PDA

View Full Version : Movie Wreckage Review

SilverDragon
21st May 2008, 05:29 PM
Target were having a deluxe sale, and they were $20. Since I had that much (and then some more), I went TF shopping on Monday. Initially, I didn't really know who I wanted, but I had a vague desire for Dreadwing. Then I spotted Wreckage. After much deliberation, Wreckage won on the basis that he didn't look like a retarded Dalek (however cool Daleks are).

I am extremely glad I got him-he's awesome, despite being the Movie Arcee of the Decepticons.

ALT MODE

Wreckage's alt mode is a Stryker personell carrier, though it isn't identified as one on the box. He's coloured in arctic camo-white with grey blotches. It looks really nice, but hides a lot of the detail. There's a non-firing gun in the middle of the vehicle, as well as a patch of translucent red plastic which ties into a robot mode feature.

On the robot mode kibble, he doesn't hide it very well. From the front, you can see his hands and head. Oh well, it's not like it's invisible on every other TF that doesn't shellform.

The vehicle has eight rolling wheels. However, due to the wheels being on different limbs in robot mode, they don't always line up, leading to them not rolling on a hard surface.

TRANSFORMATION

Basically, he stretches out. The rear of the transport folds into a backpack, and the gun fits into a hole in his back (he better not accidentally shoot himself, then). He has an automorph feature-pushing the front sides of the vehicle up results in his head and cannon appearing (creating the aforementioned hole). Of note are two holsters that appear from the back of the transport-these hold his weapons in both modes.

ROBOT MODE

This is where he shines. The limbs, in contrast to the body, are red (making him look like an evil Rescue Ratchet), and these is some grey and gold. The head looks like Rattrap wearing G1 Megatron's helmet, or alternately, it looks like Dinobot. It has light-piping, but due to a panel on the back of the head, it's essentially useless unless you turn his head. He also has a translucent red non-firing cannon in his chest.

As noted before, Wreckage comes with weapons-two spring-loaded swords that flip out when you press a button. The blades are clear red plastic. They can be mounted on the underside of his arms or in his hands. Alternately, though the instructions don't say it, they can be combined into a sword not unlike a double-bladed lightsabre, which can then be put on one of the wheels on his arms for rotate-blade fun (making me wonder if Wreckage is a homage to Dinobot). As mentioned above, he has holsters to store them in non-flipped-out-mode sitting on his upper legs. They are a bit loose, so you should push them in hard.

Articulation-wise. Wreckage is one of the best deluxe Decepticons. He has several joints, including shoulders, elbows, waist (though limited due to kibble), knees, legs, and even heels. He's extremely poseble, and unlike several other movie 'cons (I'm looking at you, Barricade and Bonecrusher), his feet are large enough to enable him to stand on one leg in a running pose. The head, however, is always looking down, although this can make for some fun poses where he's standing on a defeated foe thrusting his sword into their face.

OVERALL

Out of the four movie deluxes I have (Brawl, Barricade, Bonecrusher, and Wreckage), I think Wreckage is the best of all of them. The alt mode is a little plain, but there's not much you can do with a personell carrier, anyway. The robot mode is awesome, and so are his swords. He is well worth it.

9/10

jaydisc
21st May 2008, 05:35 PM
Well written.

One of my favorite aspects of this toy is the fact you can stow away the blades in alt mode.

Things I'm not fond of are the fact that he's always looking down and also the color scheme, specifically in robot mode.

SilverDragon
21st May 2008, 06:42 PM
Well written.

One of my favorite aspects of this toy is the fact you can stow away the blades in alt mode.

Things I'm not fond of are the fact that he's always looking down and also the color scheme, specifically in robot mode.

Thanks!

Yeah, I really like that aspect of the toy too, especially since it doesn't look really out-of-place.

In regards to the always-looking-down thing, it could be that he's glaring out of the corners of his eyes at you. Personally, I like the colour-scheme since most other movie Decepticons are so dark in colour anyway, it makes a nice change.

STL
21st May 2008, 10:35 PM
Nice review.

I agree. This is one of my favourite Decepticon Deluxe molds and I do agree that the colour scheme looks pretty neat. I like especially the "crystal" colours of the red. He does though look down a bit unforunately but I love the blade action w/ the toy.

i_amtrunks
22nd May 2008, 08:38 AM
I've been hoping for a Black "ninja" style repaint of Wreckage for a while now. As much as I don't mind the artic camo paint job, and darker camo would probably have looked better as well.

Pulse
22nd May 2008, 08:50 AM
IMO one of the best figures from the Movie line - period. :D

jaydisc
22nd May 2008, 09:21 AM
I've been hoping for a Black "ninja" style repaint of Wreckage for a while now. As much as I don't mind the artic camo paint job, and darker camo would probably have looked better as well.

I agree. There have been a lot of complaints about the movie figures generally dark colors, but I find them to be more realistic than any other line and have no objections. Military vehicles are dark!

Jungle Bonecrusher on the other hand is absolutely ridiculous. Like you could drive a Buffalo MPV through a forest. :p

goro
22nd May 2008, 09:38 AM
as for a black ninja style repaint.. watch out next week .. ure wish may actually come true!