PDA

View Full Version : Choices of glue for styrene sheets

Tabias Prime
7th January 2012, 10:39 AM
Hey guys, I'm starting my first styrene based project and I'm wondering what is the best glue to use for bonding the stuff together.. Every time I do a search I end up on pages in the USA. I need stuff locally, Perth if possible, if some one can please point me in the right direction it would be helpful. Also is it possible to use the glue for the model kits you use to buy from Kmart and Big W??? is this the same stuff or is it a specific type of glue I need??

loophole
7th January 2012, 10:48 AM
this stuff is pretty good

http://www.zapglue.com/

MindsetOverhaul
7th January 2012, 12:03 PM
plastic welders are probably best, they're a 2-parter epoxy that comes in the twin tube style syringe. there seem to be few of 'em around and i can only ever find it at automotive stores ie Auto-1, Repco etc... but it is the stuff for plastic jobs, it won't eat your shit like many of the cheap thick super glues. Sets in roughly 5 minutes.

if you want to be really productive and you're tacking together lots of bits with intent of bogging it up with putty and/or greenstuff, i'd recommend LOCTITE Control Liquid. strong bond in less than 30 seconds and easy to find at most hardware stores. there are that many damn bunnings stores around perth, you won't have a problem.

have fun!

gamblor916
7th January 2012, 12:51 PM
Just use regular styrene cement you can find at any hobby store. I recommend the stuff in a bottle rather than the tube variety.

MindsetOverhaul
7th January 2012, 07:52 PM
Just use regular styrene cement you can find at any hobby store. I recommend the stuff in a bottle rather than the tube variety.

that stuff's good alright. it creates a great bond ... - ... once it cures.
the styrene cement i've used takes like 20mins to set and i don't have that kinda time to hold or balance shit in place while i wait for it to bond. but, to reiterate, it does creates a reeeeaally strong bond, shit, you leave that stuff for a week and it's practically inseparable!

Tabias, there are shit-tonnes of proddy to use. what you'll find easiest to work with will (obviously) depend on your materials, build scale and pace you like to work at. e.
i reckon you trial and error a couple of things on small surfaces and see what you like.