PDA

View Full Version : Animated Wave 1 toys - comments and poll.

griffin
25th May 2008, 04:22 PM
Now that the first wave of Animated will be appearing in Australian retail stores over the next month, and some have already acquired a number of Animated toys (and already been reviewing some of them), this is for general comments on the first wave. And a poll ONLY IF YOU HAVE THE TOYS OR REFUSE TO BUY THEM.

First Wave:
Deluxe Bumblebee
Deluxe Lockdown
Deluxe Optimus Prime
Deluxe Prowl
Voyager Bulkhead
Voyager Megatron
Voyager Starscream
2-pack Megatron Vs Optimus Prime (battle damaged) with DVD.

(the delayed release of Animated toys means that some of the second wave are being released as well, like Ratchet, Blackarachnia, Leader Megatron, Leader Bulkhead, Activators Bumblebee, Activators Bulkhead, Activators Starscream - each of these can be mentioned here as well if you get them)

This is not for reviewing later wave figures that people are buying loose from non-retail sources, as they are not official (or maybe even legal) purchases. Figures must be bought complete in packaging to make sure you get the final (real) version.

Deluxe Bumblebee
Would probably end up being a more iconic character to Animated than Optimus, due to screen time and plot focus, so the toy has to be better than average. Unfortunately, I found that as good as it looks in both modes, the transformation difficulty level would be above the younger age group this show is aiming for. It is a very fiddely toy, and requires a significant amount of force to separate and merge the legs together. The car mode is almost flawless, with all the robot bits tucked inside a shell made from many parts and panels. The robot mode has very little kibble as well, which adds to the complexity and fiddely nature of the transformation to get ever panel and limb in place. The rockets are a nice accessory, reflecting events in two episodes (so far). Plus he also has the hand 'guns' like in the cartoon, making him the only Autobot in the first wave to have a 'laser type' weapon. Very recommended.

Deluxe Lockdown
Wasn't sure if this character would return before the end of season 2, but apparently does have more than one appearance. Which is good, as we don't have many semi or non-alligned characters in the Transformers universe. The toy was said to be originally intended as a Voyager size, but I guess the scale of the car mode made it more suitable as a Deluxe. As such, they engineered the transformation to get as much height from the robot mode as possible, with the folding at the waist and leg extensions. It ends up being the tallest figure in the first wave, taller than the three Voyagers. One major problem I have with this figure is that the legs slide up against the painted chest in car mode, and starts scratching away the green paint. Also, the paint apps seem to be a little messy on this toy. Both modes are great though, and the transformation is fairly easy - getting the arms in the right spot in car mode can be a bit tricky. Very recommended.

Deluxe Optimus Prime (Cybertron mode)
Very similar in general shape and appearance as the 2-pack Earth mode Prime, and have the same 'retarded looking' truck mode. Not very impressed by this figure, as it really needs a trailer to hide the legs and gaps and arms and, well, everthing at the back. The front isn't too good either with a huge segemented hinge thing in the middle below the windscreen. Fairly simplistic transformation though, but make sure you get to transform it to robot mode (and not someone else) so that you get an idea where everything fits. Or you could just follow the instructions. I'd be tempted to say, wait for the Voyager sized Optimus and see which of the four main ones (Deluxe, 2-pack, Voyager, Super) is best. I haven't had a good look at the Voyager one, but of the other three, the 2-pack version is the best to me. This one is not recommended unless you want the Cybertronian mode and face version (different face to the 2-pack Prime).

Deluxe Prowl
Motorcycle Transformers are very difficult to engineer, and this one is done so well that it would be virtually impossible for a young kid to properly transform it back to bike mode. The robot legs and waist are just so fiddely and obscured by the bike's side panels, you need coordination of an adult but tiny fingers of a child to best get the parts into where they need to go. The bike mode is amazing, with almost no sign of robot or non-motorbike parts showing to even give it away as a Transformers toy. The 'star' weapons are good, and 'hide' well on the bike mode, but the traffic light weapon is strange. Can't recall it in the cartoon, and it seems a little destructive for an Autobot, or crude for Prowl for that matter, to destroy a human object and use it as a weapon. If the upcoming sidecar attachment is also sold as a deluxe, I guess the traffic light weapon was just thrown in to bulk up the pack a little (it's the smallest looking carded figure on the shelf). Recommended, but be prepared for frustration when trying to get it back to bike mode. Perhaps wait a little to see if there is an announcement on if the side-car version is a recolour. If it isn't and it is also sold as a deluxe, wait for it instead (if not a completist).

Voyager Bulkhead
The pleasant surprise of the first wave. It was actually shelf-warming in America when the Animated toys were being released in Cincinnati, either due to it being in greater quantities in the assortment cases, or the character and vehicle mode being the least exciting of the first wave (people prioritising their spending). When people get the toy though, there doesn't appear to be much negativity over it. It's robot mode is almost entirely concealed in the vehicle mode, while there is very little kibble in the robot mode itself. It even uses two of the vehicle panels like wings behind the head, which are so unobtrusive, it just suits the figure being there. Transformation is very simple as well. The robot mode is a bit out of proportion, but then so is the cartoon version, so it matches. The ball and chain weapon is a bit of fun. The size of the figure to other toys has been an issue to others, but not to me, as I've never really been too fussed about size scales. The Leader size may help compensate that though. Very recommended.

Voyager Megatron
Both Megatrons in this first wave are the Cybertronian form, which is so bizarre, I'm still not sure which is the front - the pointy end of the body section, or the rounded end of the cannon section (which could be seen as cock-pit windows). The packaging for both has the jet mode flying with the pointy end at the back, which means the cannon isn't used as a weapon in the jet mode. The cartoon doesn't help either, as his Cybertronian mode is used for about 3 seconds, and most of that is distant while he is flying to the Autobot ship. The flat end of the cannon looks like it is facing to the front, but is too far forward, while the parts of the jet mode are all different to the toy. This toy looks to be something Hasbro designed without any requirement to accurately resemble its appearance on the cartoon. As such, it is difficult to know which is the front. Ah well, I'm calling the pointy end the front, which looks more 'jet-like'. It's all rather moot though, because in either direction, the jet mode looks terrible. It's a scrunching up of robot parts into a ball, and calling it something. The packaging should say 'kid's imagination required', like when it says batteries are required on other figures. Transformation has an 'auto-morph' element (many of the Animated toys do), which is something carried on from the Movie era. It's a nice gimmick, but shouldn't be used too often or spoil the engineering of a toy to include it. Robot mode is good, but the arm cannon is wrong - packaging pictures suggest that it can fold up onto the arm, but the actual toy and instructions have it sticking out like unwanted kibble. Maybe a late engineering change to fix up a design flaw, but it has spoilt the look of the robot mode. Robot head reflects the transition in the cartoon of Movie Megatron head (start of series as Cybertronian mode) to Gen1 Megatron head (in Sumdacs lab and in Earth mode). This one and the 2-pack have the pointed, almost diamond shaped head like Movie Megatron, while the Earth mode Megatron has the bucket shaped head like Gen1 Megatron. It's like the Animated cartoon reverse-evolved the Megatron head from Movie universe to Gen1 universe. If wanting just one Cybertron mode Megatron, maybe get the cheaper 2-pack, since they are both very similar in look and transformation. Otherwise get this one as the bigger of the two, if wanting better size scale. Barely recommended though, as there is the much nicer Earth Mode Leader sized Megatron toy in the second wave.

Voyager Starscream
I love the jet mode of this thing, at least from the top. It is very Cybertronian in its look, and has a bit of an Armada Starscream look to it as well. As much as I like realist Earth moded Transformers, I like the look of alt modes that remind me of the classic Cybertronian vehicle modes, and this looks like something you'd see in the background of a Gen1 comic like the Headmasters series or UK comic. Even side-on, the robot bits don't stand out or stick out, and the legs join up seemlessly to the body of the jet mode to make it a really nicely designed jet mode. I think the two main auto-morph gimmicks have actually hurt this toy though. The arm panels connected the missile launchers have prevented the launchers from being removable and relocated to somewhere like the wings (which would be the case in past jet-formers), so now look like jet exhaust, from a part that isn't even its engines. Meanwhile the jet's nose looks a little odd as a retractable extension, just so that it can retract for the robot mode. Admitedly, the robot mode would look worse if the nose stayed long, but past jet-formers would have had it fold back or something. Transformation to robot mode is very easy, but getting the limbs lined up properly for the jet mode gets a little frustrating, and looks to affect the cog alignment in the auto-morph front section. The robot face and hands of this figure are sculpted to make some very nice looking poses. Very recommended though, as one of my favourite in the first wave.

2-pack Megatron Vs Optimus Prime (battle damaged) with DVD.
Right up until I actually got this set, I was under the belief that these were just two recoloured toys that were being released separately, without the battle damage. Well, I was totally wrong. These two figures are not just two new moulds, but aren't even just shrunken down versions of their Voyager sized versions. The battle damage is just paint apps, but at this time, there has been no indication yet that these two figures are to be release outside of their 2-pack format. They are both deluxe sized (Optimus is exactly the same size as the Deluxe Cybertron mode Prime), and come with a bonus DVD. Okay, so the DVD only has one episode to make sure people still buy the retail release 3-episode intro to the series, but it is still a nice sampling of the main cast of Autobots and Decepticons.
Both figures come with a 'power punch' gimmick, which like the 80s He Man toys, you swing around the top half of the robot mode at the waist, and it springs back around, punching at the opposing toy. Unfortanetly, as with most Transformers gimmicks, it has ruined my Optimus toy, preventing it from being lined up properly at the waist.
Optimus Prime - This being the earth mode version, the front of the truck mode has a different looking windscreen and emergency lights, but otherwise the overall appearance is very similar to the Cybertronian Mode version. So much so, it suffers as well at the back with the legs and gaps and arms and stuff, and really really needs a trailer/fire truck rear section to cover it all up. But at least the front cab section from the front and sides, doesn't look as bad. For some reason I like the axe on this one. It seems that all four regular line Prime toys have an axe, but this one I like the most. And take note of the different face on this one, as it has the battle mask, looking more like a real Prime, rather than the 'young-bot' face of the Deluxe Cybertronian mode toy. Transfomation is almost identical to the Deluxe figure.
Megatron - Same issues with the jet mode as the Voyager sized figure above, so I won't repeat myself here. Transformation is similar but a little less fiddely. The big problem I have with this toy is the knee joints. They are designed to pop out if too much force is applied, but with a slight variance on the parts sizes (either through production or playing), the lower leg just falls out of the 'socket'. The 'joint' requires pressure against it to transform the leg section, but it's design to make the knee very mobile and articulated means the 'socket' isn't able to take the force of the transformation in mine, and probably others. Just holding the toy in robot mode, and the leg falls off, which is a pity, because I would probably recommend this version of Cybertron version Megatron - for the cheaper option of a vehicle that appears for only 3 seconds on the cartoon, and a better usage of the arm cannon in robot mode (it actually plugs into the arm on this one).
Overall, slightly recommended to recommended, but it depends on if you want Voyager or 2-pack (Deluxe) sized versions of these two Mode versions. Personally, I'd prefer the Voyager sized (Earth) Optimus and the 2-pack sized (Cybertron) Megatron for their comparative alt-modes.

Paulbot
25th May 2008, 04:45 PM
With the three I have, Bumblebee and the Two-Pack, I have been very impressed with them.

The robot modes are excellent, easy to pose and full of character. I can hear the characters voices in my heads just holding them, which might also say something about how good the cartoon is in establishing the characters.

These feel more like action figures than transforming robots, and are better because they can also transform. The transformations are fun, although Megatron's cybertronian vehicle mode is a bit vauge.

I like all the little grooves and pegs that make the vehicle modes (and elements of the robot modes) hold together very well.

And, now that I can, I am tempted to go back to the store and buy the rest of the first wave instead of waiting for sales at the big chain stores.

Pulse
25th May 2008, 07:34 PM
I know there's a lot of hype out in TF Fandom for these figures at the moment but speaking for me - I've already made my mind up - I refuse to purchase any Animated figures (well, except for a G1esque Arcee :)).

STL
25th May 2008, 11:18 PM
And, now that I can, I am tempted to go back to the store and buy the rest of the first wave instead of waiting for sales at the big chain stores.

That's just right after you telling me yesterday we should wait for the inevitable sales. You are so weak. :p

kurdt_the_goat
26th May 2008, 01:17 AM
I have Cybertron OP, Prowl, Starscream and Leader Megatron and so far, I rated excellent. I agree mostly with griffin - but I quite like the design of Cybertron OP. The wheels and generally wide shoulders remind me of War Within OP, and i love the more futuristic look of his tank tread/back wheels (the silver on blue looks great). I also don't have a problem with his back, i thought it was quite clever how the axe makes a peg that could theoretically be for a trailer. The front grill gaps do look like it should close in though, but for me it's not a big deal, considering i like the rest of the design (windscreen and angled up back/smokestacks etc. He really clips in solidly when you've got it all in place, which feels really satisfying. I don't know if it's my toy alone, but the wind vane on Henkei OP can easily flip up which pisses me off.. none of that here.

I can't find the exact video, but i remember seeing one where the punch gimmick was causing 2-pack OP to slouch to one side. Half way through the vid tho, the guy accidentally knocked the leg (counter to the direction of the waist mis-alignment) and it clicked into place and stopped slouching. Might be worth a shot!

Edit: found the video - http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=W0X9O0pj2JA 8 mins in, he clicks it into place.

kup
26th May 2008, 09:36 AM
I know there's a lot of hype out in TF Fandom for these figures at the moment but speaking for me - I've already made my mind up - I refuse to purchase any Animated figures (well, except for a G1esque Arcee :)).

The only figures I have in mind are the following and I don't really want them because they are Animated but rather because they look like the closest representation of a G1 character that we are likely ever to get:

- Animated Arcee: Its very close to the G1 Arcee character model and the Animated style does not hurt the look much.

- Lockdown: He is way too similar character in looks and overall characterization to the Marvel UK character, Deaths Head. I want him just for that. The only thing missing in the character is the "Yes..". However Death's Head was never a Cybertronian so he didn't transform.

jaydisc
26th May 2008, 10:35 PM
I've slightly changed my opinions on the three voyagers:

Bulkhead: 9 (he rules!)
Starscream: 7
Megatron: 5

I had initially given Starscream and Megs a 6 and 4 respectively, but upgraded them based on their great robot modes.

However, I really like the general direction of the toys. If I had to vote now, I'd say Mostly Good, so I'm going to wait, as I think that after a few more acquisitions, I'll upgrade to Excellent.

And all you naysayers, you won't last. You'll see.

i_amtrunks
27th May 2008, 10:34 AM
I'm waiting for more figures to arrive, as I do not want to base my judgement purely on Bulkhead alone, since he seems to be the hidden jewel of the first wave.

Soundwarp
27th May 2008, 12:21 PM
Booo

What about the rest of the normal world that doesn't have them!

The_Damned
27th May 2008, 02:41 PM
just got BB and reckon he is very show accurate in appearance i bot and alt mode.

Paulbot
27th May 2008, 02:52 PM
The_Damned, or Griffin, does your Bumblebees' 'stinger's fully retract? My one gripe with an otherwise excellent toy is they are always visible in robot mode and don't fully get hidden "up his sleeve" so to speak.

Paulbot
27th May 2008, 03:34 PM
Not any more.

The_Damned
27th May 2008, 03:41 PM
The_Damned, or Griffin, does your Bumblebees' 'stinger's fully retract? My one gripe with an otherwise excellent toy is they are always visible in robot mode and don't fully get hidden "up his sleeve" so to speak.

was going to post a pic but i cant get the stingers to fully retract either.

The_Damned
27th May 2008, 03:48 PM
here is a little post that helped me out.

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=166616

if you couldnt be bothered waiting for it to load you just have to push them in with a bit of force......

Paulbot
27th May 2008, 04:08 PM
Excessive force (tm) is required?? I will give it a go.

kurdt_the_goat
27th May 2008, 06:07 PM
Alternatively you can try shaving a hair off as described in this video (http://youtube.com/watch?v=_QDUQ-250ss) - makes it sound easy at least.

Tiby
30th May 2008, 07:04 PM
My Cybertron OP Deluxe cracked on his shoulders first time I touched them. The ball joints made a "click" sound and then a crack line appeared all the way through the socket.

Has this happened to anyone else? Really annoyed.

kurdt_the_goat
30th May 2008, 07:14 PM
Mine are really, really stiff - but no cracks. Can you take them back for a swap/refund? Drag a little kid along with you to make them feel guilty!

Tiby
30th May 2008, 07:15 PM
I thought I'd see what everyone else has, then I might return him. If it is a design flaw, then there is no point.

SilverDragon
30th May 2008, 07:42 PM
I just got Starscream (OW MY WALLET). He is cool.

Pros:
-Awesome and unique jet mode.
-No ginormous undercarriage kibble like Movie Starscream.
-Is quite show-accurate in robot mode within the limits of a toy.
-Can pose really well (fingers!!!).
-Nice colours (even though they aren't totally show-accurate, it's far more interesting).
-Missiles effing rock.
-So does the automorph.
-So does the landing gear.

(Decepti)Cons:
-Some balance problems.
-Issues with stowing the limbs in transformation.
-Problem with back fin-things: they come off too easily, and are way too stiff, for things the instructions say flip out

Despite these flaws, Animated Starscream gets an A.

Kyle
31st May 2008, 12:12 AM
Very happy with my 2-pack. The deluxe-size Earth mode OP inside is simply beautiful. I wouldn't mind if they release a repaint of him without battle damage. But even with all the battle damage I'm still very happy with mine. :)

Thanatos
31st May 2008, 11:47 AM
Can anyone post a picture of the animated 2 pack figures with a scale I can visualize? Like Movie Bumblebee or a can of Coke or something so I know how big they are. Even against other Animated figures.

I'm mainly buying the 2 pack when it gets here to Brisbane for Megatron superiority to the Voyager class cybertron mode. I'll probably buy the Voyager Earth Prime and the Leader Earth Megatron when they come out, so I'm just seeing if it's worthwhile or not. :D

Gutsman Heavy
31st May 2008, 01:21 PM
I wish starscream had show accurate cannons :(

Paulbot
31st May 2008, 05:24 PM
Can anyone post a picture of the animated 2 pack figures with a scale I can visualize? Like Movie Bumblebee or a can of Coke or something so I know how big they are. Even against other Animated figures.

Here you go. They are deluxe size figures.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3008/2537514109_a9925e15ee_o.jpg

Kyle
31st May 2008, 05:34 PM
My Cybertron OP Deluxe cracked on his shoulders first time I touched them. The ball joints made a "click" sound and then a crack line appeared all the way through the socket.

Has this happened to anyone else? Really annoyed.

Mine are really, really stiff - but no cracks. Can you take them back for a swap/refund? Drag a little kid along with you to make them feel guilty!

I thought I'd see what everyone else has, then I might return him. If it is a design flaw, then there is no point.

A mate at uni and I each bought one. Mine: Stiff shoulders with "white" stress marks but no cracks (yet), probably just like kurdt's. But with TWO left fists. :(

My mate's: Just like Tiby, the ball joint on left shoulder made a "click" sound and then a crack line appeared all the way through the socket, also the first time he touched it. Right shoulder has no crack yet. :/

Tiby
31st May 2008, 05:47 PM
This does not bode well for the line. Thanks guys for the reports.

My Bumblebee also had some stress marks out of the box on his rear window :(

Why oh why can't Hasbro get this right after 24 years!?!?!

dirge
31st May 2008, 06:23 PM
I guess the QC fits into my (very low) opinion of the line ):

Pulse
31st May 2008, 08:20 PM
I thought the line with the worst QC was the movie line...

Don't they ever learn from their mistakes? :confused:

Kyle
31st May 2008, 08:35 PM
Poor QC aside, I still find the toys excellent. I have the same feeling as Paulbot in post #2. These are some of the nicest "action figures" I have played with in recent years. Full of character, and very nice to pose. I'm tempted to get more of these than more of the movie style toys.

Tiby
31st May 2008, 08:46 PM
I guess the QC fits into my (very low) opinion of the line ):

That's quite enough out of you! :p

dirge
31st May 2008, 11:06 PM
Hey I'm not complaining, Tiby. I'm just disappointed that those who are interested can't enjoy substandard toys.

The_Damned
1st June 2008, 09:53 AM
well my BB is awesome and will be buying another one so he is MISC.......:cool:

autobreadticon
2nd June 2008, 09:43 PM
got prowl today, his waist is like a salsa dancer, its hard to for him to pose standing straight up without being all over the place.

i like how you can turn the rear part of the cycle in vehicle mode, makes for cool looking turns and also you can transform it into a leg for a backward kick action.

I don't like how prowl's mouth piece is not coloured, but i think this was done to give him a ninja mask look.

Tiby
3rd June 2008, 09:14 AM
I returned my Cybertron Mode Optimus Prime Deluxe and swapped him for another one. This one has less problems. No obvious cracks.

Pulse
3rd June 2008, 11:39 AM
Yes, I'm ashamed to admit that yesterday I ate a tonne of humble pie when one of the biggest TFA figures naysayers in all of TF Fandom encountered Lockdown in the flesh.

I am a massive fan of Muscle Cars & seeing that alt mode of his with its sky-high mountain of metal & serious pair of fats out back... Well, I just cracked & after departing with $25, he ended up coming home with me. :o

In being unable to post a pic of him at the moment, My Lockdown seems to have a fairly loose leg ball joint :(. His leg pops off fairly easily & I have to push it on with some force to keep it in place :rolleyes:. I'd be prepared to live with this on an older ball-jointed figure but a brand new one? Not good enough Hasbro :mad:.

Furthermore, being a deluxe - he seems to be extremely tall in comparison to any other figures in his class. Compared to other deluxes, his proportions are way off & IMO, just don't look right.

Not happy Jan!

kup
3rd June 2008, 11:53 AM
Yes, I'm ashamed to admit that yesterday I ate a tonne of humble pie when one of the biggest TFA figures naysayers in all of TF Fandom encountered Lockdown in the flesh.

I am a massive fan of Muscle Cars & seeing that alt mode of his with its sky-high mountain of metal & serious pair of fats out back... Well, I just cracked & after departing with $25, he ended up coming home with me. :o

In being unable to post a pic of him at the moment, My Lockdown seems to have a fairly loose leg ball joint :(. His leg pops off fairly easily & I have to push it on with some force to keep it in place :rolleyes:. I'd be prepared to live with this on an older ball-jointed figure but a brand new one? Not good enough Hasbro :mad:.

Furthermore, being a deluxe - he seems to be extremely tall in comparison to any other figures in his class. Compared to other deluxes, his proportions are way off & IMO, just don't look right.

Not happy Jan!

Lockdown is the only figure announced/released which I am considering to get because he looks less 'stylized' in the same vain as the rest of the line and reminds me of Death's Head for some reason. He kinda looks like a Cybertron toy actually.

When it comes to the QC, I am not surprised, I could see the cheapness of the figures from within the bubbles. Design style aside they seem to have chosen the cheapest paints and materials to the point that they almost look KO, particularly Prowl.

The fact that all this line is almost completely lacking in mold detail so that it can be faithful to the cartoon style really doesn't really help much

kurdt_the_goat
3rd June 2008, 12:36 PM
I have to disagree, at least partly! Of the toys i've got, by far the worst paint application is Bumblebee. The more i look at it, the more i don't like it, there's some serious shade difference between his roof (painted) and the rest (plastic yellow). Prowl doesn't have any problems though, being a matte black plastic with a decent metallic gold. It's simple but it works. Both Leader Megatron and Voyager Starscream have very nice paint application and the red, which is similar on both is a very sharp metallic style, and nicer than pretty much anything i've seen in the movie line. My Cybertron OP has stiff arms but no stress marks, and very solid paint. The red plastic for whatever reason, doesn't look anywhere near as cheap as the Bumblebee does. None of the toys have the plastic swirling look of say Movie Jazz, which is my pet peeve for plastic parts! I haven't seen anything to say this line is any worse or better than what i've experienced before, QC wise.

jaydisc
3rd June 2008, 05:16 PM
I just got Lockdown and Prowl today... love them both!

BUT... I sort of broke off Lockdown's hand. I was trying to swing it out expecting it to be parallel with his forearm, and I kept pushing waiting for that reassuring click that many of the animated toys have. Well, I got the click, but it wasn't very reassuring.

Can anyone else with Lockdown tell me how far can you swing his hands out?

Lord_Zed
3rd June 2008, 07:32 PM
I just got Lockdown and Prowl today... love them both!

BUT... I sort of broke off Lockdown's hand. I was trying to swing it out expecting it to be parallel with his forearm, and I kept pushing waiting for that reassuring click that many of the animated toys have. Well, I got the click, but it wasn't very reassuring.

Can anyone else with Lockdown tell me how far can you swing his hands out?

Yup I broke mine to, I wan't excpecting to pay the same amount of attention required to transform a MP to a hasbro Deluxe.

His hands only come out a little way, about 75 degrees maybe so they always point inward like he has cerebal palsy.

Anyways when it comes to Animated I'm middle of the road. I bought Lockdown, he's pretty decent (cept for his damned hands). Engineering wise he's about on par with the bulk of Movie line and the Classics. Unlike those lines however he doesn't have the same appeal for me though. What I've seen of the animated cartoon I didn't enjoy much. I will say these toy still look better than the Armada years. Lockdown really seems to exude that whole superhero/villain look in bot mode. not sure If I dig it though for me there kinda like the Star Wars Transformers line, there clever enough toys but they don't quite feel like transformers to me. Still I will no doubt get a couple of the crazy ones that amuse me (eg Soundwave) but not as much of the line as I did with the Movie TFs.

I can see why people might like them and wanna collect the whole set, but I can't understand those fans on the American boards who think there the greatest thing since G1.

Tiby
3rd June 2008, 07:41 PM
I checked Lockdown's hands very carefully. There is a blockage which means they can't move any further.

As for the line itself, I was looking at the bot modes and thought: "These are really cool action figures. They actually look like they can do things, without any obvious "block" parts to stop them".

Happy, despite the QC.

jaydisc
3rd June 2008, 07:50 PM
Thanks Zed & Tibby. I'll take it back and swap it this week.

As for the line itself, I was looking at the bot modes and thought: "These are really cool action figures. They actually look like they can do things, without any obvious "block" parts to stop them".

Happy, despite the QC.

I couldn't agree more. Pardon the cheesy phrase, but it's such a revolution as opposed to an evolution.

I can't wait to put them behind glass.

kurdt_the_goat
3rd June 2008, 07:56 PM
Check out the Lockdown review by peaugh on youtube (i can't link atm), he details how you can fix the QC issue - seems pretty simple.

jaydisc
3rd June 2008, 08:00 PM
Awesome. I've seen it (and all his reviews), but I'll go back and look.

I love his reviews because they're so concise. There's another reviewer that starts each review with the matrix, prime helmet and some stupid quote and he just waffles for 10 minutes every time. I can't take it.

Kyle
3rd June 2008, 08:05 PM
I can see why people might like them and wanna collect the whole set, but I can't understand those fans on the American boards who think there the greatest thing since G1.

I like these as much as I like Classics... :p

Lord_Zed
3rd June 2008, 08:37 PM
Originally Posted by Tiby

Yes, but at least from my experience with Lockdown, there not actualy anymore articulated than my favourte Movie or Classic toys. They do have a action figure look in bot mode though, but If I was after an action figure Id rather buy one based on a character I like.

Like I said My main problem with Animated is the cartoon series, the toys themselves are fine I don't think there any better or worse than the last 2 years of TF's, I just don't have a huge impulse to buy them all cause I haven't gotten into the show.

Nonetheless I want to get a few samples. ;)

Paulbot
3rd June 2008, 08:56 PM
I have to disagree, at least partly! Of the toys i've got, by far the worst paint application is Bumblebee. The more i look at it, the more i don't like it, there's some serious shade difference between his roof (painted) and the rest (plastic yellow).

Plastic painted yellow and plastic that is yellow is often a hard thing for toymakers to match. Classics Sunstreaker has the same problem, and the Henkei one is likely to have it too.

Pulse
3rd June 2008, 11:57 PM
As you guys have mentioned, The hands of my Lockdown don't want to swing the full 180 degrees either - 150 degrees or so is all they'll go :rolleyes:.

Oh well, If his hands don't wanna swing open the full way - I'm not gonna force them. :p

STL
4th June 2008, 12:45 AM

I love his reviews because they're so concise. There's another reviewer that starts each review with the matrix, prime helmet and some stupid quote and he just waffles for 10 minutes every time. I can't take it.

Oh yes, I hate that joe too. Can't stand him

Courtesy of Paulbot, I was fortunate enough to have a play with Deluxe BB today. He -is- an amazingly good figure. They really amaze me from a technical point of view. I do agree his paint apps are poor though. Heck, the Activator BB that Paulbot today had better paint apps then him.

Though I'm getting more excited about TFA, I must concede I do hope they stay away for a few more weeks so I can sought out a few necessities.

i_amtrunks
4th June 2008, 10:20 AM
Played with Bumblebee the 2 pack figures and Lockdown last night, and I am overa-ll very impressed. The transformations are simply, yet not overly so.

Bumblebee is the weakest of the line thus far, and I think he will remain there. The feet, stingers and paint apps are not up to par with the rest of the figures I have.

Bulkhead is still my favourite though, but 2 pack Prime is mighty spiffy, only that stupid rotating waist gimmick ruins him, but twisting him around a few times seems to unlock the punch action. Same with Megatron. His Cybertronian mode is very weak, but he is a very nice looking figure otherwise.

jaydisc
7th June 2008, 06:50 PM
So has anyone figured out what the traffic light with Prowl is all about?

Tiby
7th June 2008, 06:56 PM
So far I have only seen the "premiere" of the show. I just haven't managed to view the rest yet. But I really like the toys in themselves. Now I am worried that the rest of the show may put me off :(

Oh well, if I can cope with Headmasters and Masterforce (just barely), I'm sure I can cope with the weird storylines in Animated I have heard about.

Tiby
7th June 2008, 06:56 PM
I think the point of the traffic light with Prowl is that he is able to use anything as a weapon, with his mastery of Circuit-Su

Gutsman Heavy
8th June 2008, 02:01 AM
So far I have only seen the "premiere" of the show. I just haven't managed to view the rest yet. But I really like the toys in themselves. Now I am worried that the rest of the show may put me off :(

Oh well, if I can cope with Headmasters and Masterforce (just barely), I'm sure I can cope with the weird storylines in Animated I have heard about.

Nothing to worry about, its miles above Headmasters. Season 2 is especially sweet.

SilverDragon
8th June 2008, 11:48 AM
The storylines in Animated aren't exactly weird, they're just different from previous TF series. It's not like it's the TF version of Neon Genesis Evangelion. :p

Oh, that guy. I watch his reviews, since he has some stuff that peaugh doesn't have (like Snarl) but he just sounds so pathetic. Especially "What up Transformer fans". No-one SAYS 'What Up' anymore (except him).

sifun
13th June 2008, 12:16 AM
I love voyager bulk head and starscream so far,
haven't opened cybertron mode voyager megs though.. don't think i will.

I don't know why you guys don't like starscream, he's ace! love his robot mode. His alt mode is a bit strange, but I like how they even added the automorph feature in starscream still. love :)

gripe: wish he had show accurate arm cannons :(

One thing i love about both: Not that many twisty ties!!! Yaaaay

kurdt_the_goat
13th June 2008, 12:50 AM
I really like Starscream too - i happened to notice this Macross PLUS 1/60 YF-19 looks very similar in the legs, and if the chest folded up on Starscream, it'd look similar there too! Perhaps SS was partly inspired by this toy?

And also... while he certainly has faults, Voyager Megs does have good points too, but yes, almost all of them in robot mode. His alt mode can look like a bucket of bolts, but at the same time, the little flaps at the back, and on the sides, can move around into different positions. You may find there's a position that makes him look better to you than the official pics. I could imagine some younger kids having fun 'using their imagination' with the moving pieces, moreso than Starscream, who's quite static in his alt mode.

griffin
13th June 2008, 01:27 AM
So has anyone figured out what the traffic light with Prowl is all about?

Probably just to make up extra bulk in the pack with it being a smaller toy than the rest of the deluxes. Hasbro said they did that with Cybertron Scattorshot (the basic sized one) by adding the extra large backpack to bring it up to similar volume/mass to the basic range.
The traffic lights are pretty meaningless and is just a block of plastic, but could be what is substituted for the armour in the next release.

STL
20th June 2008, 10:17 AM
Is it possible to align Cybertron Prime w/out the gaps? I've tried and tried but have no hope it seems.

jaydisc
20th June 2008, 10:19 AM
Align what? The back legs? You need the gap for the axe. Or do you mean the cockpit? Should be no gaps there. Be specific.

STL
20th June 2008, 10:25 AM
Sorry, gaps for the cockpit/front b/n the front windscreen and the arms. .

jaydisc
20th June 2008, 10:32 AM
It can indeed be done gap free. However, with all the recent QC complaints, this might be a specific issue for you. Bring your figure on Sunday.

TheDirtyDigger
20th June 2008, 12:05 PM
Well I have all the first wave apart from BB and the twin pack and I think they're all mostly good.

Only thing that really p's me off is that lack of attention to scale (which is consistent with mostly all TF lines).

They seem pretty solid. Would have liked Lockdown's grey parts to be in chrome though.

Kyle
20th June 2008, 01:14 PM
Just took 10 minutes to type up my thoughts on each of the Wave 1 toys but the board has already logged me out (so quick) and I'vé lost all my typing. :o

1orion2many
20th June 2008, 02:50 PM
Just took 10 minutes to type up my thoughts on each of the Wave 1 toys but the board has already logged me out (so quick) and I'vé lost all my typing. :o

:DGo take a typing class:p:D

jaydisc
20th June 2008, 06:25 PM
A good browser shouldn't lose that when hitting the back button. Perhaps a browser upgrade is in order?

Kyle
20th June 2008, 06:37 PM
A good browser shouldn't lose that when hitting the back button. Perhaps a browser upgrade is in order?

I used to be able to just hit the back button. But somehow it didn't work earlier and my typing was lost. Should have "select all" and copy the text... :o

Pulse
20th June 2008, 07:57 PM
Did you put a link in it & forgot to take out the "http"?

I've done that before, clicked on preview, gotten the error screen, clicked on back & found that what I've written is vanished... :rolleyes:

Damn these freakin' bugs...

:l

jaydisc
20th June 2008, 08:02 PM
I'm wondering if any of the [currently] three of us who voted, "Refuse to buy them." have given in yet? Anyone care to admit or deny?

dirge
20th June 2008, 08:50 PM
Yeah I bought Prowl. No plans to buy any others.

Pulse
20th June 2008, 08:58 PM
Yes :o, the Naysayer that was Pulse has Lockdown, BB, Blackarachnia & will have Jazz in his posession on Monday (My BBTS package has cleared customs :)) but those 4 will do me.

Pipesqueak
21st June 2008, 06:58 PM
I've picked up three so far and think Lockdown is a completely brilliant toy, awesome car mode and such an impressively sized and unique bot folds out of it. I'm happy with Starscream too, despite a lot of visible robot parts in plane mode. It's certainly an interesting plane design. Bumblebee, however, is a huge disappointment, terrible paint, annoying transformation, bot proportions all wrong, stingers won't retract properly. Two out of three ain't bad I guess.

Kyle
21st June 2008, 08:38 PM
I find it funny Lockdown has a deluxe size vehicle mode but an impressive "voyager size" robot mode, while Bulkhead has a voyager size vehicle mode but only deluxe size robot mode... (well in terms of height anyway) :p

jaydisc
21st June 2008, 08:44 PM
Yeah, scale is a regular bone of contention with collectors, but I think Hasbro scales based on the mode products are shipped in. If, say like Henkei, Animated shipped in Robot mode, Lockdown and Bulkhead's classes would probably be swapped.

TF76
22nd June 2008, 10:24 PM
I’ve had the all the individual figures from the first wave a couple of weeks and I really, really like them.

I got the 2 pack the other day and I like that too. I did have a problem with a cracked arm on bumble bee but exchanged it and I like the figure a bit more now. I’ll be trying my best to afford them all as more are released.

I think I like starscream the most and probably bumble bee the least, I think I'll like him more when I get Voyager prime and some bigger Autobots. Scale isn't that much of an issue with me usually but he just seems to solid in build compared to the others I have.

Tetsuwan Convoy
30th June 2008, 02:07 PM
I am really digging them at the moment. I love the mat colouring in both paint and plastic. Some very interesting transformations going on too. Blackarachnia is my second favourite spider (next to TM Tarantulus) as she looks great for a ckikky-bot. Lockdown is well done and Prowl has some great articulation! Scale doesn't bother me so much, if they were more in scale, Bumblebee would be too fiddly for my adult sized hands.

Oh forgot to add, they have some great lightpiping going on in their eyes! Love IT!

Still haven't recieved my Voyagers yet... Customs seem to want to play with them...:mad: They can get their own!

Paulbot
30th June 2008, 07:11 PM
I finally figured out what I was doing wrong with Bumblebee: not lifting the bottom of his boot up before transforming him into robot mode makes turning him back into car mode difficult. With it raised before transforming I no longer have trouble getting his legs back in the right place for car mode.

jaydisc
30th June 2008, 09:22 PM
Nice one. I noticed the same thing today. Additionally, even if you forgot to fold it on the way to robot mode, when going back to car mode, with the bumper out of site, you can flick the lever on the opposing side to get it into position.

STL
1st July 2008, 10:34 AM
I -hate- Animated Starscream with a vengeance. Absolutely. The goddamn legs never stop falling off and it makes poseability which is a pain to begin with even worse b/c the legs are so hopelessly loose. I've developed the ability to meticulously transform him such that the legs don't fall off but when that type of precaution has to be taken it ruins the fun of the toy and the transformation sequence.

About the transformation sequence, pretty damn easy. The automorph is very cool but it takes out a lot of steps and makes the rest of the transformation absolutely boring. The arms can also fall off at the elbow in transformation too and then there are those two clips at the back. A very irritating "Transformer" if u want to call it that. You might as well treat it like Omega Supreme. Rip him apart and stick him back together for robot mode! Voila! :rolleyes: Problem is, Omega holds together 100 times better than Starscream ever will.

Articulation in the arms is great but the legs are crap, the head doesn't even rotate. Nice lightpiping but this is the first TF since Armada toys/moulds that I've bought that doesn't have that point of articulation. Bleeping lazy. But that could've been overlooked if he doesn't crumble apart so easily. As much as I look forward to completing the Seekers here as I always do, it'll only be b/c they're Seekers. It's going to be a pain.

This is a terrible TF. Sure, BB's yellow is fugly and those blades don't go in, but Starscream takes the cake for being a sh*t toy. For everything I've seen in Animated so far this toy drops the ball on so many levels.

Paulbot
1st July 2008, 10:49 AM
Activator Starscream is quite nice though. Collect the seekers in that size?

STL
1st July 2008, 10:58 AM
Activator Starscream is quite nice though. Collect the seekers in that size?

I'll buy them either regardless. :D

I shld mention I just discovered the head articulation. My bad. Still a terrible toy though.

Can anyone explain to me the cannon gimmicks again where the arm panels pop out? I remember Jaydisc showing them to me and thinking neat but now I'm just asking myself WTF?

Found a great pose here while looking for how dodgy they generally are or if it's just mine:
http://forums.tformers.com/talk/index.php?s=&showtopic=78715&view=findpost&p=1244513

But mine falls flat on its face as soon as I try it. :rolleyes:

kurdt_the_goat
1st July 2008, 11:29 AM
It doesn't always work, but they're somewhat linked... pushing one forward generally moves the other one back. You should try one of the fixes for the legs.. luckily mine is fine and i think he looks great in both modes... although the transformation is a bit simple and messy.

griffin
1st July 2008, 12:23 PM
STL, I think your SS's leg issue is probably just a QC problem that doesn't affect everyones. My problem toy is the 2-pack Megatron, in that one of its legs just doesn't stay on. It just sits there loosely, and falls off whenever I touch it or transform it. Other people don't seem to have the problem, and it all it took was probably some variance in the cooling of the plastic when released from the mould/toolings to warp it just a couple of micrometers (the difference between a too-stiff and too-loose connection).
The plastic feels less dense and cheaper than a few years ago, which is probably why parts are warping more often in the production process, and causing a lot more quality problems.

STL
1st July 2008, 01:32 PM
STL, I think your SS's leg issue is probably just a QC problem that doesn't affect everyones. My problem toy is the 2-pack Megatron, in that one of its legs just doesn't stay on. It just sits there loosely, and falls off whenever I touch it or transform it. Other people don't seem to have the problem, and it all it took was probably some variance in the cooling of the plastic when released from the mould/toolings to warp it just a couple of micrometers (the difference between a too-stiff and too-loose connection).
The plastic feels less dense and cheaper than a few years ago, which is probably why parts are warping more often in the production process, and causing a lot more quality problems.

I like that explanation. Everything's always about me. :D

Robzy
1st July 2008, 01:41 PM
I -hate- Animated Starscream with a vengeance. Absolutely. The goddamn legs never stop falling off and it makes poseability which is a pain to begin with even worse b/c the legs are so hopelessly loose.
My Starscream's legs are fine - they never come off!

Articulation in the arms is great but the legs are crap, the head doesn't even rotate. Man - you got a REALLY crappy one didn't ya?! The head on my rotates fine! I'd be taking it back and asking for a refund if I were you!!!

STL, I think your SS's leg issue is probably just a QC problem that doesn't affect everyones.Yep!

My problem toy is the 2-pack Megatron, in that one of its legs just doesn't stay on.My "problem" with that particular Megatron, is that he's the same friggn height as Bumblebee! What a JOKE! :rolleyes: It's for this reason that I'm probably gonna pass on the 2-pack, just like Voyager Bulkhead! ...Too small!!

jaydisc
1st July 2008, 01:53 PM
STL, I think your SS's leg issue is probably just a QC problem that doesn't affect everyones.

I'm confident it's not the QC, as my Starscream was fine until STL came over and had a look, and somewhat bizarrely, it's been fine since he left :D

jaydisc
1st July 2008, 01:56 PM
It's for this reason that I'm probably gonna pass on the 2-pack, just like Voyager Bulkhead! ...Too small!!

It's such a shame that so many feel this way as Voyager Bulkhead is such an awesome toy. Now, I find that we all have differences of opinion on what an awesome toy is, but I don't think I've as of yet heard a Voyager Bulkhead owner not offer high praise.

Regarding scale, I think I've come up with a new solution: Keep Voyager Bulkhead and Deluxe Prowl and go with a Deluxe Prime, and Activator versions of Ratchet and Bumblebee and your robot mode scale should be perfect!

STL
1st July 2008, 02:01 PM
I'm confident it's not the QC, as my Starscream was fine until STL came over and had a look, and somewhat bizarrely, it's been fine since he left :D

Bring urs around tmrw and we'll swap, wise guy.

Oh, how's Prime? Royally stuffed up, I hope. :p

Robzy
1st July 2008, 02:06 PM
It's such a shame that so many feel this way as Voyager Bulkhead is such an awesome toy. That's just it! I think he looks great... by himself! Displayed with the others, and he looks ridiculous!

I'm just so disappointed that Hasbro made him so small. I mean, it goes against everything his character stands for (a gentle, lumbering, clusmy giant)! I'm disappointed Lugnut is so small too (I'm hoping they'll make a Leader version of him eventually).

Robzy
1st July 2008, 02:08 PM
I'm confident it's not the QC, as my Starscream was fine until STL came over and had a look, and somewhat bizarrely, it's been fine since he left :DHahaha :D So... we've got a new 'term'? Either it's a QC problem or an STL problem? :p

kurdt_the_goat
1st July 2008, 02:18 PM
I have a Leader Bulkhead due to arrive soooon, cause i'm skipping the Voyager one too. I don't dislike the Voyager Bulkhead, but i prefer the extra detailing and size of the Leader. I could be concinved to get a Voyager Bulkhead if they released a Cybertronian mode one though. Time permitting i'll put up some shots of Leader Bulkhead when he comes home.

Tetsuwan Convoy
5th July 2008, 01:18 AM
Its really annoying though this QC issue. MY Cybertron mode Prime has developed cracks near the pin that runs through the windshield. I have only transformed about 6 times altogether.

I love all the figures I have gotten so far, but the craptacular QC issues make me wonder if they will last. This is the first series where I have ended up with 2 of the same toy. (I caved and got another CYB Prime to stay in box).

I have a feeling finding nice ones of this line will be not possible in 25 years.....

Kyle
5th July 2008, 08:49 AM
Are you going to return him?

If not, bring it along to Nexus and I might be able to help...

kup
7th July 2008, 02:06 PM
I saw and played a bit with Earth Mode Prime on the weekend.

I did not like, substandard in my oppinion.

Golden Phoenix
7th July 2008, 02:49 PM
overall it was a good wave, only let down by QC and some colour schemes (read Deluxe Bumblebee)
I liked the moulds themselves. There were good, especially for what they had to look like. I loved Cybertron mode Prime, one of my favourites so far.

liegeprime
7th July 2008, 02:50 PM
Yeah I bought Prowl. No plans to buy any others.

no wonder purry didnt expect Blackarachnia during a photoshoot. you should really give purry fair warning though.:D

Got me V. prime, Battle damage prime aka venomous prime, Ratchet, Lockdown, Blackarachnia, Prowl and Screamer. NP plans getting deluxe Bee, waiting for activators version ( I prefer its scale to the rest). Leader BUlkhead and Megsy for same reason.

Overall I like it, except for the sizing issue, thank goodness I havent encountered much problem QC wise. good thing there wont be much figures in this line that I can be picky in the sizing issue on purchasing :). BA brings one more chick in for the girl puwah shelf!

Golden Phoenix
7th July 2008, 07:36 PM
GAH!! Going back to quality control, my Cybertron mode Optimus Prime's just developed a break. The beam that holds the lower and upper torso pieces just broke where it holds onto the beam in the lower torso. Only one of the 2 holds broke so it is still attached, but man that gets on your nerves.
You are so careful when you transform them and this still happens :mad::mad:

Robzy
7th July 2008, 08:49 PM
That sux!! Man - I'm feeling lucky that I haven't encountered most of the QC problems that others here have! But if I did - I would definately be returning them!

I gotta say - I just bought Lockdown today, and he is truly AWESOME! I mean, I really did not expect this guy to be so good, but he's an excellent figure. In fact, he's probably only just behind Voyager Prime as my favourite figure (not character, just the toy :p) in the first 2 waves of Animated!

Stompy
8th July 2008, 01:36 AM
Overall I'm very happy with the range. Great alt modes and fantastic robot mdoes. Biggest gripe are the joints. Most are very loose. Each fig I've transformed had a ball joint come off during the process. Could be individual figures but from the sounds of it it's universal. My opinion:

Bumblebee - Awful colour difference on both yellows. Oversized feet and a large robot mode.

Prowl - Great, except for loose ball joints which I should put a coat of something to tighten otherwise amazing conversion and both modes are phenomenal.

Ratchet - Poor looking alt mode with huge hinges ont he side that makes it look like a FAB. Just doesn't look as polished as the other figures. Robot mode is fantastic though and engineering wise, such a big robot (those arms!) can convert into that tiny alt.

Cybertron Prime - Top notch figure. Alt mode is a little spacey everywhere but it doesn't look bad. Robot mode is awesome and great conversion.

Battle Damaged Earth Mode Prime - Excellent. Both modes look great, decorative battle damage and the best axe of the lot. Outclassed by a teensy bit by Cyb Prime.

Battle Damaged Cybertron Megatron - Am not a fan. Awful alt but a pretty good robot mode. Better grey colour used than the Voyager one. One of the leg pegs was too loose and always comes right off. Nice blaster canon.

Lockdown - Best Deluxe figure I've laid my hand on. Amazing robot form and a great alt. Simply outstanding.

Black Arachnia - I love spiders and this doesn't dissapoint, except for the hands visible on the legs. Conversion reminds me of Movie Arcee and looks ace in robot mode. If only those hands where somehow hidden.

Starscream - The simplest conversion of any Voyager I've seen. Unclip and swing the legs down and voila! Robot mode. Great engineering if uninvolved. Great if a little stout alt mode and a lithe robot mode with a cool hidden arm mechanism/laser. No QC issues.

Voyager Earth Mode Prime - Excellent in both modes. Gimmick works but needed instructions for converting back safely. The "trailer is ok, but would have preffered a proper trailer. The axe and water gun is a little forced. Ok a LOT forced.

Bulkhead - Wasn't too keen on this until I got my hands on it. Great alt and especially robot mode. Nice conversion especially the front cab transformation. The "wings" don't work on mine perhaps because I pulled it out of the socket it was in and put back but it just doesn't spread out like it should. The mace is pretty nifty too.

Voyager Megatron - don't have. A little too white and am not a MEgatron fan. Will wait for Earth Mode Leader.

Bring on the next waves and the Activators. I'm darn excited for the Activators.

griffin
8th July 2008, 09:23 AM
At least I'm not the only one with a leg problem with 2-pack megatron (shrug).
You've certainly splashed out and got just about every Animated toy available. And the Activators are fun (got them imported from HK last month). I just hope that one day we will see a 5-pack of Starscream clones Activators. That'd be fun, and affordable. :D

Gutsman Heavy
8th July 2008, 02:13 PM
With the loose joints on my deluxe Megs, nail polish tightened them up nicely. I hoped that the same would apply for Lockdowns right leg, but it seems to be a dodgy socket that is the cause of his leg falling off.

Stompy
9th July 2008, 01:12 AM
Griffin, from the sound of it we have the exact same problem. Mine comes right off whenever I touch that leg. I can't think of any solutions for it as the connector for it is very thin and fragile. Lucky it's a figure I don't really care much about.

Besides deluxe Megs broken leg, Voyager Prime's loose shoulder joint and Bulkheads broken wings, the QC issues are minimal but when scouring TF forums there appears to be a lot of QC issues. I'm glad my Lockdown has no problems unlike Gutsman's.

Golden Phoenix
9th July 2008, 01:16 PM
I must say, this has been the first set of new figures that I have had to be so delicate with. Like with old stuff I am delicate with it purely because of of it's age. But this stuff is getting scary. I am afraid to touch them now because they might break. And I loved some of them. Prime is my favourite and I can't transform him because the other hold might break....

STL
10th July 2008, 12:23 AM
I must say, this has been the first set of new figures that I have had to be so delicate with. Like with old stuff I am delicate with it purely because of of it's age. But this stuff is getting scary. I am afraid to touch them now because they might break. And I loved some of them. Prime is my favourite and I can't transform him because the other hold might break....

What hold?

Oh and why does everyone keep complaining and not return them from whence they bought them? It's your right as a consumer to not buy defective items.

Golden Phoenix
10th July 2008, 08:58 PM
What hold?

Oh and why does everyone keep complaining and not return them from whence they bought them? It's your right as a consumer to not buy defective items.

The piece that connected the upper and lower parts of the body has 2 point where it holds the metal bar in the lower body. one of those has broken

Tetsuwan Convoy
12th July 2008, 01:30 AM

Well it all depends on how much difference you think it will make. I see the crack in Primes chest as a design flaw and think its likely to happen to them all eventually. It seesm these figures aren't as durable as they should be. So far thats the only one I haven't taken back. I sawpped a Lockdown and the second one was OK.

Is there someway we can whinge to hasbro everytime a dud-former shows up aside from spamming them with emails?

liegeprime
12th July 2008, 11:16 PM
pity there isnt a feedback form in Hasbro's toys unlike with Takara ( with instructions on how to fill them up somewhere courtesy of Gok in one of the threads) that has those little japanese written paperworks you can send back so at least they know if the end consumer was indeed happy or satisfied with the product or for any faults or complaints for any of their toys. :(:(

Tiby
13th July 2008, 11:53 AM
I can't find an Autobot symbol on Voyager Optimus Prime. There are none on the packaging pictures either. This is pretty weird considering the other figures have prominent symbols, often visible in both modes. Now, given OP's robot mode, no-one will mistake him for anyone else, but I thought this was very strange.

There is also a small indentation on his right shoulder like something should be in there. Have I just missed the symbol or is everyone else's like this?

Kyle
13th July 2008, 11:54 AM
There is also a small indentation on his right shoulder like something should be in there. Have I just missed the symbol or is everyone else's like this?

I believe everyone else's the same.

Tiby
13th July 2008, 11:58 AM
Thanks Kyle... interesting...

griffin
13th July 2008, 08:27 PM
It was commented on the ATT newsgroup as well, that it was missing an allegiance symbol. It is indeed odd.

Thanatos
13th July 2008, 08:43 PM
My Voyager Prime doesnt have an allegiance symbol... should I be worried at all?

Tiby
13th July 2008, 08:47 PM
Looks like they are all like that. Just a mystery I suppose

Kyle
13th July 2008, 09:08 PM
Maybe they don't want the faction symbol shown on his vehicle mode, to make it truly a disguise? :confused:

Tiby
13th July 2008, 09:30 PM
Could be, but Ratchet has it square on his bonnet, and Prowl has it on his front cowl. Bulkhead's is hidden until he transforms. Perhaps this is another place where there has been a lack of forethought.

Kyle
13th July 2008, 09:43 PM
Good point. :p

griffin
13th July 2008, 10:02 PM
It's possible that if the toy has a lot of paint apps on it (more than the factory would allow), one to leave off could be the allegiance symbol. We all know it is an Autobot (it's Optimus for Primus sakes), so it could be one toy that could get away without one.

Tiby
13th July 2008, 10:07 PM
Well, they also left off any paint on his running lights on the top of the cab (which the Deluxe even had, as well as the battle damage), so the limit must be really low.

STL
14th July 2008, 01:38 AM
Man, Blackarachnia is one cool frickin' toy. The transformation is so-so but the bot and spider modes are awesome. I'm very glad to have a spare of this mold. Heck, I might triple up on it. Very nice. I wonder if we could make a BW repaint out of it. The main features are there but I guess the spidey eyes will be a bit of an issue. I do want a perfect blackarachnia though. A repaint of Tarantulas just don't cut it for me. This though is a cool frickin' toy.

kup
14th July 2008, 11:35 AM
My Updated verdict on the recent toys I have seen/experienced:

Earth Prime - Did not like, seemed cheap and a rehash of past designs with bad execution.

Blackarachnia - A very good and effective transformation and alt mode. Impresive despite the simple design.

So far in my oppinion the only good toys in this line are Prowl, Blackarahnia with Bulkhead trailing behind but still better than the rest.

The toy line seems to suffer the same pattern as the cartoon itself, a few good toys but the mayority of the rest are very poor.

Robzy
14th July 2008, 12:22 PM
For me, so far, the best figures are...

Voyager Prime
Lockdown (WOW!)
Ratchet
Prowl
Blackarachnia

I guess that's my Top 5 :D

Pulse
14th July 2008, 12:24 PM
Just wait til you get your hands on Jazz... :)

Kyle
15th July 2008, 10:24 AM
Just wait til you get your hands on Jazz... :)

Animated Jazz's transformation is a little simple, but both modes look great.

bassbot
20th July 2008, 02:27 PM
Hey! Coming to the conversation a little late, BUT!
I got the Megs Vs Prime two-pack. Love it. Don't mind the battle damage, and cool nifty transformations.

Then, was allowed by the wife to get one more, so I grabbed Bulkhead because I love the character. Would like to get Leader Bulky down the track, but enjoying Voyager at the moment.

Now my wife says "i think you need the new Bumblebee", HELL YEAH!

griffin
20th July 2008, 06:20 PM
Where do I get one of those wives??? :p

Tiby
20th July 2008, 06:24 PM

+ 1 :p

Pulse
20th July 2008, 06:37 PM

+ 1 :p

The "brainwashing" takes years & years of intensive work while even then success is still not guaranteed... :D

liegeprime
20th July 2008, 07:24 PM
The "brainwashing" takes years & years of intensive work while even then success is still not guaranteed... :D

tried lobotomy ..:p

sifun
21st July 2008, 11:09 AM
Dissapointed with bumblebee... He's just cheap and nasty and is too big and out of proportions. Too big!

sifun
30th July 2008, 10:01 AM
You can put headmaster on leader megatron! Though it doesn't activate anything special like it does on Bulkhead. It looks pretty funny

SilverDragon
31st July 2008, 08:56 PM
Looks like they are all like that. Just a mystery I suppose

I find it weird that Voyager Prime lacks faction symbols. He has one on his left shoulder in the cartoon.

I'm saving my money for Blackarachnia (or, if she isn't there, Movie Longarm).

Speaking of that, wouldn't it be hilarious if Blackarachnia got repainted into Tarantulas? It'd be a Transexual Transformer! :eek::D

Tetsuwan Convoy
1st August 2008, 01:30 AM
I find it weird that Voyager Prime lacks faction symbols. He has one on his left shoulder in the cartoon.

I'm saving my money for Blackarachnia (or, if she isn't there, Movie Longarm).

Speaking of that, wouldn't it be hilarious if Blackarachnia got repainted into Tarantulas? It'd be a Transexual Transformer! :eek::D

It would be wierder if the allspark MADE her Tarantulas. THEN she would be a transexual transformer.;)

AS for Voyager Prime. IT looks like the insignia should be on his left shoulder, as they have a smooth spot whereas his right has a bit of moulded detail. Poo really as the other 2 Primes have the insignia.