PDA

View Full Version : BotCon brochure released. Details of the 2012 BotCon box set

Paulbot
25th December 2011, 03:05 PM
To celebrate Xmas BotCon have shared a link to the brochure on Twitter
http://www.botcon.com/BotCon2012/BotCon12brochure.pdf

BotCon boxed set exclusives:

This year, the concept is being taken to a whole new level! At BotCon 2012, two universes will collide as the war criminal, Ultra Magnus, and his crew of Evil Autobots crosses over from the Shattered Glass universe into the Classicverse, fighting Heroic Autobots, Evil Decepticons and anyone else who dares to stand in their way! Autobot versus Autobot, Decepticon versus Decepticon... Get ready for the ultimate multiverse battle. Transformers: Invasion!

This amazing six-figure Transformers: Invasion box set features: the Evil Ultra Magnus, Evil Tracks, Heroic Treadshot and Heroic Soundwave from
the Shattered Glass Universe. From the Classics Universe, two updates fans have been wanting for years! The “Overlord” Classics Gigatron, and the Pretender Commander Classics Metalhawk!

Bit "meh" to more Shattered Glass, but if Tracks is the RTS toy in Red (eg 85 Box Art) I'd be quite happy. Let the figure speculation begin.

Tetsuwan Convoy
25th December 2011, 03:23 PM
Good to see some more Shattered Glass, but have a slight feeling it's the club's way to cheat out on coming up with new ideas.

Lessee, Generations G2 Prime as Magnus, WFC Soundwave as SW and thunderwing as Metalhawk.

Hmm, Wonder which figure has the nuts to become Overlord?

I agree with the Tracks comment there PB. Red would be sweet.

Treadshot hey? Tricky... Another Actionmaster character, Hope he comes with his buddy!

loophole
25th December 2011, 05:39 PM
the article below has some promo artwork and it looks as though Soundwave will be using the Universe Ironhide/Ratchet mould.

http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/botcon-12-brochure-now-live-six-figure-set-revealed/23531/

but overall this set doesnt excite me so far

fatbot
25th December 2011, 05:39 PM
take another look at SG Soundwave mate, that's the CHUG Ironhide body, not the WFC Soundwave body.

now, i gotta find some one to get them for me.

lcz128
25th December 2011, 06:36 PM
I would like to get this set... Anyone able to pick one up for me? ... Overlord and Metalhawk are the ones that sold me!!!

kup
25th December 2011, 07:47 PM
This is very interesting indeed. I am looking forward to photos of their Overlord and Metalhawk.

Zippo
25th December 2011, 07:55 PM
Well damn, I am going to have to try and offload a heap more toys in order to afford this set.

SharkyMcShark
25th December 2011, 09:07 PM
Shattered Glass is such an easy pass.

Money saved.

But then the last truly great Botcon set was the Dawn of Future's Past. The creativity and originality since then seems to have taken a nose dive off a cliff (that said last years was a decent concept, my distaste for anything Animated aside).

loophole
25th December 2011, 09:21 PM
Im gonna guess that Metalhawk is just going to be a seeker repaint *sigh*

Hursticon
26th December 2011, 01:54 AM
Wow, these announcements have done extremely little to rouse my interest in BOTCON (Apart from Metalhawk and Overlord), not that I could afford attending or picking up these sets; but still I remain completely "meh" to these convention 'Exclusive Figures' - '06 and '07's figure sets remain the only sets to of ever earned my admiration and consideration. :cool:

Shattered Glass = Pathetic. :rolleyes:

swoop
26th December 2011, 07:16 AM
With the exception of ultra magnus I have high hopes for the rest of the set. I cant think of a mold from classics that would be good for overlord, maybe they'll go back to the cybertron series and use metroplex I could get behind that.

For the moment I'm more hoping that orders for the set wont start till late january early feb when I'm back at work.

griffin
26th December 2011, 09:20 PM
So which one do you think counts as what they were referring to as being the "Gen1" character that "hasn't had a homage toy done yet", or is it likely to be one of the at-show toys?
Could they have been meaning the Soundwave perhaps? I wouldn't count the box-van mould as a homage to Soundwave... and would say that the Device Label Soundwave was an existing recent homage "toy".

(I don't think the JP late-Gen1 characters (Metalhawk, Overlord) should count though, as FunPub were generating hype by implying that they were referring to an early Gen1 "classic" character)

Sleeve
26th December 2011, 09:35 PM
So which one do you think counts as what they were referring to as being the "Gen1" character that "hasn't had a homage toy done yet", or is it likely to be one of the at-show toys?
Could they have been meaning the Soundwave perhaps? I wouldn't count the box-van mould as a homage to Soundwave... and would say that the Device Label Soundwave was an existing recent homage "toy".

(I don't think the JP late-Gen1 characters (Metalhawk, Overlord) should count though, as FunPub were generating hype by implying that they were referring to an early Gen1 "classic" character)

I don't think it could be Soundwave seeing as how there's the Cybertron and WFC versions, which would fall under 'homage' in my mind.

Considering it's a 6-figure set, I can't imagine any of the figures will be bigger than Deluxe either. Maybe they'll leave a larger class for an at-show figure. Or they'll surprise us and Overlord will be the Lugnut mold. :p

CHILENO20
27th December 2011, 08:44 PM
easy to see what ultra magnus & tracks will be. ive heard that soundwave will be a classics ironhide repaint. as for the rest im speculate thunderwing mold for metalhawk & galvatron or wfc megatron mold for overlord. treadshot has me stumped though. as for troop builders im guessing sg junkions. anyone else?

Paulbot
27th December 2011, 10:59 PM

Soundwave being a Ironhide repaint was established in the Club fiction some time ago, but that's pretty obscure in general so most people would have missed it.

I think they might mean one of these two, but you're right, both weren't sold in the States so they mean very little to the US collectors.

I'd reckon it'll be one of the At Convention exclusives.

Im gonna guess that Metalhawk is just going to be a seeker repaint *sigh*

I'd say so. We already know what that might look like thanks to PrimulArchangel (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?p=272636). I guess some people hear the word "Pretender" and think it must be a Thunderwing repaint (why not Skullgrin :p ).

Will Overlord be a tank or a jet? Maybe he'll be a repaint of Tankor and be a tank(er truck) and jet. :p If enough people like the Evil Decepticons page on Facebook, apparently it will be revealed tomorrow says BotCon's twitter. (It's winning so far).

It occurs to me that Treadshot could be a Legends Megatron... Four deluxes, a voyager and one legend?

Ode to a Grasshopper
27th December 2011, 11:33 PM
I'll laugh if they use Animated Blitzwing for Overlord.:D

griffin
28th December 2011, 12:05 AM
Why can't they use the Voyager Megatron for Treadshot, since it has a revolver look to it. Or did they say the box-set will only have Deluxe figures?

Tetsuwan Convoy
28th December 2011, 04:28 AM
I reckon a boxxset of deluxes is a bit of a ripoff. I'd expect at least 1 Voyager sized figure in the set, which has been the trend for them.

Will Overlord be a tank or a jet? Maybe he'll be a repaint of Tankor and be a tank(er truck) and jet. :p If enough people like the Evil Decepticons page on Facebook, apparently it will be revealed tomorrow says BotCon's twitter. (It's winning so far).

It occurs to me that Treadshot could be a Legends Megatron... Four deluxes, a voyager and one legend?
I hope its not Tankor. What an awful creature that thing is. Really none of its modes successfully work.:p

Video is up of First revealed character... Gigatron. Voyager sized <spoiler>Bludgeon<end>
http://www.botcon.com/BotCon2012/

Can't say I am all that impressed. Doesn't look terribly Overlordy to me...

SharkyMcShark
28th December 2011, 04:45 AM
I am enjoying that they're using movie line molds

kup
28th December 2011, 04:47 AM
I am rather underwhelmed. Very forced and unsuitable mold for Overlord, looks like next year's exclusive will not be as impressive as 2006, 2007 and even 2008 sets.

I hope that Overlord ends up growing on me but first impression is 'meh'.

Paulbot
28th December 2011, 07:16 AM
I think it looks fine. I had wondered about that toy but its (questionable) "movie" line status made me think it was a long shot.

Why can't they use the Voyager Megatron for Treadshot, since it has a revolver look to it. Or did they say the box-set will only have Deluxe figures?

I was pretty certain Gigatron would be a Voyager (at least) and if there's going to be Voyagers in the box I thought one of the six will need to be small and a gun seems best canditate.

GoktimusPrime
28th December 2011, 08:38 AM
BotCon 2012 toy reveal (Overlord^Gigatron)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9ncc_64Ync

fatbot
28th December 2011, 11:02 AM
overlord does look good, but it's surprising that they are using a movie mold after saying they couldn't use them due to licenseing issues.

kup
28th December 2011, 11:09 AM
overlord does look good, but it's surprising that they are using a movie mold after saying they couldn't use them due to licenseing issues.

It's possible that they meant that for actual in-movie characters that use licensed vehicle molds like Bumblebee or Ironhide.

Paulbot
28th December 2011, 11:42 AM
Is Bludgeon a licensed tank (like Bumblebee and Ironhide have licenced car company logos on the packaging) or does he just look like a real world tank? That'd be the difference.

Paulbot
28th December 2011, 12:12 PM
Tank mode and robot mode pics of Gigatron are now on the BotCon site

http://www.botcon.com/BotCon2012/bc12gigatron.cfm

The choice of colours is good, the body still doesn't quite seem right. Maybe because he's holding the swords which doesn't seem right for the character?

Gutsman Heavy
28th December 2011, 01:25 PM
Easy pass

Hursticon
28th December 2011, 02:17 PM
Hmm, interesting that they've coined him Gigatron - I wonder if this is perhaps due to Hasbro wishing to use the Overlord name themselves?

I don't buy the explanation of "The U.S. only knows him as Gigatron" as it is a load of Beryllium Baloney :rolleyes:, and I doubt it'd be due to Copyright either as they'd just slap "Decepticon" in front of "Overlord", re: Decepticon Overlord ;), so what other possible reasons might there be? :confused:

kup
28th December 2011, 03:50 PM
I am also not liking the face sculpt. I can see that they tried to execute Roche's style from LSOTW but it hasn't been done right so it really looks somewhat goofy and out of place on that Bludgeon body.

I guess that I will need to wait for a 3rd party to do this character right.

When it comes to Gigatron, no one but Hasbro knows him as such. I believe this is another 'Tankor' style naming nonsense. They don't have to name him Gigatron but someone with pull thinks he should.

swoop
28th December 2011, 03:53 PM
I'm happy enough with the bludgeon mould used for overlord, the colours and head sculpt look good.

Given the use of movie moulds I'm starting to think that the terradive mould could be used for metalhawk

CHILENO20
28th December 2011, 04:15 PM

thats what i heard as well. im guessing that they must have worked a way around it. or maybe it was mold is technically a classics mold and used it for the movie. i think it looks great but maybe with a bit more black for the highlights. since they used a mold that no1 was expecting, the treadshot one is wide open. any1 want to hazard a guess?

Ode to a Grasshopper
28th December 2011, 05:20 PM
Interesting choice, but a big pass from me. Doesn't look very Overlord-y IMO.

I would have gone for Universe Silverbold, maybe with a leg and gun remold.

Quickstrike
28th December 2011, 05:53 PM
When it comes to Gigatron, no one but Hasbro knows him as such. I believe this is another 'Tankor' style naming nonsense. They don't have to name him Gigatron but someone with pull thinks he should.

I think it's safe to assume that it's just a trademark issue.

I have the same problem with this as I did with Banzaitron. It looks nice, but no matter what colour scheme you put on this mold, it's still going to look like a robot skeleton samurai aka Bludgeon.

GoktimusPrime
28th December 2011, 06:14 PM
Hmm, interesting that they've coined him Gigatron - I wonder if this is perhaps due to Hasbro wishing to use the Overlord name themselves?

I don't buy the explanation of "The U.S. only knows him as Gigatron" as it is a load of Beryllium Baloney :rolleyes:, and I doubt it'd be due to Copyright either as they'd just slap "Decepticon" in front of "Overlord", re: Decepticon Overlord ;), so what other possible reasons might there be? :confused:
This (http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51SmvcMeamL._SL500_.jpg).

Still... it's a BotCon toy that's aimed at fans... fans know who freakin' Overlord is! :rolleyes: It'd be a weak excuse for a regular store release, it's a urine-poor excuse for an exclusive figure.

Is Bludgeon a licensed tank (like Bumblebee and Ironhide have licenced car company logos on the packaging) or does he just look like a real world tank? That'd be the difference.
Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Type 90 JGSDF main battle tank (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_90_Ky%C5%AB-maru)

I think it's safe to assume that it's just a trademark issue.

I have the same problem with this as I did with Banzaitron. It looks nice, but no matter what colour scheme you put on this mold, it's still going to look like a robot skeleton samurai aka Bludgeon.
The only part that looks skeletal is the face. The rest of the body looks samurai-armour-esque... which does work for Banzaitron (so does the helmet, if not the face)... doesn't quite work for Overlord though. The only thing that looks Overlordy on that mould is that new head.

I don't think it looks too bad though. Masterforce Overlord's character did have a fierce sense of warrior honour - so that kinda makes sense. Not Hasbro Overlord though... as we saw in LSotW he's just a cruel amoral son of a glitch (and absolutely awesome villain! :D). ;)

Sleeve
28th December 2011, 08:07 PM

From Botcon's Twitter:

"Maybe. But these are all just 'Transformers'...“@DeadMan323: @BotCon nice choice of mold. So are we expecting any more movie molds?”

"I.E. Mainline toys do not mean that they are solely intended for the movieverse. Seaspray and others are meant to be "mainline", not "movie"."

"Classics molds are amazing and they make up the clear majority of BotCon molds used this year..."

Tetsuwan Convoy
28th December 2011, 09:40 PM
The only part that looks skeletal is the face. The rest of the body looks samurai-armour-esque... which does work for Banzaitron (so does the helmet, if not the face)... doesn't quite work for Overlord though. The only thing that looks Overlordy on that mould is that new head.

I think the chest plate in particular has a skull-esque armour look to it imo, which is part of the reason I like this mould, for Bludgeon. With the tank mode the colours make it look a decent Overlord, but I see no relation for the robot mode.

as we saw in LSotW he's just a cruel amoral son of a glitch (and absolutely awesome villain!

Remember that this is Shattered Glass Overlord, so perhaps 'Overlord' is too nasty a name. Perhaps the angle the club will follow is his incredible honour and he faces his Evil Decepticon counterpart 'Overlord.'

Me no likey so far. Getting the set hinges on the other figures. There has better be some awesome stuff.

lcz128
28th December 2011, 09:51 PM
I think the tank mode looks ace.
The head looks nice enough too - reminds me of Roche's Overlord (though it doesn't look symmetrical in some of the images...)
I do think that the bot mode looks off though - the skeleton chest, the skeletal arms and the samurai motive just don't scream Overlord to me. Given how he looked (chunky, muscular, tough) in the LSOTW and also from me growing up watching Masterforce the botcon Overlord just looks too weedy and weak to do the character justice in my book.

Sleeve
28th December 2011, 10:01 PM
Remember that this is Shattered Glass Overlord, so perhaps 'Overlord' is too nasty a name. Perhaps the angle the club will follow is his incredible honour and he faces his Evil Decepticon counterpart 'Overlord.'

Overlord and Metalhawk are Classicsverse, the rest of the set is Shattered Glass.

i_amtrunks
29th December 2011, 04:34 PM
Meh on Bludgelord.

Guess it is one of the more decent choices out of the limited classics/non screen movie toys of recent lines to pick, but not a great looking toy even as a photoshop version, whch menas it'll look less appealing in real colours.

Autocon
29th December 2011, 05:13 PM
Too much blue for my liking, crappy colour shade of blue too. Needs to be darker no?

Tetsuwan Convoy
29th December 2011, 06:48 PM
Overlord and Metalhawk are Classicsverse, the rest of the set is Shattered Glass.

BAH! That makes it even worse.

valkyrie_76
29th December 2011, 07:38 PM
Heh.....was interested but I think the set is now looking 'meh' to me.

Bartrim
30th December 2011, 08:19 AM
I'm surprised that this was the first figure they revealed. Since this was the character most people were keen to see I thought it would be the last reveal.

Ode to a Grasshopper
30th December 2011, 11:22 AM
They took a vote on it.:)

Paulbot
30th December 2011, 12:05 PM
Given the use of movie moulds I'm starting to think that the terradive mould could be used for metalhawk

I'd like that. A seeker is a better match, but I want a repaint of Terradive (and Space Case just didn't do it for me).

They took a vote on it.:)

And it looks like Evil Autobots are up next later today, but unclear if it will be Ultra Magnus ("We can deal with that") or Tracks ("cause some road rage" which makes me think a Red Tracks is more likely now, yay :) )

kup
30th December 2011, 12:20 PM
Yeah a seeker mold would be the more suitable choice as Metal Hawk did always have very seeker like features. However that would be rather boring so I wouldn't mind something more innovative but still suitable to the character.

http://tfwiki.net/w2/images2/thumb/2/21/Metalhawk_robot.jpg/250px-Metalhawk_robot.jpg

You know what mold could also work? Cyclonus but with a new head and the pretender sword.

griffin
30th December 2011, 01:30 PM
For those who got #125 IDW comic, was the artist basing Metalhawk on any existing toy? If so, perhaps it may have been intentional, to coordinate with the impending BotCon toy (both of which would have gone through Hasbro for approval).
If not, The seeker mould would be closest to the original Gen1 toy's jet form though.

Paulbot
30th December 2011, 02:23 PM
For those who got #125 IDW comic, was the artist basing Metalhawk on any existing toy? If so, perhaps it may have been intentional, to coordinate with the impending BotCon toy (both of which would have gone through Hasbro for approval).

He actually looks a bit like Cybertron Brimstone in the comic actually. Perhaps going for a more literal metal hawk look.

There's a panel here that shows him off well:

http://www.seibertron.com/images/toys/uploads/1324425034_Transformers_DeathofOptimusPrime125_Pre view9.png

There's a great looking Metalhawk from Cyclonus on the AllSpark board (http://www.allspark.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=84142&view=findpost&p=1973427).

SharkyMcShark
30th December 2011, 03:21 PM
I like the use of Strafe/Mindwipe in the above picture.

snaketales
31st December 2011, 12:59 AM
The alt mode for Overlord looks nice - the colours seem spot on - but the robot mode still says Bludgeon to me... and where's the jet?
I saw one theory before the picture was released that energon Omega Supreme could be the base model. I guess the alt modes would have needed some work.
I have also seen some nice customs using Tidal Wave as the base.

fatbot
31st December 2011, 07:55 AM
pics of "Evil Tracks"

http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/botcon-2012-evil-autobot-tracks-revealed/23570/

http://www.seibertron.com/images/toys/uploads/1325266291_tracksBOTweb.jpg
http://www.seibertron.com/images/toys/uploads/1325266291_tracksALTweb.jpg

I like him, the head looks a bit dodgy, but he does look good.

i_amtrunks
31st December 2011, 12:16 PM
This set is an easy pass.

You'd think that Funpub could get a better photoshopper or their toy mock ups...

Paulbot
31st December 2011, 01:11 PM
Hopefully it's not that bright a blue. I'm disappointed they put a SG Autobot symbol on the hood on a join line. Will make it hard to repolabel it with proper Autobot symbols.

(some people think this is just a diaclone colour scheme but Tracks was released in these colours in G1 in limited European markets and was in these colours on the 85 back of box art)

Doubledealer
31st December 2011, 05:01 PM
One Shattered Glass Botcon set? Sure, why not! It's something a bit different.

Two Shattered Glass Botcon sets? Fantastic! Well, fantastic for those who bought the previous Botcon set. :/ What about the other 99.99% of the Transformers fandom?

Overlord? I cringed as soon as I heard this was to be in the set. There is no current mold that can do this character justice. Not Octane, not Blitzwing and definitely not Bludgeon! I'm hoping it will be a case of Botcon Scourge all over again and we get the real deal a bit later down the track.

Quickstrike
31st December 2011, 05:06 PM
Yep, that's Road Rage. Part of me wanted Tracks to be yellow, but this was always going to be the easy "2 for 1" redeco.

kup
31st December 2011, 09:32 PM
Overlord? I cringed as soon as I heard this was to be in the set. There is no current mold that can do this character justice. Not Octane, not Blitzwing and definitely not Bludgeon! I'm hoping it will be a case of Botcon Scourge all over again and we get the real deal a bit later down the track.

Unfortunately, Hasbro is likely not to see Overlord as a 'marketable' character. I know that they have done such 'obscure' characters in the past but Hasbro isn't known for consistency just whims. The only thing you can count on are the regular bunch of characters they like to do like Bumblebee, Prime and made up characters for their movie repaints.

In the event that they actually make an Overlord, I am not sure if they would do the character justice like making him Legends class or something unsuitable like this Botcon toy.

I know some will see it as negative but I see it as realistic. The best chance when it comes to doing Overlord justice would be from a 3rd party. I hope that I am proven wrong but I am not counting on it.

Sky Shadow
31st December 2011, 11:41 PM
I seem to be not amongst the masses in my thinking, but both revelations (Overlord and red Tracks) seem good to me. I'll also be happy with any toy in Metalhawk colours. All three of those are ridiculously expensive G1 toys - it's great that BotCon is releasing them at (ironically for exclusives) a fraction of what their original incarnations now cost. Shattered Glass Soundwave is an awesome recolour of an awesome mould (and a great character - my love for Shattered Glass Sir Soundwave is inversely proportional to my hatred of G1 Soundwave). And he wears a bandana! For me, it's looking like it's going to be a great boxed/bagged set - the best one since 2008.

kup
31st December 2011, 11:56 PM
I seem to be not amongst the masses in my thinking, but both revelations (Overlord and red Tracks) seem good to me. I'll also be happy with any toy in Metalhawk colours. All three of those are ridiculously expensive G1 toys - it's great that BotCon is releasing them at (ironically for exclusives) a fraction of what their original incarnations now cost. Shattered Glass Soundwave is an awesome recolour of an awesome mould (and a great character - my love for Shattered Glass Sir Soundwave is inversely proportional to my hatred of G1 Soundwave). And he wears a bandana! For me, it's looking like it's going to be a great boxed/bagged set - the best one since 2008.

Why does he wear a bandana?

Sky Shadow
1st January 2012, 12:23 AM
Why does he wear a bandana?

Because ponchos are so 2011. (Happy new year, Kup.)

I think I was wrong when I called it a bandana, it's more of a martial arts headband. And, in fiction, people always put those on just before they do something awesome. Shattered Glass Soundwave is always doing awesome things, so he's been wearing the headband ever since he first put it on when he got his new form in 2009. He's like Bruce Springsteen. Only awesomer.

SharkyMcShark
1st January 2012, 02:01 AM
Unfortunately, Hasbro is likely not to see Overlord as a 'marketable' character. I know that they have done such 'obscure' characters in the past but Hasbro isn't known for consistency just whims. The only thing you can count on are the regular bunch of characters they like to do like Bumblebee, Prime and made up characters for their movie repaints.

In the event that they actually make an Overlord, I am not sure if they would do the character justice like making him Legends class or something unsuitable like this Botcon toy.

I know some will see it as negative but I see it as realistic. The best chance when it comes to doing Overlord justice would be from a 3rd party. I hope that I am proven wrong but I am not counting on it.

:rolleyes: Yes unlike Megatron and Starscream who existed in real life.

kup
1st January 2012, 02:26 AM
Because ponchos are so 2011. (Happy new year, Kup.)

Happy new year to you too! :)

Paulbot
4th January 2012, 08:13 AM
Soundwave's been revealed (http://www.botcon.com/BotCon2012/bc12soundwave.cfm).

According to their tweets the heads been moulded so it looks straight ahead unlike the base toy.

Oh but want a headband to go with his in-fiction look? You'll have to buy that separately from the club store.

kup
4th January 2012, 08:40 AM
Soundwave's been revealed (http://www.botcon.com/BotCon2012/bc12soundwave.cfm).

According to their tweets the heads been moulded so it looks straight ahead unlike the base toy.

Oh but want a headband to go with his in-fiction look? You'll have to buy that separately from the club store.

Wow! That sucks when it comes to the head band. What a blatant 'cash-in' attempt!

I also can't say that I like the actual figure. The head looks too much like Optimus Prime and the body looks awkward.

Yeah, I am not digging this..They should have allowed the Spark white MP3 Soundwave as Shattered Glass and made another character with this mold like Skids.

Metal Hawk is the only announced toy from this set that I am looking forward to being revealed.

Edit: If the rumors on the other thread are correct, this years set could be much better than what it first seems! Hope the execution is right bu the mold choices are indeed interesting.

griffin
4th January 2012, 12:01 PM
I wonder why it has a GIJoe Dreadnock (Zartan) face on the side... Perhaps a tease at future FunPub crossover exclusives or story perhaps?. Or to see if it solicits demand for some sort of crossover in the future (since they have both brands to play with).

Paulbot
4th January 2012, 12:16 PM
I wonder why it has a GIJoe Dreadnock (Zartan) face on the side... Perhaps a tease at future FunPub crossover exclusives or story perhaps?. Or to see if it solicits demand for some sort of crossover in the future (since they have both brands to play with).

That comes straight from the comic that gave SG Soundwave his earth mode (http://www.transformersclub.com/_images/DHpage2.jpg) two years ago, so it would have to be a very long term plan!

In the regular universe, Cold Slither (http://gijoe.wikia.com/wiki/Cold_Slither) was the band Zartan was frontman of in the GIJoe cartoon, but in the Shattered Glass universe they aren't evil (and play concerts with the Misfits the baddies from Jem who are also not evil in the SG universe).

kup
4th January 2012, 12:39 PM

I didn't notice that he had a Zartan face. I could have understood if it was a regular universe Soundwave but on Shattered Glass? Very strange unless he is also from that universe as Paulbot mentioned.

Paulbot
4th January 2012, 12:40 PM
I didn't notice that he had a Zartan face. I could have understood if it was a regular universe Soundwave but on Shattered Glass? Very strange..

Zartan is not evil in Shattered Glass. He is the lead in a band called Cold Slither who were evil in the regular cartoon universe but not in this alternate reality. (That's the whole SG point, bad guys are good etc. ).

When Soundwave scanned an Earth vehicle it had a Cold Slither logo on it. You can see it in the link I provided to a comic strip (http://www.transformersclub.com/_images/DHpage2.jpg). The BotCon toy is based on this existing illustration of SG Soundwave which we learnt almost three years ago (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=3776) (when Griffin wondered if it would be a future exclusive. He was correct).

Sky Shadow
4th January 2012, 01:27 PM
For Kup - this is the 'evil' Cold Slither: http://youtu.be/osZ52A-_kpQ. The song was also 'evil' Soundwave's favourite song to play at Dancitron: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYbg_3Dd-As&feature=player_detailpage#t=265s and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPaIu_GQ-OI&feature=player_detailpage#t=246s. Hence the continuity-porn connection between the two for Shattered Glass.

There's a panel here that shows him off well:

http://www.seibertron.com/images/toys/uploads/1324425034_Transformers_DeathofOptimusPrime125_Pre view9.png

Primus that was an awesome comic - I'm so looking forward to 2012 from IDW.

Hursticon
4th January 2012, 02:56 PM
I don't like SG Soundwave... and I imagine The Real Soundwave's reaction would be akin to this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MYSAySwNvs). :mad:
This is what I'd like to do (http://youtu.be/uOfFgycK6fE?t=54s) to the design team behind this disgusting abuse of a license. :mad:

As this is a public area, I will reserve my more candid thoughts on this figure... ;)

Sky Shadow
4th January 2012, 04:07 PM
That's an awful headsculpt on Shattered Glass Soundwave. Would it have been that hard to at least mould a headband around his forehead, even if it didn't have the trailling ends?

Quickstrike
4th January 2012, 05:30 PM
No headband, no sale! Plus his head is too tall and skinny.

Ahahaha what the hell?

I'm also hoping that Treadshot is Generations Warpath coloured like Treadshot. (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Treadshot_%28Universe_2008%29) That would look snazzy.

Sky Shadow
4th January 2012, 07:49 PM
I'm also hoping that Treadshot is Generations Warpath coloured like Treadshot. (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Treadshot_%28Universe_2008%29) That would look snazzy.

I was thinking Generations Warpath too, only coloured like G1 Treadshot. They both have gunbarrels in their chests.

Quickstrike
4th January 2012, 08:29 PM
I love Action Masters, so a G1 Treadshot Warpath would be great. It's supposed to be Shattered Glass Treadshot though, so...

Oh man, the same mold they used for Treadshot was also used to make Heavytread (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Heavytread_%28Universe%29) and he's coloured like Warpath! It's perfect!

griffin
5th January 2012, 01:18 AM
Since this was being touted as a Gen1 themed set/year, I'm expecting to see characters like Treadshot be homaging their Gen1 versions, not reflecting any following versions that were a completely new character with the same name (because of Hasbro name recycling).

As for the Soundwave bandanna - I'm not sure why they are charging extra for it, but they had a good reason why it wasn't included with the toy (because it was cheaper to produce in America, than trying to get it done in China and then packaged in with the toys). If they went to so much trouble to create it for that toy, they should at least be giving them away with the box-sets... unless they only made a small number, and will sell out real fast.

Sky Shadow
5th January 2012, 02:04 AM
Since this was being touted as a Gen1 themed set/year, I'm expecting to see characters like Treadshot be homaging their Gen1 versions, not reflecting any following versions that were a completely new character with the same name (because of Hasbro name recycling).

Except that if it is Shattered Glass Treadshot as solicited, it can't be in G1 Treadshot's colours. It would probably be in an Autobot Action Master's colours - Rad or Rollout maybe (or Jackpot or Minframe or Skyfall or Kick-Off). And since there's no modern Treadshot mould - the closest thing would be something that turns into a gun... like the Nightstick mould maybe? That would make a lot of sense if Metalhawk is Cyclonus. I also think Treadshot could be Legends Megatron with a new head.

Or it could just be a random mould in random colours.

griffin
5th January 2012, 03:44 AM
I didn't say anything about the colours. I know that the mirror universe versions are different colours... I was just commenting on the "versions" as in what they look like or transform into. They made Overlord into a tank, based on the tank portion of his Gen1 character toy. And they made Soundwave into a van thanks to their comic a couple years ago (and because the window chest resembles the gen1 robot mode's window)... but if they do a Treadshot (in any colour) that doesn't turn into a weapon, or looks like a lot like his Gen1 robot mode, then it would be one figure that isn't homaging it's Gen1 counterpart (as they had implied they would).

But I guess it couldn't be any worse than their Gen2 set a couple years ago, that hardly had any uniquely Gen2 character toys in it (had mostly Euro Gen1 characters and Gen2 recoloured Gen1 toy characters).

Paulbot
6th January 2012, 10:36 AM
And Treadshot is a Jazz repaint (http://www.botcon.com/BotCon2012/bc12treadshot.cfm)... Um yeah. :confused:

kup
6th January 2012, 10:39 AM
And Treadshot is a Jazz repaint (http://www.botcon.com/BotCon2012/bc12treadshot.cfm)... Um yeah. :confused:

This doesn't look very G1 or Shattered Glass at all..

Looks ok but I don't really care so will pass.

Paulbot
6th January 2012, 10:40 AM
Oh TFwiki helpfully points out that he could be an SG version of Universe Treadshot (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Treadshot_%28Universe_2003%29) not G1 Treadshot, which explains the Aramda Side Swipe-like colours, and that toy came with an Ultra Magnus (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Battle_in_a_Box) so there's logic there but not what any one was expecting.

kup
6th January 2012, 10:41 AM
Oh TFwiki helpfully points out that he could be an SG version of Universe Treadshot (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Treadshot_%28Universe_2003%29) not G1 Treadshot, which explains the Aramda Side Swipe-like colours, and that toy came with an Ultra Magnus (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Battle_in_a_Box) so there's logic there but not what any one was expecting.

Yeah Maybe but it still feels rather forced as the 'shattered glass' version of Treadshot.

Paulbot
6th January 2012, 10:52 AM
Maybe they forgot there's a G1 character called Treadshot?

Or someone was a big fan of the Battle in the Box and decided to homage the rivalry between those incarnations of "Universe Ultra Magnus and Treadshot".

kup
6th January 2012, 10:57 AM
Maybe they forgot there's a G1 character called Treadshot?

Or someone was a big fan of the Battle in the Box and decided to homage the rivalry between those incarnations of "Universe Ultra Magnus and Treadshot".

Still feels like a very odd character to tribute in this way.

CHILENO20
6th January 2012, 10:58 AM

i guess it dosent say anywhere that the sg universe has to specifically have to be strictly g1. it does open it up for all other continuities to be used, they have used other contuniety molds before havnt they? it looks fine but i am not completely sold on it. still waiting for metalhawk, hopefully it will be the seeker mold, makes sense

kup
6th January 2012, 11:16 AM
It's certainly based on Armada Sideswipe:

http://tfwiki.net/w2/images2/8/85/Armada_Side_Swipe_toy.jpg

Still a weird choice as this character and toy does not merit any tributing as it's one of the worst toys in the Armada line. It seems to purposely ignore all the toy design progress made until then making it a block with arms.

Paulbot
6th January 2012, 11:45 AM
If you stick an Autobot symbol on BotCon Treadshot you do finally get a version of Armada Side Swipe who isn't a brick. Not that there's a lot of people demanding a new version of Side Swipe, but at least he was a character in the cartoon unlike Universe Treadshot.

Sky Shadow
6th January 2012, 12:55 PM
i guess it dosent say anywhere that the sg universe has to specifically have to be strictly g1. it does open it up for all other continuities to be used, they have used other contuniety molds before havnt they? it looks fine but i am not completely sold on it. still waiting for metalhawk, hopefully it will be the seeker mold, makes sense

It's not strictly G1 - Demolishor is the main character who seems to be there without a logical tie to G1. (There's also Heatwave and Side Burn, but there are reasons for their existence in that universe. And random jokes like Geronimo and Leader-1). But there's also no reason why this can't be G1 Treadshot's character (what little of it there is). It's just that - as I said earlier - he's impossible to visually 'homage' due to not having a modern mould or being able to use his colours.

I like today's revelation - and it is a clever Treadshot/Magnus rivalry homage. Also, it looks like the 'rumours' are probably true.

Doubledealer
6th January 2012, 01:26 PM
Finally, a decent Classics Nightbeat. First Botcon 2012 I want, nay, need. :D

i_amtrunks
6th January 2012, 02:11 PM
This box becomes less and less desirable to me every new reveal.

At least the colours look good on a decent figure, the exact opposite of Soundwave!

Quickstrike
6th January 2012, 02:43 PM
This is not the Treadshot I was expecting! I really like it though, it's clever and interesting which is what Botcon exclusives should be. They didn't have to change his colour scheme though, Universe Treadshot already had a red Decepticon symbol.

It also confirms that we're getting Kick-Off as well which is cool.

Well, there's nothing to say that Universe Treadshot isn't a G1 character.

CHILENO20
6th January 2012, 02:56 PM
This is not the Treadshot I was expecting! I really like it though, it's clever and interesting which is what Botcon exclusives should be. They didn't have to change his colour scheme though, Universe Treadshot already had a red Decepticon symbol.

It also confirms that we're getting XXXXX as well which is cool.

Well, there's nothing to say that Universe Treadshot isn't a G1 character.

kick-off? ill buy that, they could go with a whole action master angle here, or maybe already that's an idea for next yr? the whole box is very much an eclectic mix. metalhawk will either make or break this boxset as a whole i think.

griffin
6th January 2012, 03:11 PM
Spoilers people.

Please be mindful of others who don't want to know about the rumoured botcon figures until they are officially revealed.

(The rumour topic has been removed as well, as seibertron were asked to remove theirs)

SharkyMcShark
6th January 2012, 03:19 PM
This set looks a real killer.

In that I might die of boredom from thinking about it.

Doubledealer
6th January 2012, 03:23 PM
http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/funny-pictures-this-owl-laughs-out-loud.jpg

fatbot
7th January 2012, 12:36 AM
It looks like Metalhawk is the dealbreaker for me, the rest look like no thought has gone into any of the mold choices.

CHILENO20
7th January 2012, 10:38 AM
registration is up, but the non attending selection isnt working!

CHILENO20
7th January 2012, 11:03 AM
damn, non attendee's have to wait til next week, oh well, at least i saw what metalhawk & ultra magnus look like. dun worry, no spoilers from me

kup
7th January 2012, 11:53 AM
There is a tiny picture of Metal Hawk and Magnus here:

http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/botcon-2012-registration-is-now-open-all-six-boxset-figures-revealed/23618/

Honestly, I am having a hard time liking what I am seeing. I really want to like that Metal Hawk but for some stupid reason they decided to go with the Pretender Shell instead of the inner bot color scheme and it looks 'questionable' on the Thunderwing mold.

Looks like this year is marked by awesome characters being badly executed.

Sky Shadow
7th January 2012, 11:54 AM
damn, non attendee's have to wait til next week, oh well, at least i saw what metalhawk & ultra magnus look like. dun worry, no spoilers from me

Indeed. Metalhawk looks good. And the Custom Classes are (naturally) sold out already.

CHILENO20
7th January 2012, 01:05 PM
Indeed. Metalhawk looks good. And the Custom Classes are (naturally) sold out already.

if i was going his yr i could have gotten in, aint life a *bleep*. there was availablity for both days when i tried. well maybe next yr, i did get in for last yr, got myself a lovely animated minerva:)

liegeprime
7th January 2012, 01:37 PM
daaayyuuuuum, metalhawk!!! sigh, there goes that figure ever seeing an Updated mass release:(:(:( sometimes you really gotta hate Botcon!

Hursticon
7th January 2012, 04:06 PM
Looks like this year is marked by awesome characters being badly executed.

Evidently they've taken inspiration from Dawn of Future's Past - Dinobot... :rolleyes::(
Seriously, after such an amazing job last year with the Stunticon-Job set how could FunPub fail so spectacularly this year? :confused:

Quickstrike
7th January 2012, 05:58 PM
Hard to tell based on a tiny picture, but Metalhawk looks like he could be good. Ultra Magnus is basically what I expected. He looks nice!

There's a lot of blue in this set.

kup
7th January 2012, 10:24 PM
ok, this could redeem Metalhawk for me but I am not sure how good FP or Hasbro would be at painting a 'human' face right:

http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/botcon-2012-metalhawk-head-concept-sketch/23619/

If it is the full Pretender shell instead of a bad 'hybrid' of the shell and inner bot as it first seemed, then I am all for it but the execution needs to be right. So far the 'white' face we can see in the little pic isn't good but I am hoping it's not final.

Sky Shadow
7th January 2012, 10:51 PM
ok, this could redeem Metalhawk for me but I am not sure how good FP or Hasbro would be at painting a 'human' face right:

http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/botcon-2012-metalhawk-head-concept-sketch/23619/

If it is the full Pretender shell instead of a bad 'hybrid' of the shell and inner bot as it first seemed, then I am all for it but the execution needs to be right. So far the 'white' face we can see in the little pic isn't good but I am hoping it's not final.

I'm pretty sure that after thousands of G.I. Joes, Hasbro should know how to paint a human face. :) And this toy is just like Skullgrin or Bludgeon or whatever other recent Pretender shells have transformed into their 'inner' vehicle mode.

kup
8th January 2012, 12:36 AM
I'm pretty sure that after thousands of G.I. Joes, Hasbro should know how to paint a human face. :)

True but even some are hit and miss. Several Movie GI Joes had 'dopey' faces as do some Marvel and let's not forget human alliance figures. It's depending who you get within Hasbro/ or if FP can do human faces.

And this toy is just like Skullgrin or Bludgeon or whatever other recent Pretender shells have transformed into their 'inner' vehicle mode.

The concept was never my concern - The execution is.

griffin
8th January 2012, 01:31 AM
Metalhawk & Ultra Magnus will be revealed in full in the next few days, but tiny pics were included on one of the registration pages, which are mirrored here:

http://www.toycollectors.com.au/blog/099.jpg
http://www.toycollectors.com.au/blog/100.jpg

fatbot
8th January 2012, 03:33 AM
Metalhawk & Ultra Magnus will be revealed in full in the next few days, but tiny pics were included on one of the registration pages, which are mirrored here:

http://www.toycollectors.com.au/blog/099.jpg
http://www.toycollectors.com.au/blog/100.jpg

I reckon I'll pass on the Iacon set, maybe someone that is going can get them for me, i'm not to fussed after seeing these pics.

Paulbot
13th January 2012, 11:37 AM
Evil Ultra Magnus (http://www.botcon.com/BotCon2012/bc12magnus.cfm) pics are available and he is very blue.

Doubledealer
13th January 2012, 11:46 AM
Epic fail.

griffin
13th January 2012, 11:53 AM
The new head is apparently from the instructions (in which Hasbro would "leak" their intended redeco versions... if there is a second release of those moulds).

Paulbot
13th January 2012, 12:04 PM
The new head is apparently from the instructions (in which Hasbro would "leak" their intended redeco versions... if there is a second release of those moulds).
Same as Treadshot's head apparently.

Sky Shadow
13th January 2012, 01:13 PM
Nice Powered Convoy colours - I wonder whose head that is supposed to be. Just a Nemesis Prime?

UltraMarginal
13th January 2012, 01:29 PM
as with all the pictures this year there seems to be something wrong with the saturation but I like this quite a lot, I like blue, what can I say.

CHILENO20
13th January 2012, 02:26 PM
looks great to me but im not sure about the head. did they fail to colour in the piping??

Tetsuwan Convoy
13th January 2012, 07:16 PM
I was all excite about the SG universe, but so far none of this set have made me go "WOW, MUST HAVE" which is usually enough for me to get one. That Ultra Magnus doesn;t do it for me at all

lcz128
14th January 2012, 06:38 AM
I suppose one thing that works for this magnus is that people who want to repurpose him for classics can make him powered convoy and take the regular Optimus head and put it on him when you swap out the head for the maketoys tanker... Haha

Sky Shadow
14th January 2012, 09:56 AM
Boo!

http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/982/39697029393530398777528.jpg

Doubledealer
14th January 2012, 11:44 AM
Looks like the aftermath of a fight between a king crab and an ice cube. :p

fatbot
14th January 2012, 11:49 AM
Looks like the aftermath of a fight between a king crab and an ice cube. :p

Don't you mean the mutant love child of a king crab and an ice cube?

Doubledealer
14th January 2012, 01:12 PM
Don't you mean the mutant love child of a king crab and an ice cube?

That too! :p

kup
20th January 2012, 08:57 AM
Metalhawk in detail.

http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/botcon-2012-metalhawk-revealed/23713/

Yeah he is based on the Pretender shell but the head doesn't look right in that picture. I am still skeptical as for the TF line, Hasbro has been unable to produce decent human faces as Human Alliance has proven.

fatbot
20th January 2012, 10:47 AM
Metalhawk in detail.

http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news

Yeah he is based on the Pretender shell but the head doesn't look right in that picture. I am still skeptical as for the TF line, Hasbro has been unable to produce decent human faces as Human Alliance has proven.

that's pretty good, now i'm really wanting the set, boxed or bagged.

Doubledealer
20th January 2012, 01:05 PM
Metalhawk in detail.

http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news

Metalhawk (http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/botcon-2012-metalhawk-revealed/23713/)

Maybe it's just me but he looks more like a modern Centurions toy rather than a Transformer?

Sky Shadow
20th January 2012, 07:23 PM
Maybe it's just me but he looks more like a modern Centurions toy rather than a Transformer?

You're right, DD - it's Classics Ace McCloud with Sky Bolt!

Hursticon
21st January 2012, 02:40 PM
Metalhawk (http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/botcon-2012-metalhawk-revealed/23713/)

Hehe, yeah - I can see that description. :p:D