PDA

View Full Version : Wargaming with Transformers figures

Sam
25th May 2008, 12:03 AM
Hey, does anyone if this idea has been discussed on any TF forums already?

Today I suddenly thought about TF tech specs. Then I somehow thought about Warhammer 40K (the tabletop game from Games Workshop). Then I thought what if collectors got together and "played" with their Transformers like the way W40K was played, with the tech specs of each figure determining how he was played?

For example, a character's speed would affect how far he can move and when he can move relative to other characters. Endurance would contribute to his overall hitpoints and armour rating. Skill and firepower would impact the damage he does to his enemies, etc.

I haven't got any of the mechanics worked out, but I guess theoretically a game could be played this way (along with dice, to bring the element of chance/luck into the game).

And figures do not have to be limited to only one series, since I believe all figures have similar categories in their tech specs.

Not sure if this is an interesting idea to anyone?

Paulbot
25th May 2008, 12:13 AM
The first year G1 Tech Specs are great for their consistency and spreading out the numbers. But recently the specs all trend higher, lots of all 10s and/or 9s for characters like Megatron and Optimus Prime which would make them unstoppable in that sort of game.

Demonac
25th May 2008, 12:15 AM
I'd considered it too...
but they would need to have 2 sets of stats (1 for alt mode, 1 for bot mode).
RiD Galvatron would need 10 sets!

iceburn
25th May 2008, 11:33 PM
a card game could be fun like YuGiOh or the others....

STL
26th May 2008, 12:15 AM
I'd dig it and I'm hardly a fan of most of those type of games.

kup
26th May 2008, 12:15 AM
I would also suspect that inconsistancy of the techspecs may make things a bit unbalance but to play them in a non serius way, could still be done.

roller
26th May 2008, 12:19 AM
i though Attackix covered this type o thing

STL
26th May 2008, 12:57 AM
But it wasn't really that good. All you did was take turns then shoot at each other. Not as strategic though it can be fun.

Golden Phoenix
26th May 2008, 01:56 AM
The first year G1 Tech Specs are great for their consistency and spreading out the numbers. But recently the specs all trend higher, lots of all 10s and/or 9s for characters like Megatron and Optimus Prime which would make them unstoppable in that sort of game.

You could counter that with a couple of rules.
Something like a character limit. And then saying "characters with X or more stat points are worth Y characters"

This sounds interesting. Maybe we could find a set of rules for a table top game and adopt them for Transfomers.

Lord_Zed
26th May 2008, 12:40 PM
As someone who has played countless different systems as well as writing rules for my own G Gundam Game. I'd say there are many ideas that could be adpated to a Transformers game. Before you even get that far you'd need to work out what figures your going to use. If your using standard TF's then It will have to be a small detailed game with only a few a side.

In my opinion the best place to start would be with Legends, Minicons or Micromasters. As there all small so you can fit several on a tabletop. You could fit a couple of Deluxes but it would feel confined.

I particurly like the idea of using Micromasters cause you could field them in 4 robot formations.

Sam
27th May 2008, 10:54 PM
Perhaps coming up with a set of rules can be a collective effort by interested members here.

I think one of the keys is to try and keep the rules as simple as possible, so that we don't get bogged down in having to remember too many details. But the rules also need to be flexible enough in allowing different lines of TF characters to be used in the game.

But at the same time, I also think it would make the game more fun for introducing certain "special rules" depending on the type of figures you bring into the battle.

Examples I can think of include allowing combiner teams to be brought into the game and merge, micromaster team tactics, minicon power boosts, Energon character powerlinks, Soundwave or Blaster and their cassettes, and special moves that can be only performed when certain figures are in the same at the same time (e.g. if both Sideswipe and Sunstreaker were in the game, they should be allowed to perform some kind of action due to their relationship as brothers, and if the Decepticon Seekers were in the same game, they would perform some kind of co-ordinated attack).

Another problem is also the fact that leader characters typically have 10 in most of their stats, so it's inconceivable for other lesser characters to take them down (e.g. Bumblebee would have no chance against Megatron). But if this was all set, then it may become easy to exploit these rules, so that weak characters are all wiped out very early on in the game, and that wouldn't make for a fun experience.

So I am thinking we would need to introduce randomness / chance into the game, and probably using 2 six-sided dice would be the easiest (since they are readily available in most places).

Typically, a TF character would have these spec categories:

- strength
- intelligence
- speed
- endurance
- rank
- courage
- fireblast / firepower
- skill

And I am thinking each character's turn can be broken into movement and attack / defend phases.

Movement would be dependent on a combination of speed and intelligence. I thought instead of just using speed, a character's intelligence would give him initiative in making the decision to move (e.g. two characters with the same speed, but one is smarter, so he would move first since he is more mentally capable).

Movement in alternate modes would probably be faster, and perhaps just how fast it is could be affected by skill (details need to be worked out).

Attacks would be of either ranged or melee, with firepower and skill affecting ranged, and strength, skill and/or firepower affecting melee (e.g. point blank shots!).

Obviously there are a lot more details that need to be worked out, and the exact relationship between these specs and how they are calculated to give a working number for use during each turn need to be worked out too.

I have more thoughts, I just need to write them down, but I have to go watch TV now.

Any input would be most welcome, I would like to have some kind of game where we can all have fun playing. :)

Paulbot
27th May 2008, 11:13 PM
Bumblebee is braver than Megatron so don't rule him out :)

There's some good ideas there. I have developed some similar rules for a computer game I might never finish. In doing so I used the tech specs as a start but adjusted them to give every character a fighting chance against every other character. I don't know anything about the games the rest of you are talking about so I'm not sure if they'd translate.

But I couldn't work out a good way to give each character two sets of stats for robot and alt mode, so I incoporated transforming into certain moves. Eg Autobot cars transform into vehicle mode to attack with their speed stats.

roller
28th May 2008, 09:28 AM
i dont know guys, everyone who plays warhammer is looked at with contempt, you know its true:)

Maybe we should leave well nuff alone:D

Bartrim
28th May 2008, 09:30 AM
Being a former warhammer nerd this does interest me.

loophole
28th May 2008, 09:09 PM
i did this years ago back in high school (about 99) when i was playing 40k i converted all the tech specs to WS BS S T etc.. and also had individual stats for the weaponary which can get a little bit over the top. at the time i did it to all of the g1 toys that i owned about 40 or so i still have the print offs for them somewhere, although i never got to really try them out against anyone else

Sam
31st May 2008, 06:14 PM
Okay I spent a couple of days working on these rules. I have included criticisms of my own rules at the bottom, feel free to take a look and give input. Thanks!

-----------
Tabletop Wargame – Core Rules

Terms and Definitions
“Character” refers to a Transformers character / figure.
“Player” refers to a human player.
“Recorder” refers to the person who records all damage sustained by characters and/or other important notes such as conditions suffered by characters, status changes in characters, etc.

Game Preparation
Ideally three people at a minimum: 2 players, 1 recorder (to record damage done to player's characters, etc.). If there are only two people, one player can act as the recorder as well.

Equipment: Transformers figures (how many is up to you), pen, notepad, 2 six-sided dice.

Set figures on a decent sized table.

Hit Points (HP)
These are used to determine how much damage a character can take before dying, as well as how many points the character is worth so that if players wish to field balanced armies, hit points can be used as a general guide.

Calculation of Hit Points = Strength x Endurance x 10

Action Points (AP)
These are used to set a limit on the number of actions a character may perform per turn.

Calculation of Action Points = Strength + Intelligence + Rank + Skill

All examples used below are taken from the Classics line.

Example 1:
Bumblebee
Strength = 3
Intelligence = 9
Speed = 6
Endurance = 4
Rank = 7
Courage = 10
Fireblast / Firepower = 4
Skill = 9

HP = 3 x 4 x 10 = 120
AP = 3 + 9 + 9 + 7 = 28

Example 2:
Megatron
Strength = 10
Intellience = 10
Speed = 6
Endurance = 10
Rank = 10
Courage = 10
Fireblast / Firepower = 10
Skill = 7

HP = 10 x 10 x 10 = 1000
AP = 10 + 10 + 10 + 7 = 37

Example 3:
Optimus Prime
Strength = 10
Intellience = 10
Speed = 6
Endurance = 10
Rank = 10
Courage = 10
Fireblast / Firepower = 8
Skill = 10

HP = 10 x 10 x 10 = 1000
AP = 10 + 10 + 10 + 10 = 40

Example 4:
Starscream
Strength = 7
Intellience = 8
Speed = 10
Endurance = 6
Rank = 8
Courage = 4
Fireblast / Firepower = 8
Skill = 8

HP = 7 x 6 x 10 = 420
AP = 7 + 8 + 8 + 8 = 31

Playing the Game
The game is turn based, with each character having their turn, involving primarily two phases, the Movement Phase, and then the Attack / Defend Phase.

During the course of one turn, a character may only move once, attack once, and transform once. All aspects are optional, and can be done at any point during the course of one turn (e.g. a character may choose to attack, transform to vehicle mode, and the move). However, a character cannot divide moving or attacking into halves or parts.

A character may attempt to defend or counterattack as many times as he is attacked.

Overview of Each Turn
The character with the highest Speed goes first.

If there is more than one character with the highest Speed, the character with the highest Intelligence from this set goes first.

If there is more than one character with the highest Speed and Intelligence, each player rolls a die. The player who rolls the highest value goes first.

If a player has more than one character with the highest Speed and Intelligence, he/she may choose any character from this set to go first.

Note: Calculation of all values during each turn is based on standard mathematical rules (i.e. multiplication / division before addition / subtraction, unless stated otherwise by parentheses).

Movement Phase
Movement Values are a combination of Speed and die rolls. Just what the value is depends on the alternate mode of the character.

Robot mode = Speed + die roll
Vehicle mode = Speed + 2 dice rolls
Fixed mode (e.g. cannons, bases / installations, etc.) = 0
Beast mode A (e.g. dinosaurs and other slower beasts) = 1/2 x Speed + die roll
Beast mode B (e.g. cheetahs and other faster beasts) = Speed + die roll + 3

Attack Phase
There are two primary types of attacks: ranged and melee. Melee has three sub-types: standard (hand-to-hand), grapple (throw), and ramming.

A successful attack, defense or counterattack depends upon the Attack and Defense Values, respectively. These are calculated differently, depending upon the attack type.

Ranged and Melee (Standard) Attacks
The attacking player rolls a die, and adds the value rolled to his/her attacking character’s Skill value. This is the Attack Value.

The defending player also rolls a die, and adds the value rolled to his/her defending character’s Skill value. This is the Defense Value.

Notes:
Certain characters may perform ranged attacks even in their alternate modes (e.g. Decepticon Seekers). Simply put, if a weapon is visible in the character’s alternate mode, then that character may perform a ranged attack.

Point blank shots never miss! Therefore, Defense Values are irrelevant for point blank shots.

Melee (Grapple) Attacks
Note: The attacking character and defending character must be next to each other for this attack type to be enabled.

The attacking player rolls a die, and adds the value rolled to his/her attacking character’s Strength value. This is the Attack Value.

The defending player also rolls a die, and adds the value rolled to his/her defending character’s Strength value. This is the Defense Value.

Note: Grapple attacks can only be defended against, not counterattacked.

Melee (Ramming) Attacks
Note: The attacking character must be in a non-fixed alternate mode for this attack type to be enabled. Furthermore, a ramming attack may only be made if the attacking character’s Movement Value is sufficient for this purpose.

Ramming attacks are always successful, therefore Defense Values are irrelevant for this attack type. However, damage is also sustained by the attacking character.

Determining An Attack’s Outcome
Note: This only applies if the attack is a not a ramming or point blank shot attack.

If the Attack Value is greater than the Defense Value, then a successful attack is made.

If the Attack Value is the same as the Defense Value, then the defending character has successfully defended against the attack.

If the Attack Value is less than the Defense Value, then the defending character has successfully made a counterattack.

Calculating Damage
For successful attacks or counterattacks, the damage incurred by the target depends upon the Damage Value. The Damage Value is dependent on the type of attack it is, and the mode that the character is in.

Ranged (robot mode) = Fireblast / Firepower x die roll
Ranged (fixed mode, such as cannons or bases / installations) = Fireblast / Firepower x die roll + 2 dice rolls
Point blank shots = Ranged (calculated according to mode first) x 2
Melee (standards) = Strength x die roll
Melee (grapple) = Strength x die roll
Melee (ramming) = (Strength + Speed) x die roll
Melee (ramming: sustained by attacking character) = (12 – Endurance) x die roll

Note:
Ramming attacks also cause damage to the attacking character.

Knockback
Both grapple and ramming attacks can cause Knockback. This is where the defending character can be pushed back by the force of the attack. If the defending character is pushed back into another character, that character also sustains damage (regardless of whether that character is an ally or enemy). Knockback effect is not cumulative.

Knockback distance = (Attacking character’s Strength + die roll) – (Defending character’s Endurance + die roll)

If Knockback distance is zero or negative, then no Knockback effect occurs.

The Knockback damage sustained by a character being hit by defending character is calculated in the same way as the damage sustained by an attacking character who performs a ramming attack.

Damage Reduction
For all attack types, defending characters who fail to defend or counterattack successfully may still attempt to reduce some of the damage received.

Damage Reduction Value = Endurance + 2 dice rolls

Final damage sustained by defending character = attacking character’s Damage Value – defending character’s Damage Reduction Value.

Note: Attacking characters which perform ramming attacks and characters suffering from Knockback effects always sustain damage, therefore no Damage Reduction Values are applied to them.

Examples
Example 1: Starscream vs Bumblebee
Starscream attempts to shoot Bumblebee (ranged attack).
Starscream rolls a 4. His Attack Value is therefore his Skill + 4 = 8 + 4 = 12.
Bumblebee rolls a 6. His Defense Value is therefore his Skill + 6 = 9 + 6 = 15.

Bumblebee’s Defense Value is higher than Starscream’s Attack Value, so this means Bumblebee successfully counterattacks with a ranged attack. Bumblebee rolls a 3. Damage Value is therefore Bumblebee’s Fireblast / Firepower x 3 = 4 x 3 = 12.

Starscream attempts to reduce the damage he receives. He rolls two dice and gets a 3 and a 5. So his Damage Reduction Value is his Endurance + 3 + 5 = 14.

Therefore, since Starscream’s Damage Reduction Value is greater than Bumblebee’s Damage Value, Starscream receives no damage from Bumblebee’s counterattack.

Example 2: Optimus Prime vs Megatron
Optimus Prime is adjacent to Megatron and attempts to perform a grapple attack (throw).
Optimus Prime rolls a 5. His Attack Value is therefore his Strength + 5 = 10 + 5 = 15.
Megatron rolls a 2. His Defense Value is therefore his Strength + 2 = 10 + 2 = 12

Optimus Prime’s Attack Value is higher than Megatron’s Defense Value, so this means Optimus Prime successfully throws Megatron. Optimus Prime rolls a 6. Damage Value is therefore Optimus Prime’s Strength x 6 = 10 x 6 = 60.

Megatron attempts to reduce the damage he receives. He rolls two dice and gets a 6 and a 5. So his Damage Reduction Value is his Endurance + 6 + 5 = 10 + 6 + 5 = 21.

Therefore, damage sustained by Megatron is Optimus Prime’s Damage Value – Megatron’s Damage Reduction Value = 60 – 21 = 39.

We now calculate the knockback distance. Optimus Prime rolls a 5. Megatron rolls a 2. Knockback distance = (Optimus Prime’s Strength + 5) – (Megatron’s Endurance + 2) = (10 + 5) – (10 + 2) = 3.
Megatron is pushed back 3 spaces, and is knocked into Starscream!
Starscream therefore also suffers damage. Starscream rolls a 3. So the damage he sustains is = (12 – Starscream’s endurance) x 3 = (12 – 6) x 3 = 18.

Example 3: Megatron vs Optimus Prime
Megatron is adjacent to Optimus Prime and performs a point blank shot attack. Since point blank shot attacks are always successful, we move onto calculating Megatron’s Damage value.
Megatron rolls a 6. Damage Value is therefore Megatron’s Fireblast / Firepower x 6 x 2 = 10 x 6 x 2 = 120.
Optimus Prime attempts to reduce the damage sustained. He rolls a 4 and a 3. Damage Reduction Value = Optimus Prime’s Endurance + 2 dice rolls = 10 + 4 + 3 = 17.

Therefore, damage sustained by Optimus Prime is Megatron’s Damage Value – Optimus Prime’s Damage Reduction Value = 120 – 17 = 103.

Criticisms
Action Points are not used at all. What’s the point of having them (note: I was thinking about using them but haven't found them to be necessary yet)?

Movement Values are ambiguous. Just how far is 3 spaces? Is each space a set distance, or the distance according to the “footprint” of the specific figure that is moving?

Rules are not very easy to remember.

Attack types may cause balance issues with some characters (e.g. Megatron doing point blank shot attacks) being more powerful than others.

Rules do not cover all character / figure types (e.g. combiners, minicons, Energon powerlinks, micromasters, targetmasters, headmasters, powermasters, etc.). Perhaps these can be added as supplements to the Core Rules.

roller
31st May 2008, 10:43 PM
i agree with sam

this game is too hard to understand

i fold

Paulbot
31st May 2008, 11:26 PM
An interesting set of rules there. Well done. Mind if I borrow them?

SilverDragon
1st June 2008, 03:24 PM
It won't work with Animated characters. They don't have tech specs.

Sam
1st June 2008, 06:18 PM
i agree with sam

this game is too hard to understand

i fold

Well I am open to suggestions to making them easier, I don't want rules that bog down the game either.

An interesting set of rules there. Well done. Mind if I borrow them?

Not at all. Feel free to give us a streamlined version of it.

It won't work with Animated characters. They don't have tech specs.

Oh that's something I didn't know. That's too bad, I like tech specs. :)

kup
2nd June 2008, 10:10 AM
Maybe we should try to practically implement these rules at a fan meet.

It would be fun to try to play this with real G1 toys.

Sam
2nd June 2008, 07:03 PM
Well I would love to bring a few figures to try this out too, but I don't have any G1 stuff, only a very small collection of Classics.

Also I didn't write any rules for what happens if a character uses melee weapons. Supposedly this would increase melee range and damage, but I haven't thought of how it is calculated (e.g. the bigger the weapon, the more it hurts), as well as lots of other similar details...

kup
4th June 2008, 05:08 PM
Well I would love to bring a few figures to try this out too, but I don't have any G1 stuff, only a very small collection of Classics.

Also I didn't write any rules for what happens if a character uses melee weapons. Supposedly this would increase melee range and damage, but I haven't thought of how it is calculated (e.g. the bigger the weapon, the more it hurts), as well as lots of other similar details...

That would be pretty good from a collector and wargaming point of view.

The more complete your figure is the more powerful he becomes!

Lord_Zed
4th June 2008, 08:56 PM
For some reason the size of my reply is limited so here, it is cut into pieces:

I see what your trying to do, and I'm impressed with the work you've done, but as a veteran wargamer I think the rules are to much number crunching and not enough fun. I mean 1000 hitpoints for Optimus Prime, it’ll take forever to grind him down. Where’s the edge of the knife terror of imminent deactivation. Also there’s not much difference between ALT mode and Robot.

The other problem is going to be the techspecs don't gel with most wargames, having all stats 10 like Prime and Megs is like being god.

Anyways you got me thinking, and here’s what I came up with over dinner. It’s only the skeleton of the system, I did this in the fly. I will add and clean it up if people are interested. It’s not as well written as Sam’s cause I came up with it on the fly. (68 odd minutes do far).

My Main goal is to make all the Tech Spec stats useful while injecting some strategy in the system (ie which actions to use).

Lord_Zed
4th June 2008, 08:57 PM
You will need: A tape measure, 10 sided dice d10 (preferably several), some markers coins will do, pen and paper.

All measurements are in Imperial. Yes I know Goki will complain but it means less math. SPEED 6 = 6 inches is way better than SPD 6 = 6 x 2.5cm or whatever.

Some basics

all TFs move 5 inches in robot mode. (this is to save time and make veichle modes usefull)

All TF's have 2 action points. (again this is to save time and make the game more fair)

Hit points (life points etc etc) = Endurance x 10

The Leader of the force is the TF with the highest rank.

How the game is played.

At ths start of each turn players roll a d10 and add the INT of their leader, the highest player may choose to go first or second.

There are 2 parts to a turn, the action phase and the end phase.

Whichever player decides to go first activates one of thier figures. The figure may then perform as many action as it has Action points. Once it completes it's actions a counter is placed next to the figure, and the oposing player may activate one of his/her figures, play continues unti every figure in the game has a token next to it. If one player has more figures with tokens next to them than the other player, that player may choose to wait and pass his/her turn until they have equal tokens on the board.

Once all the figures have a token next to them it is the end phase. In this phase remove all tokens on the board.

And a new turn starts.

Lord_Zed
4th June 2008, 08:58 PM
Actions:

(The meat of this system is the actions that can be performed. Clever use of actions and tech spec stats brings victory. The idea is to add lots of options to make it intersting.)

When a player activates his figure he must declare an action for it. the figure then completes the action and may declare another one if it has any remaing action points.

Actions

(this is just the begginging)

Basic

Walk: the figure can move its walk distance (5) in any direction.

Transform: The figure transforms from one mode to another

Wheeled Veichle mode

Drive: The figure may move equal to its SPD (or less) in any direction.

Turbo: The figure moves twice its SPD in a straight line (no turns).

Aircraft Jets

Cruise: figure moves it's full SPD in any direction (it cannot move less).

Afterburners: figure moves between its SPD and three times its SPD in a straight line.

Helicopters

Hover: The figure may move equal to its SPD (or less) in any direction.

Thrust: The figure may move up to twice it's SPD in any direction, it must move equal to its SPD.

Melee Combat Actions.

Melee combat actions may only be used when 2 figures are encaged (IE: when they are in physical contact with each other)

Punch: Declare a target who is engaged and roll 5 d 10, for each die that scores equal ore more to the targets SKILL is considered a hit.

To calculate damage, count up all the hits and multiply that by your figures STR to get the total damage. the total damage is then reduced by the targets ENDURANCE. The reaming number is then deducted from the opponents Hit points.

Eg 3 hits with a STRENGTH of 6 on a target with ENDURANCE 7 would be 3 x 6 = 18 - the opponents ENDURANCE of 7 = 11.

Orders

Only leaders may use orders as their action, they can change the nature of the battle in an instant .

Optimus/Rodimus Prime Only

Transform and roll out All friendly figures including the figure that gave the order MUST Immediately Transform into ALT mode. None of the figures use an action to transform, nor do they count as having been activated.

Anyway let me know what you think. If the basics work then still to come are more melee attacks, Grab, throw etc etc. Aimed shots. Rams, and many more Orders.

I’d rather concentrate on a small group of TF’s only like the Classics or movie TF’s. That way I can add rules for special abilities like Mirages Invisibility and Skywap’s Teleportation

roller
4th June 2008, 09:04 PM
hey guys include G1 mainframe in your game

Sam
7th June 2008, 04:42 PM
Lord Zed - thanks for posting your version of the rules, I think in some aspects they are better than what I have (simplified, easier to remember and use) and in some other aspects I have some reservations.

I do agree that it's important to have more ways in which characters can engage in battle, though my concern is also that with more options, the complications will increase between the number of possible combinations will increase.

Additionally, d10 dice are usually only sold at hobby shops, so it would make it harder for some people to obtain. Adding the use of tape measure and imperial measurements would complicate things even more (having to bring more equipment).

Regarding health points, I had thought about using simply Endurance multipled by a factor of 10. But as I considered this, I concluded that people may end up choosing a few strong character rather than a bunch of weak characters, since calculating hit points this way means they won't last long in a fight (some characters will probably die in a single turn). However, it is probably truer to say that under the rules I use to calculate hit points, Optimus and Megatron will always be chosen since their hit points are way higher than other characters, so I think that's also a problem (though I had in mind that towards the end game, it would almost always come down to these two fighting it out).

I also think both sets of rules are number crunching in a sense, yours involving less and mine involving more. The reason I made my calculations more cumbersome was because I wanted to give the weaker characters a fighting chance, however with your simpler rules perhaps this need is removed.

I think in the end, the best way to test out these rules is to have a game or two based on both sets of rules, so that experience can help us gauge whichever set is better and more fun (or perhaps a combination of rules from both sets). If your rules are more fun to play with, I think in the end the extra equipment will not be any great obstacle, since those motivated to play will have no trouble visiting their hobby shops for d10 dice and tape measure.

I also have a request for you to add more stuff to your rules - such as special contextual rules (e.g. allied characters within a certain radius of the leader of the army receives bonuses / buffs). As you have played more tabletop games, I think you'd know what I'm talking about and can give us some insight.

Now, does anyone know if there is a public centre of some kind where tabletop games can be held (I recall there was one in Burwood, Sydney)? :)

Lord_Zed
12th June 2008, 12:22 PM
Sam-You raise some interesting points, and both systems have thier merrits.

As a wargammer I just aproach the subject from what I look for in a game nowadays. Usualy a mix of speed tactics, and flexebility.

Both ideas have the same issues, number crunching is always going to be part of these games (unless you introduce a card system), and measurement instruments and funny shaped dice are tools of the trade. I have many and can bring them to fan meets, dice can be hard to find but thier hardly exspensive. I like the idea of using the d10 simply because all tech specs are numbered from 1-10.

Balancing the chracters is always going to be a problem, Prime and Megs have god level stats, my ideal is to make it so all the stats are used in some fashion. clearly however some are more valuble than others like Endurance, and Skill, then Firepower and Strength. I've yet to work out a point system.

Indeed so far I've only fleshed out a rough system, there's more to come, problem is finding time to flesh out some more.

I'll keep you posted.

kup
13th June 2008, 11:54 AM
What would work when it comes to scale is Micromasters and World Smallest TFs.

Sam
17th June 2008, 04:21 PM
The lack of response is due to my ignorance of how Micromasters and Mini-cons are like ... I simply don't have enough experience in wargaming to give you a good, informative response.

Maybe wait for Lord_Zed's reply. :)