PDA

View Full Version : Toy Review - (Hasbro) MP Rodimus Prime

griffin
30th July 2011, 06:12 PM
(Please post comments, photos or even a fully comprehensive review - these are just brief details to start you off)

Toy Review - Rodimus Prime w/ Offshoot

Series - Masterpiece
Sub-line - none
Size/class - n/a
New/remould/redeco - New (for Hasbro)
Wave - n/a
Released here - July 2011 (ToysRUs exclusive)
Approximate Retail Price - AU$80 ($50 in US)
Approximate Size - 24cm
Allegiance - Autobot
Alt-mode - Cybertronian Sports car
Main Features/Gimmicks - Triplechanger (Hot Rod to Rodimus in robot mode), Offshoot (Targetmaster gun), Matrix, 2 arm attachments, binoculars, 2 Hot Rod guns combine to form Rodimus gun.
Main Colours - Red, orange, black, yellow.
Main Accessories - 2 combining guns, matrix, sawblade, welding torch, Offshoot.

Note - No trailer/weapons-unit accessory to convert (HotRod) Sports Car into (Rodimus) truck.

http://www.toycollectors.com.au/tftoys/excl2011a18.jpg

Review of the JP Version can be seen here (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=9979) for a comparison.

1AZRAEL1
31st July 2011, 11:00 AM
He also comes with a smaller matrix in his chest already, and you can't fit the bigger one in his chest. I hadn't realised he had 2 matrixs.

He also comes with a sticker sheet that has 2 stickers for his biceps to make him look more G1. Don't think the JP version came with that. There are a couple of other differences I noticed, such as the colour of the headlight's plastic and quite a few other paint apps differences.

Holds the guns fairly well, and no real QC issues on mine. Although you have to be careful with the leg panels, as they look like they would be pretty easy to snap if you are too rough with it.

I will go into more detail when I get home and have a play with him again. But well worth the $80 pricetag.

jena
31st July 2011, 11:19 AM
I need someone to get this for me! I'll start begging soon.

1AZRAEL1
31st July 2011, 11:22 AM
I need someone to get this for me! I'll start begging soon.

If someone can't get one for you locally, I will pick one up on Friday for you and post it to you if you like. Just let me know if someone gets you one by then.

jena
31st July 2011, 12:33 PM
If someone can't get one for you locally, I will pick one up on Friday for you and post it to you if you like. Just let me know if someone gets you one by then.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!! I appreciate it.

valkyrie_76
31st July 2011, 04:55 PM
I think that I might actually get this one. Looks good and has some decent gear to go with it.

Prowl
31st July 2011, 06:48 PM
Is this at all TRU stores at $80? I was at the one in Doncaster yesterday & they did not have any that I saw?

Paulbot
31st July 2011, 07:01 PM
Is this at all TRU stores at $80? I was at the one in Doncaster yesterday & they did not have any that I saw?
Apparently only one store has it so far.

k.wong23
31st July 2011, 09:39 PM
Yes let's keep our eyes peeled Melbournians.

TF76
31st July 2011, 10:43 PM
I should be able to get to a TRU every day except Tuesday this week, I'll post my findings. I'm really looking forward to getting one, I bet they will sell really fast. The stores I checked were both really stocked (maybe overstocked) with transformers so I really hope we see them soon.

1AZRAEL1
1st August 2011, 10:21 AM
Yea the TRU in Parramatta was stocked heavily with TF, they had a main display for DOTM figures, and I went to the shelves where they normally have em and bingo.

Just keep your eyes out, I know that if one store has it, the others are soon to follow. They will sell really quick at that price.

mknell
1st August 2011, 02:05 PM
Yea the TRU in Parramatta was stocked heavily with TF, they had a main display for DOTM figures, and I went to the shelves where they normally have em and bingo.

Just keep your eyes out, I know that if one store has it, the others are soon to follow. They will sell really quick at that price.

Yeah they are in the TF Isle, I grabbed one today 2 left now

SkyWarp91
2nd August 2011, 01:49 AM
So did this Hasbro release address the molding-problems as seen in the original MP-09 release?

1AZRAEL1
2nd August 2011, 08:17 AM
Yeah they are in the TF Isle, I grabbed one today 2 left now

Far out really? They are selling really quick.

jaina85
2nd August 2011, 01:29 PM
i was so excited to have found one of these this morning and now i have to return it because the left arm fell right off the moment i removed it from the packaging, the springy pin thing that goes into the grey piece that connects the arm to the body was rattling around, and the break was all jagged and nasty. sigh. something to look out for :(

kup
2nd August 2011, 03:04 PM
Far out really? They are selling really quick.

Much better than the movie leaders it seems. Hasbro should invest more in G1 related stuff and Classics.

So did this Hasbro release address the molding-problems as seen in the original MP-09 release?

From what I have seen in video reviews and such, it doesn't appear so :(

If it had fixed the design issues, I would have bought one.

JuzMel
2nd August 2011, 04:10 PM
Silly question, am I right to say this Hasbro version has no trailer while the Takara one has the trailer? Thanks. :o

SkyWarp91
2nd August 2011, 04:21 PM
Silly question, am I right to say this Hasbro version has no trailer while the Takara one has the trailer? Thanks. :o

There is no such thing as a stupid question :)

And you are right.

Paulbot
2nd August 2011, 04:35 PM

Despite the name on the packaging, I look at this as "Hot Rod" (targetmaster, Hot Rod toy colours) and the Takara one as "Rodimus" (trailer, Rodimus cartoon colours). That's my justification for getting both.

kaiden
2nd August 2011, 05:04 PM
anyone want to just sell me the targetmaster?

ITZTRU
2nd August 2011, 05:31 PM
Despite the name on the packaging, I look at this as "Hot Rod" (targetmaster, Hot Rod toy colours) and the Takara one as "Rodimus" (trailer, Rodimus cartoon colours). That's my justification for getting both.

this is EXACTLY my justification also...

VERT
2nd August 2011, 10:18 PM
And mine :D Going to look for one tomorrow. Hope they actually have some. Rare thing for my TRU

TF76
2nd August 2011, 10:46 PM
He is totally Hotrod not much of a Rodimus vibe. He is pretty cool, the leg panels pop off on mine and just a warning the red plasic stresses really easy. So be extra careful with the fists if you using the tools etc... I noticed just in time. Glad I got him.

Decepticon
2nd August 2011, 10:54 PM
Looks cheap and nasty. Like a KO. Shocking looking thing.

TF76
3rd August 2011, 12:42 AM
Nah I dont think it looks cheap at all. It looks like masterpice transformer quality, well it seems fine on mine, the paint apps are good too.

I look at it as more choice of material than quality, it's just hard plastic. Like lots of modern transformers bits always fall off in transformation, others may have no issues.

VERT
3rd August 2011, 12:10 PM
Well I just opened and transformed mine. I now have both versions. I found the pegs on the legs hold better in Car mode. Wish they chromed the engine and rims. Looks so different from the Takara version. Its all Hotrod TM. And I love the MP Targetmaster he is great. But whats the deal with the extra sticker sheet with Arm stickers and an Autobot and Con Symbol?

Prowl
3rd August 2011, 05:36 PM
Picked up MP hot Rod today. Not opened him yet so I can't comment but if you want one be quick about it because they won't last at this price.

ITZTRU
3rd August 2011, 06:52 PM
From what I have seen in video reviews and such, it doesn't appear so :(

If it had fixed the design issues, I would have bought one.

I haven't transformed my Hot Rod. I don't intend to either coz I don't actually play with my toys. But regarding the spoiler/backpack combo...it's not perfect..but it's a HELLLLLLL of a lot better than my takara. I dunno if it's just MY takara rodimus or not...but my Hasbro one is very good. My one actually plugs in and stays in. But when you start to play and fiddle...then yes, the back pack is prone to coming apart. Which isnt an issue for me anyway as, like I said...I only display my toys...not play with them.

ITZTRU
3rd August 2011, 06:53 PM
They look awesome displayed together I reckon too :)

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y267/ITZTRU/P8030394.jpg

Paulbot
4th August 2011, 12:32 PM
Is Sparks Firebolt Offshoot a brand new figure? Or is it an upscale/redeco of an existing Targetmaster/Minicon toy?

Lint
4th August 2011, 02:49 PM
http://i53.tinypic.com/2yocowx.jpg
http://i55.tinypic.com/o07ztx.jpg

This is a fantastic toy. There are no overbearing quality issues, the chrome is quite nice and he is a great figure to play with.

I don't own the Takara version but noticeable differences are:
-most of the mechanical problems seem to be fixed. The leg panels all line up and can lock into place in all modes, the hands are correctly assembled and can hold the guns, the chest panel locks in (could be tighter i suppose) and I have no trouble with 4 wheel locomotion. None of the joints are floppy so he is highly poseable.
-A much more Hot Rod accurate chest flame decal, as opposed to Takara's Rodimus Prime decal.
-they use a darker metallic grey for the hands and face etc which I prefer
-dark blue clear plastic for ALL clear plastic involving parts. Its great for the windshield and visor but not so much for the headlights and saw. Also there is a strip of blue plastic on the roof which looks sucky. Could have been painted over in red like in the Takara version.
-The engine block is painted silver instead of being chromed. This looks somewhat cheaper but I suppose is more practical as the silver paint is less likely to scratch during transformation. The rims are also not chromed and are just grey plastic.
-Hasbro version scrimps on a few paint apps/details here and there. What I noticed was the rear thrusters/lights and the forearms do not have painted details like the takara version. Also the chest flames are not outlined in black like the Takara version, but I prefer this design. Overall paint quality is good. I did notice that one side of the yellow spoiler is painted slightly more thoroughly than the other. Also the joint between the windshield and bonnet had a little bit of orange paint flaking off from mechanical wear.
-the leg panels are red and resemble the G1 toy which I prefer
-the dark grey/pewter colour for the rifle is very pretty and much better than the bland takara black. The red and blue highlights ruin it though.
-comes with Offshoot, who is the best and most articulate minicon/targetmaster class toy to date
-I think the Takara version uses much glossier plastic which gives that luxury vehicle look.
-Hasbro version comes with a welding tool attachment for his arm. Not sure if the Takara one had this? :confused:

Overall if you do not have the Takara version of this toy I recommend getting him now. He is a relative bargain at $80. Unless of course you are waiting for the redux of MP-09 from Takara and are a fan of Rodimus Prime.

If you do have the Takara version this toy doesn't add much value apart from Offshoot. However I reckon he is a much better Hot Rod and can be justified as a purchase for only this reason.

But whats the deal with the extra sticker sheet with Arm stickers and an Autobot and Con Symbol?

The arm stickers are sposed to give even more toy accuracy. The bot and con stickers I have no idea about. If anything they shoulda given us hipster/belt stickers.

Is Sparks Firebolt Offshoot a brand new figure? Or is it an upscale/redeco of an existing Targetmaster/Minicon toy?

Yes he is a brand new figure which far more articulation (head, arm, shoulder, elbow, knee, hips) than i've ever seen on a targetmaster/minicon toy. However there seems to be not that many ways to make a targetmaster :rolleyes:

Lordy
5th August 2011, 07:08 PM
Man this thing is a bugger with the final part of transforming from robot to car where you fold the hands up and pin the arms against the car. I just can't seem to line them up properly, and none of the videos on Youtube seem to be helping :(

SMHFConvoy
5th August 2011, 07:56 PM
Man this thing is a bugger with the final part of transforming from robot to car where you fold the hands up and pin the arms against the car. I just can't seem to line them up properly, and none of the videos on Youtube seem to be helping :(
I only found out by watching Peaugh's review that the fists shouldn't be clenched but folded around the forearm

Lint
5th August 2011, 08:05 PM
I only found out by watching Peaugh's review that the fists shouldn't be clenched but folded around the forearm

yeah I had to watch a vid too, the instructions didnt help at all and it was driving me up the wall.

VERT
5th August 2011, 09:15 PM
Yeah it does look like they have fixed alot of the problems. I have found that this Hotrod actually rolls unlike my Takara Version that drags the folded hip section.

Lordy
5th August 2011, 10:06 PM

Thank you, I will check it out :)

The Scream Man
6th August 2011, 04:49 PM
i got him today, and u guys are right; he's great. However, even after folding the hands over the arms i STILL couldn't get the arms to lock. Eventually I just slid the hands off and it all locked in.

I dunno what I'm doing wrong. It seems to be the ankle joints that are causing the problems; They block the hands, and the small flaps that o over them dont lock down right either. But i can't see how to do it differently.

kurdt_the_goat
6th August 2011, 05:52 PM
When you've got the feet into vehicle position, push your finger some more on the ankle joint so it clicks in another notch backwards, freeing up room for the hands. Even when you have one foot correct, and the other wrong, without really paying attention it's hard to see that they're in different positions! Doing this also aligns the base of the feet better (they should be parallel with each other)

Lint
6th August 2011, 07:52 PM
i got him today, and u guys are right; he's great. However, even after folding the hands over the arms i STILL couldn't get the arms to lock. Eventually I just slid the hands off and it all locked in.

I dunno what I'm doing wrong. It seems to be the ankle joints that are causing the problems; They block the hands, and the small flaps that o over them dont lock down right either. But i can't see how to do it differently.

What kurdt said is right, you cannot follow how the feet have been folded out in the instructional diagram. You must click back the ankle joint so that it gives maximum clearance for the hands.

The Scream Man
7th August 2011, 03:28 PM
Guys that helped A LOT thanks! i appreciate the help :)

nyerk
7th August 2011, 09:46 PM
For the people who already have this in hand, how would you describe the quality and colour of the plastic? Is it glossy rich red or appropriately masterpiecey, or that kinda dull red Hasbro uses sometimes?

Prowl
8th August 2011, 08:02 PM
For the people who already have this in hand, how would you describe the quality and colour of the plastic? Is it glossy rich red or appropriately masterpiecey, or that kinda dull red Hasbro uses sometimes?

I would say a flat red. I quite like it.

I think his alt mode whilst nice pretty much sux to transform neatly. That said Roddy looks fabulous in his bot mode & is the most poseable TF I have got.

LordCyrusOmega
8th August 2011, 10:18 PM
Picked mine up yesterday. Not bad. Instructions were of no help at all in transforming him. Going to have another crack to see if I can get him into alt mode later. Gave up last night.
Hot Rod to Rodimus Prime transformation while nice isn't required with this version as I don't think it works well without the trailer.
Offshoot is a welcome addition.
Overall worth the $80 I paid for him and the 2 hour train trip.

SharkyMcShark
13th August 2011, 05:42 PM
Yay, mine has an assembly error. Both the forearm pipes (which become the front exhaust pieces in car mode) are right sided, which is fine on the right side but makes the left side gappy, disjointed and asymmetrical.

Lucky I kept my receipt.

Tetsuwan Convoy
13th August 2011, 09:36 PM
Wheeee! Got mine today! love it to bits, a lot of teh Rodimus issues are sorted out and aside from some messing about with placement of his feet, he feels pretty damn fine!!

After working out where those stickers were supposed to go, I slapped them on. They look pretty good in robot mode, however they are also visible in vehicle mode. Hmm, not too sure I like that as it takes your view away from the flames as they sit right next to them on the side of the bonnet.

Hmmm, to take off because of the vehicle mode, or leave on for robot mode.. (which he will probably spend most of his time as.

the Targetmaster is pretty awesome I have to say! I just wished he clipped together a bit more solidly and looked less like a box with some barrels sticking out the front.

Despite these minor quibbles, I say get one. Even if you have Rodimus Convoy, you can now have Rodimus Prime and Hot Rod standing next to each other, in a time destroying pose!

Or like the Commodore 64 game...:rolleyes:

SharkyMcShark
14th August 2011, 11:34 AM
I've (not yet anyway) had any of the QC issues that have been reported. Aside from the exhaust pipe factory error everything fits together well and nothing scrapes on the floor when its in car mode. It poses well and is nicely proportioned, and I love the targetmaster.

Criticisms

The vehicle mode is a bit gappy and doesn't look very sleek.

The arms can't support the weight of the guns (specifically the joints that make up his elbow)

I feel the way the shin plates lock to the underside of the car could lead to long term stress (I feel that I'm stretching them into position basically).

Overall: Nice, definitely worth the $80. Use kid gloves when playing with it.

Tetsuwan Convoy
14th August 2011, 02:28 PM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k313/Wootnchoo/13082011001.jpg

Target Master FTW!

So awesome!

Verno
14th August 2011, 04:18 PM
They look awesome displayed together I reckon too :)

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y267/ITZTRU/P8030394.jpg

My goodness the Takara one looks horrible!

I'm not into the Masterpiece guys, but the Hasbro one is far superior looking, which seems almost counter-intuitive from what I know of TF toys.

LordCyrusOmega
14th August 2011, 06:06 PM
Finally, after days of frustration, I got him into car mode properly. Now I like him.

Lint
14th August 2011, 07:37 PM
The arms can't support the weight of the guns (specifically the joints that make up his elbow)

I was going to call this too but upon transforming him back into bot mode I found that the elbows magically worked. I think rodimus was packaged with the elbows jigged in the 'slack' position. You should try playing around with his elbows to see if they will work for you.

Sky Shadow
14th August 2011, 07:47 PM
Despite these minor quibbles, I say get one. Even if you have Rodimus Convoy, you can now have Rodimus Prime and Hot Rod standing next to each other, in a time destroying pose!

Or like the Commodore 64 game...:rolleyes:

Or the 1986 boxart. Until the Movie came out that Christmas, I assumed they were brothers. :o

liegeprime
14th August 2011, 07:58 PM
I want interested in the MP Rodimus Convoy one but was kindly given one so I'm thankful for that, but yeah, it's not what I expected for an MP toy. So one version for me will be enough. Though it's good that TRU imported and is selling the toy locally when no other shops did.

1AZRAEL1
15th August 2011, 06:42 PM
Gok and I have discovered why the Hasbro version holds the gun better. It's not the hands fault, it's the guns. The plugs on the guns are not as long on Takara version. So that has been fixed up on the Hasbro version at least. Gok has photos to post of that.

jena
18th August 2011, 09:34 AM
Sorry if this has been asked already, but I got my Rodimus on Tuesday, I haven't transformed him yet but I'm wondering where those extra stickers go??

I haven't had the time to play around with it much but the first thing I did was switch his face to the Hot Rod face rather than the Rodimus face because I'm just pretending he's Hot Rod, not Rodimus.

One of his leg panels seems to be a tad loose but I don't really care, he looks awesome.

Blurrprimecoolboz2008
19th August 2011, 12:50 AM
very nice paint scheme

Tetsuwan Convoy
19th August 2011, 05:18 PM
Sorry if this has been asked already, but I got my Rodimus on Tuesday, I haven't transformed him yet but I'm wondering where those extra stickers go??

I haven't had the time to play around with it much but the first thing I did was switch his face to the Hot Rod face rather than the Rodimus face because I'm just pretending he's Hot Rod, not Rodimus.

One of his leg panels seems to be a tad loose but I don't really care, he looks awesome.

The stripey ones are for his Bicep area, but they stick out quite a bit in robot mode. The Autobot/Decepticon ones? Your guess is as good as mine...
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k313/Wootnchoo/hot_rod_targetmaster_1212928649.jpg

Have a look at them thar shoulders

jena
19th August 2011, 10:36 PM
The stripey ones are for his Bicep area, but they stick out quite a bit in robot mode. The Autobot/Decepticon ones? Your guess is as good as mine...
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k313/Wootnchoo/hot_rod_targetmaster_1212928649.jpg

Have a look at them thar shoulders

Thanks for answering my question, now I just need to decide if I want to stick them on or not. Decisions, decisions.

Tetsuwan Convoy
20th August 2011, 01:28 PM
Thanks for answering my question, now I just need to decide if I want to stick them on or not. Decisions, decisions.
You're welcome. Just be aware the vehicle mode doesn't hide the shoulder stickers like it does on the G1 version.

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k313/Wootnchoo/13082011001.jpg

I am thinking of taking them off mine, as I don't like them in vehicle mode. They look OK in robot mode though, but I dont think Rodimus has them. Hmm, but thats fine for me I guess as I ahve the Jap one as Prime and this guy as Hot Rod.

jena
20th August 2011, 02:41 PM
I am pretending mine is Hot Rod rather than Rodimus, so I might leave them off. Thanks for the advice.

TheFallen
3rd July 2012, 12:11 PM
I picked up one of these yesterday from TRU. It was on sale for $60 and I am very happy with paying that price, especially considering I only wanted Offshoot.

This was my first Transformers purchase since Classics Wheeljack and Thundercracker over a year ago. I thought I was done with Transformers but Masterpiece Soundwave has reignited my passion for this property.

I decided to open it last night after work and I felt like a first time transformer..ah...er? I was honestly struggling to get it in to car mode. Firstly, getting the leg panels in place didn't seem to make sense at first a I didn't think that s the correct transformation and I certainly didn't want to break the tabs.

Then there were the issues with getting the arms in correctly. I initially gave up and put Hot Rod aside but my OCD wouldn't let me leave it alone so I kept trying until I got it.

Overall, I am pretty happy with it, especially the cost. Now I will wait anxiously for Optimus Prime and my MP Sideswipe

Trent
3rd July 2012, 03:20 PM
Peaugh's YouTube review is great for showing how to transform him properly. Can't link to it right now as I'm on the iPhone.

i_amtrunks
3rd July 2012, 05:08 PM
I voted no.

Mostly because the left arm on mine somehow broke while sitting in a display cabinet. I believe the gun (resting most of its weight on the ground) is what caused the arm to snap.

Hasbro QC wins again.

GoktimusPrime
3rd July 2012, 07:55 PM
Yeah, I also initially had difficulty getting the arms in properly too. I watched a video review and that sorted it out. :)