PDA

View Full Version : Getting Transformer Gifts

Jinto
14th December 2011, 12:24 PM
Who receives Transformers as gifts from their nearest and dearest at Christmas and birthdays?

My sister would always refuse, but this year she seems to be resigned to the fact that action figures aren't a phase, and she asked me if there were any I wanted from her. :D

crankcase76
14th December 2011, 12:28 PM
yer i do get them as well for birthday's and christmas. my wife is getting me the MP Rodimus for chrissy and the sister in-law is getting me the DoTM DVD for chrissy as well. double bonus for me this year....:D

griffin
14th December 2011, 12:48 PM
I think it would only be a problem if you are completist or a significant collector, and they end up getting you something you already have. As long as they are already accepting of that possibility, they would be happy to help exchange it for one you don't have.
But if you don't have too many, and since getting any Transformers toy for free offsets even the suckiest ones, just be sure that you emphasise that it has to be a (proper) convertible one, as there are a lot of gimmick figures out at the moment for the Movie line.
Last thing you want to do is have a look of disappointment on christmas day at their efforts, because they bought you a Speedstars minivehicle or a Gobot/Activator type kiddie figure.
Perhaps if they are willing, take them to a store (during a sale) and showing them the pegs or shelves (or packaging type) that they should aim for.
Hope you get something good out of it.

(a phase??? You're in it for life now... :p )

Jinto
14th December 2011, 01:12 PM
Last thing you want to do is have a look of disappointment on christmas day at their efforts, because they bought you a Speedstars minivehicle or a Gobot/Activator type kiddie figure.

Haha, I don't leave that kind of thing to chance :P.

(a phase??? You're in it for life now... :p )

"One. Of. Us.... One. Of. Us."

5FDP
14th December 2011, 01:21 PM
About 4 years ago my dad asked me what I would like for my b'day. He was on a trip to NY and wanted to come back with something for me. I asked him for a couple of Transformers from a shop called Toywiz (http://www.toywiz.com/) (for those not familiar, they have a decent range but they are damn expensive).

Dad came back with an eHobby Overcharge and TFC Inferno.

As it turns out, these would be the last Transformers I would ever receive from him and I cherish them as much as the first one I ever received - a G1 Sideswipe which my parents bought me for my 9th b'day. I'm now 36.

GoktimusPrime
14th December 2011, 01:22 PM
Yeah, some of my friends and family are too scared to get me TF gifts because they reckon I'll already have it, and sometimes it's true... I do. So what I do is -- I don't exchange or return it... I keep the spares. I keep them sealed. :) That way I can still appreciate the generous sentiment behind receiving a gift and I get to build a modest sealed collection without paying for it! :D

But even then a few of my friends still feel disappointed when I already have the toy, even when I assure them that I'm happy to receive it as I'll add it to my sealed collection. For my birthday one of my friends bought me two Transformers - just in case I had one. He got me DOTM Deluxe Jolt and Roadbuster. I already had Roadbuster, but didn't have Jolt! But he was still really hoping that I didn't have either one and I could see he was still pretty disappointed that he wasn't able to give me two gifts that I didn't already have.

liegeprime
14th December 2011, 05:10 PM
Nah I dont. Only because I doubt they'd know what i have and don't have... they live overseas heheheheh. The last time they saw my collection ( before it got migrated here) it was only 125 figures... and for some people who have only passing interest in TFs they'd only know the more famous ones (i.e. Optimus, Bumblebee etc.) So instead I get stuff I could use like shirts, perfume etc. I kinda prefer it that way though as Im already spending much on TFs on my I would usually buy for myself last coz the TFs came first hehehe:D Besides they also know I have too much already hehehe - but for me it's is never enough heheheh

My friend did ask me though coz he was getting me instead Tf merchandise just to be safe he wasn't doubling up - he got me a belt with decepticon buckle when I went for holidays back (Xmas time)

Sam
14th December 2011, 07:02 PM
Before I was married, I usually never get any Christmas gifts - my parents are not into the gift-giving tradition.

But we usually have a big extended family dinner (i.e. 'feast').

My wife buys me gifts - though that just usually means I buy what I want for Christmas.

Deonasis
14th December 2011, 07:21 PM
This year it has started. I have received V.Ironhide for fathers day and L.Sentinel Prime for xmas. I would not have bought either for myself but I am very happy with them. But I especially like the conversations a Transformer present brings as the subject is not often raised and I love talking about my hobby :D

UltraMarginal
15th December 2011, 05:22 PM
On occasion I do, My family and My wifes family are spread over several states, so leading up to Christmas we share a bit of a wish list around. sometimes I am lucky enough to get stuff from it.

this did backfire last year though, I specifically asked for the scout windcharger, knowing it was on special at K-mart and that there was a K-mart in my home town. I didn't buy it myself. Bit me in the arse when my hometown K-mart didn't get them in and then I got back to sydney and they were all sold out.

I eventually got one but it was only after seraching high and low for months.

The first Christmas we were married my wife bought me a cabinet with glass doors from IKEA as a display space. that was a nice gift.

Like others though, family tend to be a little shy of getting things like transformers, or comics just because it's so hard for them to keep track of what I have.:D

Seraphim Prime
20th December 2011, 02:01 AM
I used to get TFs as gifts before I got a job, and basically bought all the ones I wanted with my own money. I can remember birthdays and Christmasses (?) where I would create a list of the figures that I was particularly after at the time and/or all the ones I had already. After Cybertron though, I had enough money to buy all the figures myself.

Paulbot
20th December 2011, 12:40 PM
I'm sure many kids are getting TFs for gifts this year. Some of the store racks are emptying in the last days before Xmas and I've seen many a parent carrying TF toys in the past few weeks.

1orion2many
20th December 2011, 03:36 PM
:)I get them from my wife all the time. I find something I'm after, buy it then say "look what you bought me" :D

Prowl
20th December 2011, 04:27 PM
I don't think I would want to receive any to be honest.

Unless someone knew I was looking for X transformer I would be left deflated especially when they would go to effort to find one that is "cool".

JuzMel
20th December 2011, 04:53 PM
*sigh* the hubby refuses to buy me any TFs or LEGO! Mum entertains me sometimes by getting me TF stuff but not toys. They are like key chains, stickers or iron-ons etc.

I got Bro (Icy) some TFs for Xmas but I did call him and ask him instead, cause I didn't wanna get something he already has! But I was quite sure he didn't have the DOTM key chain and some choco puzzle from here. :p

GL-Sideswipe
23rd December 2011, 07:42 PM
My family doubt themselves in buying things that I will actually want, they think they will buy something I'm not interested in and I feel they would do it as well. Now they just give me money and I go out and buy what comics and figures I want. This is the first year I've done this (mind you I wasn't interested in comics and figures before this year) although if someone was to buy me a transformer I would be ecstatic regardless what figure since it would be further expanding my collection :)

VERT
23rd December 2011, 10:22 PM
Well im having my family Annual Gift tree day thing tomorrow! And I know my Lovely wife has a Shattered Glass Prime and Diaclone Swoop all wrapped up under the tree. :D :D

Its always hard this time of year. I just tend to get it all for myself. The only chance my wife has is getting odd TFs online.

Arcee
24th December 2011, 12:37 PM
Cat has got me a whole range of TF books: 3 big volumes of IDW collections, and the long wanted Exodus. Plus a single trade and a Kreo that wasn't technically for Xmas but ended up for Xmas. My luggage will overweight for sure.

And for Xmas I got him...stuff that's non TF related...:o:o

liegeprime
24th December 2011, 03:02 PM
Well, my family is spending holidays here in Aus for the first time. My mom bought me a TF shirt (official licensed) :D since she knows I have quite a lot already so that breaks the record of me not receiving TF for gifts hehehe.

Deonasis
25th December 2011, 01:37 AM
Yesterday I received a big Ikea present.. yep, a Detolf. Now some of my prized figures (and my hobby) can remain out for all to see.

Mental note: Must get more prized figures :D

Decepticon
25th December 2011, 07:23 AM
I just buy whatever I want whenever. My family are a bunch of tight a&$$&!

Cat
25th December 2011, 09:16 PM
Cat has got me a whole range of TF books: 3 big volumes of IDW collections, and the long wanted Exodus. Plus a single trade and a Kreo that wasn't technically for Xmas but ended up for Xmas. My luggage will overweight for sure.

And for Xmas I got him...stuff that's non TF related...:o:o

She also got a Transformers case for her Iphone, but I guess that wasn't techincally part of her Xmas present.