PDA

View Full Version : FrenzyRumble's Sludge for Sleeve.

Sleeve
9th August 2011, 02:20 PM
Back in October/November I commissioned a custom figure with FrenzyRumble. I had only two requirements - character was Sludge, and use the Generations Darkmount mold. The rest of creative control I left up to him. I think his work speaks louder than words.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y233/Mulla_21/Sludge1.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y233/Mulla_21/Sludge2.jpg

More photos here. (http://www.flickr.com/photos/accardi1/sets/72157627385300678/)

bowspearer
9th August 2011, 03:15 PM
The copper probably should be more gold, but all in all that looks amazing. The metalised paint job on it actually makes it look like a solid metal recast/scratchbuilt.

PrimulArchangel
9th August 2011, 03:17 PM
looks pretty nice , any chance of seeing some pics without the black background and stuff that he uses for all his pics ? I would really like to see it without that to see the details better :)

rampagesss
9th August 2011, 03:24 PM
Looks awesome! Do you mind telling us how much it cost?

Paulbot
9th August 2011, 03:49 PM
A victory for the Digibash thread (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?p=198553#post198553)! ;)

It was a great idea and the final product is very nice. Congrats

Sleeve
9th August 2011, 04:27 PM
Cost me $250, and was worth every cent. I'll be sure to take some of my own photos when it arrives.

A victory for the Digibash thread (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?p=198553#post198553)! ;)

Thanks again for that. Really helped give me an idea of what to expect.

gdmetro
9th August 2011, 05:26 PM
That looks so nice! :D

Hursticon
9th August 2011, 08:26 PM
Congratulations Sleeve, that is an awesome custom by an awesome customiser - Money well spent in my opinion dude. :eek::cool:

rampagesss
10th August 2011, 02:45 PM
Cost me $250, and was worth every cent. I'll be sure to take some of my own photos when it arrives.

Thanks again for that. Really helped give me an idea of what to expect.

Just think how much you could get for it on ebay :D
Saw he thread over on TFW lots positive feedback on him, people seem to like it, and most people want more Dinobots

UltraMarginal
10th August 2011, 02:55 PM
that is truly a thing of beauty, pity there aren't quite enoigh other vehicles (in my mind) in the generations line up yet that could be well suited to the rest of the dinobots. Overall the group would look incredible if tey all took that quality and level of inspiration.

well commisioned sir.

Sleeve
10th August 2011, 05:12 PM
that is truly a thing of beauty, pity there aren't quite enoigh other vehicles (in my mind) in the generations line up yet that could be well suited to the rest of the dinobots. Overall the group would look incredible if tey all took that quality and level of inspiration.

well commisioned sir.

That's what I'm planning now. I'm trying my hand at painting so have been planning molds to fit the other four Dinobots. Snarl and Slag are locked in, Grimlock is pretty much sorted too, but Swoop has been giving me some issues. I'm aiming for only having to repaint and not kitbash, and keeping everyone in size comparison, so Swoop is causing grief.

Obviously the four I paint won't hold a candle next to Sludge and FR's work though, but it may compel me to do my own repaint of him too.

UltraMarginal
10th August 2011, 05:19 PM
That's what I'm planning now. I'm trying my hand at painting so have been planning molds to fit the other four Dinobots. Snarl and Slag are locked in, Grimlock is pretty much sorted too, but Swoop has been giving me some issues. I'm aiming for only having to repaint and not kitbash, and keeping everyone in size comparison, so Swoop is causing grief.

Obviously the four I paint won't hold a candle next to Sludge and FR's work though, but it may compel me to do my own repaint of him too.

terradive.

Sleeve
10th August 2011, 05:25 PM
terradive.

Too big. Sludge and Grimlock I'm going for deluxe, so Snarl and Slag are scouts. Swoop needs to be a scout or smaller, so I was thinking Cyberverse commander as legend is too small unless I can find a perfectly suited legend. The choices I have for him are RotF Skystalker/Sunspot or DotM Powerglide.

I was looking at the new basic SWTF Obi-Wan the other day and thought he'd be a good choice for a WFC-style Swoop, but the theme I'm going for is Earth-mode.

UltraMarginal
10th August 2011, 06:01 PM
Too big. Sludge and Grimlock I'm going for deluxe, so Snarl and Slag are scouts. Swoop needs to be a scout or smaller, so I was thinking Cyberverse commander as legend is too small unless I can find a perfectly suited legend. The choices I have for him are RotF Skystalker/Sunspot or DotM Powerglide.

I was looking at the new basic SWTF Obi-Wan the other day and thought he'd be a good choice for a WFC-style Swoop, but the theme I'm going for is Earth-mode.

Well, I thnk skystalker is a better fit then, but to be honest, I would have expected all of them to be deluxe size, I've always pictured the dinobots as a large team of large guys. swoop had a lower profile than the others due to his alr mode but his robot mode was as tall as the average I thought. another option is to use universe onslaught as Grimlock... but now I'm opening a can of worms for you so I'll just stop.:o

M-bot
10th August 2011, 06:42 PM
The choices I have for him are RotF Skystalker/Sunspot or DotM Powerglide.

I'd vote for Sunspot here. Not sure if Powerglide's the right fit or scale. Sunspot's head is on a ball joint, so you may be able to use an alternate head rather than the odd-looking one he has.
I'd also vote for Sunspot rather than Skystalker, if you have a choice, as the Skystalker's darker colours may be more difficult to paint over than Sunspot's white and yellow.

Sleeve
10th August 2011, 07:47 PM
Well, I thnk skystalker is a better fit then, but to be honest, I would have expected all of them to be deluxe size, I've always pictured the dinobots as a large team of large guys. swoop had a lower profile than the others due to his alr mode but his robot mode was as tall as the average I thought. another option is to use universe onslaught as Grimlock... but now I'm opening a can of worms for you so I'll just stop.:o

I'll most likely display them together but with no other figures, so I'm looking more for the scale between each team member than in comparison to the other figures in my collection. I'd love to be able to do them all as deluxe class and bigger, but this seems to fit more for me.

I'm working with the scale that Sludge is biggest, then Grimlock's a little shorter, then Slag and Snarl both shorter but same height as each other, then lastly Swoop who is a little shorter again. Like this guide that Paulbot found for me:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y233/Mulla_21/Size.jpg

I'd vote for Sunspot here. Not sure if Powerglide's the right fit or scale. Sunspot's head is on a ball joint, so you may be able to use an alternate head rather than the odd-looking one he has.
I'd also vote for Sunspot rather than Skystalker, if you have a choice, as the Skystalker's darker colours may be more difficult to paint over than Sunspot's white and yellow.

I'm going with all military vehicles, and I figured Powerglide's alternate form fit better in the whole scheme. But Skystalker/Sunspot could still work well if I can find a suitable head, especially as his legs flip down and can 'swoop' up prey.

And the colour choice doesn't really matter either as I'm priming the pieces. It's a shame I can't find Krylon Fusion anywhere, because I'd love to be able to do a full base coat in black in one hit. Instead I've had to use a grey spray primer and then paint on the black base with a brush.

I've taught myself to digibash (rudimentarily), and this is an idea of what I'm currently in the process of doing. Any guesses? :p

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y233/Mulla_21/SnarlDigi.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y233/Mulla_21/SnarlDigiAlt1.jpg

UltraMarginal
10th August 2011, 09:07 PM
Probably slag or Snarl I guess:p

The size comparison chart is cool, I've always just thought more along the lines of the g1 toys as that's pretty much been my only exposure, I can see where your going though, and I think it's going to be very good, even if we do differ on a scale opinion.:cool:

Sleeve
10th August 2011, 09:09 PM
Probably slag or Snarl I guess:p

The size comparison chart is cool, I've always just thought more along the lines of the g1 toys as that's pretty much been my only exposure, I can see where your going though, and I think it's going to be very good, even if we do differ on a scale opinion.:cool:

Snarl. :p I was going to make this mold into an original character, but once I noticed it had a lot of places that could be solar panels I changed it.

Slag is going to be from United Rumble/Frenzy, or once the Hasbro Demolition Rumble is hopefully released so a hell of a lot cheaper. When I first saw the mold it screamed Slag to me, three horns and all.

iceburn
11th August 2011, 02:04 AM
swoop for minicon size?

Sleeve
11th August 2011, 11:53 AM
swoop for minicon size?

I'd thought of that but I figured it may be a bit too small. I also thought Legends G1 Starscream, but I'm also trying to keep alt modes in proportion to each other, so a tiny jet next to an APC didn't work for me. I'm really leaning towards Skystalker/Sunspot, because to me the spy drone alt seems to be best in comparitive size.

i_amtrunks
11th August 2011, 04:22 PM
Sunspot will be the way to go, not sure what other heads you could use that may still fit on the peg and look good in alt mode. I know you want to limit the modding as much as possible, but perhaps a little putty to civer the front of the face and allow you to paint eyes on would be a small enough job?

My local Woolies was selling off HftD basics for $10 if you need one. lmk.

Paulbot
11th August 2011, 04:34 PM
I've taught myself to digibash (rudimentarily), and this is an idea of what I'm currently in the process of doing. Any guesses? :p

The digibashes look good to me. Look forward to seeing how Snarl and the rest turn out and good luck with the decision on which toy to use for Swoop. I think Skystalker's robot mode and vehicle mode are better fits if you can swap out a head from another scout.

Deonasis
11th August 2011, 06:11 PM
Awesome Sleeve! Sludge looks great and I like you idea of military dinobots. Other moulds to consider are the Hailstorm mould or PCC Skyhammer.

F_r probably mixed his paints but did he give you paint colour/brand details so you could colour match?

Sleeve
11th August 2011, 09:08 PM
I just posed this in the Pic Request thread too. Damn multiple threads. :p

I was just at Woolies and they had a Sunspot for $10, so I picked him up. I was surprised how much I now love the figure, because from pictures he didn't really interest me that much. It was good to find his wings in robot mode can me positioned a number of ways, so I can get a real Swoop vide out of him. I worked out where I could paint some eyes too, and I'm thinking a head swap probably won't be necessary. He'll be the only one I do without a G1-ish face, but I can live with that.

loophole
11th August 2011, 09:29 PM
you know what i reckon a universe dropshot would make a good Sludge myself. but from the looks of it you have a very awesome Sludge anyways ;) Sludge was always my favourite dinobot i just wish he got more screen time in the cartoon

Sleeve
11th August 2011, 09:58 PM
you know what i reckon a universe dropshot would make a good Sludge myself. but from the looks of it you have a very awesome Sludge anyways ;) Sludge was always my favourite dinobot i just wish he got more screen time in the cartoon

I've seen Cybertron Defence Scattorshot / Universe Countdown done as Sludge, but the mold just never sat right with me.

And you and I both on the favourite front, except mine extends to favourite TF. Think of your love for Stunticons. ;) I had all the artists at Botcon '09 do a pic for me, even including our own tinyjazz, but I've always wanted another figure and have been disappointed that there was only one, except the unofficial WST. Hence the commission.

loophole
11th August 2011, 10:01 PM
I've seen Cybertron Defence Scattorshot / Universe Countdown done as Sludge, but the mold just never sat right with me.

And you and I both on the favourite front, except mine extends to favourite TF. Think of your love for Stunticons. ;) I had all the artists at Botcon '09 do a pic for me, even including our own tinyjazz, but I've always wanted another figure and have been disappointed that there was only one, except the unofficial WST. Hence the commission.

I would love to see some pics of those commissions if you were so kind

Sleeve
11th August 2011, 10:16 PM
I would love to see some pics of those commissions if you were so kind

For sure. I had them all on Facebook but to it seems have deleted all my albums. I'll track down the scans and load them up.

janda the red
12th August 2011, 01:07 PM
congrats sleeve...

thats one knarly looking custom... i'm surprised at what it cost, i was expecting it to be more than that.

nice.

janda :)

Deonasis
5th November 2011, 12:41 AM
In honor of your Sludge..

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radicons-customs/485228-magnum-opus-wait-whats-penguin-got-do-transf-oh-right.html

theheretic
5th November 2011, 12:14 PM
That sluge is sooo nice! Damn I want one. $250 from F_R isn't too bad at all. Expensive if you want all the Dinobots though. I'm sure you could sell this figure for more in eBay but I would be keeping it if I was in your position.