PDA

View Full Version : Senility

1orion2many
5th August 2011, 11:15 AM
This is happening to me quite a lot lately, I seem to be buying things twice without realising. I put it down to having things on lay-buy for so long that I forget what is there, I see something when I have a little spare cash and buy it, then later complete my lay-buy to find out I have doubled up:o. My latest discovery was last night I was trying to find Darkmount only to come across a second SkullGrin I didn't know I had(Generations or whatever it's called, Too many series:rolleyes:). My biggest discovery(not really a double up, well sort of) was when I was digging around in my room looking for something only to come across Encore Omega SUpreme, I knew I had bought Gadep(Blue recolour) but didn't remember buying the normal coloured encore as I already have the original G1 version. Anyone else going this loopy:D

Kyle
5th August 2011, 11:42 AM
I was with you when you bought your Skullgrin from Big W Armadale... :o

jaydisc
5th August 2011, 11:46 AM
I'm a relentless collection databaser (http://itfdb.com/), but I recently also realized I had this issue, where I had a few multiples of a toy I thought I only had one of. In my case, it was Universe Legends Starscream (Animated style).

I suspect there are three reasons for this:

1. It's because I hadn't opened it yet. I think greater familiarity would have arisen had I played with the toy.

2. Age, and thus, senility.

3. I forgot the third.

Shirokaze
5th August 2011, 12:10 PM
You're either getting too old or it could be the sheer volume of toys that are being released under different lines with so many repaints. Because we totally needed another repaint of Classics Bumblebee as Bumblebee in a different shade of yellow in a line that wasn't Classics but is basically the same line while the line that was basically meant to be the continuation of Classics was on the shelves alongside it.... just as an example :p

1AZRAEL1
5th August 2011, 12:16 PM
You're either getting too old or it could be the sheer volume of toys that are being released under different lines with so many repaints. Because we totally needed another repaint of Classics Bumblebee as Bumblebee in a different shade of yellow in a line that wasn't Classics but is basically the same line while the line that was basically meant to be the continuation of Classics was on the shelves alongside it.... just as an example :p

My brain hurts reading that :p

Golden Phoenix
5th August 2011, 12:18 PM
It isn't really on topic, but the image of a balding old man playing with Transformers and enjoying it makes me giggle.

Tallestblue
5th August 2011, 01:09 PM
"Good news everyone! I have doubles of my Generations toys!"

UltraMarginal
5th August 2011, 01:47 PM
I have caught myself nearly buying things that I already have, especially when I've ordered it online and then it turns up on shelves here before I recieve my order.

1orion2many
5th August 2011, 02:18 PM
It isn't really on topic, but the image of a balding old man playing with Transformers and enjoying it makes me giggle.

I have a full head of hair:p:D

UltraMarginal
5th August 2011, 02:45 PM
I have a full head of hair:p:D

so do I but it's got a fair few grays in there..:eek:

Zippo
5th August 2011, 02:57 PM
I generally know what I have with Transformers, so the only time I get doubles is if I want doubles OR I see something locally just after importing it and the import hasn't yet arrived.

Hot Wheels on the other hand - I get doubles and triples ALL the time as I can never remember what I have when I see a new case.

griffin
5th August 2011, 02:59 PM
I did that twice this year at BotCon - buying something I already had, or had in transit (which meant I had only just recently bought it, so should have remembered it :eek: ).

loophole
5th August 2011, 05:12 PM
I haven't bought doubles of toys at least accidentally anyway.... but i have done this with my spiderman comics a few times now, i look at the cover and think oh i don't have this one but i actually do so nowadays i keep a list on me at all time.
Although i still manage to double up sometimes with the newer comics as my list is only for the vintage stuff.

UltraMarginal
5th August 2011, 05:46 PM
I haven't bought doubles of toys at least accidentally anyway.... but i have done this with my spiderman comics a few times now, i look at the cover and think oh i don't have this one but i actually do so nowadays i keep a list on me at all time.
Although i still manage to double up sometimes with the newer comics as my list is only for the vintage stuff.

I've done the same with Phantom Comics, left it for a couple months, gone in and bought a bunch, get home and there's an overlap in what I bought and already have. Now I keep a note on my phone with the latest issue number that I need to start picking up from.

Deonasis
5th August 2011, 06:02 PM
Sounds like you have toys in the attic and some of them are broken!! :eek:
Best hand over the keys to your collection :D

LordCyrusOmega
5th August 2011, 09:56 PM
I don't really forget things. My memory went a bit loopy after a head injury earlier this year but it seems to be correcting itself now.

swoop
5th August 2011, 10:27 PM
I always forget if its the clear or black ehobby hot rod that I have but apart from that I don't have any real difficulty remembering what I have in my collection.
Although I have come close to doubling up on some of the movie legends toys, most of the repaints are so similar its easy to forget what you have

tinyJazz
5th August 2011, 11:15 PM
I'm a bit like Jay, I document all my tfs in a spreadsheet so I don't usually have this problem. :/ I also keep a "wants list" and "ordered list" updated on my phone so I can check while I'm out. Also I can get worried if something on my ordered list isn't turning up in the mail, or CROSS IT OUT when it does arrive - it's so satisfying! :p

"Good news everyone! I have doubles of my Generations toys!"
http://i709.photobucket.com/albums/ww93/tinyJazz/farnsworth.jpg

1orion2many
7th August 2011, 05:58 PM
I'm too lazy to keep track of everything, I suppose I should. I can always look on the bright side, I'll have plenty of sealed doubles to sell later on down the track:D

bowspearer
8th August 2011, 05:07 PM
Not so much buying but with stuff in transit- several times I'll forget what I hve in transit, only to have a package turn up, open it up and go "Oh yeah, that's right, forgot that was coming".

JuzMel
9th August 2011, 11:11 AM
Hehe I don't think you're the only one 1orion2many, happens to most of us here! :D

I sometimes look at the a TF and wonder, "Hey that looks new, have I got that yet?" But usually what helps me is that I take photo of every acquisition the moment I get home and post on my TF acquis album on photobucket. And so whenever I have doubts, I'll just check the album and have a look.

But somehow I do have a slightest memory of it if I have already gotten it. Those that I forget are usually the overseas purchases. With lay-by's you kinda can't help it. That item might already be on lay-by but if you see it cheaper elsewhere, just get it first, complete the lay-by and refund the more expensive one I guess.

1AZRAEL1
9th August 2011, 11:15 AM
With Transformers, I usually know what I have, except if I buy G1 stuff, then see sometimes I do double up. But more where my senility comes is when I buy DVDs. I keep thinking, have I got that one yet? I still don't know if I have bought Iron Man 2 yet, nearly keep picking it up when I go to the shops :o

Seraphim Prime
10th August 2011, 04:37 PM
I don't have the issue with TFs, unless I have intentionally bought more than 1 (Generations Scourge). However I do have this issue when it comes to DVDs and books, because I've bought it knowing it's good, and haven't got round to reading/watching it when I decide to buy it elsewhere because I know its good. :)

Tetsuwan Convoy
11th August 2011, 01:16 AM
Not so much buying but with stuff in transit- several times I'll forget what I hve in transit, only to have a package turn up, open it up and go "Oh yeah, that's right, forgot that was coming".

And you get a pleasent surprise!:D

I didnt think I had much of a problem, but sometimes I have thought I ordered something and it turns out I didn't...:o