PDA

View Full Version : Transformers Concept designs by Alexander Kubalsky

griffin
15th November 2011, 01:30 PM
Some interesting concept and transformation drawings (http://alexanderkubalsky.deviantart.com/gallery/?q=transformers) of a selection of Transformers Alexander Kubalsky was involved in, in recent years.

I particularly like the Hound transformation diagram, showing exactly how the parts would need to be designed in order to work.

Some keen eyed people will note that he's actually Australian, and was working at TakaraTomy on Transformers (the Hasbro "designers" send over basic concepts & modes, and the Tomy designers actually create the transforming figures). Not sure why he's no longer with Tomy though, as it was nice to know that an Australian had broken right into the "inner sanctum" of Transformers toy creation.

Hursticon
15th November 2011, 06:25 PM
Added the fact that he had a big hand in shaping the Classicsverse line which has gone on to be one of HasTakTom's most widely successful recent TF lines IMO. :D
Of interesting note is that he designed ROTF Brawn/Outback, Alexander would definitely be a rather interesting person to interview on the subject that's for sure. ;):cool:

He did a thoroughly excellent job with both Classicsverse Mirage and Hound, but I find it somewhat humorous though is that his notes on the bottom of HFTD Seaspray does little to help one decide whether the figure should end up on a Movieverse or a Classicsverse shelf... :p

GoktimusPrime
15th November 2011, 08:44 PM
Not sure why he's no longer with Tomy though, as it was nice to know that an Australian had broken right into the "inner sanctum" of Transformers toy creation.
According to TFwiki he's now working for Warner Brothers Animation as a toy and prop designer.

Sam
15th November 2011, 08:49 PM
I think being able to design transformations of figures takes conceptual skills to a whole new level...

Hursticon
15th November 2011, 11:27 PM
I think being able to design transformations of figures takes conceptual skills to a whole new level...

Couldn't agree more, especially when tasked with reproducing a character who's original toy mold has been lost to the ages as with Classicsverse Mirage. :)

@Goki: That explains the Batman stuff then. :cool:

griffin
16th November 2011, 12:59 AM

Indeed. When comparing the concept images from the Hasbro "designers" to what the Japanese designers produce, it's like comparing a pre-school crayon drawing to a Picasso. One maybe giving direction and nice looking animation models of characters and toy gimmicks, but I think TakaraTomy could create Transformers toys without Hasbro (could anyone easily say Hasbro could do the same without TT though?).

Hursticon
16th November 2011, 01:24 AM
One maybe giving direction and nice looking animation models of characters and toy gimmicks, but I think TakaraTomy could create Transformers toys without Hasbro (could anyone easily say Hasbro could do the same without TT though?).

I think this'll (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Star_Wars_%28franchise%29) answer your question. :p:D