PDA

View Full Version : TFCC: Shattered Glass Drift

Hursticon
26th October 2011, 09:01 AM
Courtesy of TFW2005.com (http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/conventions-15/shattered-glass-drift-officially-unveiled-173635/), The Transformers Collector's Club has officially revealed their second exclusive (http://www.transformersclub.com/drift12.cfm), Shattered Glass: Drift, being available for Pre-Order in early 2012.

Mock-up Pics Mirrored for Posterity:

http://i1032.photobucket.com/albums/a409/Darkone666au/Webpics/driftALTweb_1319564551.jpg http://i1032.photobucket.com/albums/a409/Darkone666au/Webpics/driftBOTweb_1319564551.jpg

Bartrim
26th October 2011, 09:02 AM
I like the look of that... I'll probably never get one but I really like that mock up.

liegeprime
26th October 2011, 09:10 AM
hmmm somehow I don't like the color for that mold bot sure why.....

Sharky
26th October 2011, 09:19 AM
hmmm somehow I don't like the color for that mold bot sure why.....

just needs the 'pool eyes on his chest/belt then Autobot deadpool will be complete

fatbot
26th October 2011, 09:50 AM
I like the look of that... I'll probably never get one but I really like that mock up.

He's an instant buy for me ( maybe i'll get two, so my bro can have it as well)

GoktimusPrime
26th October 2011, 10:19 AM
I don't get the use of the Kanji 定 on the bonnet... it means to decide/determine/settle etc. On the regular Drift toy has 侍 ("Samurai") written on the doors... so I don't really see how "decision" relates to that... I thought perhaps having the Kanji 忍 ("shinobi" (i.e. Ninja)) would make more sense, being the opposite of Samurai.

Or if they wanted to go for a semantic opposite, "Samurai" literally means "to serve" or "servant" -- so maybe the Kanji 主 ("master") might make more sense... if Unshattered Glass Drift lives to serve others, then perhaps Shattered Glass Drift lives for others to serve him (kinda like Movie Barricade's "To Punish and Enslave" motto perverting "To serve and protect").

Unless there's some other meaning to it I'm not seeing. <shrug> :confused:

i_amtrunks
26th October 2011, 12:11 PM
If the actual (non photoshopped) pictures look like this, he is going to be a nice figure. Only way they can get the white strips to be white would be with stickers, otherwise they will always have a pinkish hue.

If he looks close enough to these images when actually manufactured, I'd be another interested in getting one/joining the club.

griffin
26th October 2011, 12:23 PM
The photoshopped colour hurts my eyes...

As for the kanji, FuPub are probably like westerners who get tattoos of asian words/characters based on what they look like or what others tell them it means.

Arcee
26th October 2011, 12:39 PM
The color and the white sunray pattern in strong contrast is all too agressive for me.

As much as I like Drift, I think his character would suit better for a cold tone in the color spectrum (white, greyish silver, silver blue, etc.)

Doubledealer
26th October 2011, 12:43 PM
Why can't they see this mold was made for a Turbomaster Boss...The way I see it, this is (for the most part) going to appeal to the minority who collect the Shattered Glass toys. I think it would have been wiser to think of something that has a bit more of a universal appeal so it can fit in with more peoples collections (or at least make it a SG character that isn't the butt of every joke!).

i_amtrunks
26th October 2011, 03:26 PM
As much as I like Drift, I think his character would suit better for a cold tone in the color spectrum (white, greyish silver, silver blue, etc.)

Since he is kinda meant to be the opposite of his current "inverse" self, I think the brighter colour suits better, he more or less becomes a braggart and hothead... like Sideswipe, but in the Shattered Glass verse!

Boss would have been nice, but they already released this mould in a light blue for Blurr...

1orion2many
26th October 2011, 03:36 PM
:confused:If he's meant to be an opposite I would have thought black would be an obvious colour choice:rolleyes:

UltraMarginal
26th October 2011, 05:19 PM
:confused:If he's meant to be an opposite I would have thought black would be an obvious colour choice:rolleyes:

He is opposite, red with white instead of white with red.:)

1orion2many
26th October 2011, 06:06 PM
He is opposite, red with white instead of white with red.:)

Still would have gone with black;):D

Sam
26th October 2011, 07:40 PM
I don't get the use of the Kanji 定 on the bonnet... it means to decide/determine/settle etc. On the regular Drift toy has 侍 ("Samurai") written on the doors... so I don't really see how "decision" relates to that... I thought perhaps having the Kanji 忍 ("shinobi" (i.e. Ninja)) would make more sense, being the opposite of Samurai.

Or if they wanted to go for a semantic opposite, "Samurai" literally means "to serve" or "servant" -- so maybe the Kanji 主 ("master") might make more sense... if Unshattered Glass Drift lives to serve others, then perhaps Shattered Glass Drift lives for others to serve him (kinda like Movie Barricade's "To Punish and Enslave" motto perverting "To serve and protect").

Unless there's some other meaning to it I'm not seeing. <shrug> :confused:

I thought the use of that kanji was odd too, as in Chinese it has almost the same meaning (it also means "fixed").

Perhaps (and I'm guessing here) because his name is Drift (which in a way implies movement), the Shattered Glass version is the "opposite", and so they are using a character for "fixed".

GoktimusPrime
26th October 2011, 08:45 PM
Still would have gone with black;):D
That would be pretty cool actually. :)

Assuming that Drift's colours are based on the Hinomaru (Japanese flag), then the white represents spiritual purity - and black would be the polar opposite of that; not just in terms of physics, but also with Asian philosophy (i.e. Yin and Yang). They could also replace the red with blue... cos ya know, red vs blue. :p I guess that would make SG Drift Player 1 and regular Drift Player 2. :cool:

They could perhaps retool the writing on the big sword and replace 天下無双 ("Tenka musou" = Peerless Under Heaven) with 硬貨を入れて ("Kouka o irete" = Insert coin) :cool:

I thought the use of that kanji was odd too, as in Chinese it has almost the same meaning (it also means "fixed").

Perhaps (and I'm guessing here) because his name is Drift (which in a way implies movement), the Shattered Glass version is the "opposite", and so they are using a character for "fixed".
So perhaps using a Mighty Muggs mould might be more suitable then. ;) :p

Quickstrike
26th October 2011, 09:29 PM

He's coloured like Deadpool because Deadpool is basically the opposite of Drift.

"Bot of Banter". I wonder if they got in trouble for calling him the Mech with a Mouth, or if they're just playing it safe.

yoshi594
26th October 2011, 10:15 PM
So best to join the club in january yea? i hope the aussie dollar is either stronger or at least above parity by the time I join up!

Bartrim
26th October 2011, 11:08 PM
So perhaps using a Mighty Muggs mould might be more suitable then. ;) :p

Zing!

Ode to a Grasshopper
27th October 2011, 08:05 PM

Unless there's some other meaning to it I'm not seeing. <shrug> :confused:Urgh kanji...

Anyways, the tfwiki puts it down to this (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Drift_%28SG%29).

GoktimusPrime
27th October 2011, 09:21 PM
Fun Publications has explained that they wanted the character on Shattered Glass Drift's hood to mean "A doom" because Drift "brings A DOOM to any enemy he meets". They were limited to only one character, however, and could not find a singular character that embodied what they wanted to convey.
凶 = きょう (kyou); misfortune, fail, bad luck, catastrophe, plague, distress, affliction, fierce, terrible, ominous

This resulted in the use of the character 定 ("decided", as in "your fate is decided"?), which is "a stretch"
Huh?

Erm... perhaps the saw the word 決定 (けってい; decision) and took the second kanji... but that only means "decided" or "set" (e.g. チキンカツ定食 (chicken cutlets set menu). I reckon it would've made more sense if they took the first kanji (決) as that's the actual one that means 'decision' even on it's own (because it's the same Kanji in the world 決める (きめる); to decide, thus 決定 literally means a "set decision").

Of course, 決 on it's own is pronounced as けつ ("ketsu") which sounds like the Japanese word for bum... heh. :) But it would've made more sense than 定 in terms of picking a single kanji to use as "decision."

I still think 忍 (stealth) would have made sense too -- aside from being the polar opposite of Samurai, it would have kind fitted the Deadpool thing too, since he also wears a mask concealing his identity like a ninja. <shrug> I reckon FB should've consulted someone like Doug Dlin (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Doug_Dlin) over this. :/