PDA

View Full Version : Just how much do Group Interviews s#ck?!

Pulse
27th May 2008, 11:48 PM
I bet everyone's been to atleast one of 'em before & knows first-hand that they are the worst way by far of finding out whether or not the applicant is the right person for the job.

Everyone knows the only reason business' use them to scout applicants is for their own benefit. How are you supposed to show them what skills you can bring to their business when every other applicant there is trying to out-do the other, attempting to one-up themselves over the applicant next to them?

The worst cattle call/Group Interview I've ever been to was for the opening of a new Border's store. There were some 30-odd positions up for grabs with some 800 people applying for them (Yes, that's what they told us).

The reason this is on my mind is cos tomorrow I have to go to an Assessment Centre (located at a Ridges Hotel) for a bloody 5-hour session for a few positions to become - of all things - a Docs Caseworker!

In all honesty, I have no idea how my teaching/education background has any possible benefit to being a Docs Caseworker. Aren't they looking for applicants with social work backgrounds instead?

The position of being a Docs Caseworker wasn't even on my radar during my job hunting at all. I found it in the local paper, decided to apply for the hell of it, I did an online test yesterday & tomorrow I'll be going to a bloody 5 hour Assessment Centre (that's what Docs call it) with up to 9 other applicants in total. Realistically, I'm not even sure if I wanna work as a Docs Caseworker at all (I've heard/read quite a few stories of how people have become so disillusioned with that line of work which made them pack up their stuff & quit).

Man, Group Interviews S#ck!!!

MV75
28th May 2008, 12:04 AM
Nope, never had one. I'd go in your place for you, but yea, different state.
________
Iolite Vaporizer Review (http://iolitevaporizer.net/)

Jimreborn
28th May 2008, 12:12 AM
Never had one either. Are they common?

STL
28th May 2008, 12:17 AM
Try not to worry, Pulse. I went through a heap of them recently when I was applying for Graduate work. I do agree. These are the toughest %&$#es in the entire process. For virtually every group assessment I did, there was at least 1 a$$hole. They'd talk over you and dominate the proceedings. You should try and smile and nod. Do -not- cut them off. It's good to be assertive but trust me, if you feel the frustration the assessors are feeling it twice as much. They sit through these things all day.

My advice is stick to not trying to say too much. That's where you fall down. What's important at this stage isn't your ability to show how skilled or knowledgeable you are but how you work with other people. Sure, it's a terrible way for them to assess that as everyone is competing against everyone so collaboration just goes out the door. However, stick to these:
1.) Eye contact to the speaker
2.) Acknowledge other peoples points w/ phrases like
- "Just touching on what Mike said, I actually think that we can[PointA]"
- "I really agree w/ what Mike's point but I'd like to also add that [pointB]"
3.) Nod in acknowledgement
4.) Use "we" where possible
5.) Where you can bring other people into the conversation, ask them to elaborate on ideas, expand them - this shows that you're listening and that you value the opinions of others.

Remember, the non-verbal communication is just as important as verbal communication. Screw the technical analytical side of things. Keep two to three main points but don't get stressed over the details.

For me, for every assessment centre I got past, I got an offer. And I did end up w/ a few. The behavioural and motivational interviews are far easier though it might depend on how much of a tightass your interviewer is. I've heard of some very bad ones. This is the hardest stage imo and it seems most places require it these days though I think, and past and present graduates who went through the process, absolutely hate it.

Best of luck, mate.

roller
28th May 2008, 09:18 AM
i know whatcha mean, group interviews suck!

At least you dont have to play silly getting to know each other games

i_amtrunks
28th May 2008, 10:01 AM
Funny you mention that Pulse, as my missus was at the same venue for the same position 2 weeks ago.
She only had 2 other applicants of the supposed 8 rock up, so hopefully the same thing will occur for you, the process also only lasted about 4 hours instead of the 5 they had stated. Be prepared for "official actors" to pose as both parents and the higher ups in staged scenarios.

STL had some great points, unlike most jobs I think a group interview for DoCS jobs is a good idea, it's a real people person job, so being able to handle the rude, intolerant and downright stupid at the group interviews should allow the markers to see if you can handle the same kind of things once you are on the job.

Goodluck

Pulse
28th May 2008, 08:06 PM
Thanks for your support Guys, I really appreciate it. :)

The damn thing started at 1pm, finished at around about 5:45pm & I only got home at about 7 (after stopping to get some dindin :D). There were 7 of us applicants there & of the 7, I was the only one under 45 years old. I'm 28 & I felt like a kid compared to everyone else there :rolleyes:.

There was a written activity, a group discussion task, a role play, a one-on-one interview & a multiple choice test. It seemed like all the other applicants had Social Work backgrounds & it got me thinking "What's someone with a Teaching/Education background doing here? (aka. Me)".

Anyway, I think I did alright, I knew what I was talking about (most of the time anyway :D) & They said they'd be in touch soon - whatever that means. :rolleyes:

Trunks, did your Missus attend the one at Rydges Bankstown too?

MV75
28th May 2008, 10:32 PM

Yes, you might have sniffed the very seat she used. :D
________
Mflb (http://vaporizer.org/portable)

i_amtrunks
29th May 2008, 10:05 AM

No she was out at either Parra or the city (one was for casework, the other for the DoCS phone centre) and buggered if I can remember which was which.

Tetsuwan Convoy
31st May 2008, 05:39 PM
I have only had 2 group interviews (I seem to stick to the same company for a long time). One(for Toys R us) I walked out of mid-view coz I was only after a nightfill job and they were just vomiting copius amounts of rubbish. The other was for my current job and it was fairly close (in time) to the TRU one and I was upset at ANOTHER group interview, so I just hammed it up big time. I had a ball and it was a lot of fun.

I even got the job!:D Go figure.

roller
31st May 2008, 10:48 PM
my great great grandmother is dead long time