PDA

View Full Version : Rise of the Planet of the Apes

kup
7th August 2011, 02:55 PM
Saw the movie and it was fantastic! Easily the best movie I have seen this year.

It has heart, they respected the source material, it was plot and character driven. You actually felt for the characters and were absorbed into the plot, I didn't want the movie to end.

I won't go into any more or I will begin to tell spoilers but I'll say this:

Remember that old almost forgotten feeling of coming out of a movie theater feeling truly satisfied with no reservations? This is it. You don't spend time trying to explain shoddy editing or direction on why something happen in the plot or film. There is no need to as the whole movie narrative is really well put together making you feel as if you have seen something artistic not commercial.

The people behind the movie truly cared about what they were doing and it shows, it wasn't just a money grab using a well known franchise but a truly creative effort.

I am watching it again and it's a certain buy when it comes out on DVD.

1AZRAEL1
7th August 2011, 03:00 PM
Glad you liked it, I am looking forward to seeing it, just don't know if I will get to before it leaves the cinemas. Hopefully.

SkyWarp91
7th August 2011, 03:03 PM
I think this movie was done well in how the plot was told as well as having in-depth characters like Caesar, but it just fell short of awe-inspiring for me. I wasn't really moved by it. It just seemed 'been-there done that' with what becomes of Caesar's character. I have seen the original Planet of the Apes (1968 film) and as campy as that was I felt it had more impact as it explored what it would be if we humans were enslaved by the species that we kept in zoos and in circuses.

Then again, to each their own.

Hursticon
7th August 2011, 03:07 PM
Much like Azrael, I too am looking forward to seeing this as I have ever since I was shown the 1st Trailer. :cool:
I personally do not care for the not too long ago remake but this one shows quite a bit more promise - Hopefully I'll get to see it before it hits DVD. :o

Is this in 2D or 3D? - I'd personally like to see it in 2D as 3D to me is rather meh...

kup
7th August 2011, 03:18 PM
I saw it in 2D. Don't know if there is a 3D offering however the film seems unsuitable for that medium as it's very character and plot driven.

I also didn't care about Burton's movie. Apparently that movie was closer to the book which is very unusual as that means that the original 1968 movie is actually better than the book it was based from.

I really enjoyed it, I am more hyped after watching it than before. Very refreshing to see a movie that is plot and character driven than just a series of lame nonsensical action scenes strung together with no regard to narrative.

Gutsman Heavy
7th August 2011, 07:59 PM
It's very good, and not in 3D as far as I know (the cinema I went to didn't have 3D screenings for it)

KaRNiV8L PRiME
7th August 2011, 09:47 PM
I loved this movie and no it's not in 3D. Very character driven. Great special effects, Best movie of the year. Oh and wait 2 min after the credits start to roll.

Gutsman Heavy
8th August 2011, 12:19 AM
I loved this movie and no it's not in 3D. Very character driven. Great special effects, Best movie of the year. Oh and wait 2 min after the credits start to roll.

hmmm, thinks I may have missed that, details pls

kup
8th August 2011, 01:59 AM
hmmm, thinks I may have missed that, details pls

SPOILERS...

It shows that the neighbor is an airline pilot and happens to be infected with the drug which is lethal to humans. He is on his way to the airport and then after that the credit rolls showing the virus spreading internationally as a result - It is implied that this is what ends up wiping out much of humanity allowing the Apes to 'rise'.

Gutsman Heavy
8th August 2011, 05:36 PM
ah didn't miss that :)

*whew*

EVERYONE SEE THIS FILM IT'S TEH AWESOME!

Defcon
8th August 2011, 06:56 PM
I say this is a worthwhile movie to watch. I really enjoyed it. In the cinema I was in, it was only half full. At the end a group of people gave an applause, and as the credits rolled, everyone that were already leaving stopped to see the last scene. Normally if it was an average movie alot of people would just keep moving to the exit.

I enjoyed all the characters in the story. The apes in particular were great as I could feel for them. In the end I felt sad, as if this movie could of been based on a true real life story. I just found it so believable.

KillinSpoon
11th August 2011, 09:17 AM
This movie is awesome! Definitely worth a watch :D
People clapped after I saw it also, goddd I hate people that do that!

gantz
11th August 2011, 10:12 AM
But KS.....

http://files.sharenator.com/slow_clap_I_dont_care-s500x371-139710-580.png

Makes me cringe!

How good is John Lithgow?!

SkyWarp91
11th August 2011, 02:38 PM
People clapped after I saw it also, goddd I hate people that do that!

What are you? Rocco Botte?

VERT
11th August 2011, 11:51 PM
This movie is awesome! And no cheap 3D crap. Just a good solid movie.

5FDP
16th August 2011, 11:19 AM
Watch it on Sunday night and I agree that it is a very good movie. The CGI was absolutely amazing and will make you believe that apes can really talk.

tron07
18th August 2011, 12:17 PM
Saw it last Thursday, it was a good movie.

Few area that does not make sense.
Spoiler. Dont read if you havent watch yet.

The fat guy that got dosed by the virus, should he seek medical attention or call the doctor or the man who develope the virus instead of running to his house and banging on his door? And it took him 2 days before going to seek attention? if he is a normal guy who got dosed, then it would still be acceptable, but he is working with the virus and all. The virus was delivered via air, shouldnt they take more precautions?

The chimp can so easilly break and run amok in the facilities in the begining of the show. they are messing with virus and bacteria, shouldnt the facilities be more secure then that? Thin layer of glass walls and doors, thats it?

Grievous
3rd September 2011, 03:42 PM
Wow...this movie was kick ass!

I've never seen any of the "Planet of the Apes" films
or TV series...but being an old school fan of King Kong
and Mighty Joe Young...once I saw the trailer...I knew
I had to see this film...and it did not disappoint.

:D

kup
20th September 2011, 01:13 PM
Don't mess with Caesar (http://vimeo.com/24965808)

canofwhoopass_87
20th September 2011, 03:24 PM
Agree. I'm not a particularly huge fan of the franchise and haven't seen any of the previous movies/series but have a rough understanding of the universe thanks to one "Troy McClure" and a few dancing apes from the memorable Simpsons episode.

This was truly a spectacular movie, outstanding in every sense. I almost missed the final short cutscene during the credit roll - I felt this was pretty integral to the story but (now that I think about it) might be a precursor to a sequel?