PDA

View Full Version : Knock Off G1 accurate Astrotrain and Blitzwing released (more on the way)

canofwhoopass_87
29th August 2011, 07:39 AM
Just a heads up on recent and upcoming knock off releases to be wary of guys

Besides the massive influx of "G1 accurate" combiner giftsets,

Astrotrain - http://highendtfs.com/?q=node/54

Blitzwing - http://highendtfs.com/?q=node/55

Recent releases

* Bluestreak (no box yet / only available loose)
* Blue Slag (Diaclone version)
* Red Slag (red face?)
* Blue Swoop(Diaclone version)
* Gold Wing Swoop

Coming soon

* Computron
* Abominus
* Japanese Dino cassettes and Slamdance and Squawkbox

Hursticon
29th August 2011, 08:42 AM
Bloody hell!
All I need is Astrotrain... :mad:

gamblor916
29th August 2011, 08:55 AM
I guess it's time to stop collecting G1. I have most of what I want and hope Encore fills in the gaps.

Hursticon
29th August 2011, 09:07 AM
I guess it's time to stop collecting G1. I have most of what I want and hope Encore fills in the gaps.

With the amount of KOs already out there and the many that are certain to come, one would have t be forgiven for considering that Gamblor... Sucks though that that has to even be said huh?

1orion2many
29th August 2011, 11:14 AM
I'm lucky in the fact that what I'm missing in G1 hasn't been KO'ed yet from what I can recall but it's only a matter of time:(

Sharky
29th August 2011, 11:24 AM
I'm lucky in the fact that what I'm missing in G1 hasn't been KO'ed yet from what I can recall but it's only a matter of time:(

this is true for me to.. with a fair few pretenders and actionmasters and micromasters missing from my collection i can hope that i still have time to hunt these down... I am not a big fan of knock offs but those dino cassettes are tempting

griffin
29th August 2011, 11:37 AM
Do other action figure lines have this problem? Are there people producing counterfeit Vintage Star Wars or GIJoe toys in packaging? Or any 20+ year old toyline really?
Is Transformers the one toyline that is going to be actually end up depreciating in value soon if fakes start outnumbering real toys, and are virtually impossible to differentiate?

1orion2many
29th August 2011, 04:20 PM
I don't think it's impossible but it is getting harder with every knock off that is produced and unfortunately this will reduce the second hand market as the last thing you want to happen is to spend 3K on your Holy Grail only to find out it's a $200 knock off.

bowspearer
29th August 2011, 05:22 PM
Unfortunately it does seem to be just transformers from what I've encountered, but then I could be wrong about that. You have to wonder when this will reach a point where it's wortb Hastak's while to sue.

Decepticon
29th August 2011, 07:21 PM
I'm so glad I'm not interested in G1 toys these days (apart from my Soundwave and Blitzwing).It's a real dodgy market out there. Unsure if it's a good or bad thing that there are alot of KOs around.

liegeprime
29th August 2011, 10:22 PM
Thanks goodness Im done (almost) with G1 Just need Overlord..... I don't see that figure getting KO version anytime soon, so I think It's still ok and safe. TBH though, Im really tempted to get those Dinocassettes as I will NEVER have the funds or the luck to get originals :(:(....:o:o:o Oh well back to ze basement foe me...... funny that come to think of it, it's just Tfs which are getting KOed this days, hmmmm . I for one collect other toys, but so far no KOs encountered for the likes of DCUC, MOTU etc...

kup
29th August 2011, 11:00 PM
Does it happen with Barbie? I ask because it is the only other toy line that I can think of that would have a large sizable collector market.

If it happens with other toy lines with a large collector base then it's not just Transformers but the demand for vintage toys that stimulates the creation of KOs.

Hursticon
30th August 2011, 08:05 AM
Does it happen with Barbie? I ask because it is the only other toy line that I can think of that would have a large sizable collector market.

This is a very interesting question actually Kup, as it would seem to me that logistically Barbie would be an easier product to KO than Transformers would. :cool:
It would, theoretically, be more enticing to KO Barbie as she has, to my understanding, a far larger collector base too...

Intriguing indeed. ;)

Reflector
30th August 2011, 08:20 AM
Thanks goodness Im done (almost) with G1 Just need Overlord..... I don't see that figure getting KO version anytime soon, so I think It's still ok and safe. TBH though, Im really tempted to get those Dinocassettes as I will NEVER have the funds or the luck to get originals :(:(....:o:o:o Oh well back to ze basement foe me...... funny that come to think of it, it's just Tfs which are getting KOed this days, hmmmm . I for one collect other toys, but so far no KOs encountered for the likes of DCUC, MOTU etc...

just out of curiosity what are those cassettes worth??

canofwhoopass_87
30th August 2011, 08:59 AM
I believe repro/KO Star Wars + GI Joe parts are a huge problem. I'd say (generally speaking) the guns, parts and accessories which come with these lines are much smaller and easier to produce than Transformers.

liegeprime
30th August 2011, 09:06 AM
just out of curiosity what are those cassettes worth??

Well the individual dino cassettes easily reach more than $500 each on ebay, since these are Jap exclusives and was never mass marketed for worldwide fan consumption and are very hard to come by. :( Heroic Decepticon should be able to answer this more accurately as he has been able to buy the originals.. from Japan no less.... sigh if I had such disposable income to throw around, I'd prolly do so myself.:o

As for Barbie... isnt there like dozens of those cheap looking barbiesque dolls you might see on dollar shops and even toy stores, BUT those are really easy to spot as NOT Barbie and quality wise at a glance alone will definitely tell you, NOT worth a dollar to spend on. Most of the products fro Barbie would be erm ... doll clothing, right (?), anyone who can sew and has a sewing machine can do those clothes anyways :p unlike the specialized accessories for TFs

griffin
30th August 2011, 01:09 PM
So basically, Transformers is the only toy or action figure line that has pirated PACKAGED figures, designed to pass off as the real thing to the untrained eye?

5FDP
30th August 2011, 01:15 PM
So basically, Transformers is the only toy or action figure line that has pirated PACKAGED figures, designed to pass off as the real thing to the untrained eye?

I believe that there has been a number of LOTR toys that have been KO'd including their packaging.

Arcee
30th August 2011, 09:41 PM
Still vividly remember my first TF toy was a KO...and that was 23 years ago!!!! Their history is as long as TF exists...

Honestly, if not for these detailed posts and photos I won't be able to tell the difference at all :(

Really time to stop collection G1? I barely just started!

canofwhoopass_87
31st August 2011, 08:27 AM

Interesting question. I found this on ebay. Guess we're not alone...

[edit] Just realised - this is probably a reissue not a repro :p

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Wars-Figure-Repro-1980-1982-Dengar-FREE-SHIPPING-/190487352669?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c59ee555d

Still vividly remember my first TF toy was a KO...and that was 23 years ago!!!! Their history is as long as TF exists...

Honestly, if not for these detailed posts and photos I won't be able to tell the difference at all :(

Really time to stop collection G1? I barely just started!

Nah you shouldn't stop collecting G1 just because of a few new knock offs. With readily available advice from us otca members (5FDP in particular :p) and resources such as www.highendtfs.com, there's always ways around each and every high quality G1 knock off that's been released.

liegeprime
31st August 2011, 08:50 AM
Whoopy is right Arcee, you shouldn't stop collecting G1s. Just be very careful and you have the forum to help you in detecting the fakes before you buy. Only a couple so far has been KOed anyways... the lots of toys from the line that haven't been as of yet - UltraMagnus, Hotrod, Kup, Blurr, Galvatron, Deluxe Insecticons, Headmasters, Targetmasters, micromasters.... quite a lot still so getting G1 is still feasible and doable especially if your not after boxed or sealed ones, for sealed or boxed ones just keep track of the ones already KO'd and best to go for the Takara booktype release or ask forum members and check it on that website for Highend KOs hehehe:D

I for one have seen the KOs in the flesh(plastic) when I was in Phils, while the look is quite similar, there's a certain "lightness" (albeit minimal) to the feel and touch of the plastic - I had a look at a KO Sharkticon... tempting for army building , but the price is as much as an original, so nope.

Lint
31st August 2011, 02:02 PM

No I do vividly remember recieving multiple KO ninja turtles figures in (admittedly poor) repro packaging back in the 90's. I still have donatello!

They didn't fool the kids because they never could replicate the rubbery plastic on the figures properly but they certainly fooled undiscerning adults. However the brown weapons/accessories and black rubber belts were almost perfect reproductions!

I think transformers are the most lucrative toyline for KO manufacturers given the huge market and ease of reproduction.

1orion2many
31st August 2011, 04:33 PM
:confused:I would have thought Star Wars would have a bigger fan base:confused:

liegeprime
31st August 2011, 04:39 PM
:confused:I would have thought Star Wars would have a bigger fan base:confused:

I thought so too, but with all the figures for the toyline being "out there" (no unmade character ehrm animated Omega Supreme) and easy to get (not shortpacked like TFs) I guess it is more lucrative to do TFs.