PDA

View Full Version : Sydney CBD finally has a toystore again!

dirge
4th December 2011, 11:00 AM
As many Sydneysiders will know, greater Sydney has a relative dearth of dedicated toystores - it's mostly TRU with the odd independants here and there (Blacktown, Camden, Taren Point, Brookvale, Roselands until recently).

I hadn't heard or read about it anywhere, but last week I noticed a big "Uncle Pete's Toys" sign on George St :eek:

It's in the new Mid City Centre (off Pitt St Mall, but at the George St Entrance) in the basement level. This is the same complex (albeit demolished & rebuild) as the old Playscene of around 10 years ago.

I checked it out of course. Given the poor recent retail offerings, their Transformers range was pretty abysmal. The prices were a little on the expensive side, but I expected that given the likely rental rates at their location.

kup
4th December 2011, 04:00 PM
Uncle Pete's have always been pretty expensive. There used to be one at Roselands but it closed down a few months back - Their prices weren't great and suffered a bit from 'TrU Syndrome' in which their store became a bit of a toy museum due to all the old over priced stock they refuse to clear.

GoktimusPrime
4th December 2011, 10:06 PM
Uncle Pete's have always been pretty expensive.
Yup. :(

There used to be one at Roselands but it closed down a few months back - Their prices weren't great and suffered a bit from 'TrU Syndrome' in which their store became a bit of a toy museum due to all the old over priced stock they refuse to clear.
About half of my G1 collection came from Roselands, and a fair chunk of that from that Uncle Pete's! :D Although during the 1980s it was called Toyworld and I don't think it was that expensive, cos I doubt my mum would've allowed me to get toys from there if their prices were substantially above that of other department stores in Roselands (e.g. Target, Myer^Grace Bros etc.) But yeah, Uncle Pete's today is just too expensive. HobbyCo is expensive too, but at least they sometimes get in exclusive stuff (e.g. reissue Micromasters) or they get stuff in earlier than other retailers (although often you can save money by just waiting for those toys to show up at other stores).

Other Uncle Pete's stores just sit on old stock for ages and ages and ages at full RRP - which never moves because other retailers will sell them for cheaper. You can still find lots of ROTF toys at Uncle Pete's. :/ Uncle Pete's... land of the shelfwarmers...

lcz128
4th December 2011, 10:44 PM
Ah, is it recent? I was up there last weekend and found Uncle Pete's and just thought I missed it the first couple of times I was up this year :)

tron07
6th December 2011, 12:54 PM
The Uncle Pete had been there for like 1 month ago... stumble and walk in like sometime early Nov, nothing much special there, I think hobbyco got more TF stuffs. Its somewhere opposite Apple Store, beside JB Hifi.

5FDP
6th December 2011, 01:08 PM
Although during the 1980s it was called Toyworld

Serious... I had no idea. That was back when I lived in Adelaide and most of my G1 collection came from Toyworld too :D