilogy & prime.

Firestorm
25th July 2011, 09:18 PM
I didnt mind Beast Machines, but Beast Wars was definatly OVER NINE THOUSAND times better than it

same goes for the toy lines

Sky Shadow
25th July 2011, 11:12 PM

Maybe there would have been one if the Beast Wars one hadn't shelfwarmed.

And weren't still shelfwarming five years later (http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-toy-discussion/420055-starting-confused-my-toys-r-us-shelfwarm-rant-2.html#post6216551).

Lord_Zed
25th July 2011, 11:16 PM
The show was fine.

I think the toys are to blame, are there any Beast Machines toys of main characters worth re-releasing? All the best toys were extras who never appeared in the show.

VERT
25th July 2011, 11:17 PM
Mesa Like BM :D BW BM same bloody thing :p :cool:

UltraMarginal
25th July 2011, 11:30 PM
I quite enjoyed Beast machines. I think in the grand scheme of Transformers, it was a bit left field with heavy religious overtones, which is probably why it hasn't been followed up with an anniversary line. But like mentioned above, the last anniversary line shelf warmed for a long time too. compared to how well the movie line and classics lines are selling, it might not be a priority right now.
Personally as much as I liked the show I'm not about to go and buy any figures from it, I just don't have the budget to spread that thin.

Hursticon
26th July 2011, 12:08 AM
Argh! - I don't even remember seeing the 10th Anniversary figures around my area... :(

From me, Beast Machines receives flack for a number of reasons:

It wasn't aired over here on Free-To-Air tv, as far as I know.
I had to 'watch' it via Canadian Real Media files that took a day to acquire via my glorious 56K Dial-up connection.
What I saw, which was produced in favour of my beloved Beast Wars, was visually unappealing to me.
It's narrative, whilst having an interesting direction, was peppered with contrasts that I'll merely label as 'things not required'.
A reliance on, "Runaway from the Copy-And-Paste Army!".
The toys displayed a scale, worse than what TFs were already known for.
I can think of less than 5 figures I'd consider to even be decent.
Supreme Cheetor & Nightscream.

What I don't understand is why if things weren't broken (Beast Wars) then why did they need to be fixed? :confused: - Clearly Beast Machines failed in that task and is why Hasbro went back with Trains, Planes and Auto-mobiles... :rolleyes:

In the end though, BM has it's place in the story of the development of this beloved franchise, but I think we can all agree that it doesn't come close to the Gloriousness of Lugnut. ;):D

Omega Supreme
26th July 2011, 08:09 AM
Like others I enjoyed the show, but the toys were a let down.

LordCyrusOmega
26th July 2011, 08:43 AM
Argh! - I don't even remember seeing the 10th Anniversary figures around my area... :(

They were around. I got mine from Target and Myers.

If you look at Beast Machines on it's own then it's quite good. I enjoyed it. It was a far cry from qnything i'd seen so far but it has it's merits. I don't have any of the toys yet but when I first saw them they did nothing for me.

I first read abou BM in a guidebook and was intrigued. The characters looked good and it seemed to have a strong story, good messages and well designed characters. Then I saw it and at first liked it. Then watched more and thought: "this isn't Transformers". Then I watched some more and if I ignored what I thought of as Transformers then I found myself enjoying it again.

So I say: Don't compare, just enjoy.

1orion2many
26th July 2011, 03:03 PM
Like others I enjoyed the show, but the toys were a let down.

Were they? I think they have some excellent toys in that line, Strika, Hammerstrike, Rat-Trap, Megatrons Head thingie which I know didn't come out uder BM but that's what it was based on so that's where I class it. I know it had it's lemons like Cheetor, Bat-Boy (Nightscream) mainly because his hip joint broke when I looked at it the wrong way on his first trip out of the Box:eek:. I definitely don't consider BM toys to be any worse than Animated but that's my preference;):)

Quickstrike
26th July 2011, 09:17 PM
Pretty much all of the Vehicons are great. Deluxe Jetstorm is one of my all time favourite toys.

bowspearer
28th August 2011, 03:02 AM
Bat-Boy (Nightscream) mainly because his hip joint broke when I looked at it the wrong way on his first trip out of the Box:eek:.

Weird, mine has never had that problem.

I actually enjoyed BM. Admittedly it fiddled with some things slightly (like the location of the Plasma Energy Chamber), but all in all it was really well pulled off with what they were going for with the storyline.

SkyWarp91
6th September 2011, 09:58 PM
It's funny, as a little kid with no knowledge of TFs I was given a BM Jetstorm for my birthday. Took me near a whole decade to really get back into Transformers toys. I wonder why :)

GoktimusPrime
24th September 2011, 10:47 AM

:rolleyes:

There's also no 10th Anniversary Robots In Disguise line, and that series was immensely popular (it inspired Binaltech/Alternators). :(

kup
26th September 2011, 10:57 AM
Maybe there would have been one if the Beast Wars one hadn't shelfwarmed.

And weren't still shelfwarming five years later (http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-toy-discussion/420055-starting-confused-my-toys-r-us-shelfwarm-rant-2.html#post6216551).

I actually had a hard time finding them; the only place that had them were over priced stores like David Jones. I collected all the ones released although some of the paint jobs were a bit off like Dinobot's 'spark blue'. Also Cheetor is made with noticeably thinner more 'translucent' plastic.

However Rhinox and Waspinator were pretty decent although the Japanese Rhinox is much better.

Verno
26th September 2011, 05:23 PM
I collected all the ones released although some of the paint jobs were a bit off like Dinobot's 'spark blue'. Also Cheetor is made with noticeably thinner more 'translucent' plastic.

However Rhinox and Waspinator were pretty decent although the Japanese Rhinox is much better.

I couldn't resist the Japanese versions, they're much better, and they put out a Blackarachnia and Tigatron.

Takara care, Hasbro are... stupid.

Aqua Prime
26th September 2011, 06:56 PM
There's also no 10th Anniversary Robots In Disguise line, and that series was immensely popular (it inspired Binaltech/Alternators). :(

I couldn't care less about a 10th Anniversary BM line personally, but give me some 10th Ann RiD love and I'll be on it like a Sharkticon :)

See even as a TF collector, nothing in that line really interests me, except for Primal Prime :p

Verno
26th September 2011, 06:59 PM
See even as a TF collector, nothing in that line really interests me, except for Primal Prime :p

And he's BW anyway! Woo! Beast Wars!

Aqua Prime
26th September 2011, 07:10 PM
And he's BW anyway! Woo! Beast Wars!

LOL I KNOW....

I barely like the Dragon Megatron. I had him packed up ready for my sale pile but couldn't commit to it. I think he's the only BM figure I have too. Actually I think I have both Primals too *shudders* I don't think they count as they came as part of a Prime lot I won a few years ago.

Dragon Megatron is and always will be TM2 Megatron. Yep even he's better then the RID incarnations.

Verno
26th September 2011, 07:19 PM
From an outsiders perspective, it seems the best BM toys were either:

A: Repaints from Beast Wars, as in Primal Prime

or B: Released under another line, as in Air Attack Optimus Primal coming out in RID.

Poor BM, I'll write you out of TF history when I get published :cool:

Hursticon
26th September 2011, 07:37 PM
All this talk about Beast Wars Dragons pleases me greatly. :D

Verno
26th September 2011, 07:43 PM
Cryotek, again, could have been released under BM. His story fits into the (poor) storyline of BM, but he's a mix of both A and B.

I've always liked the look of him though. Good colour-scheme.

Hursticon
26th September 2011, 07:50 PM
I've always liked the look of him though. Good colour-scheme.

Me too and I've been tempted to pick one up just to leave him in his Alt mode, as Megatron is in Bot mode ;), but also because rumour is bound that within the chest bubble of certain Cryotek's; resides the remnants of a disbanded gimmick... :eek:

I think the only figure I'd like to try and get would be the Red/Blue version of Megabolt Megatron, that giant ominous floating head of Megatron in BM was about the only thing that made me actively sit up and think: "Man, that's freaky and cool!" - In the entire show. :D

Verno
26th September 2011, 08:00 PM
Me too and I've been tempted to pick one up just to leave him in his Alt mode, as Megatron is in Bot mode ;), but also because rumour is bound that within the chest bubble of certain Cryotek's; resides the remnants of a disbanded gimmick... :eek:

What gimmick would that be?

Aqua Prime
26th September 2011, 08:00 PM

MMMMMM Dragons :)

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i128/sajica_2006/TF%20Collection/IMG_1296.jpg

Sadly I don't have a Cryotek liberated, so I can't tell you about any abandoned gimmicks he may or may not have.

One day I should acquire a Megabolt, just for the weirdness factor. I'll have to add a loose Cryotek to that list of wanted figures too.

I forgot that Air Attack wasn't a BM release, so I'm safe. Just imagine if we got Transtech as a release. Perhaps we'd all think differently of BM. Personally I can't stand Vehicons.

Verno
26th September 2011, 08:06 PM
Ooo, pretty.

I wonder if they fixed the neck gimmick on Cryotek. The clip to hold it straight was installed backwards on Megatron, hopefully they fixed it come Cryotek.

Hursticon
26th September 2011, 08:11 PM
MMMMMM Dragons :)

*snip*

http://i1032.photobucket.com/albums/a409/Darkone666au/Webpics/lordofthefiles_homer-drool.gif

Sadly I don't have a Cryotek liberated, so I can't tell you about any abandoned gimmicks he may or may not have.

Supposedly, and I mean supposedly, the chair and mini-figure (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Image:Cryotek_spark_avatar.JPG) of Megatron still resides in certain Cryoteks. ;)

One day I should acquire a Megabolt, just for the weirdness factor. I'll have to add a loose Cryotek to that list of wanted figures too.

Hmm... might have to keep my eyes open for these two too, I'll let you know if I find anything dude. ;):)

I forgot that Air Attack wasn't a BM release, so I'm safe. Just imagine if we got Transtech as a release. Perhaps we'd all think differently of BM. Personally I can't stand Vehicons.

Transtech... now there is a line that should see the light of day - Retcon it into the TF: Prime universe and we've got Beast Wars being relevant again! :D:D:D
(Oh, and it's ugly sister Beast Machines... Hurry up with that Publishing Verno! :p:D)

Verno
26th September 2011, 08:17 PM
Transtech... now there is a line that should see the light of day - Retcon it into the TF: Prime universe and we've got Beast Wars being relevant again! :D:D:D
(Oh, and it's ugly sister Beast Machines... Hurry up with that Publishing Verno! :p:D)

TransTech was all about progression and evolution, at least that was my take on it. G1 was stagnation in old technology, Beast Wars gave insight into the process of development, but TransTech was the pinnacle.

I'll get us there Hursty, don't worry. We can skip BM and still get there. I have a plan.

GoktimusPrime
26th September 2011, 08:22 PM
I couldn't resist the Japanese versions, they're much better, and they put out a Blackarachnia and Tigatron.

Takara care, Hasbro are... stupid.
+1. Hasbro's reissues would have sold better if they'd taken more care with it. The Telemocha reissues had a lot of appeal because they reissued a lot of the toys with more show-like colours. As kup pointed out, some of the Hasbro reissue repaints were just... randomly weird (like Dinobot's blue shield).

Reissues tend to sell better if they are:
1: Accurate to the original toy, or...
2: Resembles cartoon models.

...some of the changes that Hasbro made for their BW reissues achieved neither of these objectives, making the toys inaccurate to the original toys and the show models. Where's the appeal factor?? :/

Takara are generally better with dealing with reissues because they're usually more attentive and try to make the toys either look faithful to the original toy (e.g. TFC Hound, reissue Sixshot etc.), or like the cartoon (e.g. TFC Starscream, Encore Meister etc.). At other times Takara will make colour variations that are different from the original toy and cartoon appearance, but still help to enhance the look of the toy, e.g. face and eye paints on reissue Multi Force (as well as tampographed faction symbols), added colours inside Encore Sky Lynx's mouth, white replaced with silver on reissue Star Convoy etc. -- the repaints aren't just seemingly random like with some of Hasbro's reissues.

From an outsiders perspective, it seems the best BM toys were either:

A: Repaints from Beast Wars, as in Primal Prime

or B: Released under another line, as in Air Attack Optimus Primal coming out in RID.

Poor BM, I'll write you out of TF history when I get published :cool:

Some of the Vehicons were okay. Blackarachnia was also pretty well designed too (even though she only stands on 6 legs in beast mode). Most of the other Maximals were fail -- Nightscream was especially epic fail.

Yes, but keep in mind that Beast Machines Dragon Megatron is an entirely different toy from Beast Wars Dragon Megatron.

Pics for comparison:
BW Dragon Megatron (http://tfwiki.net/w2/images2/3/3b/BWdragonmegs_toy.jpg)
BM Dragon Megatron (http://tfwiki.net/w2/images2/5/5d/BMtoy-MegatronMega.jpg)
...as you can see, BM Megatron is a simplified version of BW TM2 Megatron -- much smaller too. The robot mode is about the size of a Basic (although bulkier because of the wingalings) but sold as a Mega (by today's standards it's like trying to sell a Scout or Commander as a Voyager). Riiight.

TM2 Megatron was also really hard to find here too - made hen's teeth look common. Plus he looks like Bomber Man. ;)

I think the only figure I'd like to try and get would be the Red/Blue version of Megabolt Megatron, that giant ominous floating head of Megatron in BM was about the only thing that made me actively sit up and think: "Man, that's freaky and cool!" - In the entire show. :D
Floating head with spider legs!! :D

Megabolt Megatron's robot mode is also tonnes gooderer than BM Megatron's; even the helmet is removable so he can look like either his "cloaked" robot mode or "open" robot mode (at least with the head) - well worth the Deluxe price point. Much better value than the Mega for sure. :)

Aqua Prime
26th September 2011, 08:33 PM
There's no comparison for BW Megs to BM Megs. I've loved dragons since I was a kid. Transforming dragons are just inherently cool for me. Looks at G1 Doublecross :)

I'd consider BM Megs to be more of a deluxe size personally Gok, but that's just me. Even without wings he's still larger then say Classics Bumblebee and basics such as energon arcee and the various combiner limbs.

Some of those Transtech molds looked smoking hot but it's a shame we won't get them.

GoktimusPrime
26th September 2011, 09:09 PM
I'd consider BM Megs to be more of a deluxe size personally Gok, but that's just me. Even without wings he's still larger then say Classics Bumblebee and basics such as energon arcee and the various combiner limbs.

Still not worth being sold at the Mega price point. :(