PDA

View Full Version : other half & transformers

Autocon
20th May 2008, 10:29 PM
what does your other half think about your tf collecting (obsessing)

have ur r/ships failed bcoz of it?

discuss

roller
20th May 2008, 10:32 PM
my ex wife said it was one of the top 3 reasons why she left

the other 2 being my constant fascination with golf

and my non stop singing of the 'Battle of New Orleans' song

i just couldn't stop:(

Hey! This aint banjo players anonimous!!!

jumps through the sky light

Autocon
20th May 2008, 10:33 PM
EDIT - wrong section

Epic Fail haha

Pulse
20th May 2008, 11:11 PM
Only one of my Ex's has liked TFs from the beginning (Her exact word was "Cool!" & grabbed the closest one of the shelf for a bit of a fiddle :D).

The other Ex's knew exactly what type of nutcase I am when they met me - therefore fully expecting nutcases like myself to be into things like TFs (Don't ya know TFs & Whackjobs go together extremely well :p).

TFs have never been the sole cause of the ending of any of my past relationships - It's not like I was spending their money on my TFs.

You'd think some girls would think you needed to "grow up" eventually but... Everyone has their thing (One of my Ex's was obsessive/compulsive over Scrapbooking for chrissakes :confused:) & if TFs or any other hobby were to come between some girl demanding you give them up for her (Yes, they can be that egocentric) then she's definitely not worth your time.

From my personal experience anyway... :)

STL
20th May 2008, 11:15 PM
My present gf is the only one whos ever known. She's pretty cool w/ it though i knew it bugged her when I first surprised her. She would've never made the connection. I've been pretty private it till about early last year. Even a close mates of mine weren't aware for a llong time.

Borgeman
20th May 2008, 11:16 PM
doesnt like, but deals with it :o

George

STL
20th May 2008, 11:18 PM

George
Better than Magnus then. ;)

iceburn
20th May 2008, 11:23 PM
didnt quite know what and why i was collecting these toys in the past
came to better understand them better and have now claimed half of my present collection as "hers"

she's slowly contributing and deals with my obsession frequently....
never grumbled as far as i know

Fungal Infection
21st May 2008, 12:12 AM
My wife just accepts it. As long as I prioritise between my collecting and my wife and daughter, she's happy to keep plodding along like its no big deal. When we first started dating, I took her to a TRU to search for TFs and she actually purchased them for me as a gift. She was slightly shocked that I still collected toys but after I showed her pics of other people's collections, she's softened her stance on my collecting. She does still make the occasional "are you going to keep collecting forever?", but then again, I buy her anything she wants and let her buy anything she wants so she lets me buy what I want. Its win-win. :)

i_amtrunks
21st May 2008, 09:22 AM
My gf is pretty good with the collection, she thinks the figures are pretty cool, but doesn't care much for the shows or characters.

Sometimes she gets a bit 'meh' with the collection, and tells me I shouldn't be getting so much (usually when weeks of stuff arrives all at once, like after the Parra fair) but most of the time she's really good, goes out hunting with me, goes hunting for me, and even buys me figures for presents!

Best of all her friends think that the collection is cool as well, so she doesnt have to deal with any of her friends being catty about them.

Paulbot
21st May 2008, 10:29 AM
Well I'm chronically single but I hope that the TF obsession is not to blame (otherwise, sob, so long TFs!). But I think I would end up with someone who had either one or two TF toys or watched the show as a kid, since most guys did. And I would have no issue with a Star Wars/Star Trek/BSG/Dr Who/MOTU/etc geek.

Robzy
21st May 2008, 10:35 AM
Man - From the sounds of things, I'm pretty lucky...My gf is really great about it! :D She probably doesn't understand the TF thing, but she has her own hobbies so she gets it in general! (Besides, I don't just collect TFs and she quite likes the other figures I have)

She goes toy hunting with me and for me. She's spent ages secretly tracking down figures as presents for me over the years too! She's great! :)

And to top it off, she also went and saw the movie 3 times with me last year... not bad for someone who's not really a fan of either TFs or Michael Bay ;)

Better than Magnus then. ;)
:D:D

Pulse
21st May 2008, 10:52 AM
usually when weeks of stuff arrives all at once, like after the Parra fair...

A couple of years ago, There was this one week when something like 3 packages arrived (it was a total coincidence) & by the time the 3rd one showed up, An extremely angry threat was made to completely destroy it...

The very next day, I went & got me a Post Office Box and since then every TF purchase I've made has been sent to it (Even though that particular Ex has long been shown the door :)).

Firecracker
21st May 2008, 10:52 AM
My Wife is great about my hobby... when she worked in retail she would look out for the latest assortments and occasionly bring something home she knew I wanted. She was very against me selling my collection, especially my Alternators (sadly it needed to happen). Even now, while we stuggle financially she doesn't begrudge me the occasional purchase. :) She knows I won't go overboard. :p

sanbot
21st May 2008, 02:04 PM
My ex used to play with my transformers, she even made sound effects sometimes haha

Alas, the break up had nothing to do with transformers.

Gutsman Heavy
21st May 2008, 02:26 PM
My Partner is cool with my collection, she even gives them a go every once in a while, managed to transform Animated Bumblebee into his alt with out too much hassle, not bad for a TF noobie (I was having an awesome panic attack, as I do when she touches my TFs :))

Golden Phoenix
21st May 2008, 04:28 PM
My girlfriend was kind of worried about it at first. She thought that I would pick them over her. She was right but....jk
I had to explain that it was something to me. She is alright with it now. She doesn't like me spending so much money on Transformers and my other hobbies. I causally fix the problem by taking her out when I get some Transformers. It's a win-win-lose situations with the only loser being my wallet.....

TheDirtyDigger
21st May 2008, 06:33 PM
My woman had no idea why I liked them at first and thought I was some sort of freakish man-child (perish the thought).
Her attitude has improved as she has learnt the value of them and, being a pretty materialistic person like she is, appreciated the decent sum of cash I have made from them.

roller
21st May 2008, 06:41 PM
my 3rd wife said "Its either me or Optimus Prime!!!"

suffice it to say, i chose Prime...and i stand by my decision

k.wong23
21st May 2008, 07:27 PM
My girlfriend is fine with it, she buys clothes, I buy transformers and clothes occasionally. Wallet = empty. But she's great she even asked to keep one in her room. I gave her Alternators nemesis prime...I fear she has it to blackmail me if I do anything wrong :(

I also go clothes shopping with her, and there is always a Target or TRU somewhere so she comes with me :D

kurdt_the_goat
21st May 2008, 07:33 PM
I think the only reason my wife lets me buy toys is because I convinced her they'll be worth a fortune if I die before she does :)

autobreadticon
21st May 2008, 07:34 PM
One of my female couzins said i was a freak which really put me down (she was joking but it really hurted) , i am single but it really hard to tell other people you collect toys, i guess if someone really likes you for who you are your hobbies shouldnt really get in the way, unless that hobby heavily influences your attitude and behaviour contrasy to what she liked about u in the first place.

dirge
21st May 2008, 07:38 PM
A couple of years ago, There was this one week when something like 3 packages arrived (it was a total coincidence) & by the time the 3rd one showed up, An extremely angry threat was made to completely destroy it...

To me this is a warning sign about a relationship. Okay, there's a limit (bills, rent, etc kinda matter), but if you're serious about someone, you have to be willing to embrace them as they are - with all their quirks and flaws. While that doesn't mean the sig. other needs to become a transfan, they should respect that the collection is an important part of your life and who you are. If they don't, then you've got to wonder about the future of the relationship.

By the same token, if I was to meet a girl with a comparable hobby or interest, I'd give her the space to indulge in that interest, because it's part what makes her who she is.

autobreadticon
21st May 2008, 10:15 PM
it doesnt help when society thinks all geeks are like comic book guy on the Simpson

Gutsman Heavy
21st May 2008, 10:35 PM
One of my female couzins said i was a freak which really put me down (she was joking but it really hurted) , i am single but it really hard to tell other people you collect toys, i guess if someone really likes you for who you are your hobbies shouldnt really get in the way, unless that hobby heavily influences your attitude and behaviour contrasy to what she liked about u in the first place.

Bingo, I wouldn't worry about it mate, if someone doesn't like your hobby and thinks less of you for it, your better off with out them.

Sam
21st May 2008, 11:52 PM
My wife accepts my interests, because she knows everyone has their own interests / hobbies just as she has hers (watching TV and cartoons).

Having said that, my collection is tiny compared to most of yours, so I am not certain if having a big collection would mean a different response. My guess is it would not, because I have a fairly large LEGO collection.

griffin
22nd May 2008, 01:29 AM
Pity Soundwarp was away at the moment. He'd put all your wives to shame, with a little story about his missus. While on his last tour of Afghanistan, his wife, without being asked, managed to hunt down all the Classics toys released domestically (at retail stores here) without any help from anyone, which included the really hard to find ones like Jetfire and the Skywarp/Magnus pack. How's that for a top wife!

Fungal Infection
22nd May 2008, 08:04 AM
I think Soundwarp and Jaydisc win the TF-trophy wives award. :D

Pulse
22nd May 2008, 09:45 AM
Why can't I find a better half who accepts TFs into her life as much as Soundwarp's & Jay's do :(?

Hmm, there are a couple on the horizon... :D

autobreadticon
22nd May 2008, 12:39 PM
i think the correct term is a fair dinkum wife.

Tiby
22nd May 2008, 07:04 PM
Mine has come to accept them, and regularly goes shopping with me for them, but given the size of the collection it is too hard to buy any without me knowing.

When the boxes keep coming home I do get asked about the extent this will continue, but she's okay.

I tell her that the collection is worth a fair bit, but make sure she knows that if we separate I know people who will value them as "Box of toys - $25"!

roller
22nd May 2008, 07:40 PM
my parents and friends excuse is "You have so many we don't know which ones to get"

Some girls im friendly with are ok with it, alas i am just friendly with them and not in with them:D

i_amtrunks
23rd May 2008, 09:27 AM
The gf pretty much forced me into TRU on the way to broomball last night, and made me buy Deep Space Starscream, since she saw him on sale in the catalogue and knew I had not gotten any movie Starscream toy.

kup
23rd May 2008, 11:10 AM
I tell her that the collection is worth a fair bit, but make sure she knows that if we separate I know people who will value them as "Box of toys - $25"!

Then we would come and buy them at the Parra Fair! :D

1orion2many
23rd May 2008, 11:14 AM
:)My wife always wants to play with my big one:D(mind out of the gutter people) but I have a stress attack when she has her hands on my Fort Max. As long as I have enough money to pay bills and on the odd occassion take her out somewhere then it's all good;). She will buy me a TF every now and then but in general thinks it is a waste time as she normally doubles up on something I have already bought or have on lay-by:D. It has helped that my wifes sister is a geek as well so Lauren has already been broken in, Kim my sister in law is coming to the Supanova Geek fest with me:).

sanbot
23rd May 2008, 12:32 PM
The gf pretty much forced me into TRU on the way to broomball last night, and made me buy Deep Space Starscream, since she saw him on sale in the catalogue and knew I had not gotten any movie Starscream toy.

You weren't by chance at the Toy's R Us Moorepark last night around 7-7:30 were you? :D

i_amtrunks
23rd May 2008, 01:05 PM
Afraid not, I was at the opposite end of Sydney, Penrith TRU!

sanbot
23rd May 2008, 02:23 PM
Afraid not, I was at the opposite end of Sydney, Penrith TRU!

When you mentioned ur gf wanted you to buy the deep space starscream, I remembered that with the couple I saw at TRU, the girl was telling her bf to buy it too hehe