PDA

View Full Version : Encore Devastator packaging pics

griffin
19th November 2011, 01:25 AM
Soon to be released is the latest Encore set from Tomy (in Japan)... the Constructicons (http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/in-package-images-of-transformers-encore-20-constructicons-devastator/23236/).

I can't work out what the "Hasbro" commemorative coin is about. Perhaps the release of the Encore set in HongKong, is packed with the Coin by Hasbro (who imports JP stuff into their HK market).

reillyd
19th November 2011, 01:37 AM
It seems just bizarre for Hasbro to do that, for a product that they won't be selling outside of HK.

griffin
19th November 2011, 01:51 AM
They've been doing it for the last couple JP Masterpiece figures released in HongKong, so maybe this is something they will be doing a lot more of in future.

sideswipes brother
19th November 2011, 07:26 AM
I am so happy that they kept him the same colours as the original. This was a good chance for them to give him red eyes but!

kup
19th November 2011, 08:50 AM
He also comes with the purple arms instead of black.

Kranix
20th November 2011, 08:43 PM
Looks great, I have Devastator on Pre-Order and can't wait for it to arrive! I've never Pre-Ordered a TF so I hope the quality is good!

Skullcruncher
21st November 2011, 08:55 AM
Wont be buying myself but the benfit of this issue is

1 - On other boards people who have purchased the KO have been indicating they will get rid of the KO and buy this.

2 - The price of an original g1 giftset is dropping even further for those inclined to go 'original'. When I first started collecting it was around $600-$700 now if your sharp you can get one in good condition for around $250 shipped. :cool:

Only issue is how to tell the difference between all the accessories!

5FDP
21st November 2011, 02:39 PM
Can't wait for this to arrive on my doorstep :D The purple forearms are neither here nor there for me; I had no preference. I'll just be happy to own a minty-fresh Devastator after 25 years.

Robzy
21st November 2011, 02:52 PM
Can't wait for this one! I already have a complete original G1 version, but I really want to support the Encore line... especially when awesome figures like this are reissued!

GoktimusPrime
21st November 2011, 02:59 PM
My G1 Constructicons are missing some of the smaller accessories like the individual pistols (hey, I got 'em in 1985 :p)... getting the reissues is probably easier and cheaper than tracking the guns down separately -- not to mention that I'd be supporting Encore too. Also, my original Constructicons have been WELL loved and I don't think they could take any more play... I intend on leaving them as Devastator and be able to play with the Encores as individual robots. :)

iceburn
21st November 2011, 03:10 PM
guys.. a Singapore fan has reported that it's missing the Devastator head for the current releases, so my advise is to open and check when you receive your orders

canofwhoopass_87
21st November 2011, 10:21 PM
My G1 Constructicons are missing some of the smaller accessories like the individual pistols (hey, I got 'em in 1985 :p)... getting the reissues is probably easier and cheaper than tracking the guns down separately -- not to mention that I'd be supporting Encore too. Also, my original Constructicons have been WELL loved and I don't think they could take any more play... I intend on leaving them as Devastator and be able to play with the Encores as individual robots. :)

I'd say Constructicons probably have the easiest to find / cheapest accessories out of most of G1's.

http://roboticplanet.com/store/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&zenid=b6c2ccd9568361028ee5b1ef459f5d39&keyword=constructicons

@ around $2 a piece, you can't go wrong. Although if you wanted to support encore than I guess there's only one way to roll :p

I already have an original set, but I actually found it nice that at least the forearms + mixmasters concrete mixer were different colours. Pity they changed it back to original colours; they had a unique feel to them.

GoktimusPrime
21st November 2011, 11:01 PM
Having a new set of Constructicons to play with is gonna be the best part of all! :D *squeal*

Man, I wish eHobby would do exclusive repaints again... it'd be cool if they reissued the Encore Constructicons in their Diaclone colours (http://diaclone.net/orid/diabuild/r02.jpg). Rebadge them as Autobots and give them new personas. Or if they wanna get lazy, call them "Crystal City Constructicons" (i.e. back when they were still buddies with Omega Supreme and before being reprogrammed as Decepticons). I'm still disappointed that they never did an exclusive repaint of Encore Metroplex as eHobby Metrotitan (even without Metrobomb, I would've gotten him -- and I reckon he would've sold well). *sigh*

5FDP
22nd November 2011, 12:34 PM
guys.. a Singapore fan has reported that it's missing the Devastator head for the current releases, so my advise is to open and check when you receive your orders

Hopefully this is just a one-off. I'm gonna wait until I see this reported elsewhere before hitting the panic button.

canofwhoopass_87
22nd November 2011, 01:00 PM
Lol I don't think there would be a panic button to begin with. It would be more of a slight annoyance than anything else. Picking up a replacement Devy head on ebay for $2-3 isn't beyond reach.

That's if the issue of headless encore devvies is actually not an isolated occurance :p

5FDP
22nd November 2011, 02:15 PM
Lol I don't think there would be a panic button to begin with. It would be more of a slight annoyance than anything else. Picking up a replacement Devy head on ebay for $2-3 isn't beyond reach.

That's if the issue of headless encore devvies is actually not an isolated occurance :p

I'm talking more from a MISB POV as I don't want to have to open him up to find out.

kup
22nd November 2011, 03:41 PM
I'm talking more from a MISB POV as I don't want to have to open him up to find out.

Is it at all possible to peek through the box windows to check on accessories?

5FDP
22nd November 2011, 03:47 PM
Is it at all possible to peek through the box windows to check on accessories?

I sure hope so. Going through Unicron's overbite and now this... it's just way too much to deal with :p

GoktimusPrime
22nd November 2011, 04:36 PM
Not everybody has eBay.

And that's beside the point, customers shouldn't have to spend a single extra cent to purchase an accessory that the product should already come with. If my Devastator came missing anything, I'd be calling TakaraTOMY's customer call centre ASAP and getting them to deal with it.

When I got MP01 Masterpiece Convoy it was missing one panel. I called Takara's customer call centre and they FedExed me replacement panels and some Transformer freebies as compensation for my inconvenience. But that's the ONLY time I've ever had a Japanese Transformer come with a missing part - and to Takara's credit they were just fantastic in handling my concern. :)

Sutton
22nd November 2011, 06:38 PM
Having a new set of Constructicons to play with is gonna be the best part of all! :D *squeal*

Man, I wish eHobby would do exclusive repaints again... it'd be cool if they reissued the Encore Constructicons in their Diaclone colours (http://diaclone.net/orid/diabuild/r02.jpg). Rebadge them as Autobots and give them new personas. Or if they wanna get lazy, call them "Crystal City Constructicons" (i.e. back when they were still buddies with Omega Supreme and before being reprogrammed as Decepticons). I'm still disappointed that they never did an exclusive repaint of Encore Metroplex as eHobby Metrotitan (even without Metrobomb, I would've gotten him -- and I reckon he would've sold well). *sigh*

Maybe they'll do a repaint in ROTF colours like they tried to do with Ironhide and Ratchet...ugh...

GoktimusPrime
22nd November 2011, 08:27 PM
G1 Ratchet in movie colours was awful. Ironhide was cool though because they weren't really his movie colours but his Diaclone colours (http://diaclone.net/orid/dia037/index.html), which coincidentally resembles his movie colours. :) Devastator in ROTF colours might work though -- I remember when I first saw pics of ROTF Devastator I thought it kinda resembled Devastator's Diaclone colours (http://diaclone.net/orid/diabuild/index.html) in a way... in terms of more realistic colours and also a variety of different colours instead of all being green.

5FDP
23rd November 2011, 10:11 AM
Has anyone actually received their email yet from RK (or wherever you pre-ordered it) saying it's been shipped?

GoktimusPrime
23rd November 2011, 10:51 AM
Not yet.

bowspearer
23rd November 2011, 11:00 AM
And that's beside the point, customers shouldn't have to spend a single extra cent to purchase an accessory that the product should already come with. If my Devastator came missing anything, I'd be calling TakaraTOMY's customer call centre ASAP and getting them to deal with it.

^^This. Hopefully it's a one off.

When I got MP01 Masterpiece Convoy it was missing one panel. I called Takara's customer call centre and they FedExed me replacement panels and some Transformer freebies as compensation for my inconvenience. But that's the ONLY time I've ever had a Japanese Transformer come with a missing part - and to Takara's credit they were just fantastic in handling my concern. :)

I suppose it's worth bringing up now in case it's more than an isolated incident or happens to any of us down the track; how straightforward is that with those of us who are non-Japanese speakers. Slightly off topic I realise, but seems like one of those interesting opportunities for some great info.

On the topic of the gift set, I'm sorely tempted but may have to wait until after Christmas. Hopefully some will still be left by then on places like HLJ.

iceburn
25th November 2011, 06:27 PM
Erm just to Correct my previous statement... it's Mixmaster who's missing it's head. Not the Devastator head

GoktimusPrime
25th November 2011, 10:12 PM
My Encore Devastator shipped out today.

Gutsman Heavy
25th November 2011, 10:46 PM
Still waiting on my pre-order to ship >:|

Edoot: lol, just got the shipping notice then!

Robzy
25th November 2011, 11:35 PM
I didn't pre-order... just went on and ordered today. Mine's already been shipped too this arvo. Cool... gotta love RK!

sideswipes brother
26th November 2011, 01:14 PM
My preorder is on its way too!!!

5FDP
26th November 2011, 11:20 PM
Looks like all the orders are shipping now... including mine :D Whoever receives theirs first, please post pics of Mixmaster. I very much doubt this is a widespread problem.

Robzy
27th November 2011, 08:48 PM
Yeah, faceless Mixmaster is something I definitely don't want!

GoktimusPrime
27th November 2011, 09:13 PM
If that turns out to be a recurring problem then it'll be a big embarrassment for TakaraTOMY who will end up suffering a loss of face. :p ;)

valkyrie_76
27th November 2011, 11:45 PM
If that turns out to be a recurring problem then it'll be a big embarrassment for TakaraTOMY who will end up suffering a loss of face. :p ;)

I see what you did there :D

Robzy
28th November 2011, 05:26 PM
Yeah, I'm sure heads will roll!

sideswipes brother
28th November 2011, 05:43 PM

Definately not the best way to get aHEAD in the toy industry :)

liegeprime
28th November 2011, 08:22 PM
a lot of pepole posting in Facebook about the headless issue... mostly Singapore stores ... for now, hmmm hope this gets resolved, makes me wanna rethink in buying this set right away...

GoktimusPrime
28th November 2011, 10:11 PM
This blog was posted last Saturday (http://moe-moe-moe.moe-nifty.com/moe/2011/11/post-420c.html) -- no apparent problems, and Mixmaster's head looks fine. Maybe Singapore got a dodgy batch? <shrug>

Here's hoping everyone here manages to stay ahead. ;)

heroic_decepticon
30th November 2011, 01:52 AM
no head issue with my set (from HK market, with coin), but there are 2 Scavenger guns and no Mixmaster gun.

Poor Mixmaster, first they rob him of his head, now they want his gun too...

5FDP
30th November 2011, 09:11 AM
If this missing gun is a common occurrence, expect to pay a premium on original Mixmaster guns on eBay.

GoktimusPrime
30th November 2011, 10:45 AM
no head issue with my set (from HK market, with coin), but there are 2 Scavenger guns and no Mixmaster gun.

Have you tried returning to the store for an exchange? (I definitely would if I were you)

5FDP
30th November 2011, 11:17 AM
Have you tried returning to the store for an exchange? (I definitely would if I were you)

Looking at the plastic tray (http://inlinethumb60.webshots.com/6075/2203019230100811158S500x500Q85.jpg) it does seem to be a packing error because it should hold Mixmaster's gun (http://www.toyarchive.com/STAForSale/NEW2001+/TF/Parts/Constructicons/MixmasterGun1a.jpg).

heroic_decepticon
30th November 2011, 03:30 PM
If this missing gun is a common occurrence, expect to pay a premium on original Mixmaster guns on eBay.

The thing with Constructicon parts on eBay is that there are so many KOs. With the little guns, there is just no way to tell whether its an original or KO.

Nope. Don't think it works this way since I didn't buy it from a major retail store. I'm pretty sure exchanges are not possible, but also because little stores would not be able to correspondingly exchange with their suppliers.

In the greater scheme of things, I think I may not try (although know that I should). :confused:

kup
30th November 2011, 05:10 PM
The thing with Constructicon parts on eBay is that there are so many KOs. With the little guns, there is just no way to tell whether its an original or KO.

It is possible to tell a KO gun from the real one but only in person. I know because I had the chance to compare both as originally I had been sold a KO gun from ebay which I thought looked 'off' but then at the Parra fair, I bought another gun and compared them both. The KO gun is much glossier than the real gun from Jamie's table which was among several legit Constructicons.

Unfortunately this is impossible to tell in photos.

If anyone asks, I gave away the KO gun a long time ago.

Hursticon
30th November 2011, 06:05 PM

That sucks man :(, where are these figures being produced again?

liegeprime
30th November 2011, 10:45 PM

With regards to KOs the guns as kup said are glossier, also the KOs didnt release the guns correctly/ completely... I have a KO devy so I know :p:D ( I also have 2 original Devys so I have compared it hehehe). The KO set didnt have guns for Scrapper and Mixmaster, all the rest did but are not as sharp in the edges and are really easy cheap looking plastic when you see it, but yeah... online buying wise it's ahrd to tell unless it's really close up pics - and even that can still fool anyone....

heroic_decepticon
30th November 2011, 10:53 PM
That sucks man :(, where are these figures being produced again?

Made in China. TFs are no longer made in Japan like they used to be.... :(

With regards to KOs the guns as kup said are glossier, also the KOs didnt release the guns correctly/ completely... I have a KO devy so I know :p:D ( I also have 2 original Devys so I have compared it hehehe). The KO set didnt have guns for Scrapper and Mixmaster, all the rest did but are not as sharp in the edges and are really easy cheap looking plastic when you see it, but yeah... online buying wise it's ahrd to tell unless it's really close up pics - and even that can still fool anyone....

I guess for Devastator, the key question is which KO. This is a toy that has been KO-ed right from the get go from the 90s KO-ed till the present.

I do have a version in giftset box that came with all the guns (but they were all black). This is a late 90s, early 2000s KO. Not sure whether the guns are glossier or not though. I ended up spraying the whole thing black for kicks and then throwing it away... heh.

liegeprime
30th November 2011, 11:03 PM
Made in China. TFs are no longer made in Japan like they used to be.... :(

I guess for Devastator, the key question is which KO. This is a toy that has been KO-ed right from the get go from the 90s KO-ed till the present.

I do have a version in giftset box that came with all the guns (but they were all black). This is a late 90s, early 2000s KO. Not sure whether the guns are glossier or not though. I ended up spraying the whole thing black for kicks and then throwing it away... heh.

Hmmm I thought the Tfs are now made in Vietnam, I guess they didnt totally move their prod line entirely to Vietnam.

Yeah I know what you mean about, which KO version, there's this KO giftset ( more recent I believe) of Devy which came with the Legit looking packaging as well. My Ko came with the cheapo packaging so I knew what I was getting in the first place. I wanted it still coz I only had the G2 orange version at those time. But when I migrated here and discovered ebay :D( oh woes my wallet) that devy has been relegated to somewhere..... somewhere, hmmm can't think where I put it...

I thought the facebook posts were poor shots coz I noticed the various shades of green , then I saw it here and apparently it IS the norm for this set. ah well. I guess it is their way indeed of setting it apart from KOs and Originals. sure looks kinda weird though in pics. Its like a vintage toy has gone degraded in plastic quality even though it isnt:p Is the coin thing only for HK released figs?

GoktimusPrime
30th November 2011, 11:09 PM
Used to be? Dude, Transformers haven't been made in Japan for a looong time. :)

Hang on a sec...

[goes to TF room]

[back to computer]

Okay, I just grabbed a random sample of toys from the mid to late 1980s to check where they were made and I found:
+ 1986 Kup: Made in Japan
+ 1987 Chromedome: Made in Japan
+ 1987 Wingspan: Made in Japan
+ 1987 Lightspeed: Made in Macau
+ 1987 Goldbug: Made in Taiwan
+ 1989 Roughstuff: Made in China

So based on that sample, it appears that Transformers from 1984-86 were made in Japan, but in 1987 they started outsourcing manufacturing outside Japan in places like Macau and the Republic of China (although many 1987 toys were still made in Japan). Then in 1989 manufacturing was also outsourced to the People's Republic of China (although I'm sure some other toys continued to be outsourced in other countries outside Japan too - I cbb going back to my TF room again, but IIRC 1993 G2 Megatron was made in Indonesia).

At any rate, it seems that Transformers haven't been made in Japan for twenty-three years!! ;) :D

Back when all my TFs were made in Japan --> http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/G1%20toyplay/th_g1_1986.jpg

I remember when I first got Afterburner in 1987, I did notice that he wasn't made in Japan. http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/G1%20toyplay/th_g1_1988.jpg In fact, I'd never even heard of Macau before I got Afterburner! (so I learnt something new that day, heh :))

heroic_decepticon
30th November 2011, 11:14 PM
Hmmm I thought the Tfs are now made in Vietnam, I guess they didnt totally move their prod line entirely to Vietnam.

hmmm... that's true. I just checked the box and it says "made in China".

*snip* But when I migrated here and discovered ebay :D( oh woes my wallet) that devy has been relegated to somewhere..... somewhere, hmmm can't think where I put it...

the basement!

I thought the facebook posts were poor shots coz I noticed the various shades of green , then I saw it here and apparently it IS the norm for this set. ah well. I guess it is their way indeed of setting it apart from KOs and Originals. sure looks kinda weird though in pics. Its like a vintage toy has gone degraded in plastic quality even though it isnt:p Is the coin thing only for HK released figs?

I don't think TT did it on purpose to set it apart from the vintage, why would they give a flying fart anyway. I think it's more just the cheaper quality plastic that is used nowadays. Cos to be honest, there are mold changes (which meant that they bothered to tweak stuff) and does combine better than the vintage, but then plastic is plastic. If they use the cheap stuff, colours turn out off-green...

heroic_decepticon
30th November 2011, 11:20 PM
Gok, love the photos of kiddy time you and TFs. Keep 'em comin'

I wish (retrospectively) that I have photos of me playing with TFs as a kid or even just a photo of my childhood TFs *tears*

You are lucky that you got '86 and even '87 stuff that is made in Japan. By '86, TFs were already partially made outside Japan. Each of the 1987 large HMs has a Made in Japan version and a Made in Macau/Taiwan version, with the former being denser and better quality than the latter of course.

liegeprime
30th November 2011, 11:24 PM
I still prefer using the crazy devy legs attachment,gives them extra needed height and proper legs hehehe though that 3rd party attachment is seriously overpriced!! :p

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb313/liegeprime/Miscellaneous/DSC00471.jpg

So the plastic on this one feels weaker? would you say it's gonna be prone to chipping, cracking. cos that my biggest fear especially the plate which forms the "thighs" which both Scrapper and Mixmaster attaches to, kinda is scary to manipulate in the original actually which is why i opted for these 3rd party thighs...

5FDP
1st December 2011, 08:54 AM
Gok, love the photos of kiddy time you and TFs. Keep 'em comin'

Don't encourage him. I've lost count of how many times I've seen those photo's :p

kup
1st December 2011, 09:21 AM
Don't encourage him. I've lost count of how many times I've seen those photo's :p

I have to agree.

Skullcruncher
1st December 2011, 10:03 AM
It is possible to tell a KO gun from the real one but only in person. I know because I had the chance to compare both as originally I had been sold a KO gun from ebay which I thought looked 'off' but then at the Parra fair, I bought another gun and compared them both. The KO gun is much glossier than the real gun from Jamie's table which was among several legit Constructicons.

Unfortunately this is impossible to tell in photos.

If anyone asks, I gave away the KO gun a long time ago.

Nearly - these photos are all on the net but anyone cant find them pm me.

http://thumbnails66.imagebam.com/16214/0e39ed162130452.jpg (http://www.imagebam.com/image/0e39ed162130452)

Robzy
1st December 2011, 09:09 PM
My Devastator arrived yesterday from RK. He's perfect! Mixmaster has a head. Stickers are great. All guns present and correct.

No complaints here! :)