PDA

View Full Version : How to clean up sticky tape marks?

Arcee
5th October 2011, 03:55 PM
I don't know what exactly is the term for that thing but here's how it happens:

Sometimes when you peel off stick tapes from a smooth surface, it leaves a grossy sticky layer. It's impossible to rub it off with wet wipes, even impossible to scrub off with nails or knife (yes, I've tried that a LOT and decide to give up).

I've got quite a few boxes and cards with that problem. When the marks are new they are extremely sticky you can't put them together with other cards or boxes, otherwise they all stick together. And if you leave them alone, very soon they'll attract a lot of dust and dirts, and wherever they are just go black.

They got me obssessed but I just don't know what to do with them. So annoying.

Anyone may know how to deal with such things?

kurdt_the_goat
5th October 2011, 04:21 PM
It stinks for a while after, but eucalyptus oil works very well on sticky residue!
It won't clear up the actual paper tho (say you're removing a price label from a DVD case).... u have to remove all that first, but the stuff that's left behind will go in an instant.
Sticky residue on paper/card i think it works but you have to be a bit more careful with the rubbing.
You can get it in chemists cause it's usually for flu etc.

UltraMarginal
5th October 2011, 04:56 PM
what he said

Prowl
5th October 2011, 08:08 PM
You could try a slightly damp long pile microfibre cloth. Trust me they clean anything without chemicals.

http://www.kcprofessional.com.au/images/products/large/83610.png

jena
5th October 2011, 10:39 PM
Whenever I remove a sticker or label of some kind off something, I always use my hairdryer to heat it up first. I don't know the reasons behind it but there's something to do with warming up the adhesive that causes it to peel right off without leaving any residue behind. Its magic really.

liegeprime
5th October 2011, 10:42 PM
Zippo lighter fluid used by Heroic D... he shows it on his blog

gamblor916
5th October 2011, 10:57 PM
Whenever I remove a sticker or label of some kind off something, I always use my hairdryer to heat it up first. I don't know the reasons behind it but there's something to do with warming up the adhesive that causes it to peel right off without leaving any residue behind. Its magic really.

That's fabulous! I've been using zippo lighter fluid but it's not perfect. It works for some but not for others.

Arcee
5th October 2011, 11:25 PM
It stinks for a while after, but eucalyptus oil works very well on sticky residue!
Gonna check it out in the chemist's tomorrow lunch break.

You could try a slightly damp long pile microfibre cloth. Trust me they clean anything without chemicals.

http://www.kcprofessional.com.au/images/products/large/83610.png
I have a couple of the microfibre towels which I use for my camping trips and they are amazing. But somehow they feel kinda posh...not really something I'd want to use as a wipe :o It might get really difficult to wash afterwards, and they are not cheap.

...Ok, eucalyptus oil for existing problems, and hairdryer for future precautions. Brilliant.:D

...another posh way of doing it :o

Prowl
6th October 2011, 09:31 PM
I have a couple of the microfibre towels which I use for my camping trips and they are amazing. But somehow they feel kinda posh...not really something I'd want to use as a wipe :o It might get really difficult to wash afterwards, and they are not cheap.

They are not cheap & they will leave residue you cannot get off but hey I get them for free as samples from suppliers so I just grab one from my sample room when I need one.

liegeprime
7th October 2011, 09:31 AM
I guess you can look it that way Arcee:p. Although as HD mentioned you can still use the method if you need to remove a good stickers (like in G1 deco Tfs) momentarily and "apparently" once it dries you can still reuse/re attach the sticker. e.g. if you found a Tf you wanna improve the white (using the H202 bath method) and the stickers are in the way but are quite good enough you dont wanna buy replacements, you can peel this off to reuse later using the Zippo method. Best to look up his blog fpr details, not sure where it is there , but the blog is quite interesting especially if your a toyhunter in overseas places and like looking at vintage , pristine G1 stuff :)

http://heroicdecepticon.blogspot.com/

sideswipes brother
8th October 2011, 07:18 AM
Methylated spirits works wonders. I use it all the time to clean up my boxes and have had no problems.

blackoptimus
12th October 2011, 01:06 AM
Would eucalyptus oil rub of chrome? Because I need to clean Megatrons shiny chest with out damaging the paint job.

UltraMarginal
12th October 2011, 10:11 AM
Methylated spirits works wonders. I use it all the time to clean up my boxes and have had no problems.

you do need to be careful of plastics with metho though. for example, a cd case. the surface can go cloudy.

heroic_decepticon
19th October 2011, 01:29 AM
*snip*

Anyone may know how to deal with such things?

Here it is: How to remove price tags / stickers from Transformers boxes and toys (http://heroicdecepticon.blogspot.com/2009/08/how-to-remove-price-tags-stickers-from.html)

It's the first result when you google "how to remove transformers stickers" :D