PDA

View Full Version : IDW's Dead Universe? And where should I start, to catch up? (spoilers)

Verno
23rd December 2011, 08:29 PM
Can someone fill me in on The Dead Universe, Galvatron and The Darkness without simply pointing me to TfWiki, that place is no help.

Paulbot
23rd December 2011, 08:56 PM
Can someone fill me in on The Dead Universe, Galvatron and The Darkness without simply pointing me to TfWiki, that place is no help.

What's on the Wiki is pretty much it. There's another universe were everything is dead, and a group of Transformers, including Galvatron (older than Megatron, no relation), went there and got twisted by being there and became evil. You die or go evil. (Or wear a Pretender Shell as armour to stay alive for a short period.) D'Void, IDW's equivalent of Unicron, seems to be the cause, an anti-life presence that consumed all 'life energy' in the universe, and then tried, during the Chaos story, to break through and consume the IDW universe too.

Verno
23rd December 2011, 09:09 PM
What's on the Wiki is pretty much it. There's another universe were everything is dead, and a group of Transformers, including Galvatron (older than Megatron, no relation), went there and got twisted by being there and became evil. You die or go evil. (Or wear a Pretender Shell as armour to stay alive for a short period.) D'Void, IDW's equivalent of Unicron, seems to be the cause, an anti-life presence that consumed all 'life energy' in the universe, and then tried, during the Chaos story, to break through and consume the IDW universe too.

So the Galvatron in there is different to the one that Unicron turned Megs into in TF:TM?

Paulbot
23rd December 2011, 09:21 PM
So the Galvatron in there is different to the one that Unicron turned Megs into in TF:TM?

Yes. In the IDW universe Galvatron, Scourge and Cyclonus are older Transformers (older than the regular cast) and never had anything to do with Unicron. The events of TF:TM (and the rest of the cartoon) have not and can not occur in the IDW Universe.

Verno
23rd December 2011, 09:26 PM
Yes. In the IDW universe Galvatron, Scourge and Cyclonus are older Transformers (older than the regular cast) and never had anything to do with Unicron. The events of TF:TM (and the rest of the cartoon) have not and can not occur in the IDW Universe.

The beauty of starting all over again huh?

Do you think this D-Void will end up being some kind of manifestation of Unicron that IDW is saving up for later? Or something else?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks for the info Paulbot, I'm thinking of playing catch-up with the IDW universe (I know I'm a long way behind)

Paulbot
23rd December 2011, 09:34 PM

Do you think this D-Void will end up being some kind of manifestation of Unicron that IDW is saving up for later? Or something else?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks for the info Paulbot, I'm thinking of playing catch-up with the IDW universe (I know I'm a long way behind)

D-Void fills the role of Unicron, god that want's to destroy everything, for the IDW stories. After Heart of Darkness mini-series it looked like they were going to make it more explicit but it didn't happen.

They could still get away with Unicron appearing eventually next time they want a big epic story (likely to be a later crossover between the two new books if I was to bet).

Verno
23rd December 2011, 09:51 PM
Would you recommend getting the issues like Transformers IDW Collection 1 (https://shop.idwpublishing.com/transformers-the-idw-collection-vol-1.html) to get up to date?

Paulbot
23rd December 2011, 09:57 PM
If you want to read all the IDW comics, then yes that series would be the way to go, but you could also start with "#125" and just read the new ongoing series.

Also, if you don't need a physical copy, back issues are really cheap on ComiXology, $2 per issue, which is a cheaper way than buying the comics and you can pick and choose and skip things like Spotlight Cliffjumper and Spotlight Mirage that don't have importance to the overall story.

Paulbot
23rd December 2011, 10:09 PM
I should add you don't need to catch up either. IDW stories are self contained and (Drift toy aside) unlikely to have much influence on the rest of the broader TF univers, since the Prime cartoon and toy series are the main thing now.

Verno
23rd December 2011, 10:09 PM
Where does the IDW universe start? All Hail Megs?

Golden Phoenix
23rd December 2011, 11:44 PM
Where does the IDW universe start? All Hail Megs?

Infiltration was the start. But it happens at the same time as Stormbringer

Paulbot
23rd December 2011, 11:50 PM
All Hail Megatron was "New Start #2".

Cat
24th December 2011, 12:07 AM
Infiltration was the start. But it happens at the same time as Stormbringer

Kinda sorta, if you want to get technical (indulge me).

The end of Stormbringer happens, then slots in around Infiltration #4 (I think it's four).

I'd definitely read Infiltration first, but YMMV.

And the IDW Collections are the best way to get started. Over-sized, better value than collecting the individual trades by themselves.

Five volumes are out to date (the latest came about two weeks ago, and should be instock at DM places like Amazon very shortly, if not already).

They're also much wieldier to read than the Premier Editions. There were two of those, and while they cover what I consider to be the best material (besides Last Stand Of The Wreckers), they are simply too big to really read comfortably in bed, and definitely not something you'd want to drag around in public.

If you don't want to read the 'old' stuff, then starting next month, I'd recommend picking up either/both of the two new ongoing series: 'Robots In Disguise' and 'More Than Meets The Eye'. Both start fresh with issue ones next month. Different casts, different objectives. You may find you prefer one to the other, or are interested in both.

Either way, they're perfect for someone looking to start fresh, and not wanting to delve into the past IDW material.

Cat
24th December 2011, 12:11 AM

Honestly, answering that fully would probably be a bad idea without spoiler tags, as a lot of board members who read these in trade only aren't up to date with this storyline (it's volume 6 of the Ongoing, and volume 5 just came out fairly recently).

May be best to start a new thread elsewhere, explicitly marked as containing spoiler material, just for the courtesy of others.

griffin
24th December 2011, 12:46 AM
There you go, now it's its own topic, so spoil away.

(any question in the random questions topic that generates this much interest will usually be branched off into its own topic)

Verno
24th December 2011, 09:05 AM
Wow, I go to bed and my little questions get their own thread! It must be Christmas!

Would people recommend reading the IDW back catalogue? I'm assuming the stuff is good.

As most of you are probably aware, I've only ever been interested in BW, but as that won't see the light of day again in any official media, I figured I should branch out! and the comics seemed the most likely place. (Prime TV doesn't interest me, I watched the first few eps and wasn't hooked)

Verno
24th December 2011, 12:09 PM
Oh, and would people recommend going right back to the Dreamwave stuff?

i_amtrunks
24th December 2011, 02:02 PM
Infiltration #0 is the starting point. Personally I found the Furman written material was the best stuff IDW had released (other than LSotW and a few select issues like Spotlight Kup).

AHM was a soft reboot that ignored more or less everything that Furman had written, but the ongoing tried to tie some of the older stuff (including dead universe characters like Arcee, Hardhead etc) back onto the stor before the last 10 or so issues (including the Chaos "mini") really brought the Furmanverse stuff back to the fore by uniting it with the Chaos crossover.

Paulbot has given you all the good info, I recommend reading the "-tion" books (particularily Revelations), Spotlights Nightbeat, Galvatron, Arcee, to a lesser extent Spotlight Prime, then the ongoing from #119 on. Sure there are more issues but dont come to mind right now.

Oh, and would people recommend going right back to the Dreamwave stuff?

DW does not flow into the IDW stories so are not needed for the IDW run which exists in its own universe and hass no ties to any other tf lore.

Verno
24th December 2011, 02:26 PM
Cheers Trunks. I'm out of my depth so any pointers from knowledgable fans is handy.

i_amtrunks
24th December 2011, 09:43 PM
Cheers Trunks. I'm out of my depth so any pointers from knowledgable fans is handy.

In all honesty I'd get #125 and start from Jan 2012. Play catch up when you can afford it, starting with Last stand of the Wreckers and the Spotlight Collections (particularily Collections #1, #2 and #3) only the Ramjet and Mirage ones are worthless entries.

From there collect: Infiltration, Escalation, Devestation, Revelation (collection of spotlights) then decide if you want to continue with Maximum Dinobots and then AHM and the ongoing. The final ongoing collection #7 would also be worth getting. Stormbringer is also a decent story to collect.

Hope that helps, it certainly wont help your bank account. Hopefully bookdepository has them in stock, that will save you a packet.

Verno
24th December 2011, 10:54 PM
Cheers again Trunks.

Yes I was going to ask where people might recommend I track them down. ComiXology has been mentioned earlier and now book depository, are they the best (cheapest) bets?

i_amtrunks
24th December 2011, 11:15 PM
With the $Au being stronger against the $US than the Pound, bookdepository is the cheapest bet, but they dont always have all the issues in stock.

For example Last Stand of the Wreckers (http://www.bookdepository.com/Transformers-Last-Stand-Wreckers-Nick-Roche/9781600107160) is out of stock, as is Spotlight #1 (http://www.bookdepository.com/Transformers-Spotlight-v-1-Simon-Furman/9781600100680) and Stormbringer (http://www.bookdepository.com/Transformers-Stormbringer-Simon-Furman/9781600100185).
However:
Infiltration (http://www.bookdepository.com/Transformers-Infiltration-Simon-Furman/9781600100109)
Escalation (http://www.bookdepository.com/Transformers-Escalation-Simon-Furman/9781600100840)
Devestation (http://www.bookdepository.com/Transformers-Devastation-Simon-Furman/9781600101687)
Revelation (http://www.bookdepository.com/Transformers-Spotlight-Revelations-v-4-Simon-Furman/9781600104213)
Spotlight #2 (http://www.bookdepository.com/Transformers-Spotlight-v-2-Simon-Furman/9781600101540)
Spotlight #3 (http://www.bookdepository.com/Transformers-Spotlight-v-3-Simon-Furman/9781600102455)
Maximum Dinobots (http://www.bookdepository.com/Transformers-Maximum-Dinobots-Simon-Furman/9781600104787)
are all in stock for around $20 a piece, and you may find the sngle issues for the others at comixology or elsewhere.

Or you could try and kill mutliple birds with one stone: Hardcover Premiere Edition #2 (http://www.bookdepository.com/Transformers-Premiere-Edition-v-2-Simon-Furman/9781600104374) collects Devestation, Revelation and the Spotlights 2 and 3 collections for about $93 in hardcover. Seems that Volume 1 is out of stock.

Goodluck!

Cat
24th December 2011, 11:57 PM
I differ from IAmTrunks, in that I'd recommend the 'IDW Collection' hardcovers over the Premier Editions. (Sidenote: Did I already post this here, or was that somewhere else? Please excuse me if I've doubled up)

Better value than the trades, easier to read than the Premier Editions. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my Premier Editions, but when I want to read them, I grab the IDW Collection hardcovers over the Prem Editions or the trades/singles etc.

Larger print, hardcover, works out cheaper than buying individual trades.

'Last Stand Of The Wreckers' is also getting a hardcover edition soon, which I believe will have all the extras, including the material that wasn't included in the tpb, but was in the single issues, so it's the most complete version, if you care for that.

Verno
25th December 2011, 09:03 AM
Those 'IDW Collection' books look like the way to go.

Why have I never heard of this Book Depository place before?! Looks pretty good.

Cat
25th December 2011, 04:12 PM
Those 'IDW Collection' books look like the way to go.

Why have I never heard of this Book Depository place before?! Looks pretty good.

I've never used it myself, but my sister uses it for almost all book purchases, so she's obviously happy with them, I'd assume.

EDIT: And if you're frugal and check your prices online, you should be able to pick up the first 3 volumes of the IDW Collection for under $120.

I was able to get them for slightly more than that the other week, for part of Arcee's Xmas present. The only reason it cost me slightly more was to ensure they got here in time for Xmas, otherwise I could have probably got them all for closer to $100.

Arcee
25th December 2011, 07:20 PM

According to UltraMarginal apparently Book Depository is fast and cheap, but very careless in the way of their packing, so has damaged several of his orders, but they do have a decent customer service as they refunded (or exchanged, I can't remember) his damaged books.

Paulbot
25th December 2011, 10:03 PM
I have ordered scores of comic trades from Bookdepository (seriously near 100 now) and have no complaints. I may have some minor corner creases among those but nothing worth complaining about when I get the book for half the price I could buy it in store and pay only $0 postage.

Ode to a Grasshopper
26th December 2011, 02:28 AM
Not that they aren't worth having and all, but since you're a fellow Tasmanian @ Verno the State library system has a fair few of the IDW collections if you want to try before you buy.:)

i_amtrunks
26th December 2011, 10:57 AM
I differ from IAmTrunks, in that I'd recommend the 'IDW Collection' hardcovers over the Premier Editions.

Completely forgot about their existance, thanks for the heads up!

Verno
27th December 2011, 10:52 AM
I got a free copy of Spotlight: Shockwave when I downloaded the Transformers app from IDW, and I have a question.

We see Shockwave seeding (what turns out to be) Earth with (what I assume is this miraculous) Ore-13.

However, would Earth not already be seeded with Energon by the Vok? Or is IDW not moving towards a Beast Wars future?

Or perhaps they're moving towards a different BW future, one devoid (no pun intended) of the Vok, where BW Megatron goes back in time to get the raw Energon from Earth which everyone knows is there.

Paulbot
27th December 2011, 11:17 AM
No Beast Wars in IDW. You know that famous reveal at the end of Beast Wars series 2? Can't happen in the IDW Universe as that crash never happened in IDW.

Instead the Spotlight comic is based on Marvel's origin for Shockwave and the Dinobots with a few Beast Wars touches added (Earth seeded with Energon, CR chambers, the need for the Grimlock and co to wrap themselves in organic beast modes to avoid statis lock).

The G1 Transformers in IDW are on Earth because of the Energon that was planted here by Shockwave. It drives the plot of the first 18 issues or so.

They could do a new take in which case your idea might work but it's unlikely IDW will do anything but make more comics set in the original BW cartoon continuity.

Verno
27th December 2011, 12:12 PM
No Ark? Heavens, they have given the G1-verse a reboot haven't they.

More comics in the BW cartoon continuity? Yes please. But I'm sure IDW have better things to be doing with their time, 2012 will be a busy year for them.

Golden Phoenix
27th December 2011, 01:20 PM
No Ark? Heavens, they have given the G1-verse a reboot haven't they.

Well there is still the Ark.....just multiple Arks....

The first Ark was the ship that Nova Prime and Galvatron took to explore the Dead Universe.

The Autobots also have lots of ships called the Ark in their fleet. They just have a number after it. I think Ark-17 was the ship that rescued Kup

Verno
27th December 2011, 03:23 PM
These IDW people seem to be enjoying rewriting the G1 story from the start, and doing it in terms that reference previously written fiction, but twisting it to their own designs.

I guess that was the only way to avoid being hamstrung by that which has come before, by working outside of established canons, yet still being recognizable as G1.

GoktimusPrime
27th December 2011, 10:51 PM
Yeah, it's their own new continuity... but even then they still managed to screw things up... *cough*AHM*cough*

Cat
27th December 2011, 11:47 PM
These IDW people seem to be enjoying rewriting the G1 story from the start, and doing it in terms that reference previously written fiction, but twisting it to their own designs.

I guess that was the only way to avoid being hamstrung by that which has come before, by working outside of established canons, yet still being recognizable as G1.

I wouldn't really say they're trying rewrite G1.

Sure, AHM is an exception, but it's certainly the exception, rather than the norm.

They've definitely added a lot to it. Some bits you may like, some you may dislike. I personally loved the more set Autobot command structure that existed in the -Ations. That got abandoned for AHM and beyond, but I thought it was a very logical way for a large army to act, and much better than what we'd seen previously. Same with the 6-stage Decepticon strategy, the way Autobots were assigned, etc etc.

Are you familiar with Marvel Comics Ultimate imprint at all? I'd say that's more what they've done (again, especially during the -Ations).

Seraphim Prime
28th December 2011, 12:13 PM

Simon Furman was brought in to set the universe up, and pilot the first few years of stories, and basically his remit from IDW was, "Clean slate. What would happen if you started writing Transformers in 2005?" And Infiltration was his answer - Cybertron is a burned out husk and stores of true Energon are depleted, with a war of attrition being played out across various worlds with small Decepticon Infilitration teams trying strip down the planets for resources, and small Autobot teams fighting to stop them, all coordinated by Optimus from his Orbital Command Hub, and fought according to intergalactic accords and conventions. Optimus only gets involved on Earth due to the discovery of Ore-13 - Shockwave's only (known) successful attempt to create new Energon by seeding various different planets - basically turning Earth into the most import planet, resource wide, in the universe.

Hursticon
28th December 2011, 02:04 PM
Simon Furman was brought in to set the universe up, and pilot the first few years of stories, and basically his remit from IDW was, "Clean slate. What would happen if you started writing Transformers in 2005?" And Infiltration was his answer - Cybertron is a burned out husk and stores of true Energon are depleted, with a war of attrition being played out across various worlds with small Decepticon Infilitration teams trying strip down the planets for resources, and small Autobot teams fighting to stop them, all coordinated by Optimus from his Orbital Command Hub, and fought according to intergalactic accords and conventions. Optimus only gets involved on Earth due to the discovery of Ore-13 - Shockwave's only (known) successful attempt to create new Energon by seeding various different planets - basically turning Earth into the most import planet, resource wide, in the universe.

Now this sounds quite excellent, so why was Furman taken away from the helm? :confused:

Paulbot
28th December 2011, 02:13 PM
Now this sounds quite excellent, so why was Furman taken away from the helm? :confused:

Here's what AHM's author had to say on this board about it...

I was brought in by IDW because they were looking for a new take on the franchise/continuity as sales on the book were dropping to an all time low. This doesn't mean that what was out there was bad, it just meant that for whatever reason it wasn't catching people's interest and IDW wanted something that would.

Hursticon
28th December 2011, 02:25 PM

Hmm... See, this seems baffling to me as all I ever seem to hear/read is that the Furman IDW stuff was a far and away more coherent narrative and quite a bit better received, at least compared to what came after... :confused:
Oh well, we'll just have to see how they go from the upcoming re-re-reboot eh? :p

Cheers for the clarification Paulbot. ;):)

Paulbot
28th December 2011, 02:29 PM
Hmm... See, this seems baffling to me as all I ever seem to hear/read is that the Furman IDW stuff was a far and away more coherent narrative and quite a bit better received, at least compared to what came after... :confused:
It was but the story made sense if you had read every single issue and all the spotlights and Stormbringer. Makes a good story as a whole but inaccessible to new readers. It was very hard to come in to late since the set up was different to what people were used to.

So All Hail Megatron came along and G1 cartoon'd the universe a bit.

Then the new ongoing became a mix of both.

Cat
28th December 2011, 06:21 PM

Which was later stated by editor Andy Schmidt to be false.

Verno
28th December 2011, 06:36 PM
Oh well, we'll just have to see how they go from the upcoming re-re-reboot eh? :p

Yes, this re-reboot puzzles me.

Had the IDW universe that began with the "-tions" run its course? What has brought about the change?

Paulbot
28th December 2011, 07:07 PM
No the universe is exactly the same. All that's changed is, spoilers obviously, the war is over. So what do the Autobots do now the war is over? One book is about them resettling Cybertron, the other book is about a group looking to find a way to reboot the Matrix (not exactly but it s a quest).

Verno
28th December 2011, 08:49 PM
No the universe is exactly the same. All that's changed is, spoilers obviously, the war is over. So what do the Autobots do now the war is over? One book is about them resettling Cybertron, the other book is about a group looking to find a way to reboot the Matrix (not exactly but it s a quest).

Ohh, then this use of the term reboot has thrown me. Damn you Hursty! :p

Seraphim Prime
31st December 2011, 02:53 AM
Yeah, it's more like a soft reboot, like AHM was, followed by Ongoing, now the new series.

I loved Furman's -tion series, however it was a slow build with only 1 six-issue series a year (from memory) which by the end became quite convoluted, requiring an understanding of all that had come previously. Slow pace + significant backstory = hard sell to new readers. At a similar time, Shane McCarthy was talking about this idea that he had for a one-off, a sort of "what if the Decepticons win the war?". IDW decided that this would become a new launch point for new readers. However it alienated some of the fans of Furman's work as it appeared to pretty much ignore the entire foundations that Furman had set. Later issues tied them better together, but the damage was done. Similar issue with the ongoing comic.

However, I have hopes for these new series, because it appears that in James Roberts and John Barber IDW have chosen writers who are interested in telling compelling Transformers stories, rather than just interesting stories with Transformers in them.

Sorry, this is a bit of a side track. Short answer is read the -ation series, plus Spotlight collections. Easily some of the best Transformers comic fiction written. Particularly the Spotloght issues, due to their (largely) self-contained nature.

GoktimusPrime
31st December 2011, 09:39 AM
At a similar time, Shane McCarthy was talking about this idea that he had for a one-off, a sort of "what if the Decepticons win the war?". IDW decided that this would become a new launch point for new readers. However it alienated some of the fans of Furman's work as it appeared to pretty much ignore the entire foundations that Furman had set. Later issues tied them better together, but the damage was done. Similar issue with the ongoing comic.

Yeah, when I questioned McCarthy about the continuity issues in his stories, he only justified it by saying that it was what IDW told him to do and that it boosted sales figures of comics. i.e. it was an entirely commercial/business decision... (-_-) Marketing over art? You decide.

i_amtrunks
31st December 2011, 12:15 PM
Yeah, when I questioned McCarthy about the continuity issues in his stories, he only justified it by saying that it was what IDW told him to do and that it boosted sales figures of comics. i.e. it was an entirely commercial/business decision... (-_-) Marketing over art? You decide.

Yeah those sales were great for all of an issue or two. Before AHM hit double figures their sales were already below the "-tion" books. Then the CODA books had to be released to try and link the series together. Looks like IDW have learnt from their mistakes with the new writing teams.

Sky Shadow
31st December 2011, 10:55 PM
Did anyone else listen to the podcast where Mike Costa said that Transformers were just "things" with "no character" that are "silly" and "not looked upon favourably... in the comic book community". And that there are only "a hundred active" Transformers fans on all the internet and that we are all unpleasant, arrogant and hostile and don't know what we want.

Ironically, I'm pretty sure we do know what we want, and fortunately we should finally be getting it from James Roberts and Nick Roche. And I'm pretty sure we're a lot less hostile when people actually write comics that are good and we don't have to waste two years of Transformers comics on a writer who doesn't even want to be doing it.

Cat
4th January 2012, 03:14 AM
Yeah those sales were great for all of an issue or two. Before AHM hit double figures their sales were already below the "-tion" books. Then the CODA books had to be released to try and link the series together. Looks like IDW have learnt from their mistakes with the new writing teams.

Not even that.

Andy Schmidt confirmed what many had suspected/been privately told: that sales weren't as McCarthy and co had made out they were.

I can't remember the exact wording.

Verno
4th January 2012, 11:39 AM
Ok, so I got hold of the IDW Collection 1 and All Hail Megatron volume 3, so my introduction to the IDW world has officially begun. (I was house-sitting for a mate in Launceston, so instead of looking after his dog, I read his comics :p)

I have to say I'm impressed thus far. Only a few complaints though.

Is it just me or is the art for Megatron Origins a touch messy and confusing?

I didn't enjoy SL: Cliffjumper. I feel I missed something or needed more of his backstory (ironically) to understand the full scope of the story.

Infiltration was ok, but please tell me the humans p!ss off as the '-tion' series goes on. I hate humans in TF stories, they're unnecessary. Comics, tv, movies, doesn't matter - get rid of them.

But the art for the most part is just spectacular. And the stories are strong.

Paulbot
4th January 2012, 12:22 PM

It's not just you (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=697). That page with Grapple and Inferno and the crashing ship still boggles me.

I didn't enjoy SL: Cliffjumper. I feel I missed something or needed more of his backstory (ironically) to understand the full scope of the story.
He didn't have any other backstory, that issue was it. It's one of the Spotlight issues that doesn't have much purpose or contribution to the overall story.

Infiltration was ok, but please tell me the humans p!ss off as the '-tion' series goes on. I hate humans in TF stories, they're unnecessary. Comics, tv, movies, doesn't matter - get rid of them.

Nope, the humans are around for the whole run of -tion stories. They are most prominent in the first few issues, and they become less of a focus as the stories go on but they are still important to the plots. There are few IDW stories that don't include humans.

Seraphim Prime
4th January 2012, 12:32 PM

It's not just you. Art was very gritty, for sake fo storytelling, but lacked the polish we were getting with EJ Su. Again, certain things that happen within the story (like the female TFs in crowd scenes) are a case of IDWs writers not talking to each other/editors not doing job properly.

What was in its favour initially, but hurts it now that the concept has been used again and again, was that it was the first time we saw Megatron as a lowly slave worker, witnessing first hand the corruption in the system, and deciding that drastic action needed to be taken. What hurt it was we didn't really get to see the evolution of an idea - why does he decide to go from a simple uprising to global devastation.

It's one of the true stand alone stories of the IDW SL series, however yes, I also found it was missing a certain je n'ai sais qua...

Humans stay through to Devastation, though their roles are somewhat reduced. Prime basically tries to get rid of them at the beginning of Expansion, but is prevented from doing so for certain reasons. (Vague because of spoilers). Reading Infiltration/Escalation you do get a sense of the argument that humans provide you with scale of story. I found that, having focused on human-level story telling for a few issues, the minute we see the Transformers in full robot-mode we got a good sense of scale and escalation in story telling, and first sense that this just got real.

But the art for the most part is just spectacular. And the stories are strong.

EJ SU was spectacular with his art. The bonus features in the TPB just went to show how interested he was in nutting down the various mechanics of TF construction, and that shows in his art work. It's a shame we haven't seen any of him since finishing off with Revalation.

Cat
4th January 2012, 04:10 PM
Since Revelation, EJ's pencilled SL:Jazz, an issue of the Ongoing (issue 7 I think?), and SL:Prowl. He also did some of the pages for AHM.

His style HAS changed a fair bit since Revelation though. He seems to have been going for a Mike Mignola style. YMMV on that.

Megatron Origin was never really that well received. It was also originally supposed to be 6 issues, not 4. I'm pretty sure it was originally pitched to Dreamwave.

It also had a pretty bad problem with the colouring. It was WAY too dark and murky for the single issues. This was somewhat fixed for the subsequent tpb release. It was also back when Milne didn't use much variation in his line-weight, so foreground characters and backgrounds all melted into one mess of a panel, further obscuring detail and making it a chore to comprehend.

Honestly, the 2 recent flashback Ongoing issues did their background way better than M:O did (22 and 23, I think it was?).

So it's far from just you on this one. It was a mess all round, really.

GoktimusPrime
4th January 2012, 08:43 PM
I liked Megatron Origin. :) Although not a big fan of the way Milnesie draws mouths... you know, like when someone's grabbed your cheeks and stretched them out sideways... a lot of his Transformers' faces look like that... (-_-)

Cat
5th January 2012, 01:26 AM
Yeah, I absolutely know what you're talking about there.

To be honest, I think he used to be awful. Lack of lineweight was a deathblow on clarity of his work.

BUT in the last year or so, he's REALLY stepped up his game. His work lately has been pretty impressive. It's like he's finally realised his potential (cleansed the spirit of Pat Lee?).

GoktimusPrime
5th January 2012, 09:49 AM
BUT in the last year or so, he's REALLY stepped up his game. His work lately has been pretty impressive. It's like he's finally realised his potential (cleansed the spirit of Pat Lee?).

+1 :)

Verno
5th January 2012, 11:40 AM
Well I'm glad it wasn't just me then. I mean I can understand artistic interpretation and stylings, but when it comes at the detriment of the comic on the whole then it should be picked up on by the editor or by preview readings.

I know when BW: Gathering came out and looking at the different covers, I wasn't a fan of the cover of Magmatron by Nick Roche (I think). I liked the clear, concise models of Don. But having seen more of Nick's work, it's obvious he was simply trying something different in that cover, but is more than capable of drawing the wonderful models I like.

i_amtrunks
5th January 2012, 05:28 PM
Megatron Origins was not well recieved due to issues regarding the art and pacing, but as has been alluded to, the fact that it did not flow oor meld into the TF lore/backhistory that had been established in Furman's stories.

It was a constant issue IDW had throughout most of it's ownership of the tf license that the editors never really tried to keep things in check, letting whoever was writing write whatever they wanted.

Also why we got such weak spotlights like Cliffjumper, Mirage and Ramjet (not to mention a terrible spotlight Prowl that while in universe made no sense from a character perspective.)

Cat
6th January 2012, 01:45 AM
Megatron Origins was not well recieved due to issues regarding the art and pacing, but as has been alluded to, the fact that it did not flow oor meld into the TF lore/backhistory that had been established in Furman's stories.

It was a constant issue IDW had throughout most of it's ownership of the tf license that the editors never really tried to keep things in check, letting whoever was writing write whatever they wanted.

Also why we got such weak spotlights like Cliffjumper, Mirage and Ramjet (not to mention a terrible spotlight Prowl that while in universe made no sense from a character perspective.)

Even worse considering that SL:Prowl was meant to explain why Prowl acted so out of character in Ongoing #1, and was supposed to be a regular issue. They only published it as a Spotlight to try and quell the fanbase complaints. It didn't work.

Verno
6th January 2012, 11:28 AM
So we have the 2 upcoming on-going series' to take TF into the future, and Furman seems to be a writer that does so with a grand plan in mind.

So the question is, where is the story going? Is there an intended 'end' for this universe? Or is it 'on-going' for a reason?

I realize this is only guessing at best, but it's fun to theorize.

Paulbot
6th January 2012, 12:13 PM
So we have the 2 upcoming on-going series' to take TF into the future, and Furman seems to be a writer that does so with a grand plan in mind.

So the question is, where is the story going? Is there an intended 'end' for this universe? Or is it 'on-going' for a reason?

I realize this is only guessing at best, but it's fun to theorize.

Furman's not involved with the current direction of the two new ongoings, but I do think the writers have some long terms plans for the books.

Pure speculation: I would guess that the two series will be leading towards a crossover event maybe two down the track at which point Rodimus' crew will find/be found by the IDW version of the Quintessons, and find out that some of the returned robots on Cybertron under Bumblebee's watch are Quintesson agents who want to retake the planet.

Revealed, the Quintessons will attack in force, and with so many non-combatants, the Decepticons will have to be let off the leash to deal with them and Megatron will return in glory to take advantage of the situation.

And then things might go back to a more traditional approach because sales are dropping and a new #1 might help boost things, or at the very least one ongoing will be dropped and the remaining title might go to twice-a-month publishing.

i_amtrunks
6th January 2012, 02:14 PM
Furman's not involved with the current direction of the two new ongoings, but I do think the writers have some long terms plans for the books.

Pure speculation: -snip-

I'd be surprised if anything you have written turns out far from wrong.

Barring soft reboots, or complete reshufling of creative and editing teams... :rolleyes:

Verno
6th January 2012, 03:45 PM
Sounds good to me. IDW have shown they're good at recycling previous TF ideas in new ways, so the Quints are a likely candidate.

Have they come into IDW-verse up to this point? And is Primus mentioned at all?

i_amtrunks
6th January 2012, 03:49 PM
Have they come into IDW-verse up to this point? And is Primus mentioned at all?

Yes the Quints were alluded to in Spotlight Wheelie. It was meant to be an easter egg of sorts, but seems like now it could be a very clever foreshadowing.

Primus gets a mention here and there throughout. He is referenced as a "god" one that the populace either believes in or thinks of as a myth.

Verno
10th January 2012, 06:52 PM
So, the Matrix is now empty, right? Missing something round to go in the shell, right?

And Rodimus is in possession of the magic 8-ball Mahnificence thing?

Do you see where I'm going with this?

i_amtrunks
11th January 2012, 06:07 PM
So, the Matrix is now empty, right? Missing something round to go in the shell, right?

And Rodimus is in possession of the magic 8-ball Mahnificence thing?

Do you see where I'm going with this?

I think there were plans for the magnificence dowah-hicky to have a price for it's usage and there were many a good theory about Rodimus hiding it.

It was far too conveniant, so hopefully it is exlained away and not forgotten about/ignored.

Verno
11th January 2012, 06:12 PM
Well I'm thinking they stick it in the Matrix shell and make a new Matrix.

GoktimusPrime
11th January 2012, 10:11 PM
...or they could stick a free toy in it. That'd be cool.