PDA

View Full Version : What are your standards when it comes to the "perfect" reissue?

GoktimusPrime
10th December 2011, 09:27 PM
For me, I use the original as a measuring standard when judging reissues. To me a reissue ought to be on par with the original to pass my definition of "perfect."

I consider reissues like Encore Bruticus and Devastator to be less-than-perfect because they suffer various problems that don't exist in the originals. I can forgive Bruticus more because the mould was overused during RiD... Devastator... can't think of a reason why that set has several QA issues. But for whatever reason, the fact is that they do suffer from certain defects that the originals don't have.

So for me, when I get a reissue I compare it with the original and if it's just as good then it passes as a "perfect" reissue to me. Now I think that using the originals as a minimum standard is reasonably objective measure of a reissue; reissues like God Ginrai, Sixshot, Hound, Perceptor, Skids, Ratchet, Ironhide etc., often where it's really hard to distinguish the reissues from the originals (often only the copyright stamp gives them away). I think in these cases - where the reissues are near-perfect replicas of the original toys, then these are pretty much "perfect" reissues.

---------------------------------------

Okay, onto something more subjective: what about reissues that are different from the originals, but not in any way to do with QA? (often the changes are intentional) For me, it depends on what the difference are and whether or not I consider them to make the toy better or worse.

Examples of reissues that - QA-wise are fine, but have changes I don't like include:
+ Reissue Sixwing (WHY couldn't they have reissued him in colours approximating his G1 counterpart? Or at least made him a freakin' Autobot... *sigh*)
+ Any Hasbro reissue with elongated missiles (looks so stupid)
+ Hasbro's first reissue Soundwave. Blue Soundblaster =/= Soundwave
+ Encore Trailbreaker. The blue eye looks crap. I wish it were red like the G1 toy.
+ Any Hasbro reissue stripped of chrome (although Hasbro reissue Jazz did fix the problem with the rear roof that the previous Takara reissue had - but both reissues still have the problem of carrying over G2 Jazz's "poop-eating grin" - I've heard that Encore Jazz has a resculpted face with a more G1-accurate mouth and also with Hasbro Jazz's fixed rear roof thingy)
+ Hasbro reissue Dinobot (colours are neither accurate to the original toy or the cartoon... what's the point??)

Examples of reissues that have intentional changes that I do like and consider to improve the toy:
+ Encore Sky Lynx. The painted mouth interior and blue eyes on the "Lynx" component looks muchly cooler than G1 Sky Lynx. :)
+ TFC Wheelie. Still a crap toy, but the colours look nicer.
+ eHobby Astrotrain. What's not to like? ;)
+ Star Convoy. The silvers look much nicer than the whites on the original IMHO.
+ Landcross. I like how they all have individual Autobot logos tampographed on them, and I also like the different face colours and painted eyes, although it does make them look less like the cartoon (which is more G1 toy accurate in colours). I know some people don't like how Tackle changed from vermilion to orange, but I don't mind the orange - looks more show-like too IMO (which is probably the reason why they did it).
+ Reissue G2 Battle Convoy (Laser Prime)
+ Telemocha Dinobot
+ Telemocha Blackarachnia
+ Reissue Waspinator

Examples of reissues with changes that I consider are neither here nor there (i.e. don't make the toys necessarily much better or worse than their originals):
+ Micromaster gestalts (except Sixwing). Some of the colour changes are quite different, but I don't think they look any worse. I do really like how they have individual Autobot logos tampographed on though.
+ Encore Omega Supreme's face. A big load of "meh."
+ The second Predaking reissue (i.e. "goldie"). See my reaction to Omega Supreme's face :p
+ Blue eyes on TFC Sideswipe
+ Blue eyes on New Year Special Convoy -- actually, I do think this looks inferior to the yellow eyes on the original and other reissues (yellow eyes tend to offset much better against the blue head wheres blue eyes - even a lighter shade - looks too bland), but it's not what I would consider bad enough to put on my "bad" list.
+ TFC Starscream. Yeah, I know lovers of show likeness may love this toy, but I don't really give a hoot about show likeness (the toy came first!)... the colours aren't bad... but I don't think they enhance the toy (not to me anyway).
+ Hasbro reissue Cheetor and Rhinox. So they glitter. Meh.

---------------------------------------

So for me, a reissue doesn't need to be an exact replica of the original per se, but for me to consider it to be an ideal reissue then it ought to be of comparable quality to the original -- and I can accept changes that either don't detract from the toy or enhance it.

LordCyrusOmega
12th December 2011, 08:52 AM
I missed out on a lot of G1 toys for various reasons so If I'm going to buy a reissue I want something that is exacly the same as the original. If not exact then the changes must be something that makes the mould better.
I'm going to play with it so I expect it to be sturdy enough not to break the first time I touch it.

Jinto
12th December 2011, 12:25 PM
I picked 'Other',
My perfect reissue would have quality on par with the original, and no decorative changes except where it made the figurine more show accurate. For example the original Beast Wars Tarantulas and Waspinator moulds had those horrible grey heads. The reissues had decorative changes but it made them way better.

Verno
12th December 2011, 12:38 PM
I'm with Jinto on this one. The figures have to be made to more closely represent their show incarnations.

Hasbro were on drugs when they picked the colors of their 10th anniversary versions of the BW figures, but Takara got them basically spot on.

And bring on more of them I say! 15th Anniversary Scorponok, Terrorsaur Inferno, Rattrap and Airazor!!!

liegeprime
12th December 2011, 01:19 PM
I agree with LCO,
G1 originals will of course be the benchmark but if the little changes are like easter eggs or aesthetically pleasing even by a small percent then Im ok with it, plus Im more likely to play with the reissue than the originals due to (hopefully) the recent figure more resistant to damage being newer ( less brittle and all that.

I choose Others, Perfect for me is if the figures indeed are sturdier, may or may not have added improvements - aesthetics wise ( gold plastic predaking, face on omega, new face mold) as long as it is sturdy enopugh to withstand play, and doesnt easily chip break or came out already bent, it's perfect for me. One thing I cant consider perfect though is if the reissue has defects ( even though sturdy) in the mold - like that of the nosecones of the seekers, just looks bad... the original nosecones are just more "perfect". Also price range - the reissues (encores) have been pretty much cheaper and hence affordable to get than originals or much earlier reissues) - which is one detraction ( although I have the figure) from E-hobby Astrotrain. Yes it has the show accurate ( or near to it) color scheme but the price is just off putting...

GoktimusPrime
13th December 2011, 12:27 AM
One thing I cant consider perfect though is if the reissue has defects ( even though sturdy) in the mold - like that of the nosecones of the seekers, just looks bad... the original nosecones are just more "perfect".
I agree. Hence I find it a peculiar claim that Encore Devastator could be considered "perfect" when it has numerous flaws/defects in its design/manufacture.

Also price range - the reissues (encores) have been pretty much cheaper and hence affordable to get than originals or much earlier reissues) - which is one detraction ( although I have the figure) from E-hobby Astrotrain. Yes it has the show accurate ( or near to it) color scheme but the price is just off putting...
To be fair, you're talking about inflated aftermarket prices. eHobby Astrotrain originally sold for 3000JPY ($38). I find aftermarket prices to be off-putting in general for any toy... but yeah, limited exclusive toys like eHobby Astrotrain would be more prohibitive than others on the aftermarket. But it doesn't mean that the toy was overpriced to begin with.

5FDP
13th December 2011, 08:52 AM
The majority of people I speak to who buy reissues did not have / own the originals and therefore are unable to make comparisons noting any changes in plastic or other materials used.

This does not make them wrong in holding the opinion that reissues are 'perfect', because as was stated in the first post, everyone has their own definition of the word and standards to match.

Don't forget, even the original releases back in the 80's were rampant with QC issues.

kup
13th December 2011, 11:39 AM
The way I see it, a reissue is a re-release of the original toy. Therefore it should be as close as possible to the original. Naturally it cannot be an exact recreation so some differences will be present but regardless, the attempt should be to make it as close as possible to the original release.

Personally, I don't agree when people call a new re-color of a vintage toy as a re-issue. These includes E-hobby exclusives like Gadep, Sunstorm, the millions of G1 Prime repaints and the TF Club Piranacon. Sorry but to me those are new repaints, not re-issues. There was never a vintage toy sporting those colors so it's a new release altogether not a re-release (reissue) of a previous toy.

To illustrate my point further, the latest 'gold' Predaking is not a reissue to me but rather repaint. The previous Takara reissue to that which was faithful to the original toy colors is the proper reissue.

Just to be clear, I am not against repainted releases of vintage molds that aim to bring something new (like Sunstorm) or show accuracy (Like Ehobby Astrotrain or Telemocha Dinobot). I very much love those repaints and I think they are awesome but I would not call them re-issues.

GoktimusPrime
13th December 2011, 11:55 AM
This does not make them wrong in holding the opinion that reissues are 'perfect', because as was stated in the first post, everyone has their own definition of the word and standards to match.
Oh absolutely. :) We all have different standards which determine what we think is good, bad, perfect etc. I don't mind if people want to claim that a toy is "perfect," but I'm curious to know what criteria they used to determine their rating of "perfect." My criteria is based on comparison with the originals, but of course this is just my own personal standards. :D

Don't forget, even the original releases back in the 80's were rampant with QC issues.
True. So even if a reissue is the same quality as the original, and say I rate it 100%... what happens to a reissue that's better than the original? Do I rate it 110%? That's impossible! It's probably more accurate for me to say that a reissue that equals the quality of the original completely fulfills my expectations for that toy. A reissue that improves over the original exceeds my expectations for that toy! And indeed, sometimes I will only get a reissue if it - to me - shows a substantial improvement over the original, like reissue Waspinator and Dinobot.

I wish they'd reissue GPS toys without the crappy gold plastic!

5FDP
13th December 2011, 01:02 PM
Oh absolutely. :) We all have different standards which determine what we think is good, bad, perfect etc. I don't mind if people want to claim that a toy is "perfect," but I'm curious to know what criteria they used to determine their rating of "perfect." My criteria is based on comparison with the originals, but of course this is just my own personal standards. :D

I think the word 'perfect' in some cases may just be a throwaway term and not meant to be taken literally or measured against varying degrees of perfection. It's quite possible that when someone refers to a reissue as being perfect, they are just merely expressing their love / joy in owning a character that they have been longing for. This is the first time we've seen Devastator reissued in 18 years so I can understand why someone would be overjoyed (myself included :D)

GoktimusPrime
13th December 2011, 02:17 PM
5FDP: Fairy nuff. :)

The way I see it, a reissue is a re-release of the original toy. Therefore it should be as close as possible to the original. Naturally it cannot be an exact recreation so some differences will be present but regardless, the attempt should be to make it as close as possible to the original release.
^agree

Personally, I don't agree when people call a new re-color of a vintage toy as a re-issue. These includes E-hobby exclusives like Gadep, Sunstorm, the millions of G1 Prime repaints and the TF Club Piranacon. Sorry but to me those are new repaints, not re-issues. There was never a vintage toy sporting those colors so it's a new release altogether not a re-release (reissue) of a previous toy.

To illustrate my point further, the latest 'gold' Predaking is not a reissue to me but rather repaint. The previous Takara reissue to that which was faithful to the original toy colors is the proper reissue.

Just to be clear, I am not against repainted releases of vintage molds that aim to bring something new (like Sunstorm) or show accuracy (Like Ehobby Astrotrain or Telemocha Dinobot). I very much love those repaints and I think they are awesome but I would not call them re-issues.

I don't think anyone really considers repaints of existing moulds but marketed as new characters as reissues, do they? Hauler, Sunstorm and Road Rage are no more reissues of Grapple, Thundercracker and Tracks (respectively) than say Ruination is a reissue of G1 Bruticus or Universe Nemesis Prime is a reissue of Big Convoy etc. A repaint isn't a reissue unless it's explicitly marketed as being the same character - and even then, there probably needs to be a substantial period of time to pass before it's considered a reissue (e.g. Battle Steel Optimus Prime isn't widely considered to be a reissue of DOTM Optimus Prime).

Moulds that are re-released and explicitly marketed as being the same character do technically count as reissues I reckon - regardless of whether or not people individually like them or not. But the more similar a reissue is to the original toy, then the more accurate or faithful that reissue is as a reproduction of the original toy... I don't think anyone can dispute that. People may or may not like some of the toys that are less faithful reproductions - that's a matter of personal opinion.

Reissues that are different from the original do technically count as reissues, however I do agree that they are not as faithful reissues as those which are more accurate reproductions of the original. Toys which are less-accurate reproductions, to me, aren't as accurate reissues - but I do still count them as reissues. The only way I would discount a toy from being a reissue is if it's not meant to be the same character (e.g. GADEP -- totally _not_ a reissue of Omega Supreme).

But counting them doesn't mean I like them all... there are some reissues that, in my heart, feels like they shouldn't count - but because Hasbro's marketed them as a certain character, then they count. Two examples are:

+ Apex Armour Optimus Prime. This is a re-release of God Ginrai with a chromeless extended missile, and the Ginrai mould is quite different from Powermaster Optimus Prime... different materials, entirely different arms and hands, different colours etc. Also, Powermaster Optimus Prime never attached to Godbomber, oh sorry, Apex Armour <cough>. Seems like a cheap/lazy way to do a PM Prime reissue by just using the existing God Ginrai reissue mould rather than retooling it to become PM Prime (which I would have much preferred -- I skipped Apex Prime, but I might have purchased a PM Prime reissue if they did it "properly").

+ Hasbro Soundwave reissue - I'm talking about the one that was sold in TRU here... the blue repaint of Soundblaster, but they didn't bother retooling the chest/door to make it look like Soundwave. Blue Soundblaster =/= Soundwave to me. Needless to say when Encore Soundwave came out, I soon got rid of my Hasbro Soundwave in favour of Encore.

So to me I consider both reissues of Predaking as reissues, but the first reissue is obviously a far more faithful and accurate reproduction of G1 Predaking. I do still consider Goldaking to be a reissue of Predaking, but it is a less accurate repro of Predaking. Likewise Proto-Astrotrain is a less faithful repro of the actual Astrotrain toy that was released in stores, and the regular Astrotrain reissue is accurate to the G1 toy (in Japan). It's a shame Hasbro didn't bother to repaint their Astrotrain reissue to make it more accurate to the G1 toy released in Hasbro markets (again, cheap and lazy option).

kup
13th December 2011, 04:17 PM
I have heard the 'reissue' term thrown loosely around by fans. Most commonly to do with Ehobby releases using the general term 'Ehobby reissues'.

I still don't consider things like the latest Predaking, Piranacon (Club) and Ehobby Astrotrain as reissues. To me they are repaints as they were deliberately repainted to look different negating their 'reissue' status as the toy in this form has never been released before.

What I would consider to be a 'less than faithful' reissue but still a reissue nevertheless are releases such as the new Devastator and Bruticus. They are lacking in quality and some of the colors chosen are brighter than they should be but regardless, they are intended to be reproductions of the original toy not made to purposely be different with a new sporty paint scheme or with new funky gold highlights.

GoktimusPrime
13th December 2011, 05:21 PM
The word "reissue" is a pretty broad term in itself anyway. It refers to the repeat issue of a product "which has been released at least once before and is released again, sometimes with alterations or additions." <--so a reissue with alterations or additions are still classified as reissues. Reissues are also known as re-release or re-editions, and certainly changes can be made between different releases or editions; hence why the edition of a book is often cited in bibliographies.

The Japanese term for reissue toys is "Fukkokuban" (復刻版) - "fukkoku" means "reissue" or "re-release" and "ban" means "edition" or "version." So it implies that there can/may be differences between it and previous editions (as with books etc.).

I think we need to delineate the difference between a reissue and a replica. It seems to me that your idea of a "perfect" reissue is one that is a near-perfect replica. Just out of interest, would you consider reissues with overlengthed missiles and/or stripped chrome missiles to be reissues? Because I don't consider these reissues to be quite unsatisfactory and displeasing replicas.

All replicas are reissues, but some reissues are better replicas than others. Some reissues don't even attempt to be replicas and have intentional changes made to them - so they do fail as being classified as replicas, but they would still technically count as being reissues methinks.

So for example:
+ First Predaking reissue = replicant reissue
+ 2nd Predaking reissue = non-replicant reissue

Blade Runner'd! :p

kup
13th December 2011, 06:56 PM
The word "reissue" is a pretty broad term in itself anyway. It refers to the repeat issue of a product "which has been released at least once before and is released again, sometimes with alterations or additions." <--so a reissue with alterations or additions are still classified as reissues. Reissues are also known as re-release or re-editions, and certainly changes can be made between different releases or editions; hence why the edition of a book is often cited in bibliographies.

The Japanese term for reissue toys is "Fukkokuban" (復刻版) - "fukkoku" means "reissue" or "re-release" and "ban" means "edition" or "version." So it implies that there can/may be differences between it and previous editions (as with books etc.).

I think we need to delineate the difference between a reissue and a replica. It seems to me that your idea of a "perfect" reissue is one that is a near-perfect replica. Just out of interest, would you consider reissues with overlengthed missiles and/or stripped chrome missiles to be reissues? Because I don't consider these reissues to be quite unsatisfactory and displeasing replicas.

All replicas are reissues, but some reissues are better replicas than others. Some reissues don't even attempt to be replicas and have intentional changes made to them - so they do fail as being classified as replicas, but they would still technically count as being reissues methinks.

So for example:
+ First Predaking reissue = replicant reissue
+ 2nd Predaking reissue = non-replicant reissue

Blade Runner'd! :p

You are loosing me a bit. What I was referring to was my view of what a reissue is within the context of collecting Transformers not what I consider to be 'perfect replica or not' nor what the dictionary says on the broad use of the term.

I actually don't really care how perfect or not a reuse of a vintage mold may be as long as it's 'good'. I would prefer a 'modified' reissue instead of the vintage if there are improvements for example but as long as it still tries to be a recreation of the original release.

To use a particular figure like Dinobot for example, I care not for the original 'pink' release. I prefer the 10th anniversary color scheme better despite it's flaws and much, much prefer the Telemocha release but I do not consider them as re-issues and more of better show accurate repaints which I prefer to the original.

This isn't a bias of what's a perfect recreation or what isn't and more of what I designate to be a reissue. As you say, reissues have variations and no re-issue is the same but I stop calling it that when a deliberate change has been made to make it considerably different to the original even if it's representing the same character. To me, that's a repaint.

In regards to re-tooled Hasbro 'reissues'. They are a grey line as they are intended to be reissues but modified to conform with contemporarary child safety standards as they were officially marketed to that demographic (I know..:rolleyes:). They are intended to be 'reissues' and created to be so despite the retooling and skimping on materials (chrome). They are more of inaccurate or retooled editions to me as if it wasn't for the forced child safety or budget cutting, they would have been made as accurate as possible to the original like Takara reissue counterparts. However this is a very different situation to say Ehobby Astrotrain or the repainted vintage BW mold repaints.

sideswipes brother
14th December 2011, 07:53 AM
I think the word 'perfect' in some cases may just be a throwaway term and not meant to be taken literally or measured against varying degrees of perfection. It's quite possible that when someone refers to a reissue as being perfect, they are just merely expressing their love / joy in owning a character that they have been longing for. This is the first time we've seen Devastator reissued in 18 years so I can understand why someone would be overjoyed (myself included :D)

This. When i made that comment i was just so pleased that i had a brand new Devs in my hand, and finally had one full stop, that i could have used any word to describe my pleasure and 'perfect' is what was typed at the time.

Of course its not 'perfect', my Scavengers feet keep popping off during transformation! But, im not the kind of person who is affected by something so small. Im just disappointed as to all the hate for this figure when i am over the moon about having a new one which displays beautifully!!!

kup
14th December 2011, 08:39 AM
I don't think there is hate for this figure. People are just observing and reporting it's defects which is a reasonable thing to do.

Overall people seem excited about it and I am happy it has actually been reissued!

5FDP
14th December 2011, 09:18 AM
This may be it's own topic, but does anyone know the reasons behind the 18 year wait for Devastator? We've all heard in the past that the mould may have been damaged beyond repair and the cost of rebuilding it was not an option.

The reason I ask is that most would know that many of the KO's produced actually used official moulds left behind when the factories were vacated by Takara.

I've heard a rumour that Takara reacquired some of these moulds, one of which was Devastator, and this was used to make reissue Devastator. This would also explain some of the reported QC issues because the mould was actually being used and would have suffered from the same degradation as the mould used for the Combaticons.

liegeprime
14th December 2011, 10:11 AM
This may be it's own topic, but does anyone know the reasons behind the 18 year wait for Devastator? We've all heard in the past that the mould may have been damaged beyond repair and the cost of rebuilding it was not an option.

The reason I ask is that most would know that many of the KO's produced actually used official moulds left behind when the factories were vacated by Takara.

I've heard a rumour that Takara reacquired some of these moulds, one of which was Devastator, and this was used to make reissue Devastator. This would also explain some of the reported QC issues because the mould was actually being used and would have suffered from the same degradation as the mould used for the Combaticons.

see if that were the case, wouldnt/ shouldnt they have run a few test figures first to see all the bugs then fix the faulty moulds? After all it isnt good business sense to release faulty merchandise :confused: but then QC is something that has been slipping nowadays ei in TakTom ever since the merger.... could be a lax in the managements "interference" with the production end...

GoktimusPrime
14th December 2011, 11:17 AM
AFAIK the mould was never lost/damaged. In 2000-2001 Takara got lots of requests for Devastator, but the KOs were already really popular and Takara released a statement saying that they did not want to reissue Devastator as they didn't want to compete with bootleggers. They never cited mould loss or damage as the reason for not reissuing it sooner.

5FDP
14th December 2011, 11:25 AM
AFAIK the mould was never lost/damaged.

http://transformers.wikia.com/wiki/Mold

Rumored lost molds:

Original Rattrap
Sunstreaker
G1 Constructicons

In 2000-2001 Takara got lots of requests for Devastator, but the KOs were already really popular and Takara released a statement saying that they did not want to reissue Devastator as they didn't want to compete with bootleggers. They never cited mould loss or damage as the reason for not reissuing it sooner.

I remember reading this somewhere as well but I have never a source specified, Takara or other.

GoktimusPrime
14th December 2011, 01:35 PM
I can't remember exactly, but I think I read it off a Japanese TF board about 10 years (Naito Naonori's Transformers Net??? Can't remember (either way that board has been defunct for years now)...

Anyway, TFwiki only says that it's rumoured as a lost mould... but the fact that TOMY have reissued Encore Devastator now should disprove that rumour - because Takara/TOMY have never reissued a toy from a completely lost/destroyed/damaged mould before. The most extensively damaged mould that had to be repaired for a reissue was Optimus Prime -- it's obvious from the reissue's body that it was cast from G2 Optimus Prime and not G1, but even Takara admitted that the moulds for the arms had been destroyed/lost and they had to spend truckloads (sic) of money to build new moulds for Convoy's arms. Takara said that it was a big expensive for them but they figured that it must have been worth it because Convoy/Optimus Prime is arguably the single most popular/iconic character in the TF franchise. And we've certainly seen HasTak milk that mould something chronic -- it would have to be the single most reissued Transformer toy out there! :eek:

I'd say that the existence of Encore Devastator probably disproves any theory/rumour that Takara had ever lost the Devastator mould. They may have lost parts of it -- like maybe the moulds for Scavenger's legs/feet?? But that would surprise me, considering how much Takara harped on about how much they shelled out to reconstruct Optimus Prime's arms, I'm surprised TOMY hasn't said boo about the cost of reconstructing the Constructicons. So odds are the mould was never lost ... at least not entirely.

5FDP
14th December 2011, 01:58 PM
Anyway, TFwiki only says that it's rumoured as a lost mould... but the fact that TOMY have reissued Encore Devastator now should disprove that rumour - because Takara/TOMY have never reissued a toy from a completely lost/destroyed/damaged mould before.

Which only adds further credence to the rumour as we have never seen Sunstreaker reissued either.

I'd say that the existence of Encore Devastator probably disproves any theory/rumour that Takara had ever lost the Devastator mould.

Possibly, but as I mentioned I heard that they (Takara/Tomy) recently reacquired the mould for Devastator from one of the KO makers who held the mould since the factory that manufactured them shut down explaining why we haven't seen a reissue in the last 18 years and why we haven't had any official confirmation explaining why.

liegeprime
14th December 2011, 05:00 PM
Isnt it amazing and also irritating, that, the KO makers CAN spend XXX amount of money so they can manufacture KOs of offical toys - i.e. Sunstreaker... and yet the official toy makers themselves couldnt be bothered or takes years just to do so for their OWN PRODUCT at that? what? do they have to save in pennies and dimes just to come out with the cash for the said lost moulds? Pretty lame excuse considering they ARE THE company who owns the offical toyline.:mad::mad::mad:

Hursticon
18th December 2011, 03:43 PM
I'm with Jinto on this one. The figures have to be made to more closely represent their show incarnations.

Hasbro were on drugs when they picked the colors of their 10th anniversary versions of the BW figures, but Takara got them basically spot on.

And bring on more of them I say! 15th Anniversary Scorponok, Terrorsaur Inferno, Rattrap and Airazor!!!

Hell yeah man! ;):cool:

I basically agree with everything these blokes have said, though I do rather like both the Reissue of Sixwing and 'Goldie' Predaking - I can't stand the blue eyes of the other G1 Reissues that had that done to them, it just really irks and annoys me; Yellow eyes or nothing IMO. ;):mad:

GoktimusPrime
25th March 2013, 07:49 PM
From the Fortress Maximus Appreciation thread (http://otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=15678&page=5):

With collectables, most people want the original. A re print of action comics one may be superior in every way but it's not an action one, you couldn't fairly say you own one. If it's what you want and the price is right, that's the main thing. People will continue to pay stupid money for original things (like me )
For me personally, if I want a toy I'll buy it from the shops while it's current rather than buying it off the secondary market at inflated prices. It's always been the way that I've collected Transformers... I don't see any reason to change my collecting habit.

Quality wise, ive had quite a few problems with reissues. Take Hoist for instance, he's stuck in vehicle mode permanently because his wrist sockets are too small to fit anything. Grapple feels brittle compared to my '85 Inferno.
And the list goes on...
Odd... I never had that issue with my reissue Hoist (did you consider bringing it back for a refund/exchange at the time?). He's pretty much the same quality as my G1 Hoist, except for the chromeless hook (I have the Hasbro reissue - the Takara reissue has a chromed hook, but is much rarer).

The vast majority of my reissues have been of top quality. The only issues I've experienced have been:
+ TFC Meister - the rear car windows drop low in vehicle mode. Hasbro later fixed this with their Commemorative Series reissue. Both reissues feature Jazz's G2 "sh!t-eating grin" face. This was corrected by TakaraTOMY in the Encore reissue.
+ Encore Bruticus - the mould has clearly been overused and wasn't repaired sufficiently for the Encore reissue.
+ Encore Devastator - mould appears to have deteriorated and again, insufficient restoration was done. Inferior plastic quality also added to making this set feel KOish. :(
Other than that, every reissue I've seen has been just as good or better than the original in terms of core quality. I'm not including "cosmetic" issues like chrome lackage or overlengthened missiles on some Hasbro reissues. I'm also not including some Hasbro reissues where the missile launchers have been rendered inoperable for child safety reasons. These are intentional design changes (even if they're not ideal - I personally can't stand it) rather than actual production flaws.

The reissue Fort isnt made to the exact specifications of the original. Most of the reissues aren't, be it screws that they use, assembly or paint apps etc. As close as they may appear to be, they're not the Real McCoy. i still collect reissues though to fill any gaps in my collection that i may not be able to afford otherwise.
Yeah, but let's face it -- the differences are pretty negligible and in no way affects the performance or quality of the toy itself. So a toy has a different copyright stamp... so what? What I first saw the Classic reissues come out in 1990, I thought they were the same as the original G1 toys but in new current style packaging. At that time (and young age) I didn't think to even look at the copyright stamp. And most of my friends whom I used to play TFs with in the 80s had decided to give up on Transformers and had gotten rid of their toys (either by selling off or giving away)... so I didn't even know any other collectors for me to go and make side by side comparisons with. It wasn't until 1998 that I started making comparisons and realised that they were actually reissues.

But so what? One of the first toys I compared was my Classic Prowl with someone else's G1 Prowl. The only real difference we spotted was the copyright stampage on the bottom of his feet. Other than that, the toys are the same as far as we could tell. I personally don't feel the compulsion to go hunt down an original G1 Prowl and pay a fortune for a variation of the same toy that I already own purely for the novelty that it's an original.

A person who doesn't currently own a Fortress Maximus but would like one has two choices:
+ Pay approx. $300 for a MISB reissue
+ Pay over $1000 for a loose original
...in short, paying an additional $700+ for the novelty of having an original. I don't mean for this to sound derisive or anything like that -- clearly for some people the novelty is a big deal and they're willing to shell out a lot more for it. I guess it all comes down to what's more important for the individual collector; some insist on owning an original and see reissues as "authorised duplicates" (for lack of a better term), whereas I just get what I like from the current market. :p