PDA

View Full Version : Could we please have the <pre> tag?

jaydisc
21st May 2008, 05:11 PM
Hi Griffin,

As you once so kindly granted us the <strike> tag, I was wondering if we could have the <pre> tag.

The <pre> tag is used to indicate that all of the original formatting (specifically spaces and tabs) is maintained. At the moment, if you start a line with a space or use more than one space consecutively, these are stripped.

The reason I'd personally like this is so that it's easy to create columns of numbers that line up.

Whaddya say?

Thanks,

Jay

griffin
22nd May 2008, 01:10 AM
I'll have a look to see if it is available.

Borgeman
22nd May 2008, 07:59 AM
omg yes please - its so annoying using full stops to line things up, then making the full stop font white so now one knows my genius :D

George

Pulse
22nd May 2008, 09:39 AM
You mean being able to use the Tab button?

No objections from me :D.

roller
22nd May 2008, 06:55 PM
i dont know guys

do we really need more buttons? :)

jaydisc
22nd May 2008, 06:57 PM
No button. Just support for me typing in . . . . You'll appreciate the results. As a matter of fact, the response I'm writing to you RIGHT NOW in the seeker thread would benefit from it ;)

roller
22nd May 2008, 11:54 PM
i dont think we should

I mean, Ted Kennedy did just get a head tumour

jaydisc
23rd May 2008, 12:02 AM
Kennedy's tumor was caused by the tag

griffin
27th February 2010, 11:20 PM
Found this topic the other day while searching for something else, and didn't even realise I had missed finding and implimenting the tag coding for it.

The coding I found was 'span' instead of 'pre', so if you aren't posting in the full posting screen, that is the tag code for it. Otherwise, there is a tag button next to the strikethrough button, with 'S-P' on it.

If it works, you should be able to use as many spaces as you want between words without it automatically being condensed.

Example:
With the span tag used.

Without the span tag used.

(each line above had 4 spaces added between the words)

Hopefully this works... If not, this message will be deleted so you won't even know about the failed attempt. :p

griffin
27th February 2010, 11:26 PM
Problem I found though - if you preview the post beforehand, or edit the post, or even quote the post, the extra spaces are automatically removed - but the tags remain. Not sure why, but maybe this is something people can still use until I figure out why this side-effect is happening.

jaydisc
28th February 2010, 07:25 AM
====

While my spaces appear to be maintained, it's unfortunately still performing additional line break processing, making every line break a double link break. Not sure what the configuration interface looks like, but there should be no further processing inside these tags. Since it's rendered as a <span style="white-space: pre;"></span> instead of <pre></pre>, the additional line breaks are being rendered when rather the any code in the <pre> should be shown as code, i.e. <br>.

MV75
28th February 2010, 08:02 AM
I have a better idea. Can we have a state prefix on thread titles?

Jay, if you want something to appear as you typed it in, use the code tag.

EDIT: Here is how state prefix tags look:

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l186/mv75/StateTags.jpg

jaydisc
28th February 2010, 08:05 AM
Jay, if you want something to appear as you typed it in, use the code tag.

======

Perfect! Thanks.

griffin
28th February 2010, 02:21 PM
So I can probably just remove the Span tag, and have people use the Code tag instead?

jaydisc
28th February 2010, 02:39 PM
The code tag certainly fulfills my needs.

griffin
5th March 2010, 02:26 PM
Removed the span/pre tag and added the button for the marquee tag.

jaydisc
5th March 2010, 02:28 PM
added the button for the marquee tag.

Ugggh. One of the most hated tags in HTML.

griffin
5th March 2010, 02:35 PM
Ugggh. One of the most hated tags in HTML.

Yeah I know, but as useful as it is for me to use to promote sales and other important AUS news in my signature, I didn't want to look selfish by not letting others know how to use it.
Provided it is used sparingly, for things that 'need' it, it's there as an added feature. If it does get overused, or starts annoying people by being used in things like News or sightings topics, I'll remove it (and not use it myself).

5FDP
5th March 2010, 03:36 PM
I like it. It's fun trying to click on the links when there moving across the screen. I've made a game of it :D