PDA

View Full Version : my older custom work

MindsetOverhaul
29th November 2011, 10:59 PM
hi. here are some of my customs (shown in no particular order).
i've been doing this for a bit over a year and i gotta say, chopping up transformers and building my own has become highly addictive. build-wise, they're far from seamless and my paint apps are generally rush-jobs (lots of weathering to hide the fact that i can't paint to save my life), basically far from the work of my idles of the kitbash arena, but, more positively they're sturdy and can take just about as much rough handling as regular TFs. you can see alt modes, additional pics and a few other customs in my gallery at sector70 but from now on i'll be posting all my new stuff here. thanks for looking

Hursticon
30th November 2011, 06:12 PM
Some bloody nice work here man :eek:, you've done rather well with your choice of part compositions and especially the paint work :cool:; excellent job Mindset, I'm looking forward to seeing your new pieces when you get around to them. ;):)

loophole
30th November 2011, 07:19 PM
i particularly like the Blitzwing, and that optimus look interesting. I like Blurr too i thought about do something similar myself

MindsetOverhaul
1st December 2011, 01:04 AM
wow, thanks Hursticon!

loophole, RE: blurr - the inspiration for that came from (and full credit goes to) a WIP that the legendary Tom (dave) Servo began a long time ago and to my knowledge still hasn't finished on account of his high demand for commissions that keep him busy. either way, the junker G1 blurr would've remained exactly that if he didn't plant that seed.

and out of interest, do you/would you do commission paints and/or is that something you'd be interested in doing? your clean paint works are always tight as hell!

GoktimusPrime
1st December 2011, 03:04 PM
Can they all transform?

loophole
1st December 2011, 06:37 PM
and out of interest, do you/would you do commission paints and/or is that something you'd be interested in doing? your clean paint works are always tight as hell!

i have done it once in the past did a batch of Sunstreakers and Sideswipes for some members here, it all depends on what it is and how busy i am at the time.

Sam
1st December 2011, 06:48 PM
I enjoyed your customs gallery, thanks for sharing! :)

MindsetOverhaul
1st December 2011, 09:16 PM
Thanks Sam!

Loophole, i gotta check in with you about commish sometime. i'd be stoked to rig a deck to suit us both

GoktimusPrime, shockwave can transform but not in any reasonable G1 fashion, likewise Galvatron. i built them as one-shot pieces for a shonky stop motion ani i was working on but that died in the arse and they're currently back on my WIP desk. Eventually, Galvatron will be transformable to fit a classics/henkei aesthetic and Shockwave is getting a general makeover (legs and forearm/fist) but won't be transformable.

Slag
9th December 2011, 08:53 PM
Awesome stuff!! those Insecticons are sweet.

Geminii
10th December 2011, 05:23 PM
The Blitzwing and the Daniel are particularly interesting.

MindsetOverhaul
11th December 2011, 10:14 AM
thanks for checking them out Geigerrock:)

The Blitzwing and the Daniel are particularly interesting.

cheers mate. i try to make my customs in the Henkei/Classics aesthetic. Character resemblance without being particularly canon.

GoktimusPrime
11th December 2011, 04:42 PM
GoktimusPrime, shockwave can transform but not in any reasonable G1 fashion, likewise Galvatron. i built them as one-shot pieces for a shonky stop motion ani i was working on but that died in the arse and they're currently back on my WIP desk. Eventually, Galvatron will be transformable to fit a classics/henkei aesthetic and Shockwave is getting a general makeover (legs and forearm/fist) but won't be transformable.

I prefer to give myself the challenge of making stop motion animations strictly using the articulation of what the toys already have without modification. Customising the toys to make them more articulated feels like "cheating" to me.

At least, that's what tell people to hide the fact that I lack the skills or inclination to modify them for better articulation. :p ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vYCqNbzRjg

MindsetOverhaul
12th December 2011, 01:14 AM
that's a neat vid you've made! i think you've edited it to fit the music really really well. you didn't have to worry about articulation with those figures though did you?;):)
i didn't answer the question in your other post very well at all. the answer is yes. and the 2 i rambled on about are the only 2 that don't as yet. on a side note, the mods aren't necessarily or hardly ever for better articulation but rather a better likeness to, uh, whatever character i'm trying to represent.

GoktimusPrime
12th December 2011, 11:39 AM
Thanks for the kind words. :)

you didn't have to worry about articulation with those figures though did you?;):)
That's what I thought when I first started, but it was still challenging getting those figures to mimic the original dance (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5G5bD2Do-k). The two Megatrons proved more challenging (MP Megatron's shoulders have surprisingly limited articulation) - and G2 Megatron was the most challenging, being a brick and all. :D It would have been impossible for him to strike the final pose, so I just had him jump up and transform, finishing off in tank mode. :p