PDA

View Full Version : Do you like where the Transformers franchise is heading?

primatives
4th August 2011, 02:59 PM
Hey guys, so I just watched the reboot of the new Thundercats series and man am I impressed at what I saw - thought the show was fantastic! So much so that I watched it twice and can't wait for the new episodes to be released. I am very excited about this show.

I can't say the same with Transformers franchise - I have been disappointed with EVERY series after G1 except maybe Beast Wars and Beast Machines. Even the movies weren't good (looks-wise). When I thought about it, it occurred to me that I only went to see the movies because they bore the name "Transformers" and I can't say that I feel excited about Transformers if it weren't for the G1 reissues and the classicsverse releases of the toys.

With regards to TF:Prime again I find myself 'only' watching it because it's Transformers but if I'm honest, the show is bad.

I suspect that I am part of the minority and that there are probably others that like all the other series and movies. I also know that a brand new fanbase has been created with the release of the movies who would disagree with me about the old G1 series being better.

I just can't help but feel disappointed and only wish there was a reboot of a cartoon series that stays close to the G1 cartoon. I find myself trying to get a G1 kick from comics but its not the same as a TV series. I wish Transformers can excite me as much as this new Thundercats series.

What do you think?

LordCyrusOmega
4th August 2011, 04:22 PM
While I've liked most of whats come since G1 I have been dissapointed in the movies. While they were good they didn't really feel like transformers to me.

I am dissapointed by the short life the toys series have. By the time they grow on me and I get the fever they dissappear off the shelves.

Paulbot
4th August 2011, 04:41 PM
Maybe the Transformers #81 comics might be the G1 type of content you're after? But if you never read the G1 comics at the same time you were watching the cartoon, it might not be G1 cartoon-y enough for you.

I don't care much for the Prime series, but I know that in another year or two and a new series will start.

mentok27
4th August 2011, 07:11 PM
Im all about the IDW mainline comics and Classics style figs..... Im loving em.

Decepticon
4th August 2011, 07:54 PM
I'm all for the movie stuff, generations, Prime etc. G1 stuff these days are sooo brick like these days. I have all the G1 TV episodes and a G1 Soundwave and they are enough! The future of TFs is exciting!

AUTOBOTS........Reboot and modernize!!!

Tober
5th August 2011, 12:45 AM
Animated was a breath of fresh air at least.

Transformers = 'Optimus Prime Vs Megatron', rinse, repeat... don't forget to buy the toys.

The_Damned
5th August 2011, 08:53 AM
yes i do i love tranformers prime and was dissapointed when they canned animated, also love the newer updates of the older figures.

UltraMarginal
5th August 2011, 01:56 PM
I do at the moment,

I have enjoyed the movies for what they are, even though there have been a lot of issues with them, they have made Hasbro soooo much money and developed so much fan momentum that it practically guarantees there will be more movies and more transformers for years to come.

Maybe more of that will be more closely G1 inspired. Though I don't need it to be completely, no change in the long term becomes stagnant and boring. I'm not saying G1 is boring, it's what I grew up with and they are for sure my favorite characters.

I am loving the new G1 inspired toys, they look great in both modes and the engineering is fantastic. as much as I can't see it happening, I'd love to see HasTak attempt things like the Hercules third party toys. they would be able to do at least as good a job engineering wise and they ought to be able to do it alot cheaper.

though I am just getting the trades, I am very much enjoying most of the comics coming out at the moment too.

TF:Prime is really enjoyable to me, some of the episodes are a little flat but others have great character growth, there is more to it than just Autobots Vs Decepticons, it looks very pretty, the fight scenes are visceral and the character models/ toy designs look very exciting.

they have pretty much guaranteed at least 3 seasons of prime already, so hopefully it will go for a few more. I think it has the potential to be great.

I really think we are in a golden age of Transformers at the moment.

My 2c, or so.

1orion2many
5th August 2011, 02:42 PM
I'm not a big fan of the movies, Animated I could do without, Prime I haven't seen enough of to make a decision. I enjoyed RID which I think most people here will Pooh Pooh but I could be wrong and Armada I haven't seen. Beast Machines was alright but not fantastic, would this series have been greeted more warmly if it was before Beast Wars? Beast Wars as far as I'm concerned was the best series by far, I thoroughly enjoyed the whole series from start to finish. G1 was Iconic as it set the wheels in motion, Aged and dated by todays standard yes but still enjoyable to watch. In the end I don't think Transformers is less enjoyable it's just they have gone a different direction and not everyone agrees where it's heading, unfortunately I may be one of them but I'm easily swayed:D