PDA

View Full Version : The Regret Thread

Arcee
17th October 2011, 11:10 PM
I can't be the only one here but somehow I can't find a thread of this :confused: Perhaps most normal people would prefer to lick their own wounds in the dark of the corner? :rolleyes:

We all make wrong purchases that we later feel regrets for (at least I do...a lot...). It can be just an impulse, or a bad mood, or pure stupidity, or anything else, or a combination of all. It's annoying, but can't hurt to share seeing it can be helpful for others who might otherwise make the same mistake. And if there's no lesson, it's always good for just a laugh!! After all, we being here is all about having fun in a common interest.;)

Start with my regrets. First pair, longest regret, product of pure impulse.

http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb464/leafyanna/Random/DSCN1382Small.jpg

I never liked Grandpa Sentinel Prime; but he looked somewhat nice in the box and kinda quite accurately articulate in detail. As soon as he's out of the box, collapsed.

As for Sideswipe...NOOOOOO. He should be a SILVER paint all over, or a SILVER paint all over. I like his image in the movie; god only knows why I bought this dull greyish plastic piece of...

LESSON: Stick to the characters I like; and defend their correct image!

Second one...quickest regret so far. I have no sooner bought it than I started to regret...wasn't even impulsive in any sense. A result of too much food at lunch break perhaps? Qualify for pure stupidity I guess.

http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb464/leafyanna/Random/photo3.jpg

http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb464/leafyanna/Random/photo7.jpg

I thought they were those trading cards members talked about in the other thread (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=11645)...but they are not. And they probably look better on the photo :(

Got them for $9.95 at Myer. Guess the price justifies it but still, a regret is a regret.

LESSON: if accidentally eat too much at lunch, avoid the toy section at any store.

Firestorm
17th October 2011, 11:24 PM
haha, interesting idea for a thread Arcee,

the first regret that comes to my mind would have to be ROTF Demlishor, not only did i pay extra for mine, and not only was it a pretty pathetic design/toy but mine was broken out of the box and i couldnt return it since i lost the receipt

SkyWarp91
17th October 2011, 11:43 PM
You had to come out and start bashing on movie toys already didnt you? -_-

Hursticon
17th October 2011, 11:59 PM
I personally love Leader Class Sentinel Prime, but my regretted purchases would have to be:

Classics Grimlock (If you own it, you'll know why ;))
A host of Beast Wars Neo figures (Because I turned around and sold them thinking they were Beast Machine Repaints... :o:().

Oh how I am very glad that I have learnt so much from this board. :cool:

liegeprime
18th October 2011, 12:23 AM
hmmm indeed interesting thread. My regrets would be not of toys I purchased but rather of missing out in buying the toys cheap:(:( - mostly these happened waaay back when I was a poor Uni Student when I was still in Philippines so it was not enough cash to buy a whole heap or I end up just getting what I thought at that time a good toy or just my general ignorance in TFs - I collected /bought Tfs then on the sole basis that I just get what looks good for me at the time. Little did I know that later my "what I want" would progress into... I want to complete G1 (at least to a certain degree - US based)...:p:o
These figures Im talking about are...

1. Individual G1 Dinoking figures - was sold for retail on clearance at Robinsons, they had a whole pallet and I just ignored coz I thought these were KOs( then termed as bootleg) coz I encountered the pretender monsters before and knew that the shells should be monsters not dinosaurs, pluys I thought the color scheme was rather dull... then after a month I see the Japanese Tf: Victory show on Star TV. Doh!!!... too late by then the whole pallet is gooone:(:(

2. Lio Convoy - again this is another case of , I didnt like the look of the toy then. Also I wasn't into Beast wars. I ignored the toy which was on clearance ( a whole shelf full) for 100 Pesos ( i think the exch rate was around Php 20-23 = AU$1 then) and settled to get the other toy which was on clearance and thought of better value for my money since Im getting 2 bots in one purchase - BB with Starscrem for Php600. I don't regret getting BB but not buying Lio COnvoy and now to find that it's hard to come by ( a whole wall shelf back then - shelfwarming, geez) cheap.. sigh.

3.G1 pretenders lots of em... they were being cleared out at Nova Fontana toy store for Php150 each coz these were toys that got damage boxes ( somehow their stock room got soaked in flood waters) so they were dilapidated looking but the toys are still good. I didn't like pretenders then.. thought the concept was stupid ( why am i gonna pay for immobile shells) plus I dont like the look of the innerbots - skinny and the alt modes look weird (still do but I like em better now) so I got only two then which piqued my interest a bit - Chainclaw and Catilla. Then got AM Megs and Prime in that purchase as well. Sigh looking back now I keep thinking I couldve easily completed the subsets in one go... some are hard to find nowadays and cost heaps even if the boxes are dingy I care less for the box anyways.

---- sub to this is I was choosing between getting Bludgeon or Stranglehold.. I didnt like the look of Bludgeon then SO I settled for the latter and went on my cheery way... years later after reading the comic book I fell in love with the character development of Bludgeon - ooops to late again the toy aint there anymore plus the store was going bancrupt (Nova fontana is now closed) so most of the old stock are gone coz apparently someone ( a toy collector most likely) as the story by the salesperson went came the other day and took all the Tfs in one go... all of it. How could a poor UNi student then compete with that someone with a lot of cash to blow. ah well....

4. AM Starscream - this was an old stock on clearance picked it up , umming and ahhing put it down coz I kept thinking "yeah it's Starscream but he doesnt transform, so maybe not"- the current TF series then was Beast Wars and I wasnt really buying TFs that time, just enjoying the show and wasn't actively collecting ... th efreakin non transforming toy is hard to find cheap now. and some are sold pricy as even when incomplete....

In the end though now, Im glad I finally got all these toys except for #1 and #2, ah well, some day:)

On newer toys, I don't regret buying the movie toys - movie 1 and 2 coz I ve been selective collecting again - just getting what I wanted.... I didn't get much from TF3 line - just what I wanted so even though ive boxed these up and kept them not on display atm, I still can;t bring myself to sell em or also same for the Unicron trilogy stuff coz those figures, I got only what I liked as well, not the entire line.

Nowadays those kinds of clearance doesnt happen anymore.. too many toy shops are owned by collectors themselves in the Phils so well, you get the odd clearance price, but yeah they're wise now on hard to find stuff as such. Ah well the good news only is that there is quite a lot more shops selling rather than way back when.

Arcee
18th October 2011, 12:51 AM
You had to come out and start bashing on movie toys already didnt you? -_-
...Well, you can't blame chocolate for being too delicious and you can't blame the toys for being bad after you deliberately bought bad toys I guess... (because that's pretty much what my case was :o)

Fortunately just those two I now regret about. The rest of my movie toys I'm mostly still feel satisfied seeing them. I do hate Leader Bumblebee's "armour" and I actually hate Jetwing Optimus's Jetwing. Ignoring those "superfluous", I have no complaint on the rest of my movie toys.

Before you ask...yes, I do prefer G1 now. I started with movie toys and now my G1 collection is twice the size of my movie collection :p

My regrets would be not of toys I purchased but rather of missing out in buying the toys cheap:(:( - mostly these happened waaay back when I was a poor Uni Student when I was still in Philippines so it was not enough cash to buy a whole heap or I end up just getting what I thought at that time a good toy or just my general ignorance in TFs - I collected /bought Tfs then on the sole basis that I just get what looks good for me at the time. Little did I know that later my "what I want" would progress into... I want to complete G1 (at least to a certain degree - US based)...:p:o
I'm reading what's exactly happened to me and still happening ;)

Talk about regrets of missing out on buying cheap...I believe I have a unbeaten record of that. Here's a perfect example:

I "unofficially" started my TF collection by buying a Leader Optimus amidst the heat of ROTF. After three months he's put onto a corner shelf to gather dust. After a little more than one year I was moving, and it seemed no longer attractive, so I donated it to Salvo Army.

Little did I expect that only another three months later, I went to see DOTM and got completely hooked, again. Only this time, it's destined that I won't be able to ever get over it again in three months' time :( (Yeah on the contrary I became more crazy after three months now)

So naturally what happened was I paid about double the price I paid for the Optimus I donated just to get an exact duplicate.

And that's only one of the examples...

I took consolation in that my Leader Optimus ended up in some poor kid's possession and he's at least had a happy Xmas that year.:o

Ode to a Grasshopper
18th October 2011, 01:44 AM
6800 Yen on a KO Ultra Magnus is the most recent one - thought it was legit. He's still a fun figure and all but...damn KOs.

Paying money for Brushguard (and Razorbeast) is up there too. Not good toys.

liegeprime
18th October 2011, 09:24 AM
Didn't the Leader Class Prime (with swindle) got reissued though Arcee? They did sold for clearance price of $30 (IIRC) I snatched one up just so I can have a cheap newer version- as much as I like the first release it can't combine with Jetfire so I bit the bullet to buy another so I can combine it with Jetty. He's now displayed though in the shelf of Primes/Screamers and Megs along with other some incarnates of the characters. So you paid full price for it the second time again?:(

Verno
18th October 2011, 09:50 AM
Trading a MOSC RID Mega Octane for a 'complete' BW Dinobot, that came without the mutant masks and sword. I've never traded since.

Getting screwed in my early eBay days with a KO Tigatron that never arrived.

I regret selling my MISB Op Op. He was a lovely piece.

But in order to keep ones sanity, you have to concentrate on the possitives, rather than the negative aspects of collecting (of which there are many, least of all sellers trying to screw you over)

Finding a TM2 Blackarachnia at Launceston Target and not being able to believe it as I ran to the check-out! (It was the last BW toy I ever bought from a store)

Going to TRU in Melbourne on a family holiday and getting TM Megatron, FZ Silverbolt and TM Airazor.

They're the kind of memories we need to hold on to.

5FDP
18th October 2011, 10:48 AM
Not trying to sound full of myself, but I don't regret any of my purchases.

All of them have been thought-through prior to buying to make sure they 'fit' with my collection e.g. one of every movie character, characters that I have focused on etc.

I think in the past 2 years, I've only had a couple of sale threads and none of them were to off-load toys I regretted buying.

I personally love Leader Class Sentinel Prime, but my regretted purchases would have to be:
[LIST]
*snip*

Yeeeeah.... I understand, which is why I bought Animated Grimlock instead ;)

GoktimusPrime
18th October 2011, 11:54 AM
I pre-ordered my reissue God Ginrai and paid full retail price when it came out. Then the toy shelf warmed badly and even import stores in Sydney were flogging them off at $20 a pop!

I also used to have a spare Beast Wars X-9 Ravage (MISB) which I traded off for a bunch of loose G1 and G2 toys. Shoulda hung onto that toy!

My biggest regret was trading with this #@*()!(*# in Canada -- he promised me a loose complete boxed Fortress Maximus in exchange for a MISB God Fire Convoy and a LOT of loose G1 toys... I sent them off to him... he sent nothing back. He also ran out on his girlfriend and her kids, also owing her father thousands of dollars... a real charmer. :(

jazzcomp
18th October 2011, 01:28 PM
I regret sharing toys with my younger brother who was too young to play and take care of toys properly.

SkyWarp91
18th October 2011, 04:30 PM
Not trying to sound full of myself, but I don't regret any of my purchases.

All of them have been thought-through prior to buying to make sure they 'fit' with my collection e.g. one of every movie character, characters that I have focused on etc.

I think in the past 2 years, I've only had a couple of sale threads and none of them were to off-load toys I regretted buying.

Yeeeeah.... I understand, which is why I bought Animated Grimlock instead ;)

i dont think you sound full if yourself , you should be proud of the purchases you made. My regret is buying the kabaya transformers - they do have kind of a cool gimmick but are expensive, not worth the space and are pretty crappy

jena
18th October 2011, 04:41 PM
I regret buying DOTM Leader Ironhide. I watched reviews, I knew it was pretty crap, but I went ahead and bought it anyway, mostly because I was being an emotional woman thanks to the movie. I think I'm going to make the most of a bad purchase and repaint him, make him more movie-like. Or something. I don't regret anything else.

GoktimusPrime
18th October 2011, 05:19 PM
Yeah, I don't think I regret any of my purchases... but there are some which I've been disappointed with.

Combiner Class ROTF Devastator would top this list... such an epic FAIL of a Transformer toy set... do I regret getting it? Not really; I wanted it, and I got it on sale (although it did get cheaper later)... I probably regret not waiting a bit longer for it to get cheaper, but I don't regret _getting_ the toy per se.

...I regret wanting the toy. :p

Prowl
18th October 2011, 08:23 PM
Some regrets being the following...

When my brother & his wife were in Japan I asked for G1 Transformers (before I started collecting) & was told they looked in several stores but all they had were "modern classic ones" & I told him to forget it. I should have said GET THEM ALL!!!!!

I paid not neccesarily over the odds but more than I could have for some G1 reissues as my first TF purchase in 20 years.

All in all I am pretty happy with what I have collected & only a few I regret buying as they pretty much suck as toys :)

kup
18th October 2011, 08:51 PM
I regret the 3-4 ROTF toys that I bought :(

I am somewhat beginning to see my TF1 toys (which I was happy with) as 'taking up space'.

Arcee
18th October 2011, 08:55 PM
Didn't the Leader Class Prime (with swindle) got reissued though Arcee? They did sold for clearance price of $30 (IIRC) ...... So you paid full price for it the second time again?:(
No, I didn't just pay full price, I paid DOUBLE the full price. Thank you liege for rubbing salt on my wound! (Nah don't worry, it's an old wound that only makes me laugh and doesn't hurt any more ;))

But in order to keep ones sanity, you have to concentrate on the possitives, rather than the negative aspects of collecting (of which there are many, least of all sellers trying to screw you over)

Finding a TM2 Blackarachnia at Launceston Target and not being able to believe it as I ran to the check-out! (It was the last BW toy I ever bought from a store)

Going to TRU in Melbourne on a family holiday and getting TM Megatron, FZ Silverbolt and TM Airazor.

They're the kind of memories we need to hold on to.
Yeah I think if it's not for those happy memories we wouldn't be here talking about the bad ones :o The good memories are what keeps us going regardless of all the regrets we have.

My biggest regret was trading with this #@*()!(*# in Canada -- he promised me a loose complete boxed Fortress Maximus in exchange for a MISB God Fire Convoy and a LOT of loose G1 toys... I sent them off to him... he sent nothing back. He also ran out on his girlfriend and her kids, also owing her father thousands of dollars... a real charmer. :(
You always have some world class stories there Goki.

And why should you remorse over something that's NOT your fault???? (You see my case I have no one to blame but my own stupidity :o)

I regret buying DOTM Leader Ironhide. I watched reviews, I knew it was pretty crap, but I went ahead and bought it anyway, mostly because I was being an emotional woman thanks to the movie. I think I'm going to make the most of a bad purchase and repaint him, make him more movie-like. Or something. I don't regret anything else.
Jena, next time think about all those extra shoes and purses we've bought but only used once or worse, never even opened the package -- your Ironhide will look such a wise choice in contrast :D:p

Aqua Prime
19th October 2011, 10:00 AM
My regret is spending so much on transformers. It's like watching money pouring out of my bank account.

I regret not buying up Energon Unicron's back in the day. I got mine for clearance at Kmart for about $50. Not buying up Classics's Starscream, Skywarp and Ultra Magnus sets.

loophole
19th October 2011, 05:57 PM
i regret buying movie tickets to see DOTM

1orion2many
19th October 2011, 06:32 PM

:eek:God I hope that doesn't make me an emotional woman as I did the same thing but I don't regret it:D

LordCyrusOmega
19th October 2011, 10:17 PM
I don't exactley regret my purchases, but there are a few that if I could go back and stop myself I would. Ultimate Bumblebee comes to mind.

The majority of my regrets come from things I didn't buy at the time of release and now can't find. They were repaints and I didn't buy repaints at the time. Classicverse Sideswipe, Ultra magnus, Skywarp and Ramjet come to mind.

GoktimusPrime
19th October 2011, 11:13 PM
My mum got all the mail-away exclusives and divided them among my brother, a cousin and myself. Among the toys we decided to give to our cousin, one was Time Warrior... because at the time I just looked at it as a piece of merchandise rather than a TF action figure (oh wait, that's exactly what it is! :p). Then my cousin went and lost it.

*sigh*

Sam
20th October 2011, 09:56 PM
One figure I didn't really like but after buying was Energon Arcee. It's not that I dislike the Arcee character, but that I disliked that particular figure.

My other regrets are giving away the following G1 figures (complete with boxes and all accessories) to a neighbour when I was 15:

- Pipes
- Soundwave
- Metroplex
- Powermaster Slapdash
- Targetmaster Triggerhappy
- Predacon Tantrum

Clutchkick
27th October 2011, 04:21 PM
when i first got back into transformers some 6 years ago, i killed the following when i first started kitbashing:

Rotorstorm
Boss
Hurricane
Thunderclash

...why? WHY?!?!!! they were all in such nice condition, too.

kup
27th October 2011, 04:58 PM
when i first got back into transformers some 6 years ago, i killed the following when i first started kitbashing:

Rotorstorm
Boss
Hurricane
Thunderclash

...why? WHY?!?!!! they were all in such nice condition, too.

Those are toys that you and future generations will not be able to enjoy :(

SkyWarp91
27th October 2011, 05:00 PM
*spoilers*

I TOTALLY regretted watching ROTF as soon as I saw Sam go to Robot Heaven

Tallestblue
27th October 2011, 05:53 PM
I regret the Star Wars Transformers. Flimsy pieces of junk that were thrown in a box and turned yellow. The only cool one is the Darth Vader/Death Star, mostly because it's Darth Vader AND the Death Star.

Clutchkick
31st October 2011, 01:31 PM
Those are toys that you and future generations will not be able to enjoy :(

I'm actually in the process of resurrecting the ones that i can, i think thunderclash's trailer is gone, but hurricane and boss are gonna get some articulation and some new paint, as they will never be original again. Rotorstorm is already 95% done, i'll post in the creative bit soon ;).

ON TOPIC: I regret Movie 1 Megatrons, ROTF Payload, and all Powercore guys.

...and not getting Classics starscream.

GoktimusPrime
31st October 2011, 02:51 PM
I almost always pre-order any Japanese toy that I want - which usually works out well for me because it means I get the toy at the original retail price. But sometimes this can work against me when the toy shelf-warms and gets heavily discounted... the "worst" case of this was the God Ginrai reissue -- paid full retail for that sucker (7980JPY - about $90-100)... then later on it shelf warmed so badly that even local import stores in Sydney were selling them for just $20! :eek:

I should've gotten a second one at that price to keep sealed. Gah... damnit.

liegeprime
31st October 2011, 07:19 PM
I almost always pre-order any Japanese toy that I want - which usually works out well for me because it means I get the toy at the original retail price. But sometimes this can work against me when the toy shelf-warms and gets heavily discounted... the "worst" case of this was the God Ginrai reissue -- paid full retail for that sucker (7980JPY - about $90-100)... then later on it shelf warmed so badly that even local import stores in Sydney were selling them for just $20! :eek:

I should've gotten a second one at that price to keep sealed. Gah... damnit.

or mebbe 3-4 so you could've sold them at todays prices ;).... or you could have just displayed them in various modes heheheh:D:p

dirge
31st October 2011, 07:28 PM
BM Mega Cheetor. Even on clearance he wasn't worth it. Awful toy. But hey, I had the good sense to ignore the Supreme version (:

GoktimusPrime
31st October 2011, 08:22 PM
Unlike people like me who purchased Supreme Cheetor at full retail. Man that thing kept on shelf-warming and shelf-warming and TRU never did discount it (much like what's happening w/ Ghost Starscream now, only on a way larger scale)

LordCyrusOmega
31st October 2011, 09:31 PM
I regret during periods of drought in retail stores spending my money on other things (that I really don't need) instead of saving the money and getting something I've been waiting for

Lord_Zed
2nd November 2011, 08:16 PM
I don't have any major TF regrets that come to mind, my only related major regret was selling my MASK trucks as a child, they were all in such good condition. I then used the money to buy Turbomasters, which were cool, but not MASK truck cool.

I suppose I regret buying many Armadaverse toys, but I sold them too, so problem solved.

Unlike people like me who purchased Supreme Cheetor at full retail. Man that thing kept on shelf-warming and shelf-warming and TRU never did discount it (much like what's happening w/ Ghost Starscream now, only on a way larger scale)

Except ghost Starscream may actually be worth $100.

GoktimusPrime
2nd November 2011, 08:46 PM
Except ghost Starscream may actually be worth $100.

Except that they're selling him for $250... ;)

Slag
4th November 2011, 10:14 AM

A host of Beast Wars Neo figures (Because I turned around and sold them thinking they were Beast Machine Repaints... :o:().

Oh how I am very glad that I have learnt so much from this board. :cool:

Whats the problem with classics Grimlock? I Don't own him but I was thinking about buying him.

LordCyrusOmega
4th November 2011, 10:24 AM
[LIST]

I own Classics Grimlock and I don't see the problem. I thought it was an interesting revamp for the toy.

kaiden
4th November 2011, 10:46 AM
I dont think classics grimlock is a bad toy just not epic like his MP self.

i regret buying TFC Battle Roller. that was a flimsy POS.
and pretty muh all the Power core combiners except maybe huffer.

STL
4th November 2011, 11:58 AM
I like this thread.

and pretty muh all the Power core combiners except maybe huffer.

I agree on TFC battle Roller. I still haven't even opened it. Bad choice.

My other regret were all the Kabaya figures I bought. Never got around to building them and hated the stickers.

Also those non-transforming gold ones that came with coffee in Japan. I them as I can't ever see myself displaying them (and that's ignoring the space issue)

Paul Agnew
4th November 2011, 12:30 PM
God Ginrai reissue -- paid full retail for that sucker (7980JPY - about $90-100)... then later on it shelf warmed so badly that even local import stores in Sydney were selling them for just $20!

God Ginrai? $20?!

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/1305/shockvic.png

Hursticon
4th November 2011, 12:41 PM
God Ginrai? $20?!
*snip*

Yeah, I know... I hate it whenever Goki brings that up. :o:p

jimoinj
4th November 2011, 01:18 PM
Regrets, I've had a few.

1) Leaving the bulk of my Chinese Transformers with a "friend" when I came back to Australia. They included MP Grimlock, Megatron, a bunch of Henkeis and Classics as well as G1 reissue Megatron from Japan. The "friend" somehow managed to "lose" them.

2) Selling off my old G1 Transformers for a pittance as a kid at a 2nd hand market, including Grimlock and Sludge, Pretenders, Headmasters, Cyclonus and Scourge. Along with lots of vintage Star Wars figures.

3) Buying that Japanese reissue Optimus Prime with mini hot rod figure (can't remember it's name) at a premium price. Later when I wanted to sell it found it was unwanted by fandom.

GoktimusPrime
4th November 2011, 01:57 PM
Yeah but Classics Grimlock was $25 whereas MP Grimmie was about $150! I find Classics Grimlock to be better value for money than MP Grimmie.

liegeprime
4th November 2011, 02:07 PM

+1 to this, I almost forgot this 3rd party thing coz its piled somewhere, somewhere in the collection room it is a POS:p:p

GoktimusPrime
4th November 2011, 02:16 PM
God Ginrai? $20?!
Yup.

I really should've bought a second one for that price... and it was at local import stores in Sydney too, so no need for postage -- just walk in, pay $20, walk out with toy in hand. Gah!!

liegeprime
4th November 2011, 02:19 PM
Yup.

I really should've bought a second one for that price... and it was at local import stores in Sydney too, so no need for postage -- just walk in, pay $20, walk out with toy in hand. Gah!!

you shouldve bought 5!!

GoktimusPrime
4th November 2011, 03:27 PM
...and to think that I paid about $90 for mine... *headbutts.wall* Gah!

Still, most of the time pre-ordering Japanese toys works out well for me because the aftermarket prices either tend to remain stable or appreciate afterwards... but God Ginrai was one case when the price just came crashing down. :(

Another time when pre-order kinda backfired on me (kinda) is when I pre-ordered Encore Metroflex and eHobby GADEP (Guardian Robot)... because just as they came out the Aussie Dollar plummeted (it was around the time the GFC happened), meaning that I ended up paying a lot more for those toys due to losing out through a crappy exchange rate. :( And apparently Encore Metroflex shelf-warmed in a lot of Asian stores afterwards (great). Ah well.

Overall I do like pre-ordering because I do pay the regular retail price (which is fine), it just sucks if there's a massive sale later, but that's only ever happened with God Ginrai; I've never seen a reissue sell for so cheap under import prices too! (but that was because Takara seriously overproduced that toy driving its value down) -- I already pre-ordered Encore Devastator months ago... I'd rather have the security of getting the toy as soon as it's out rather than risk not getting it later and possibly having to waste more time and money finding it and paying more. The paying more part especially displeases me. ;p

But honestly, if Devastator turns out to shelf warm and the prices get slashed later... meh... I'm happy to keep the pre-order and pay full price. Another thing is that I do get the toy earlier... Ginrai didn't get discounted to that price until a lot later, like maybe a year or so after it first came out? I know some people are patient enough to wait months or years to see if the price will drop to get a toy (it could work for Jetwing Prime and Ultimate Optimus Prime) - but then again, I'm not too good with waiting. ;) Also, I think $90 is a fair price to pay for a MISB God Ginrai reissue. Whereas I thought the original asking prices for Jetwing and Ultimate DOTM OPs were too high, so I waited until they got cheaper before buying them... and I can understand it if some people are still waiting to see if they'll get any cheaper (they're both still massively shelfwarming).

But yeah, every time I think back to seeing God Ginrai at Modellers World for $20 each... I regret not picking up another one (or five :p). This thread makes Goki a sad panda. ;)

kaiden
4th November 2011, 05:59 PM
Yeah but Classics Grimlock was $25 whereas MP Grimmie was about $150! I find Classics Grimlock to be better value for money than MP Grimmie.

well, value for money is subjective especially in regards to Transformers these days. the after market prices of G1 is a good indicator.

MP Grimlock is more expensive of course but for me it definitely had more play value and displays great. Henkei Grimlock even with the g3 sword didn't really do much for me and is packed away.

If there was a regret for the Takara MP Grimlock I have it would be that it didn't have the accessories that the Hasbro version had.

Henkei Grimlock I regret I bought to complete the line rather than actually enjoy as a toy.

GoktimusPrime
5th November 2011, 12:32 AM
well, value for money is subjective especially in regards to Transformers these days. the after market prices of G1 is a good indicator.
I don't think aftermarket prices for G1 is good value at all. I don't really collect toys in the aftermarket.

MP Grimlock is more expensive of course but for me it definitely had more play value and displays great. Henkei Grimlock even with the g3 sword didn't really do much for me and is packed away.

For me, I feel that Classics Grimlock is worth the $25 I paid for him. He has good articulation, good light piping, I like the gun-sword (a neat homage to G1 Pretender Grimlock's weapon)... the tail weapon's a bit funky... but it's cool how it's articulated and visually is kinda like another Pretender Grimmie homage (arguably even a Transmetal Megatron tribute too). My main criticisms of the toy would be that the robot shoulders could lock in tighter -- they sometimes disconnect during toy play. Ditto the dino mode arms. But it's not as bad as the joints on some Deluxe TFs who cannot lock at all like say Deluxe TF movie Decepticon Brawl (although there is a way to compensate for this), and worse still, Reveal the Shield Jazz - I can't stand how his chest keeps flopping around during play, and unlike Brawl I can't find an easy way to compensate for this. Overall, I think it's a neat Deluxe and fairly good value at the Deluxe price point.

MP Grimlock on the other hand is the most expensive MP I've ever bought. The second most expensive was Thundercracker which cost me 10500JPY (AU$130). MP Hasbro Starscream was $100 and Rodimus was $80 (the cheapest), and all other MPs cost me 10290JPY (AU$126).

MP Grimlock's not a bad toy - in fact, he offers better play value than many other MPs, but he is distinctly the most simple of the MPs in terms of engineering (well, aside from MP Rodimus Convoy's trailer - which I don't have anyway :p). From waist down the toy does feel like a Masterpiece, but from waist up he feels more like an oversized G1 toy. As I said, it's not a bad design, but I don't think it was worth $150.

Lemme put it this way, when I bought MP Grimlock my initial thoughts were that it's a nice toy, but I felt a bit ripped off paying $150 for it. When I bought Classics Grimlock while it didn't blow my socks off, I didn't feel that I'd spent too much money on it. Value for money may be subjective (possibly because it depends on one's standards and values) - but I personally found Classics Deluxe Grimlock to be better value than MP Grimlock.

If there was a regret for the Takara MP Grimlock I have it would be that it didn't have the accessories that the Hasbro version had.
When Takara MP Grimlock came out, I really wanted it, but I missed it because it came out just a few months before my daughter was born - so I was kinda pinching pennies at the time. In hindsight, I'm actually glad that I skipped Takara MP Grimmie in favour of Hasbro because of the accessories - especially because I just love G1 comic Grimlock and I find G1 cartoon Season 3 Grimlock to be annoying (I don't like how he and the Dinobots were reduced to bumbling infantile clowns after Transformers The Movie). And I've never been a fan of Nel Yomtov's colouring, so Hasbro's MP Grimmie gives me the best of both worlds - nice G1 toy accurate colours and his crown!

Also, I thought Tomy MP Grimmie was overpriced (so was Hasbro's, but Tomy's was more expensive! - 13650JPY = AU$168) -- but maybe for someone who prefers cartoon Grimlock over comic Grimlock Tomy MP Grimmie might be gooderer for them, and while they may pay $18 more (before postage), it does have a much nicer box and inserts (Hasbro's MP boxes are just suck).

Henkei Grimlock I regret I bought to complete the line rather than actually enjoy as a toy.
Yeah, but for $25 (2000JPY) did you feel it was particularly poor value for money?

Lord_Zed
5th November 2011, 12:51 AM
I can see Kaiden's point on this somewhat, I find Classics Grimlock uninspiring, certainly don't regret buying him, but I did take him apart to try to customize him and make him more exciting. Except now I,m not sure where his parts are.

And as Gok mentioned vale for money is pretty personal, I paid a small fortune for MP Grimlock, but found I had no regrets, to me the finish and end product make the toy feel worth it's price. While I would say the same of classics Grimlock, the finish of the product feels appropriately cheaper, so for me neither constitutes better value for money for me.

However on a personal note Deluxe Grimlock is the less inspiring design.

No regrets though so guess I'm getting of topic.

Except that they're selling him for $250... ;)

Not in Japan. :)

Slag
6th November 2011, 06:19 PM
My most recent regret is K.O. or reissue metro-titan. I thought It would be o.k.
and heaps cheaper than the real deal, But after 15 minutes with him,
I couldn't handle it, with it's sloppy joints and whack colour scheme..

I had to go get the real thing and now i can't afford to eat for the rest of the year:mad::p