PDA

View Full Version : Kre-O's - Crack In A Box

Cat
1st September 2011, 10:59 PM
Got my shipment of these from BBTS the other day, and....DAMN.

I bought them for the minifigures, but built Mirage just to see how he looked.

I'm hooked.

I'm now building all the other sets, and trying to work out where they'll fit in the display-room.

These things are great. Kids would love them, and they're surprisingly a ton of fun for adults too.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need a fix....

KillinSpoon
1st September 2011, 11:49 PM
I guess the best thing about them is that if you're bored of looking at it you can just rebuild it in the other mode.

griffin
2nd September 2011, 01:27 AM
Isn't that the same with regular TFs? Just quicker... unless you got a movie toy. :p

tinyJazz
2nd September 2011, 01:49 AM
Someone build a mutant Kreo! Get bits from several sets and combine them into a monster. :p

jena
2nd September 2011, 08:12 AM
I feel the exact same way! I only have the small Optimus but I put it together last night and it was a lot of fun! I really enjoyed it. So now I'm very tempted to invest in some of the other sets, which I hadn't planned on doing! I only got Optimus for the sake of having at least one set. Damn this addiction. :rolleyes:

KillinSpoon
2nd September 2011, 09:31 AM
Isn't that the same with regular TFs? Just quicker... unless you got a movie toy. :p

I meant in comparison to LEGO haha.

Sky Shadow
2nd September 2011, 11:17 AM
Someone build a mutant Kreo! Get bits from several sets and combine them into a monster. :p

Autobot X!

jena
2nd September 2011, 05:32 PM
I ended up coming home with basic bumblebee and jazz today. Total disappointment that Target didn't have the larger bumblebee.

i_amtrunks
2nd September 2011, 09:32 PM
It is crack in a box...

I was expecting a mixed set with my only purchase of Mirage (have Ratchet and Prowl on their way).

For their first venture into the medium Hasbro have done very well with their design and use of bricks. There is plenty of room for improvement, but they have certainly hit the ground running, and as long as they continue to improve each new wave we will have some very intricate and poseable sets in the coming years.

I just hope that they do not use up all the main character models by then!

I can see a big market for reprolabels in replacement stickers, none of the stickers feel like they will stay on forever. But that is really a minor complaint in the grand scheme of things.

SkyWarp91
3rd September 2011, 12:30 AM
If it has made soccer moms rip apart Hasbro factory-sealed boxes before being shelved in stores (see SA Sightings thread), it's definitely something addicitve...

VERT
3rd September 2011, 02:18 PM
Have Jazz and Mirage and I have to say I like. Must have Megatron! But what I dont like is the lack of mini figs in the cheap sets.

Also really hate the Human extra figures. Pack two Bots please or save the plastic.

griffin
3rd September 2011, 03:38 PM
Yeah, there's no reason why they couldn't pack in a mini-figure with the smallest ones... it's what's helping sell the figures, and it's not like they need an excuse to do a redeco.

Quickstrike
3rd September 2011, 03:53 PM
I bought Ratchet today and I'm really impressed with him. I'll definitely be buying more of these things.

Zippo
3rd September 2011, 05:03 PM
Haven't yet seen any in person, but as these items are available with direct shipping to New Zealand I have been trying to work into my limited (or really nill) finances to see if I can import.

Prime w/cycles at $90NZ ($72AU) seems a good price.

tinyJazz
3rd September 2011, 05:23 PM
Autobot X!
YES. I think there's some Prowl in Autobot X. As the Kreo tagline goes: create it! Seriously, someone do this.

For their first venture into the medium Hasbro have done very well with their design and use of bricks.
Wasn't "Built to rule" the first Transformers/legos thing Hasbro did? I saw one in a op shop "looks complete" said the tag, but I still didn't buy it. I think it was Armada Jetfire.

If it has made soccer moms rip apart Hasbro factory-sealed boxes before being shelved in stores (see SA Sightings thread), it's definitely something addicitve...
I saw a guy doing that with Hotwheels at my local Toyworld, looked like he was picking out just the one type of car too. :p That better not be any of you guys.

Quickstrike
3rd September 2011, 06:45 PM
Wasn't "Built to rule" the first Transformers/legos thing Hasbro did? I saw one in a op shop "looks complete" said the tag, but I still didn't buy it. I think it was Armada Jetfire.

We like to pretend that Built To Rule never happened, it's pretty easy! The GI Joe ones looked sort of alright though.

Oh man, GI Joe Kre-o.

i_amtrunks
3rd September 2011, 07:29 PM
We like to pretend that Built To Rule never happened

Was built to rule Hasbro based/operated? For some reason I always took them to have been amde by some lego competitor with the Hasbro license...

Oh man, GI Joe Kre-o.

Kre-o My Little Pony!

Paul Agnew
4th September 2011, 11:26 AM
We like to pretend that Built To Rule never happened, it's pretty easy!

Even if they weren't exactly Hasbro's godsend to fans, there's no complaints from me regarding the prices. :p

How about fusing the Ratchet set with the Megatron set?

http://tfwiki.net/w2/images2/7/78/MarvelUS-70.jpg

Quickstrike
4th September 2011, 12:54 PM
Was built to rule Hasbro based/operated? For some reason I always took them to have been amde by some lego competitor with the Hasbro license...

I want to say they were done in-house at Hasbro. The GI Joe sets used real GI Joe figures and I don't think Hasbro would give another company the molds for those. But I really don't know how that kind of thing works.

The Kre-o sets are done by Oxford (http://www.oxfordtoy.co.kr/eng/product/small_srs.asp?category=), for the record. They make some pretty cool looking stuff.

Kre-o My Little Pony!

Ahhhhhhhhh!!!

Autocon
4th September 2011, 05:16 PM
hmm thought about buying these for my lil cousin...would it suit an 8 year old?

KillinSpoon
4th September 2011, 06:18 PM
Yeah, I don't really find the bot modes too good but the vehicles are pretty amazing for what they are.

jena
4th September 2011, 07:11 PM
I bought Prowl today but I didn't even have the chance to open the box before my mum ran off with it, saying she wanted to build this one! :p The addiction is contagious.

Arcee
16th September 2011, 01:41 PM

Has anyone here actually done that? I really want to see some photos!!!

I bought Prowl today but I didn't even have the chance to open the box before my mum ran off with it, saying she wanted to build this one! :p The addiction is contagious.

What a nice mum...my mum would just dust my TFs away and blame me for not behaving like a girl, lol

Paulbot
22nd September 2011, 09:25 AM
I think Lego's worried about competition... I just saw this (somewhat misleading) ad on Google...

LEGOŽ Transformers - Action Figures that Transform!
Buy Now at the Official LEGOŽ Shop
www.LEGO.com

griffin
22nd September 2011, 12:32 PM
What were you searching on Google, to get that ad to come up? I was trying a few different permutations, but the closest I got was this:

Latest LEGOŽ Toys - Discover Toys You Can Transform | LEGO.com
www.lego.com
Check Out LEGOŽ Here!

...which isn't as bad as using the actual "Transformers" brand name, but they are still trying to cash in on any interest in Kre-O by consumers who don't realise it isn't by Lego (by saying that they (Lego) have ones that can Transform - something you wouldn't automatically associate to Lego, as their products are more a 'building' theme than 'transforming' theme).

The gloves are definitely off between Lego & Hasbro, with both companies now aiming to poach consumers of their rival's markets (Lego with their boardgames, Hasbro with their Kre-O).

UltraMarginal
22nd September 2011, 12:43 PM
What were you searching on Google, to get that ad to come up? I was trying a few different permutations, but the closest I got was this:

...which isn't as bad as using the actual "Transformers" brand name, but they are still trying to cash in on any interest in Kre-O by consumers who don't realise it isn't by Lego (by saying that they (Lego) have ones that can Transform - something you wouldn't automatically associate to Lego, as their products are more a 'building' theme than 'transforming' theme).

The gloves are definitely off between Lego & Hasbro, with both companies now aiming to poach consumers of their rival's markets (Lego with their boardgames, Hasbro with their Kre-O).

following up on this, I saw an ad on tv this morning before leaving for work for meccano that specificaly mentioned space battle vehicles that transform!

Bartrim
22nd September 2011, 01:42 PM
Maybe it's because I've seen my interest in Transformers wane somewhat over the past couple of months (Man... I never thought I'd say that!:eek:) but I really don't see the point of these. If you could build it out of lego and they had engineered it in a way that you could build the robot, then transformed it to a car/plane I may be interested but pulling the thing apart and rebuilding as a vehicle=pointless when we actually have proper Transformers imo... but different strokes for different folkes so enjoy them guys and girls:)

5FDP
22nd September 2011, 02:19 PM
If you could build it out of lego and they had engineered it in a way that you could build the robot, then transformed it to a car/plane I may be interested but pulling the thing apart and rebuilding as a vehicle=pointless when we actually have proper Transformers imo...

It may have been mentioned elsewhere (only just started reading about these Kre-o's) but I didn't realise this was the case. I was slightly warming to the idea of getting some - more specifically Prowl, but I'm with you Bartrim, what's the point if they don't actually transform :confused:

Arcee
22nd September 2011, 02:38 PM
It may have been mentioned elsewhere (only just started reading about these Kre-o's) but I didn't realise this was the case. I was slightly warming to the idea of getting some - more specifically Prowl, but I'm with you Bartrim, what's the point if they don't actually transform :confused:

Can't say anything against that as I was thinking exactly the same about only two weeks ago but now I'm breaking my wallet to buy them...no good reason at all, just because they look good in both mode.

I may regret, who knows...atm I'm loving my Prowl and Ratchet.

bowspearer
22nd September 2011, 09:49 PM
I really don't see the point of these.

One word- minifigs ;)

Speaking of which, the SDCC exclusive Optimus minifig is awesome :)

Arcee
22nd September 2011, 10:40 PM
One word- minifigs ;)

Speaking of which, the SDCC exclusive Optimus minifig is awesome :)

Shockwave and Soundwave are my fav :D So cute!

Bartrim
23rd September 2011, 10:08 AM
One word- minifigs ;)

Not really worth the money if you ask me.

GoktimusPrime
24th September 2011, 10:44 AM
How about fusing the Ratchet set with the Megatron set?
Here's one done with the G1 toys. ;)
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/Famous%20Covers/cover_070.jpg
;)

Not really worth the money if you ask me.
I agree.

I've only picked up 2 Kre-Os, the small Optimus and Mirage... and I'm not feeling it. They're nice, but I don't see myself rushing out to buy anymore. The minifigs are cute and I'd buy them if they were sold separately, but the medium to larger sets are pricey, so it's hard to justify buying them just for the minifigs. Big W has them cheapest, but even then they're still not cheap.

If you like the sets themselves, then great... but if you just want the minifigs then it's not quite worth it.

One thing that bugs me about the Kre-Os is that they have left over pieces in either mode. I'd like them a lot better if they incorporated all the pieces in both modes.

I've tried to come up with ways of incorporating leftover pieces...

e.g.
Here's the official truck mode for small Optimus Prime:
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/Kre-O/kre-o_optimus02.jpg

Here it is again with all the leftover pieces attached:
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/Kre-O/kre-o_optimus01.jpg

Here's the robot mode:
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/Kre-O/kre-o_optimus05.jpg

I used the leftover parts to make a rifle:
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/Kre-O/kre-o_optimus06.jpg

I used Mirage's leftover robot mode pieces to make a stand for the Kreons:
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/Kre-O/kre-o_mirage01.jpg

Here's Mirages official vehicle mode - look at all those leftovers!
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/Kre-O/kre-o_mirage10.jpg

Leftovers attached to make Vehicle Assault Mode!
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/Kre-O/kre-o_mirage11.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/Kre-O/kre-o_mirage12.jpg

Firestorm
25th September 2011, 12:05 AM
Got a Kre-O of Mirage, probably the only Kre-O I'll get, they're not bad per'se but the fact that both modes have left over bits and you have to completly dismantle it to re-build it in the other mode kinda annoy me

the mini-figs (are they called Kreons are something) are nice, but i dont think I'll be buying any more Kre-Os just for them

Stompy
25th September 2011, 01:28 AM
*snip*

One thing that bugs me about the Kre-Os is that they have left over pieces in either mode. I'd like them a lot better if they incorporated all the pieces in both modes.

I've tried to come up with ways of incorporating leftover pieces...

*snip*

Here it is again with all the leftover pieces attached:

*snip*

I used the leftover parts to make a rifle:

*snip*

I used Mirage's leftover robot mode pieces to make a stand for the Kreons:

*snip*

Leftovers attached to make Vehicle Assault Mode!

*snip*

You've just demonstrated exactly what makes Construction Toys so great. Go into the Kre-O's not as a Transformer toy but rather as a Construction Toy using Transformers as inspiration. Seeing you and all the others who modify and/or create guns and accessories is the actual value of these toys.

Excellent mods btw Gok.

GoktimusPrime
25th September 2011, 03:03 PM
Thanks Stompy. :) Here are some pics of me combing Lego pieces with Kre-O Optimus Prime...

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/Kre-O/kre-o_optimus07a.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/Kre-O/kre-o_optimus07b.jpg (Lego headlights)

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/Kre-O/kre-o_optimus07c.jpg
Cliff (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Cliff_Dietz) got jealous that his best buddy Spike got to be a Headmaster and wanted a piece of the action... only being good ol' clumsy Cliff he didn't quite do it the right way. ;)

Speaking of value - now, I don't collect Lego (those Lego pieces you see there are just leftovers from my childhood), but how do the prices of Kre-Os here compare with comparable Lego sets? Because the Kre-Os do seem expensive. I know that Lego can be expensive too, but consider the following differencs:

1/ Kre-Os are entirely made in China. Lego is primarily manufactured in Denmark, Hungary, the Czech Republic and Mexico. They have very limited manufacturing done in China (reference (http://messageboards.lego.com/en-US/showpost.aspx?PostID=1822888)). We know that Hasbro does their manufacturing in China cos it's cheap wheres Lego can be expensive because the cost of labour in countries like Denmark would be dearer.

2/ With some of their lines Lego would have to pay licensing fees. e.g. Lego Star Wars, Lego Harry Potter, Lego Spider-Man, Lego Batman, Lego Indiana Jones, Lego Toy Story, Lego Pirates of the Caribbean, Lego Cars, Lego Super-Heroes (DC/Marvel) et al. Kre-O is a Hasbro brand, so is Transformers... so it's not as if Hasbro has to pay themselves for the privilege of using the Transformers likeness and names etc. with Kre-Os since it's all done "in house."

So I sure hope that these Kre-Os are comparatively cheaper than licensed Lego sets... otherwise we're looking at what I would consider poorer value for money.

VERT
25th September 2011, 05:57 PM
Last week I found a open Starscream box in the K-Mart junk area marked down to $15 some parts missing. I checked and it still had the Screamer and other mini Figures. Once home im happy to say it was a complete set. Nothing missing! Not bad for $15 :D